Dangerous A

TSM 2006 NBA Playoffs thread

Here's the NBA draft order, with the lottery teams/chances in bold:

1. Portland (250)

2. Chicago (from New York) (199)

3. Charlotte (138)

4. Atlanta (137)

5. Toronto (88)

6. Minnesota (53) (goes to LAC if pick is not in top 10)

7. Boston (53)

8. Houston (23)

9. Golden State (22)

10. Seattle (11)

11. Orlando (8)

12. NO/OK (7)

13. Philadelphia (6)

14. Utah (5)

15. NO/OK (from Milwaukee)

16. Chicago

17. Indiana

18. Washington

19. Sacramento

20. New York (from Denver via Toronto and New Jersey)

21. Phoenix (from LA Lakers via Atlanta and Boston)

22. New Jersey (from LA Clippers via Denver and Orlando)

23. New Jersey

24. Memphis

25. Cleveland

26. LA Lakers (from Miami)

27. Phoenix

28. Dallas

29. New York (from San Antonio)

30. Portland (from Detroit via Utah)

31. Portland

32. Houston (from New York)

33/34. Atlanta

33/34. LA Clippers (from Charlotte)

35. Toronto

36/37. Boston (could go to Minnesota)

36/37. Minnesota

38/39. Golden State (could go to Minnesota via Boston and Phoenix)

38/39. Milwaukee (from Houston)

40. Seattle

41. Orlando

42/43. Cleveland (from Philadelphia)

42/43. NO/OK

44. Orlando (from Milwaukee via Cleveland)

45. Indiana

46. Utah (from Chicago via Houston)

47. Utah

48. Washington

49. Denver

50. Orlando (from Sacramento via Utah) OR Charlotte (from Sacramento)

51. LA Lakers

52. LA Clippers

53. Seattle (from Memphis)

54. New Jersey

55. Cleveland

56. Toronto (from Miami via NO/OK and Boston)

57. Minnesota (from Phoenix)

58. Dallas

59. San Antonio

60. Detroit

Man, the Cavs play so much better when Varaejo is in the game. Clearly Drew Gooden will not be back next year ;)

Well, I haven't seen much of the Kings down the stretch. Statistically they looked good, but I'm wondering why anyone picked 'em over the Spurs now. A 73 point half? God.

I'm sure she knows what's going on.

Someone remind me why having four best-of-seven rounds is a smart idea again? NBA playoffs are so bloated. I prefer the succinct nature of the baseball postseason.

Four rounds made a little more sense when the first was a best-of-five series, but with the change, there's rarely an upset. It just drags the obvious out longer.

So why exactly was everyone giving Sacramento a chance?

This is San An-f'ing-tonio.

They're going to roll through these playoffs.

Haslem just got ejected for throwing his mouthpiece at the ref.

That's not good if they want to win, especially with zo out.

I hate Joey Crawford. Haslem deserved to get the gate, but that guy honestly acts like the fans pay to see him 'T' someone up every fucking night.

I'm not surprised at all that SA whipped Sacramento.

Sure Sacramento's record since Artest came has been good, but it's not been great. 26-14 is not a GREAT record. It's just good in comparison to their suckiness before. Something like 34-6 woulda fit them into "dangerous" category.

Every year people vastly overrate a bunch of low seeds maybe to try and get some drama going in lackluster 1st round... well, there's a reason they are lower seeds. I feel like LAL and maybe Chicago (though they are playing well at the moment) are two otehr teams who'se upset chances are very overrated.

anyone catching the "multiple angles" thing going on with ESPN? ESPN2 has the game from different above the basket angles, with the shootaround guys just sort fo commenting (rather than really announced). Its kinda cool.

Oh it seems like every year analysts try to hype some 7/8 seed jobber in a series with the 1 or 2 seeds. I remember last year some thought Memphis could beat Phoenix the first round. It turned out to be a 4 game squash of a series.

Having four rounds of 7 games is an incredible bore, but they do it to make a bit of extra money. I used to prefer the days when Jordan and the Bulls would make quick work of the Washington Bullets or whoever in 3 games and then move on.

How many times will we see this Vince Carter Verizon commercial? God, I think it's been on 8 times per game.

"And that's why we don't feed the dog people food."

Guest Smues

I prefer the best of 5 first round since there is at least a chance of some upsets. I used to also like it because it went quick, but in it's last year I remember the best of 5 first round taking like 3 weeks and just refusing to end with huggggggeeeee breaks in between all the games so going back to best of 5 wouldn't speed things up much.

Clippers win !!!!!

WOW!!! What a heartwrentching game

I was at the game and boy was it difficult watching Denver make that late push. Combine that with overstuffing myself with nachos I almost threw up.

Anyway good win for the team and since they won it, it was better for them to blow a lead than win in a blow out to avoid overconfidence.

Since this was my first time at a NBA game I must say that it was 10 times better than I ever imagined. My seat was in the nosebleed section but it was the first row and right at midcourt. I could see the whole court from there which was great.

It was great to see Mobley who was making threes like lay-ups during warm ups actually do that in the game.

As clutch as Carmelo usually is, that last play brings up the next obvious question... who else on the Nuggets is gonna hit the shot when Carmelo is locked down? The Clips had him TRIPLE TEAMED (or at least a double team with a 3rd guy coming, i dont remember if it was an actual triple team). It wasn't porous though, they were right on him. That's the kind of play that Lebron, for instance, would hit the open man. Not even Jordan made every game winner, Paxson and Kerr anyone?

I prefer the best of 5 first round since there is at least a chance of some upsets. I used to also like it because it went quick, but in it's last year I remember the best of 5 first round taking like 3 weeks and just refusing to end with huggggggeeeee breaks in between all the games so going back to best of 5 wouldn't speed things up much.

The big reason for this is because the NBA and ABC now set a date for the start of the Finals, according to Stern that was done so that the international media can have the opportunity to schedule their trips. Therefore the NBA has to schedule their games to reach that date, which led to the huge delays during the best of five first round the first season. Now they have made the first round best of seven to lessen the gaps.

Guest Vitamin X

The Bulls surprised me with how well they played yesterday, actually. Maybe it's not so much of a stretch to say they can steal a game or two from Miami. The lack of chemistry on the Heat reminds me a lot of the `03-`04 Lakers, the ones that reached the Finals and got whooped by Detroit in 5. It seems like they SHOULD be and play a lot better than they actually do, but they kept letting Chicago hang around way too much.

Denver-L.A.2 is going to be a great series as well. I was hoping for `Melo to make that last shot, but as someone said up there, they need someone else who can step up and do that.

Oh it seems like every year analysts try to hype some 7/8 seed jobber in a series with the 1 or 2 seeds. I remember last year some thought Memphis could beat Phoenix the first round. It turned out to be a 4 game squash of a series.

Yeah I basically alluded to the same thing earlier in this thread. I remember it moreso with the Nets and Miami.. or pretty much anyone the Heat would face except Detroit (which turned out to be an okay series, actually).

Guest NYankees

I remember in 1999, the Knicks were playing the Hawks in the second round of the playoffs. There had to be at least a 4, 5 day break in between games like 1 and 2. I remember Mike and the Mad Dog (local sports talk show) giving David Stern complete shit for letting NBC scheduling the playoffs around their must see tv. The Playoffs used to be designed to take fucking forever so that the station could show their prime time shows and have the Finals start after the season ended.

Guest NYankees

The big reason for this is because the NBA and ABC now set a date for the start of the Finals, according to Stern that was done so that the international media can have the opportunity to schedule their trips. Therefore the NBA has to schedule their games to reach that date, which led to the huge delays during the best of five first round the first season. Now they have made the first round best of seven to lessen the gaps.

Yeah but the real reason they increased the first round was to increase revenue and have 2 more playoff games for each series. And the reason why they had the long gaps in between games is because NBC wanted to show the last episodes of Darma and Greg and god whatever fucking stupid shows they had on. The playoffs shouldn't take 2 months. It's by far too long.

Guest Vitamin X

Good GOD. Sasha Vujacic just made a beyond halfcourt shot with 0.4 seconds left in the first quarter that was waved off.

Lakers are down by 10 now though, mostly because they're trying a shootout with Phoenix god knows why. They need to settle into their halfcourt game.

Phoenix is shooting 61% and LA shooting 57%.

When is MVP announced? How can you not give Steve Nash the MVP? The man is what makes it happen for the Suns.

I remember an NBA show where a guy was saying that Nash shouldn't be allowed the MVP b/c he's not in the same league as Jordan and the like. Yeah he's not but what's that got to do with anything!/