TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

Lost Boys: The Tribe ... Is this a Lost Boys sequal?

*watches*

yeah, it's a direct to video sequel. It's not too bad compared to most direct to video sequels out there. Corey Feldman is also back as Edgar Frog

The Salo release had nothing on it, and there's been a release from another company that equals it.

The re-release is going to be a 2-disc set with all sorts of extra shit.

So the extra shit will be packed in with the rest?

Ebert and Roeper leave "At The Movies"

Needless to say, I'm pretty distraught with this move. Rumor has it, "At The Movies" will now become an Access Hollywood/Entertainment Tonight knockoff. Doesn't say anything about Michael Phillips (Who is the permanent fill in host now) but I'm assuming he's canned as well.

Fuck.

Guest The Elements of Style

The program's demise is long overdue. Gene Siskel is dead, Roger Ebert can't speak anymore, and I've never read anything by Richard Roeper that doesn't make me think "wow, what a fuckhead." Case in point:

How they come up with these lists is a mystery to me. What is it that puts "My Sharona" a notch ahead of "Hello Goodbye," but a notch behind "Sussudio"?

Whatever, they always seem to end up with "Hey Jude," "Stairway to Heaven" and "Satisfaction" near the top.

Not me. I like those songs, but I like a bunch of other songs a bunch more.

5. "In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel

4. "Good Things" - Bodeans

3. "Born on the Bayou" - Credence Clearwater Revival

2. "Get Back" - Beatles

1. "Born in the U.S.A." - Bruce Springsteen

I don't know. Roeper's writing is lame but I sort of like him on the show. I really like Michael Phillips too. And really do we need another Access Hollywood ripoff? And how many shows are dedicated entirely to film criticism these days anyway? We've got that show with Jeffrey Lyons and The British chick which is a serviceable At The Movies knockoff and Secret's Out With Leonard Maltin which is awful. I'm sure Roeper will land on his feet somewhere. Possibly The Reelz Channel (if it's not too obscure).

Still this is a sad day for me. At the same time, I'm surprised the show has lasted this long. For the past five years or so, it's aired at 1:30 A.M. on Monday mornings. And before that, it was on Sunday afternoons. Those are probably the two worst timeslots a television show could have. Then again, it has to be ubercheap to produce.

I hope this doesn't mean they dump the AtTheMoviestv.com site, I love searching for old reviews from the show (even if it only goes back to 87)

The only critics I ever liked were Roger Ebert and Joe Bob Briggs.

The thing about Ebert though is that when reviewing the movie Crash (the Cronenberg one), he claims that car crashes is not a real fetish. He obviously hasn't spent much time on the internet. He says "I only wish someone would make a movie that so thoroughly explores my fetishes." For the love of god, on top of everything else, don't make me picture Roger Ebert's fetishes! Guy's gotta have a food fetish. Still, it's like every time someone says something bad about him, it's centered around him being fat. It really doesn't affect his job as a film critic.

I also liked how he totally dissed Rob Schneider.

Ebert's review of "North" is one of my favorite movie reviews ever. He really hated that fucking movie, and I love him for it.

Speaking of Ebert and Schneider, I loved it when Ebert was on Stern, and Rob calls in to try and diss Ebert, only to fail miserably.

Ebert's one of the few guys who I'll consistently check out his review on any movie which looks interesting. I've read so much of his stuff that I know his tastes in movies, and how they line up with mine. So even if his opinion of a movie differs from mine (which it often does) I can still get a sense from his review whether or not it's a movie I want to see.

The fat jokes are really out of date, since it's been years now since he was last fat. With the cancer and all, he's lost like half his body mass.

And I also liked how he totally dissed Rob Schneider. Dude published an entire book with the purpose of dissing Rob Schneider. Now that's a dedication to the artform which I can truly respect.

I also love his North review (until very recently it was my pick for worst movie ever). It's a shame there's been a pretty noticable decline in his reviews for the most part, but the guy still knows how to rip into a really awful movie.

I hope this doesn't mean they dump the AtTheMoviestv.com site, I love searching for old reviews from the show (even if it only goes back to 87)

Shit, I just realized that last night. I could probably do without the TV show (with the internet, I can read any critic in the country) but the archives are gold.

Amusingly enough North was on one of the Showtime channels yesterday. I saw it when I was a kid and even then I didn't like it that much but I didn't get Ebert's pure, unadulterated hatred towards the movie. But after watching twenty minutes of it the other day, I knew where he was coming from. What a shitty, shitty movie. One of those movies that's so bad, it makes you angry. And the depressing thing is it had a good cast!

Guest The Elements of Style

The repeat of tonight's Secret Life of the Amercan Teenager is on at 11. I missed most of it, but the last few minutes here have been pretty awful. Would there be any interest in a Maff chat or OAO Raw-type thread for us to get together and riff a crappy show?

Good news for us SLEEPAWAY CAMP fans. From Fangoria:

Fango has learned that Magnolia Pictures has picked up the long-gestating RETURN TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP, and has scheduled a current DVD release date of October 14 (details and art to come shortly). Originally lensed four years ago under original SLEEPAWAY writer/director Robert Hiltzik, the revival of the slasher series went back for gore FX reshoots in 2006 (pictured; see item here). Original actors Felissa Rose, Jonathan Tierston and Paul DeAngelo return for another round of grisly slayings, joined by THE SOPRANOS’ Vincent Pastore and Isaac (UNCLE SAM) Hayes. Look for a full feature on RETURN in Fango #277, on sale in September. —Michael Gingold

The original had a great ending, one of the best in horror. The rest of the series has been great 80's cheesy fun. Basically this new movie is going to forget about parts 2 and 3 and be a direct sequel of the first film. I'm looking forward to this!

joined by THE SOPRANOS’ Vincent Pastore and Isaac (UNCLE SAM) Hayes.

The line to kick Mr. Gingold in the nards starts behind me.

Yeah. Most. Anybody seen Dan Aykroyd at the soup kitchen lately?

Actually, Akyroyd's probably richer than the rest of the cast except maybe Rob Reiner. He's the co founder of the House of Blues chain of theme restaurants and concert venues, which got sold for $350 million last year to Live Nation. Plus he still makes a killing on Ghostbusters and Blues Brothers residuals (Not to mention the hundreds of thousands he gets for doing faux Blues Brothers gigs with Jim Belushi. *shudders*). He also has a line of wines.

All of this makes his decision to become a third rate character actor all the more befuddling. Still he could co-star in Tim Allen movies and blow hobos for quarters under the overpass and he'd still be one of my favorite SNL castmembers of all time.

He may be a bit old for that now. Nite Owl was supposed to be middle-aged, around forty, and Aykroyd's getting close to sixty, and he ain't exactly a Harrison Ford in terms of aging gracefully. But a decade ago, yeah, I could see it. I didn't know he had all that House Of Blues money, kinda explains why he only seems to do little cameo parts nowadays.

Grindhouse Releasing will have a 2-Disc Special Edition of the Anti-Classic "Pieces" out on Oct. 28th, as well as a reissue of Fulci's "The Beyond."

RIP Estelle Getty.

Is it wrong that my first reaction was "Damn, if I knew she was alive at the beginning of the year I would have picked her for the death pool?" Yes, it probably is. Ah well RIP. It wasn't her fault that Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot was one of the worst Stallone movies.

Just for fun, let's look at the first user comment for aforementioned movie on IMDb

User Comments

(Comment on this title) <script type="text/javascript"> 9 out of 15 people found the following comment useful:- What the hell is wrong with you people?, 2 June 2005

70.gif

Author: amos_mcelhone from Denmark It's actually quite a while since I watched this film, so I'm not sure, that I remember it right. And I've read your comments about the film. And my comment about your comments is: What the hell is wrong with you people? Stop Or my Mom Will Shoot, may not be very good film, but it's fun, and I was very good entertained by it. What the hell is wrong with you people? I know that it's not a film you would watch over and over again, like The Godfather, but it's good entertainment. And the acting is not boiling, but it's okay. Like it or not, I enjoyed watching this film!! That's right!! But I advice every people who gets the chance; give "Stop! Or My Mum Will Shoot" a chance! Freakin' give it a chance! Well, at least if you like action comedies!!

Look it's the Danish Exslade! Even Stallone's admitted he wasn't very good entertained by it.

Spaced is out on DVD today. Why aren't you out buying Spaced? be like me and buy Spaced!

Spaced is out on DVD today. Why aren't you out buying Spaced? be like me and buy Spaced!

I bought it over a year ago from Flesh Wound video. Very funny show, and I agree with Edgar Wright, there should not be an American version as it wouldn't have the same feel to it.

Really. What rapist inmate WOULDN'T want to brag that he fucked Hulk Hogan's kid?

That said, it'd be funny as hell if Nick was forced to sing "Real American" throughout the ordeal.