TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

Aj vs Big Poppa Pump at next ppv??

Guest nokia

Dave Meltzer reports that there is talk in TNA of doing AJ Styles vs Scott Steiner at next month's Sacrifice PPV.

* A contrast in styles or can this be a good match ??

Well, it makes sense since it would be a top babyface vs top heel. It's obvious they're trying to move AJ away from the X Division again (which is what they should do at this point).

I think it won't be a great match, but AJ Styles should be able to carry Steiner to something decent.

Guest Coffey
Well, it makes sense since it would be a top babyface vs top heel. It's obvious they're trying to move AJ away from the X Division again (which is what they should do at this point).

It's what they should've done with Joe, not AJ. Joe just regained the damn X-Division title! :boxing:

It can be a good match, but it depends more on Steiner than Styles. Styles is good, but he's not at that technician level to where he can take his game down a notch to cater to his opponent, yet not lose a lot in match quality. Styles can make himself look great and can keep up with a good/great worker, but he's not at "good match with a broomstick" level yet and that is what working with Steiner will be like. If Steiner is game and can rein Styles in a bit, it can be good. Chances of that are not good though.

Personally I would have thought that AJ vs Abyss wouldnt work, but i was proved wrong there at last years Lockdown. Maybe I'll be proved wrong again. This will be the test to see if Steiner has still got what it takes.

Guest Chris Xtreme
Personally I would have thought that AJ vs Abyss wouldnt work, but i was proved wrong there at last years Lockdown. Maybe I'll be proved wrong again. This will be the test to see if Steiner has still got what it takes.

I actually don't think this is a bad idea. It won't be a match of the year canidate but it could be a decent match if AJ and Stiener Mess well. Plus it could help AJ get over with the casuals tuning in.

It's what they should've done with Joe, not AJ. Joe just regained the damn X-Division title!

I totally agree. Besides, I thought Styles was happier wrestling in the X Division?

As for a potential Styles/Steiner, I think that it would be a mess. I know he's had some good matches with Abyss but the last time I saw Steiner wrestle, during his WWE run, he was fucking awful. Unless he's suddenly remember how to work again I honestly don't see how this can be anything but terrible.

Guest Coffey

Why do people insist that Steiner was terrible during his WWE run? He was terrible at the start of his run, however he was injured and out of shape. During the end of his WWE run, when he was teaming and then feuding with Test, he was fine.

Meltzer's Update:

It's been reported that I've reported an A.J. Styles vs. Scott Steiner singles match on a TNA PPV. I've never reported it.

Not true? Whew...

I don't think it'd be that bad of a feud or match if it actually were to happen, Styles can work good with the big men (Abyss) and as long as Stiener doesn't get winded and do the same move the whole match while botching it half the time, it could be watchable. I guess that's asking too much from Stiener though. As far as whoever brought up Test/Stiener...

steinerslip37mg7xj7ik.gif

Differences being, of course, that Abyss has had at least entertaining matches with everybody he's ever feuded with. The short Abyss/Styles feud of late '03/early '04 was the best thing on TNA's weekly PPVs besides the Daniels/Ki/Sabin/Shane (now Bentley) stuff that lead to Ultimate X 2. Abyss is probably the best "big man" wrestler in the States, in that he WORKS the big man style (thus disqualifying Joe, who is a pretty massive guy but works a more technical/hard-hitting style). Abyss bumps his ass off routinely for everybody and anybody he works with, and his two signature moves (as simple as they are), the Black Hole Slam and the Rackbreaker, often look devastating.

Steiner...hasn't had much quality work without a shitload of overbooking since, oh...before the New Blood/Millionaire's Club fiasco, if not longer.

Don't forget that AJ and Abyss have known each other a long time and wrestled dozens of matches together before they finally got that PPV spotlight. Way back when Abyss was Prince Justice, I saw him and AJ absolutely tear shit up down in Wildside around '02.

Guest Coffey
I don't think it'd be that bad of a feud or match if it actually were to happen, Styles can work good with the big men (Abyss) and as long as Stiener doesn't get winded and do the same move the whole match while botching it half the time, it could be watchable. I guess that's asking too much from Stiener though. As far as whoever brought up Test/Stiener...

steinerslip37mg7xj7ik.gif

I could just as easily post animated .gifs of Styles botching spots, like his shitty flipping DDT thing, his "spiral tap" which has yet to connect correctly or his botched Styles Clash on Kazarian. That doesn't mean Styles is bad. Everyone fucks up every now and then. I hate botched spots more than anything else in wrestling as it completely takes me out of a match, that doesn't mean that Steiner wasn't still having more than passable matches in the WWE midcard during his last run.

What match from his run crossed the passable line? Not saying it didn't happen, but I don't remember off the top of my head. My memory of Stiener matches in WWE involved him using the same belly to belly suplex and getting blown up/winded by the end of every match. I would like to believe he's imrpoved, I'm a fan of his character and of him on the mic. I even think AJ could carry him to something decent if Stiener is motivated. But I don't know what the hell he's been up to since WWE, and if it's just been collecting more ring rust; than any long Stiener match won't be pretty.

The only problem with that gif is that it doesn't show Test selling it like a million bucks.

Steiner was GOD AWFUL during his solo run in the WWE. While is work with Test was somewhat watchable, it wasn't anything to be debating as great or proving that he can work a decent match. Steiner is a great character, and the way that TNA has been using him lately has hidden alot of his weaknesses as a wrestler since WCW died, but he isn't a good worker. He could be if his head was in the match the whole time, but I think that train has passed him a while back.

Styles and him would have a chuckle worthy match that would end in botched spot a mania and internet people laughing at it for years. Or Steiner would revert to pre-roid form and actually put on a decent match and it would be considered the best Big Man-Small Man match of the year. It's a crap shoot really.

Wasn't Steiner suffering from some extreme problems with his foot during his WWE run that has since been corrected? I know that doesn't account for the shitty quality of his matches, but maybe, he has gained a step or two since taking the past 2 years out of the spotlight. As long as he can go for about 10 minutes without being completely blown up (see vs HHH at Royal Rumble 2003) he should be decent enough.

I too really hope that Steiner can still do it in TNA. Maybe he'd be worth the money there paying for him (which I hope is not a lot)

The real problem is, when's the last time Steiner put on a good match? And by "good" I mean "makes me want to pay to see this match", not "man, considering that it was Steiner and Test that match didn't suck as bad as I feared it would".

Another factor is this: AJ is... kinda spoiled. He's used to wrestling top-quality opponents, and doesn't have much experience in carrying guys who have no business being in a wrestling ring. Minus a suplex or two, a Steiner/Styles match would look a lot like that match AJ had with Dusty Rhodes a couple years back.

I'd laugh for all the people complaining about Steiner's ring-work these days if out of nowhere in TNA he busted out the Frankensteiner again.

Doubt it'll happen, but still.

I have seen stranger things happen. Like every1 says it will all come down to him being into the match, if he could maintain his focus and actually concentrate i think it would be an ok match.

For such a match to work, there would have to be a whole bunch of variables in order.

1. AJ would have to be suitably motivated to have a good match. Seriously, this is an issue, he might be afraid of Steiner hurting him or might just be pissed off that he's in this match to begin with.

2. AJ would have to be the one to call the match. He's got a LOT more moves, spots, and bumps in him than Steiner does. But that leads to...

3. Steiner has to be willing to work with his younger opponent and understand that he has to make AJ look good, and it's not just the Steiner Show out there.

4. Steiner has to be as healthy as he can be. He needs to have all his nagging injuries thoroughly rehabbed, and losing some of that freakish muscle mass would honestly do him a lot of good.

IF all four of those criteria are met, then AJ and Steiner could indeed have a good match... but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Exactly. But as Metlzer said, he never reported it. But it is something that the booking team can look at down the line.

The real problem is, when's the last time Steiner put on a good match? And by "good" I mean "makes me want to pay to see this match", not "man, considering that it was Steiner and Test that match didn't suck as bad as I feared it would".

Another factor is this: AJ is... kinda spoiled. He's used to wrestling top-quality opponents, and doesn't have much experience in carrying guys who have no business being in a wrestling ring. Minus a suplex or two, a Steiner/Styles match would look a lot like that match AJ had with Dusty Rhodes a couple years back.

That's my problem. Steiner hasn't had a good match since the Steiner Bros days. He was always pretty big and top-heavy, but he at least had his ring timing, and was flexible enough to hit moves like the Frankensteiner. Since he started jacking up in WCW and went singles, it's all been downhill. I agree that AJ has rarely worked with bad opponents, so I'm really not looking forward to this :angry:

I agree that AJ has rarely worked with bad opponents, so I'm really not looking forward to this :angry:

Well that's good then, seeing as how it was proven to be nothing more than a false report.