TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

New TOOL single - Vicarious

I really like TOOL. I have all their stuff before 10,000 Days and I have listened to the album. After listening to it though, I personally am pretty dissapointed and don't plan on buying it. I feel like it's basically Lateralus, but not as good. Felt like too much filler to me, but maybe it's just me. I've only listened through it once and I didn't like it too much. I'll prob give it another listen sometime, but I don't plan on buying it anymore.

They played the entire album on WBCN today during Adam12's lunch. A big ol' bag of "meh." In fact, the cops should arrest Maynard for being behind another huge "meh" lab.

It's just too bad that the more I hear their music, the less impressed I am. Wow! Danny Carey can fill space with off-time beats! HURRAH!

Hey, look...Maynard's using weak metaphors and big words again! YAY!

And...well...Adam and Justin are lame, but I guess they're good at creating simple-yet-droning-and-excessively-long music.

at least it came in a cool package......

Fine, I'll edit it!

There.

Same damn point. If someone goes into listening to an album thinking "This album is gonna SUCK!", chances are, they're going to hate it. If someone goes into it thinking "I'm going to LOVE this album!!" you're going to give it more chances than you normally would. Big friggin' whoop. You can come up with a hundred different things that suck about anything, and you can make a convincing case that it does, in fact, suck. Being a political nerd, I'm great at it myself. But, nonetheless, Laz has basically bombarded this thread with his anti-Tool rants with the disclaimer "LISTEN, I LIKE TOOL, BUT........"

It's kind of annoying. I'm curious as to what people think about the album (I'm liking it more as I listen to it more), and it seems like all this thread has become is Laz browbeating people into agreeing with him. It's slow? 'k. The songs are all about fisting? Well, I don't know what all of them are about, so maybe... I mean, I guess there was a vague lyric in there that could possibly be construed into... well... shit, Tool sucks! They're not the greatest musicians to ever grace the planet? FUCK! I HATE TOOL!!

I was reading Amazon reviews of this and bumped into this one:

NOW, by hint i have found a code in Tool albums, Opiate had a hidden track about a man on drugs, it being of a sexual nature, then going to undertow, with "prison sex" and the artwork of the album of the same nature, then a hidden track on "undertow" talking of a religeous nature, leading to AEnima, with songs such as "Eulogy" and "Jimmy", last song "Third Eye" of a spirtual nature leading to Lateralus, with songs such as Parabol/Parabola, Schism, Lateralus and Reflection leading to its last song of a higher power and at my guess thats what i guessed their next album would be about, or a higher power, and it seemed to be with songs like "10,000 days" and "Right in Two" and the previous albums leaving hints for its predessesor, !0,000 days leaves no hint meaning that maybe Opiate-10,000 days was a story in itself. Something very different is very possible to follow.

I fucking love Amazon.com.

I loved Tool a few years back (evidence of such can be found on this very board, I'm sure) and saw them twice in 2002, but I just kind of got bored after that and have grown out of them since. The whole arc is very much like how I came to feel about Nine Inch Nails, with all the relevant events moved up about three years on my personal timeline.

The album definatly grows on you, but I think thats the style of their music. They have the few songs to draw you in, and the more you listen to it, the more you enjoy it as a whole.

I have to agree that it seems that Laz is going a bit "there are better bands that I like, that aren't getting the same mainstream appeal. Tool suck in comparison and don't deserve their fame" frame of mind. It's not the best album I've ever heard, but it's not a write off straight away either. I think any CD I've enjoyed took me multiple listens to enjoy before I pass a final judgement.

I'm loving "vicarious" but the rest of the cd seems way weird. Damn near ever track begins with a minute of almost silence.

I almost wish Tool would go back to the Opiate/Undertow style and bring some of these songs in at less than 6 minutes. I listened to Opiate last night and enjoy it a lot. There's just 6 songs and it's an EP, but at least those songs go somewhere.

Guest Felonies!

Go for it. I need some more recommendations. Or might as well just hijack this one

nah Milky is gone from there too, he said he's "got some stuff going on".

let the speculation begin.

I figured that was a possibility when I posted that.

So Incandeza, when do i get the link?

Maynard said in an interview, roughly at the time when the anti-war APC album came out, in regards to Opiate/Undertow like music, "I don't do that stuff anymore. I don't think like that anymore, I don't feel like that anymore. If you want to hear that, buy Opiate, or listen to some other band."

So there's you answer. Basically he said he wasn't mad anymore...