TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

WWE match of the year so far?

Oh, and Mickie/Trish was good, but certainly not the best women's match in WWE history. Go back and watch some tapes from 94-95 when the Japanese chicks were around, especially the Alundra Blaze vs. Bull Nakano matches.

My favorite WWF/E women's match is still the ladies match from Survivor Series 1987. The work of everyone in that match was great (save Marie and Christianello since they were the designated jobbers for their team). Plus, it featured the nicest giant swing I've ever seen.

Definitely... it's all about the Jumpin Bomb Angels. The stuff they were doing during that period was insane... it practically showed up 90% of the guys on the roster.

Also, I'm sure that in the days before PPVs and live weekly TV, women like Moolah and Sherri had some great matches.

So if you want to say Mickie/Trish is the best women's match of the "Divas era" then fine, but to automatically declare it the best women's match in company history may be a little short sighted.

Oh, and Mickie/Trish was good, but certainly not the best women's match in WWE history. Go back and watch some tapes from 94-95 when the Japanese chicks were around, especially the Alundra Blaze vs. Bull Nakano matches.

My favorite WWF/E women's match is still the ladies match from Survivor Series 1987. The work of everyone in that match was great (save Marie and Christianello since they were the designated jobbers for their team). Plus, it featured the nicest giant swing I've ever seen.

my only complaint about that match was the numerous times they did the ol "drag her into the ring by her hair" spot...got really old, like they couldn't think of anything else...oh and Monsoon's announcing job was atrocious, he couldn't even be bothered to learn their names...I hate to say that about Monsoon, because he's my all-time favorite commentator, but damn dude, do your homework! Otherwise, Sheri, the Angels, the Glamour Girls, Velvet Macyntire and even Moolah did a really good job out there.

Guest Coffey
I wouldn't consider it botched since, IIRC, Trish immediately clutched the knee that had been worked on earlier in the match.

You'd be wrong. The match was supposed to finish with Mickie using the Stratusfaction. They fucked it up, OBVIOUSLY, fucking OBVIOUSLY fucked it up, and improvised the "Mick Kick" finish. If you don't see that, you're a mongoloid.

Guest Princess Leena

At least Trish did a good job covering it up by going to the knee. And Ross for picking up that, also. So, I excuse the botched ending, somewhat.

I wouldn't consider it botched since, IIRC, Trish immediately clutched the knee that had been worked on earlier in the match.

You'd be wrong. The match was supposed to finish with Mickie using the Stratusfaction. They fucked it up, OBVIOUSLY, fucking OBVIOUSLY fucked it up, and improvised the "Mick Kick" finish. If you don't see that, you're a mongoloid.

To me, had they have gone back to the bulldog spot, then I'd say it was horribly botched. But, they quickly improvised to a finish that made plenty of sense before the crowd even had a chance to crap on it. So, while a spot may have been botched, due to Trish's quick-witted selling and the quickness of Mickie's kick to finish Trish off, I still wouldn't consider the finish botched since it all flowed in its own way.

Guest Coffey
At least Trish did a good job covering it up by going to the knee. And Ross for picking up that, also. So, I excuse the botched ending, somewhat.

Oh, absolutely. I completely agree. They all did a great job covering it up. To act like it wasn't a botched spot is just being thick-headed though.

My personal favs in order

1) Angle vs Taker -No Way Out

2) Edge vs Foley -WM22

3) JBL vs Benoit -SD TV

4) Rey vs Finlay -SD TV

5) Mickie vs Trish -WM22

Nothing else is memorable enough to warrant consideration. There is a serious lack of Raw matches that are good, which is sad considering they are the brand that is pushed in any way as special.

It wasn't "Randy Orton whiffing an RKO on Chris Jericho spot" bad, but it was pretty bad...wenoticed it as we watched, the crowd was all over it...nice try Ross!

I can understand saying it was botched, because it was. That was just a case of the botch not really hurting the match. It played right into the story, so you can't really knock the match for it, unless your a perfectionist. Covering effectively for a mess-up is a subtle indicator of good wrestling ability.

It's not like when Orton whiffed on an RKO attempt on Jericho (the R-K-Whoa), then went right back to it. [EDIT] Damn, I see someone was quicker than me to hitting this example.

People keep mentioning Mickie/Trish and I understand its subjective of what you like and not like but can you seriously see this at a MOTY? To me it was enjoyable and even more so because of the awesome reactions from the fans in attendance. However Mickie/Trish couldnt hold a candle to Taker vs Angle for example or Rey vs Finlay or alike. I mean when it comes down to execution in the ring. I think people tend to overrate it because it was a good womens match. People who just watch WWE arent spoiled with that. But as good as Mickie/Trish was on a WWE womens level isnt near MOTY caliber. And we who have seen more joshi stuff (japanese womens wrestling) know that Mickie/Trish wasnt really all that special even for a womens match.

I would say its a good match but nowhere near MOTY.

I 100% co-sign this post.

But the fued as a whole has problay been the best of this year so far.

I agree that this is probably feud of the year so far. Im worrying that they wont find a good climax to it though. But thats in the future and for now it stands as a great feud.

this may sound crazy but so far HHH/Cena gets my "Yearly Andre/Hogan Match That Was Good For All The Wrong Reasons" award

I loved this match as well.

It was a smartly worked match, and the crowd.

My God, The Crowd!

Back to the Mickie Botch, I would say it was one of the best cover-ups I've ever seen.

Trish falls, grabs the worked over knee, Ross is selling it, and Mickie goes for Trish's secondary finisher.

I was diggin' it.

I think a leg submission hold and a tap out would have been a better finish to that match...why work the leg the whole time if you're just going to beat her with a bulldog or a kick to the head? Mick Kick, leg finisher, hold it for long after the bell has rung.

I think a leg submission hold and a tap out would have been a better finish to that match...why work the leg the whole time if you're just going to beat her with a bulldog or a kick to the head? Mick Kick, leg finisher, hold it for long after the bell has rung.

The argument could be made that the Stratusfaction or Mick Kick was just part of the bigger "Mickie wants to be just like Trish" story. She only worked the leg becuase of Trish accidentally nailing the ring post, so it seemed like a logical weardown strategy.

Another thing I liked about this match, was how the ladies countered most of each other's signature spots, which you don't see too often in women's matches. And how you could not like the split pull/kick to the head combo by Trish?

To me, had they have gone back to the bulldog spot, then I'd say it was horribly botched. But, they quickly improvised to a finish that made plenty of sense before the crowd even had a chance to crap on it. So, while a spot may have been botched, due to Trish's quick-witted selling and the quickness of Mickie's kick to finish Trish off, I still wouldn't consider the finish botched since it all flowed in its own way.

Make up your mind dude. You write that the finish "may have been botched" and then "[you] still wouldnt consider it botched". It WAS botched but they did as good of a job as anyone to cover it up. They saved it from being horrible but it was still botched.

Make up your mind dude. You write that the finish "may have been botched" and then "[you] still wouldnt consider it botched". It WAS botched but they did as good of a job as anyone to cover it up. They saved it from being horrible but it was still botched.

The spot was botched, but the finish turned out fine.

HHH vs Cena was entertaining due to the crowd heat, but the match itself SUCKED ASS. There is no other way to describe it. Angle vs Undertaker is going to take a miracle to beat for MOTY. Both men fighting over their submissions made for a hell of a fight. I love the ending too since it put over Angle's desperation to get the win. There was no way in hell he was getting out of the triangle choke and the rollup was his last resort to get the win. That match fucking ROCKS!

Quoted for truth. It was not unlike a couple of the spots in the Joe-Styles match, where AJ didn't know what to do and Joe had to cover for him. True, the spots didn't come off like they were supposed to, but the cover job kept them from being a disaster. Same holds true for the finish of James-Trish (although the finish looked horrible anyway, but that doesn't take away from the good improv job they did after the original finish was botched.)