TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vivalaultra

Mostest Underatedest Songwriters

John Darnielle.

I agree. Although I think he's gone down in quality a bit over the last few albums (I think he was at his best when he was doing everything by himself), he's still a guy who, like Bruce Springsteen, can make you feel like you've just read a 200 page epic novel after listening to a 3 minute song. And the fact that he's put out about 400 CDs with about 50 songs each is a testament to his ability.

On that note, I'd like to mention Bob Pollard from Guided by Voices, just for sheer quantity. He writes more songs before breakfast than most people write all day.

Guest Queen of Pain

An Australian singer/songwriter by the name of Paul Kelly. Not underated here, but I doubt he's known elsewhere. Probably the greatest songwriter this country has ever produced.

Joe Budden

Ozzy

I....can't think.

But, yeah Budden and Ozzy write awesome lyrics, and have ghostwritin for a lot of dudes, and a lot of really good stuff

Saul Williams.

Is he related to Saul Bellow? Seize the Dayis a great read. Wait...this isn't the book recommending thread. Nevermind.

Guest BGarrett7
Kevn Kinney is criminally underrate/underappreciated.
Definitely. Kevn, Shawn Mullins, Edwin McCain, that whole crew are just incredible.

As for my own additions...

Mike Garrigan, Glen Phillips, Butch Walker, Ray LaMontagne, David Ryan Harris, Angie Aparo, Ben Folds, Mark Kano, Rhett Miller, Sean Watkins/Chris Thile, and on and on, all very much underrated and underappreciated as well.

Guest BGarrett7
hey, garret, who's the long-ish hair guy in your av?
It's Glen Phillips.

Guest Felonies!
Mike Garrigan, Glen Phillips, Butch Walker, Ray LaMontagne, David Ryan Harris, Angie Aparo, Ben Folds, Mark Kano, Rhett Miller, Sean Watkins/Chris Thile, and on and on, all very much underrated and underappreciated as well.

Who the hell is underrating Ben Folds these days?

I am. I constantly find myself saying, "Ben Folds is nothing more than a mediocre songwriter", and then I listen one of his CDs, and I go "Gee, that's pretty good.", and then I go, "Nope! Medicore!"

Guest Felonies!

I am. I constantly find myself saying, "Ben Folds is nothing more than a mediocre songwriter", and then I listen one of his CDs, and I go "Gee, that's pretty good.", and then I go, "Nope! Medicore!"

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic :(

I think a lot of his stuff is brilliant but he's prone to going into lulls of generic quirkiness.

2nded on Lowery, btw.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic :(

I think a lot of his stuff is brilliant but he's prone to going into lulls of generic quirkiness.

2nded on Lowery, btw.

I was being halfway sarcastic. I pretty much agree with your assessment. I don't know if I would call anything that he's done "brilliant", but I do think that he's an extremely talented songwriter who ocassionally tries too hard to be quirky and clever and loses focus of his songs as a result. Out of all the Musical Bens (Gibbard, Kweller, et al.) I think he's top notch, but as far as basketball playing Bens, I'd have to rank him far below Ben Wallace.

Guest Felonies!

Reinhold Messner is his best work; I think that one is strong from start to finish. His solo stuff is good, and he's fun to watch live, but I prefer the Ben Folds Five stuff.

Yeah...I like Reinhold Messner. I know alot of people that don't, however. The thing with Ben Folds is that I don't think he's comfortable writing a "straight" song...uh...."straight" meaning non-quirky...not non-homosexual. It seems like every song of his has to just have....some...really odd quirky character in it. I don't mind that in and of itself, but it seems like he's just uncomfortable with his lyrics and his writing sometime and he feels like he has to throw in some bizzarre curveball to tone down his sensitivity, and Stephn Merritt will always be better at writing quirky, yet touching love songs.

liam gallagher.

ha ha ha. i kid, i kid.

I always thought Noel wrote the lyrics.

Liam's written a few Oasis songs, nothing special. The dire "Little James" is a Liam creation. I quote:

"You live for your toys, even though they make noise

Have you ever played with plastercine

Or even tried a trampline

Thank you for your smile

You make it all worthwhile to us"

As for underrated songwriters, Ishmael Lewis, Jonah Matranga, James McColl and Johns Flansburgh/Linnell