TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

TSM 2006 NBA Playoffs thread

NBA playoffs are this saturday, baby. Can't wait. My favorite time of the year. The East is pretty much a two team race while the West is one power team and about 7 other teams at the same level. (at least IMO)

East matchups (as of 4/17)

1) Detroit

8) Chicago

4) Cleveland

5) Washington

2) Miami

7) Milwaukee

3) New Jersey

6) Indiana

While the Bulls have shown a ton of heart in April to clinch (including yesterday's national TV beatdown of the Heat in Miami), I don't see them taking Motown out in a series. Washington has playoff experience and I think they'll take out LBJ and the Cavs in 6. The NJ/Indy series may be a trap series and that will come down to Indy establishing J O'Neal vs NJ dictating tempo. Milwaukee is just in Miami's way of the ECF showdown with Detroit.

West matchups (as of 4/17)

1) San Antonio

8) Sacramento

4) Dallas

5) Memphis

2) Phoenix

7) LA Lakers

3) Denver

6) LA Clippers (who will host)

There is a controversy now because the Grizzlies and Clippers are 5 and 6, but whoever matches up with Denver gets to host the first round series because Denver will not post a better overall record than the Grizz or Clips. There is speculation that both teams are going to try to tank their game, which coincidentally is against each other. Some people are saying that the Clips have already been tanking because the last Clips loss saw 11th and 12th guys on the bench getting significant minutes. Conspiracy shit IMO. Lots of juicy stuff here. The Spurs are headed for the most dangerous 8th seed in memory. If the Lakers were there, they'd be the same thing. No breaks for any series in the west. While I still believe the Spurs will win, the Kings are a very good halfcourt team and have a lot of bodies to throw at Duncan. I wonder how long into the series before we see Artest on Duncan? Still, the Kings would have to win in 6 because game 7 in SA is not what the Kings want. The Lakers will have to run that triangle down to a tee and control tempo aka slow the game down in order to reign in the Suns. If it becomes a halfcourt game, the Lakers have two post threats in Kwame and Odom and Kobe is a threat anywhere on the floor. If they get into a shootout for the series, it won't last past 5 games and the Suns will win it. Denver and the Clips will be a 6-7 game war, although with Maggette out indef, I give a slight edge to the Nuggets to finally get out of the first round in the Melo era. Grizz vs Mavs should be fun as well. I give the slight edge to the Mavs because I don't like that hardly anyone on the Grizz can matchup with Jason Terry (Chucky who?) and the Mavs bench outclasses the Grizz. Dirk vs Pau is going to be fun though.

Lets keep this thread until the Finals.

But who on Dallas is gonna stop Mike Miller!!!! ;P

Seriously though, Dallas vs. Memphis is gonna be exciting, I don't think Dallas is a mortal lock to win that matchup, and it will go 7 games.

NBA playoffs are this saturday, baby. Can't wait. My favorite time of the year. The East is pretty much a two team race while the West is one power team and about 7 other teams at the same level. (at least IMO)

I really disagree strongly with that statement. Dallas has been right there for years, and with Duncan getting older and hobbled, this could really be their chance to break through. They've actually held the nucleus together for a couple seasons without making any big additions, and I think they've got at least a 30-40% chance to win the conference.

The way I see it, there's four legit contenders to win the NBA title right now (Detroit, Miami, SA, and Dallas), and they all have a pretty equal chance to take it. Phoenix would be a contender if Amare was healthy, but there's no way they take that next big step without him.

Maggette is going to play in the playoffs, he actually wants to play the last game of the season to warm up but the coaches seem to be against that idea.

Hopefully for the Clippers, Boykins will be out for the Nuggets because he has been the biggest pain in the ass for the Clippers when playing Denver.

While a lot of people say Dallas has improved defensively, I don't really see it. I've seen them collapse and while they do well in the regular season, I don't think they're a good adjustment team, which is crucial when facing the same team 4-7 times in a series.

I will say if SA falls early, Dallas does become the favorite in the West because they are deep and killers on offense with the exception of a serious post threat. Dirk is too much in love with the perimeter and no one else has a good back to the basket game on the Mavs.

I really still feel that memphis is a better playoff style team than Dallas. Or anyone else in the west EXCEPT San Antonio.

In fact, if Damon Stoudamire hadn't gotten hurt I could see Memphis winning the whole thinmg, but I think they'll suffer without the depth having him gives them (bobby Jackson off the bench)

but yeah, going into the playoffs I like Memphis in the west and Cleveland in the east as the teams I'm going to root for. (Without a local team, I gotta have something to get fired up about!) And I honestly think they both can win, too. Here's to hoping something a little different happens, the league needs TWO different franchises in the finals, badly.

Guest Coffey

If the playoffs remain how they are above, I think there's going to be a lot of upsets this year. People better watch out for New Jersey. I don't think they can beat Detroit but I wouldn't be shocked to see them beat Miami and make it to the ECF.

Over in the West, people are sleeping on Sacramento & the Lakers. The Spurs better stay 100% too because I can see Dallas knocking them off. Hell, Phoenix might out hustle a lot of people. Memphis is good. Washington is good. Should be good playoffs.

I honestly think they both can win, too

Nope. Not enough experience. If it were one game, sure. However they're not going to beat the elite teams of the league in a best-of-seven series.

If the playoffs remain how they are above, I think there's going to be a lot of upsets this year. People better watch out for New Jersey. I don't think they can beat Detroit but I wouldn't be shocked to see them beat Miami and make it to the ECF.

Over in the West, people are sleeping on Sacramento & the Lakers. The Spurs better stay 100% too because I can see Dallas knocking them off. Hell, Phoenix might out hustle a lot of people. Memphis is good. Washington is good. Should be good playoffs.

I honestly think they both can win, too

Nope. Not enough experience. If it were one game, sure. However they're not going to beat the elite teams of the league in a best-of-seven series.

Injuries happen though, and that's something I could see, ESPECIALLY in the west with how fragile San Antonio has been, say memphis gets by Dallas (Which I KNOW they are talented enough to do, I'd say Dallas should be VERY worried about them) and San Antonio can't get Duncan or Ginobili at 100%, and have to go 6 or 7 games with Sac-Town which would not help them out. I think the west is wide open, because the teams are solid from top to bottom (Except Denver who I think sucks awfully)

Brief predictions:

1) Detroit

8) Chicago

Pistons in a sweep.

4) Cleveland

5) Washington

I actually like Washington in this series. I've done a total 180 on Gilbert Arenas since he went to the Wiz...there's simply no denying that this guy's one of the elite players in the league. I think he and LeBron offset each other, and then, I don't think the Cavs have an answer for Antawn Jamison, either. And if they get Jared Jeffries involved, you got a guy 6-10 who can play the 2, 3, or 4, and how do they match up against that? And how healthy is Larry Hughes going to be? Wizards in 6.

2) Miami

7) Milwaukee

Heat in 6, but not before the Bucks make them sweat a little bit. This isn't a jobber match in the least.

3) New Jersey

6) Indiana

Nets in 6. Jermaine has returned to top form, just in time for Peja to start tapering off. Stephen Jackson should not be getting more shots than Peja. And for fuck's sake, Tinsley is NOT READY to come back, stick with AJ. I hope Foster's back is feeling better by the end of the week, or this one may not even go the 6 that I have it pegged for.

1) San Antonio

8) Sacramento

Spurs in 7. I think this series is the best shot at a real big upset, with Duncan and Ginobili both hobbled. I wouldn't be surprised to see Adelman try Artest on Parker a bit, although the Artest-Bowen matchup sounds most intriguing.

4) Dallas

5) Memphis

Mavs in 5. I just don't think Memphis has the experience to really threaten a team like Dallas.

2) Phoenix

7) LA Lakers

Ah, the much discussed series. The Suns will win...it won't be a sweep, but I don't think LA will ever pose a serious threat, either. Probably 5 or 6 games.

3) Denver

6) LA Clippers

Clippers in 6. Brand will feast on the walking wounded frontcourt of the Nuggets, and I just can't think of anything the Nuggets can do to offset that.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

Memphis is 0-8 in playoff games, by the way. The Bulls are gonna get killed out there. I'm scared to watch.

I think the Lakers have a great chance to upset the Suns.

Espically if Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom play they way they have been playing.

Kings and SA will be a great series, I can see the Kings upsetting SA, espically with they way they been playing.

I can see alot of 1st round upsets, if the standings stay they way they are.

East:

1) Detroit

8) Chicago

- Pistons win in a sweep, of course. They'll only drop one game before the East finals, me thinks.

4) Cleveland

5) Washington

- Cleveland in 6. Gilbert Arenas will win Washington 2 games on his own, while LeBron will shine in the Playoffs like his buddy D-Wade has done in the past two years. Larry Hughes is the key, if he can perform at a high level, the Cavs will be fine in this series.

2) Miami

7) Milwaukee

- Miami in 5. The Bucks to pull off an upset in one game, but the Heat have way too much firepower for this young team. Future looks bright, though.

3) New Jersey

6) Indiana

- With the Nets on their current tear, they should win this series. But I can't bet against the Pacers. Alf's right, Peja needs the ball a lot more than SJ. JO needs to take charge, and be DOMINANT in the paint. Their perimeter defense needs to be amazing. I look at the Nets, and on paper, they have a stronger team. But the Pacers can be brilliant when they want to be.

West:

1) San Antonio

8) Sacramento

- Danger for the Spurs, they've got a reeeeeally tough road to the West Finals. With Duncan and Manu questionable, I don't think they'll get that far, and if they do, they won't make the finals. Just a question of who knocks them off. The Kings have a good chance, but I think the Spurs will win in 6.

4) Dallas

5) Memphis

- Dallas are a hell of a team, and I agree that if Damon wasn't out for the year, Memphis would give them a shake. Mavs in 5.

2) Phoenix

7) LA Lakers

- Intriguing matchup. The leadership of Nash vs. the leadership of Kobe. Odom and Matrix to provide strong supporting players. Phoenix has the better cast, and while Kobe will win two games on his own, it'll be the Suns in 6.

3) Denver

6) LA Clippers (who will host)

- The Clippers are the team I want to see do well. I'm always a fan of the underdog, and this is no exception. Two of the best starting lineups face off, with the Clips unfortunately without Maggette. Radmanovic has to step up. Mobley needs to step up. Clippers in 7.

Pacers are beating the everloving shit out of the Raptors. If the Magic hold on against the Bulls, we'd be guaranteed at least the 7 seed. We also need the Bucks to lose to the Pistons, or we lose the tiebreaker on them.

EDIT: We just broke 100 with 2 minutes left in the third.

The Pistons sure picked a good fucking night to tank a game. Now we lose the tiebreakers against Washington *and* the Bucks.

You know, Jermaine O'Neal said a few months ago that he thinks the Pistons would be the best matchup for the Pacers in the first round. I'm hopeing we get that matchup.

... so the Bulls don't get swept by Detroit.

Guest Smues
these last couple of days are the longest basketball week there is. END THE PAIN PLLEEAAASSSEEE! start the playoffs.

That's funny, I tend to think that the first round is the longest week (two weeks).

I tend to agree with that. There's no reason for 7-game series in the first round, it's ridiculous. Sometimes there's 3 or 4 days in between games in a single series.

Might as well throw out my predictions...

East:

Detroit d. Chicago (4): I know Detroit never sweeps anyone, but seriously. What a fucking mismatch. Chicago has 0 in 10 chance, no chance.

Cleveland d. Washington (7): Two pretty evenly matched teams with one dominant star on each side. I think home court plays a big factor as the Cavs move on to Who Jobs to the Pistons Part 2.

New Jersey d. Indiana (6): Indy is one of those teams that always sticks around and you never notice. They'll make some noise in this series, but I like the three-headed monster in Jersey to lead them to the next round.

Miami d. Milwaukee (5): Unlike Chicago, the Bucks have enough to steal a game from the Heat. Good luck getting any more than that, though.

West

San Antonio d. Sacramento (6): Kings give a little scare, but I like the experience and determination of the Spurs to lead them through the first round. How long until the harsh reality of injuries set in, though?

Dallas d. Memphis (5): Memphis gets over the hump and gets a win, but the Mavs are too complete a team to roll over and die this early. You know they'll be licking their chops if Sacto gives San Antonio any kind of fight, with how banged up the Spurs are and all.

LA Clippers d. Denver (6): Denver's too inconsistant. The Clips are still a fine team without Maggette. Fine enough to get rid of the Nuggets at least. The veteran leadership of Cassell is a big factor here.

Phoenix d. LA Lakers (5): Phoenix will run and score. Kobe will do his damndest to drag this worthless excuse of an NBA team with him, but one man can only do so much. One game for Kobe to be a hero, four more for the Suns to out-hustle, out-shoot, and out-play an inferior team.

Bucks @ Wizards tommorrow is going to be crucial in determining the final positions in the bottom half of the East. The Pacers can't get the 5th seed, but other than that, literally ANY matchup is possible in the first round.

Memphis @ LA Clippers tommorrow, as well. Should be fun to see which team does the better job of tanking. If the Clippers lose, they're guaranteed the matchup with Denver.

Found this fun article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ties/index.html

By Lang Whitaker

As we did last season, it's time for our second annual look at the wild, wacky and bizarre in the NBA -- the stories you might have missed but that should have spawned dozens of blog posts. Let's get right to it.

Carmelo Anthony founded a personal charity foundation with the acronym "HOOD."

We learned that Michael Jordan's Gatorade outtakes might be even better than the commercials.

After signing a $90 million contract, Michael Redd bought his father a church.

Jarron "The Lesser" Collins missed the start of training camp in Utah while suffering from "severe sunburn."

Bobcats center Melvin Ely was robbed for his jewelry late one night after leaving a strip club. Days later, while Ely was visiting a pawn shop to look for said jewelry, the assailant came walking in, saw Ely, then turned and ran.

The night before training camp began, Julius Hodge slept on the floor of the Nuggets' practice gym.

Cuttino Mobley rode a bike back and forth between the Clippers' practice facility and hotel during training camp.

During his NBA debut, Johan Petro accidentally removed his jersey along with his warmups while checking in.

According to the Toronto Star, former Raptors center Keon Clark fired up "a generous helping of his favorite recreational vehicle playing in a charity golf tournament in the same foursome as Glen Grunwald, then the Raptors' general manager."

Before the Kings' home opener against Detroit, a video was shown of Detroit that featured abandoned buildings and burned-out cars. The Pistons won 102-88.

Damon "Basketball" Jones refused to speak to the Cleveland press for several weeks, announcing he was on a "revolt" against the media.

Hornets players Rasual Butler and J.R. Smith appeared as potential suitors in a music video for hardcore female rapper Trina.

Darius Miles was whistled for a defensive three-seconds violation after stopping to tie his shorts while standing underneath the basket.

Larry Bird announced his association with a line of wines called "Legends."

Ron Artest had the name of his record label, "Tru Warier," shaved into his hair. He reported that he received a "homey discount" on the haircut.

Lakers rookie Andrew Bynum spoke to the media but forgot to remove his mouthguard.

Vince Carter paid to have a life-sized bronze statue of himself erected at his former high school.

When asked what it was going to take to get the Heat to play like he envisioned they would, Pat Riley said, "It's 525,600 minutes."

Damon "Basketball" Jones became the first U.S. player to endorse Li Ning shoes, one of the biggest brands in China.

Then-Sonics forward Reggie Evans missed the start of the second half of a game because he was detained after being unable to provide a urine sample for a halftime drug test.

Following an overtime win against the Raptors, Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas admitted he was tired because he was up late the night before playing video games.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said that starting power forward Kwame Brown is "a pussy."

After playing poorly in a win over Washington, Pacers center David Harrison broke a picture of himself hanging in a hallway of Conseco Field House.

Dallas owner Mark Cuban invested in a toilet seat that utilizes "retractable wands."

After getting involved in an altercation in a Utah bar, Jazz point guard Deron Williams told police his name was "Torrey Ellis."

Shaquille O'Neal admitted that two of his aliases when checking into hotels on the road are "Donovan Perot" and "Vladimire Mandingo."

In an NBA.com celebrity fantasy basketball league, TNT analyst Kenny Smith finished 1-21 for the season, eight games behind Pamela Anderson in the loss column.

Tracy McGrady named his second son Laymen Lamar McGrady.

The New York Daily News reported that Jerome James was suspended indefinitely because he was in no shape to practice with the Knicks on the morning of Jan. 1 after spending the night celebrating.

Sonics coach Bob Hill banned players from talking to each other during practice.

After a close loss to the Denver Nuggets, Bulls GM John Paxson chased the referees into their locker room.

Former Cavs lottery pick Dajuan Wagner had his colon removed.

Pistons guard Carlos Delfino announced that he'll wear American pants, but he prefers European shirts.

Jason Williams cut his finger putting a weight on a weight rack.

Cavs guard Ira Newble spent eight days in the hospital with an ingrown hair in his nose.

To help lighten the mood in the Miami Heat locker room, Pat Riley performed a 15-minute dance routine to the Doobie Brothers' Listen to the Music.

Darko Milicic showed up for his first practice with the Orlando Magic with a sunburn, explaining that he had fallen asleep on the beach.

The Philadelphia 76ers announced a program to allow fans to swap guns for tickets.

Hawks forward Al Harrington mentioned that he once sang a duet of Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better with Rosie O'Donnell on her eponymous television show.

Reserve Spurs forward Fabricio Oberto, who just moved to America from Argentina, won the team's NCAA pool after picking teams randomly with no knowledge of any of the teams.

Rasheed Wallace almost missed the start of a recent game after forgetting to set his clock forward one hour for Daylight Savings Time.

I'd just recently been wondering what happened to Wagner...he was a really good scorer his rookie year, then seemed to fall off the face of the earth once LeBron came along. I didn't realize Keon Clark was out of the league, either.

1) Detroit (4-1)

8) Chicago

4) Cleveland (4-3)

5) Washington

2) Miami (4-1)

7) Milwaukee

3) New Jersey (4-3)

6) Indiana

West matchups (as of 4/17)

1) San Antonio (4-2)

8) Sacramento

4) Dallas (4-1)

5) Memphis

2) Phoenix (4-1)

7) LA Lakers

3) Denver

6) LA Clippers (4-3)

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said that starting power forward Kwame Brown is "a pussy."

Awesome.

Yeah, I heard about that a while back. I didn't think he was that into himself, but obviously I was wrong.

All right. Everyone else has playoff predictions up, so here are mine:

Pistons in 5

Michael Redd will make sure the Bucks pick up one game at home (yes, I think Milwaukee's slippng to the 8 seed), but there's no way they can give the Pistons a real challenge..

Cavs in 7

The Cavs and Wizards are really even, but I'll give Cleveland a slight edge due to home advantage, and the fact that I think LeBron will make the big shot if he needs it to win the series.

Heat in 5

The Bulls have been playing really well of late, but I think they've reached their goal just by making the playoffs. They just don't have that extra gear like D-Wade and the Heat.

Nets in 4

New Jersey's been gelling and playing really good team basketball lately, while Indiana's been doing just the opposite. Outside of O'Neal, no one's even really trying right now.

Spurs in 6

Artest and the Kings are for real, and they'd have a chance in a 7 game series against a lot of teams, but I just can't see them beating San Antonio.

Mavs in 5

Dallas is absolutely legitimate, and Memphis just.....isn't. I mean, can you really see Pau Gasol taking over a playoff series? The Mavs are ready to make a deep run and they won't let the Grizzlies stand in their way.

Lakers in 7

There's almost always at least one real upset in the first round, and this looks like the right spot for it. Phoenix's lax D should give Kobe a perfect chance to take over games, and without Amare to deal with down low, there's no really bad matchups for LA.

Clippers in 6

Carmelo's a great clutch player, and I don't want to dismiss Denver here, but the Clippers finally have a complete team, and I think karma's finally going to bless their fanbase with a win.

There's almost always at least one real upset in the first round, and this looks like the right spot for it. Phoenix's lax D should give Kobe a perfect chance to take over games, and without Amare to deal with down low, there's no really bad matchups for LA.

no possible way that kobe can control the tempo of a suns game. kobe is absolutely ripe for getting sucked into the suns' kind of game, and you can't do it with only one scoring threat. other teams don't take over suns' games by scoring over their defense. they don't care, they just score more than you. if they shut down the suns' 3-point threats they MIGHT have a chance, but how would they do that?