TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

Listening to O&A today, I never realized how messed up it was that Forest Gump burried Jenny in his front yard "like a German Shepard."

Universal wants to do an adaptation of the comic "The Goon."

Huh, I just read some of that for the first time a couple weeks ago. Decent stuff, a bit derivative of Sin City and the recent supernatural horror noir trend, but decent stuff. Glad that they're adapting more indy comic stuff these days.

I tried sitting through Metropolis a couple years ago when it was on TCM and I think I made it about 30 minutes before I had to give up. I heard nothing but good stuff about it and I watch it and its the most boring movie Ive ever seen in my life.

Have you seen many silent movies from that era, Marv? Totally different ballgame in terms of the expectations you gotta have going into the experience. If you're a n00b on the subject, try some Buster Keaton to dip your feet into the pool, pretty much everyone ends up liking him.

Universal wants to do an adaptation of the comic "The Goon."

I'm still waiting on a SANDMAN movie (not the one from Spiderman either).

Wasn't The Goon a really really warped book about a crazed pro wrestler and a scummy reporter lady whoring herself around for leads to do a story about him?

Wasn't The Goon a really really warped book about a crazed pro wrestler and a scummy reporter lady whoring herself around for leads to do a story about him?

No, it's about a 1930's mobster in kind of a stylized alternate reality where supernatural stuff is relatively common. Like I said, kind of Sin City with magic and zombies.

Please no. Sandman's, like, five times longer than Watchmen. No way in hell that any movie could even begin to do justice to that comic. You'd need not a movie, not a miniseries, but an entire television show running several seasons to get even half of it onscreen. Especially since it relies so heavily on old literary allusions and tropes which would go right over the head of most Hollywood execs, and hell, most movie audiences too.

That was the Edward Lee/John Pelan novella. Good book.

The comic involves a 30's mobster vs. supernatural evil.

I rented Drillbit Taylor and Hot Rod yesterday and went through a 12 pack of Nattie Ice.

Owen Wilson is just horrible, but the kids are hilarious in DT.

Hot Rod was the greatest movie I've ever seen while intoxicated. It went from a movie I thought was going to suck to become a movie I must own.

No, it's about a 1930's mobster in kind of a stylized alternate reality where supernatural stuff is relatively common. Like I said, kind of Sin City with magic and zombies.

Please no. Sandman's, like, five times longer than Watchmen. No way in hell that any movie could even begin to do justice to that comic. You'd need not a movie, not a miniseries, but an entire television show running several seasons to get even half of it onscreen. Especially since it relies so heavily on old literary allusions and tropes which would go right over the head of most Hollywood execs, and hell, most movie audiences too.

I'd be all for that.

Tonight's "Fear Itself" was the best episode of the series so far.

Magic AND ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -cums in pants.

I saw Wanted, but no need to bump the thread. It was pretty good, but... almost too good, if you follow. I wanted more action, less plot. And while the plot was fine, it wasn't great enough to horn in on action. I was also strongly reminded of the Korn video "Freak On a Leash".

But I'm glad I went. The horror renaissance we experienced is waning, but perhaps this is part of a new action renaissance, with stuff like this, Doomsday, Shoot Em Up and Crank and the like. I guess those kinds of movies never really went away... but technology is catching up to them.

"Carnival of Souls" is one of the best horror movies of the 60's.

On that note, I just heard about a band called Witchfinder General. That's also the name of a 60s horror movie. With Vincent Price. It's not bad.

While we're on the subject of 60's horror, Spider Baby was tons better than I thought it would be.

That was Jack Hill's first movie too. Dude went on to do Foxy Brown, Switchblade Sisters, and Coffey. He's a winner in my eyes.

I rented Drillbit Taylor and Hot Rod yesterday and went through a 12 pack of Nattie Ice.

Owen Wilson is just horrible, but the kids are hilarious in DT.

Hot Rod was the greatest movie I've ever seen while intoxicated. It went from a movie I thought was going to suck to become a movie I must own.

Ya know- I didn't hate Drillbit Taylor either. Maybe it was my resoundingly low expectations and maybe it was the fact that I saw it at the discount theater for $2.50 but I thought it was a pretty good throwback to those 80s teen movies where lowly nerds learned to stand up for themselves. It wasn't great but it was nowhere near one of the worst movies of the year as some had pegged it.

I thought Hot Rod was OK overall but there were four or five moments that were flat out hillarious and made the movie worth seeing. My favorite part for some reason was Chris Parnell's radio announcer character.

Worth noting that when I saw Drillbit Taylor, a good portion of the audience applauded the movie after it was done. I can comprehend applause perhaps at an unheralded low budget indy film but applause for Drillbit Taylor? Weird. This was the same audience that laughed uproariously at The Love Guru trailer and the same theater where about a third of the audience walked out of Michael Clayton. Small town movie theaters are weird I tell ya.

This was the same audience that laughed uproariously at The Love Guru trailer and the same theater where about a third of the audience walked out of Michael Clayton.

So... big crystal meth problem in your town, eh?

Hm, yeah, because Portland Maine isn't really that small of a town.

Speaking of bizarre trailers... are you guys aware of the Beverly Hills Chihuahua trailer yet? It was before Wall-E, but one of the girls I was with said it had been an internet meme for the past four months. I never heard of it. I was totally expecting there to be a joke at the end and they say "Drink Coke!" or something, but no, it's a real movie. Look that shit up if you want to stop believing in god.

That Chihuahua movie is about 11 years too late. It might not have bombed QUITE as badly as it probably will when that Taco Bell dog was inexplicably popular.

Worth noting that when I saw Drillbit Taylor, a good portion of the audience applauded the movie after it was done. I can comprehend applause perhaps at an unheralded low budget indy film but applause for Drillbit Taylor? Weird. This was the same audience that laughed uproariously at The Love Guru trailer and the same theater where about a third of the audience walked out of Michael Clayton. Small town movie theaters are weird I tell ya.

I remember a woman was applauding after some of the musical numbers in Dreamgirls.

The arts theatre near me is having a Hitchcock month-

Notorious July 2, 6, 7

Dial M for Murder July 3, 4

Lifeboat July 5, 9

The Wrong Man July 5, 10

To Catch a Thief July 8, 11, 14

Mr. and Mrs. Smith July 12, 15

Rebecca July 12, 16

Vertigo July 13, 17

Suspicion July 18, 21

Saboteur July 19, 22

Spellbound July 19, 23

Rear Window July 20, 24

Frenzy July 25, 31

The Man Who Knew Too Much July 26, 28

Psycho July 26, 29

North by Northwest July 27, 30

Saw Dial M for Murder tonight, loved it

To follow up on the talk about The Goon.....

** THE GOON: It was announced yesterday that THE GOON has been optioned by acclaimed director and producer David Fincher and Academy-Award nominated Blur Studio to develop as a CG animated feature film, according to TheGoon.com. The Goon is a comic book series created by Eric Powell in 1999. The story is about the adventures of the Goon, a muscle-bound brawler who claims to be the primary enforcer for the feared mobster Labrazio. The Goon (and his sidekick Franky) often get tied up in other machinations, often in relation to the evil zombie gangs under the command of the Nameless Zombie Priest. No word yet on how involved Fincher will be. **bloodydisgusting.com**

If Fincher has a big role in this, it could be tremendous.

It's not on the first page, and I don't feel like hunting it down if there is one, but I saw Hancock last night. It was pretty decent. Like a lot of Will Smith movies, the very end is kinda lame, but the build-up to it is pretty damn tight. If the movie had taken the time to go further into Hancock being an alcoholic, or why he feels the need to save people besides something just bluntly being said once or twice, or even develop an arch-nemesis instead of a fatal weakness, then it would have been really good. There's a few flaws keeping it from achieving a tight quality, but it's not bad like a lot of the reviews say it is. Smith does carry the movie on his back, though, so there we go.

I love Peter Berg, so I was really into Hancock. I know they cut and changed a lot of the movie to soften Hancock and get a PG-13 rating, I would love to see what the original cut was like.

I love Peter Berg, so I was really into Hancock. I know they cut and changed a lot of the movie to soften Hancock and get a PG-13 rating, I would love to see what the original cut was like.

Wait for the DVD. you know they'll release the 'Specail R-Rated Director's Cut' ala Live Freen and Die Hard (or Pearl Harbor)