TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

TSM 2006 NBA Playoffs thread

I wanna know since when is Lamar Odom on the same level as Shawn Marion? Back when Marion was getting a little MVP talk, the Lakers were going 0-whatever when Odom took more than 13 shots. That's a bad matchup for the Lakers, offensively and defensively since the Marion is the only Sun who plays D. Nash vs. Parker is horrible mismatch on the offensive end too.

Bucks @ Wizards is getting ready to start, for those of you rich fuckers who have League Pass. I'll have a Yahoo page up for it. Bucks clinch the 5 seed with a win.

I wanna know since when is Lamar Odom on the same level as Shawn Marion? Back when Marion was getting a little MVP talk, the Lakers were going 0-whatever when Odom took more than 13 shots. That's a bad matchup for the Lakers, offensively and defensively since the Marion is the only Sun who plays D. Nash vs. Parker is horrible mismatch on the offensive end too.

Okay...I am about to say it. The Spurs aren't a good defensive team.

I know, I will get flack for this, but they have one guy that can play man defense, and one guy that is a good help shot blocker in Duncan, and then you are done. For all the talk about Parker getting by Nash at will last year, Nash got by Parker at will on the other end. For all the talk of how great the Spurs D was compared to the suns, all of their games went over 100 points and were close. The Pistons were scoring higher than normal under Larry Brown.

The Spurs are a incredible offensive team that scores slowly which makes it appear that they are shutting people down. All they do is force fewer possesions for the other team. They have a Point guard that can get by anyone in the league, a big man that can score on basically everyone in the league one on one, a two guard that can get by anyone, and score incredibly well in the paint, a small forward that is deadly from the corner....they are a complete team, but only Bowen can play D and that is pretty much only at denying the ball from players. If you actually get the ball on him, he is really slow laterally and has no elevation so the Kobes and Carters of the league torch him.

They are Pistons are a great defensive team. The Spurs have created the illusion of a great defensive team.

Yeah, but it allowed me to go on a rant about how overrated San Antonios defense is so I will just pretend that he meant Tony although obviously he didn't.

WAS: 41-40 (@ DET)

IND: 40-41 (vs ORL)

CHI: 40-41 (@ TOR)

MIL: 40-42

Tiebreakers:

Milwaukee has tiebreak over Indiana and Chicago.

Indiana has tiebreak over Chicago.

Chicago has tiebreak over Washington.

Washington has tiebreak over Indiana.

Scenarios:

If all three teams win, seeding would go WAS, IND, CHI, MIL.

If only Washington and Chicago win, seeding would go WAS, CHI, MIL, IND.

If only Indiana and Chicago win, seeding would go CHI, IND, WAS, MIL.

If only Chicago wins, seeding would go CHI, WAS, MIL, IND.

If Indiana wins and Chicago loses, seeding would go WAS, IND, MIL, CHI, regardless of Washington's result.

If Indiana and Chicago both lose, seeding would go WAS, MIL, IND, CHI, regardless of Washington's result.

I have a bad feeling that we're going to end up with the Pistons in the first round.

EDIT: Also, Seattle @ Sacramento should be starting any time, if it hasn't already. If the Kings win, a Laker loss tommorrow would give them the 7 seed.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

We can get the 5 seed?!? Outta sight. Alf, who would the Bulls match up against the best? Don't say "none of them."

Probably Cleveland. I'm not really sold on them, I think any of those three teams would have a good shot at knocking them off.

If things stay as they are, which I doubt they will.

1) Detroit vs. 8) Chicago-Detroit in 5

4) Cleveland vs 5) Washington-Washington in 7

2) Miami vs. 7) Milwaukee-Miami in 6

3) New Jersey vs. 6) Indiana-Pacers in 6

1) San Antonio vs. 8) Sacramento-Spurs in 7

4) Dallas vs. 5) Memphis-Memphis gets fucked in playoff matchups every year. Dallas in 5

2) Phoenix vs. 7) LA Lakers-Lakers in 7

3) Denver vs. 6) LA Clippers (who will host)-Clippers in 6

you make some good points Ripper but i think you underestimate their help and team defense. You're correct that Bowen is really their only great one on one defender, but i think their team as a whole plays the basic fundamental team defense, move and rotate well, do a pretty good job defending pick and rolls, this is all based off my admitadly less then comprehensive study of their team.

Guest Princess Leena

Why don't fans throw bottles at him. Sigh.

And the Clips tanked their way to 6th! Holla! Western Conference finals, baybee!

Here are all the possible scenarios for the East

If Washington, Indiana and Chicago all win:

• 5. Washington (42-40)

• 6. Indiana (41-41, 6-10 in div.)

• 7. Chicago (41-41, 4-12 in div.

• 8. Milwaukee (40-42)

If Washington and Indiana win; Chicago loses:

• 5. Washington (42-40)

• 6. Indiana (41-41)

• 7. Milwaukee (40-42, 6-10 in div.)

• 8. Chicago (40-42, 4-12 in div.)

If Washington and Chicago win, Indiana loses:

• 5. Washington (42-40)

• 6. Chicago (41-41)

• 7. Milwaukee (40-42, 29-23 in conf.)

• 8. Indiana (40-42, 23-29 in conf.)

If Washington wins, Indiana and Chicago lose:

• 5. Washington (42-40)

• 6. Milwaukee (40-42, 4-4 head-to-head, 6-10 in div., 29-23 in conf.)

• 7. Indiana (40-42, 4-4 head-to-head, 6-10 in div., 23-29 in conf.)

• 8. Chicago (40-42, 4-4 head-to-head, 4-12 in div.)

If Washington, Indiana and Chicago all lose:

• 5. Washington (41-41)

• 6. Milwaukee (40-42, 4-4 head-to-head, 6-10 in div., 29-23 in conf.)

• 7. Indiana (40-42, 4-4 head-to-head, 6-10 in div., 23-29 in conf.)

• 8. Chicago (40-42, 4-4 head-to-head, 4-12 in div.)

If Indiana wins, Washington and Chicago lose:

• 5. Washington (41-41, 29-23 in conf.)

• 6. Indiana (41-41, 23-29 in conf.)

• 7. Milwaukee (40-42, 6-10 in div.)

• 8. Chicago (40-42, 4-12 in div.)

If Chicago wins, Washington and Indiana lose:

• 5. Chicago (41-41, 3-1 head-to-head)

• 6. Washington (41-41, 1-3 head-to-head)

• 7. Milwaukee (40-42, 29-23 in conf.)

• 8. Indiana (40-42, 23-29 in conf.)

If Indiana and Chicago win, Washington loses:

• 5. Chicago (41-41, 5-3 head-to-head)

• 6. Washington (41-41, 29-23 in conf.)

• 7. Indiana (41-41, 23-29 in conf.)

• 8. Milwaukee (40-42)

In the West lakers win they're 7th, they lose they are 8th

you make some good points Ripper but i think you underestimate their help and team defense. You're correct that Bowen is really their only great one on one defender, but i think their team as a whole plays the basic fundamental team defense, move and rotate well, do a pretty good job defending pick and rolls, this is all based off my admitadly less then comprehensive study of their team.

They gave up 37 points a game to Amare and 25 points a game to Nash against the pick and roll last year in the playoffs.

They do switch well, but they basically never double anyone, which is why I think people think hey are a defensive team.

Pacers and Wizards win, Bulls are going to win, so here are your East matchups:

1. Detroit

8. Milwaukee

4. Cleveland

5. Washington

3. New Jersey

6. Indiana

2. Miami

7. Chicago

There's no way that the Hornets are coming back from being down 65-38, so....

1. San Antonio

8. Sacramento

4. Dallas

5. Memphis

3. Denver

6. L.A. Clippers

2. Phoenix

7. L.A. Lakers

That's in case you've been living in a hole.

Kwame Brown is starting to tap into his potential.

Revised predictions:

Pistons in 5

Wizards in 6

Nets in 7

Heat in 5

Spurs in 7

Mavs in 5

Clippers in 6

Suns in 6

Guest Felonies!

Fuckin' Pistons. I knew they'd tank their last game. Oh well, maybe the Bulls can make a series out of this.

I think if the Wizards can get past the Cavs, they can beat the Pistons in 7 and then lose to Miami in 5. But, of course, I dont think they can beat the Cavs so it wont matter and thus the Pistons will beat the Cavs and Heat...

As far as who comes out of the west, its whoever wins the Spurs/Mavs series in the 2nd round obviously. Id like to see Dallas but it ain't happening.

Pistons/Spurs II!

Ray Allen sets a new record for 3-pointers in a season...he made 6 in the first half to put him at 268 for the year, breaking the previous record by one.

New East predictions, my West ones are the same.

Pistons in 6

Wizards in 7

Pacers in 7

Heat in 6

Updated predictions:

Detroit d. Milwaukee (5): There won't be any drama here, but the Bucks still have enough to squeak one out.

Miami d. Chicago (4): I still don't think the Bulls will do anything. The Heat will dominate in this series before struggling with Jersey.

Guest Felonies!

Have there been any good underdog runs in the NBA playoffs since the '99 Knicks? Seems like these days if a 5 seed wins it's a big upset.

Have there been any good underdog runs in the NBA playoffs since the '99 Knicks? Seems like these days if a 5 seed wins it's a big upset.

Nothing really major since then, no. None of the 1 or 2 seeds have lost in the first round since that year, as a matter of fact. I suppose you could call the Celtics over the Pacers in '03 an upset, but I wouldn't since we'd been pretty terrible since the All-Star break. Once we lost Game 1, I knew we weren't winning that series.

I still think the Clippers will be the great underdog story this year. Sure, beating Denver won't mean much, but I think they could take Phoenix down too.