TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

"I do not want to take the lives of humans, but I MUST feed....I HATE MYSELF!"

See, this is one of the reasons I like "Near Dark" and "The Lost Boys": those were vampires that were fucking glad they were vampires.

"I do not want to take the lives of humans, but I MUST feed....I HATE MYSELF!"

See, this is one of the reasons I like "Near Dark" and "The Lost Boys": those were vampires that were fucking glad they were vampires.

They have those characters in every movie. The Lost Boys, the main character didn't want to feed on humans and become a vampire. Interview with a vampire/Queen of the Damned both had vampires who were fucking glad they were vampires.

I watched "Alien" last night and "Aliens" this morning. Why the hell I waited 22 years to watch Aliens (and since I was born after Alien, let's just use the same year figure for it) is beyond me. Incredible! And now I know where "Game over, man!" originated.

Lord of the Rings question- Is there anywhere I can watch the "purist edit" of The Two Towers online?

For anybody who has no idea what I'm talking about, Here's the trailer

I watched "Alien" last night and "Aliens" this morning. Why the hell I waited 22 years to watch Aliens (and since I was born after Alien, let's just use the same year figure for it) is beyond me. Incredible! And now I know where "Game over, man!" originated.

Aliens is a movie I watch maybe once a year...and each time was just as intense as the previous time.

So I have a habit of catching a matinee on Sat afternoons most weeks, and on a whim and without no information on it, I went and saw a new flick out called House a bit earlier, figured it was a horror (since the only thing I knew about it was that the poster has a pentagram on it), and it was rated R, so figured it couldn't be too bad. Hell, for all I knew, it was an under the radar remake of the House movie from the 80s. Well, what it ended up being was basically a christian-based film of all things. There was no gore, no language at all, no sex/nudity,hardly any violence, much less none of a serious kind. Still trying to figure out why it was even rated R in the first place. Came home and read up about it, and sure enough, apparently there was controversy about even giving it an R because it was financed and produced by a christian-based film company, and there never was an intention to have it be rated R, but yet they couldn't do anything more to the film to get it to a PG-13 because of the "intensity" of the storyline.

Needless to say, this is one film to avoid as horror and christian values just don't mix. Through about 2/3 of the movie, I just thought it was a really tame and lame attempt at horror, but then when they started bringing in the whole story about these characters, who all had killed someone in the past and they needed to redeem themselves by "seeing the light" in the "darkness" of the house to escape, that's when it because obvious what was going on. Oh, and the two main characters are a seperated husband and wife who can't make things work because of the death of their daughter (both blaming the other person for her death) and of course, the whole point is they forgive themselves and their spouse at the end, ie "seeing the light" of God (who was cloaked as their own daughter who was doing the cliche "tortured soul" little girl role, who was inside the house trying to help the couple escape and show them that God forgives them, etc)

I'm sure this movie will gain some sort of weird cult status, particularly within christian-based organizations. Personally, I thought it was pretty fucking awful. Wow, I just checked out some more information on this film, and it was only released in thirteen theaters nationwide, and here in Mankato, MN just happened to be one of them, a place that hardly gets any obscure shit like this, much less most indy films. Weird. Oh and on top of it, to no surprise whatsoever, I was the only person in the theater.

Aliens is a movie I watch maybe once a year...and each time was just as intense as the previous time.

I was out with a girl around a year ago and we were checking out a shopping center that had opened around here. I picked up a few used DVDs at the Moviestop, including Alien. We got home and opened them up to find that there was an Aliens disc in the Alien case. She told me how I should take it back, how that was the right thing to do. After all, she pointed out, I bought Alien so I wanted Alien. I was torn, though. Aliens is so badass. My friends convinced me to keep it, and Aliens and I have been happy ever since.

This actually happened and we decided it was a stirring parable on abortion

I finally got around to seeing Saw V tonight. It was good, but with all the flash back montages you can't help but think instead of making a new movie out of this, it should just be "extra footage" on a previous dvd, haha.

Oh and we got the latest teaser for the Friday the 13th remake. Now, I know a trailer can be deceptive, but goddamn, it looks like they might have FINALLY got one of these horror remakes RIGHT!!!!

Friday the 13th remake teaser

BTW Mike, I still have that teaser poster for Saw V for you, I'll drop it by when I'm in Sac next month.

Saw Bolt today, it was pretty good...Rhino steals the show.

Matlock has the absolute greatest non-episode specific synopsis on my cable system's digital guide:

"Grandpa Simpson's favorite series: a courtroom drama about a cagey Atlanta defense attorney".

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was really good.

I saw it. Didn't do it for me.

The Cinema I saw it in was packed with girls wanting to see that "Twilight" movie. I felt like Al Bundy surrounded by all of those annoying fat chicks (and yes, I saw one in a Jeff Hardy T-Shirt.)

I like how the plots of Alien Cubed and Alien Resurrection both exist to say "the ending you invested your movie going experience in for the previous movie is worth jack shit". I realize I'm several years late to the party on that one, but I just watched these films for the first time over the weekend.

My biggest gripe with Alien 3 is that they killed off Newt and Hicks right away, just like that. I really hate when movie franchises do that. You invest so much time in two characters, you're happy to see them survive the flick and then they end up getting killed off anyway by the time the next flick rolls around.

Alien 3 would have been good if not for all the budget cuts. The directors cut gives it a bit more crediablity.

Alien Resurection was just awful.

My biggest gripe with Alien 3 is that they killed off Newt and Hicks right away, just like that. I really hate when movie franchises do that. You invest so much time in two characters, you're happy to see them survive the flick and then they end up getting killed off anyway by the time the next flick rolls around.

That made me so angry! In 2008! Was this the desired reaction?

Twilight opened to an estimated 36 million (!) on Friday. I had no idea the emo-vampire genre was so big with tween/teen girls.

Since this past spring, I've heard book store employees referring to the Twilight series as being on the level of Harry Potter, popularity wise. While I don't think it'll reach such heights, that still indicates that the movie should do big business.

As for Alien- I have never seen an Alien movie, unless you count AVP. I put Alien 1-3 on my Netflix instant watch queue, though.

Oh man Alien Vs Predator...now that was a sack of shit. I love Alien (well the first two anyways) and I love The Predator so I figured it couldn't be too bad but man was I wrong. I was (still sort of am) mildly tempted to see the sequel but fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The sequel's a little better. Has a proper R rating and doesn't try to make the Predator heroic. Awfully darkly-lit and very hard to see at times, though.

As for Alien Resurrection, some people liked it better thabn 3. I didn't, but some did. YMMV.

I've gotten to the point I just pretend the series ended at Aliens. It's very disappointing knowing if AvP never happened, Cameron and Scott would have combined to revive the franchise. Instead, they decided AvP was a better choice and ended any chance of that happening. I loved Alien and Aliens, Alien3 was a screw up from the word go by eliminating Hicks and Newt. Good thing ROC was there to give it some life otherwise it's a worthless film even with the directors cut. As for Alien Resurrection; I don't have a fucking CLUE how you screw up with that cast but mission accomplished.

As for that sequel, the only funny part was the scene with the National Guard soldiers. Why? Because it steals almost EVERY line from the first encounter with the Colonial Marines complete with the sound effects. It's not that AvP2 is a horrible movie...it's just it's a movie full of either unlikable people or people you don't know enough to give a fuck about.

The best thing about "Alien Resurrection" is Ron Perlman. He has the best character in the whole movie, and makes the whole thing watchable-well, him and Brad Dourif.

The Whole history behind "Alien 3" is fascinating. Who knows what it would have been like with one of the other screenplays.

I finally got around to seeing Saw V tonight. It was good, but with all the flash back montages you can't help but think instead of making a new movie out of this, it should just be "extra footage" on a previous dvd, haha.

Oh and we got the latest teaser for the Friday the 13th remake. Now, I know a trailer can be deceptive, but goddamn, it looks like they might have FINALLY got one of these horror remakes RIGHT!!!!

BTW Mike, I still have that teaser poster for Saw V for you, I'll drop it by when I'm in Sac next month.

Cool. Are you gonna be in town on the 27th? UFC party is going to be huge for this one.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: they should've gotten Mark Verheiden to write the script. He penned the first three books of the Dark Horse Comics Aliens series, which focused on Hicks and Newt some 10-15 years after the events of Aliens and Weyland Yutani's second attempt at capturing the xenomorphs, resulting in the creatures taking over Earth (Book 1). At the start of Book 2, Hicks, Newt, and android soldier Butler (who didn't know he was an android until near the end of Book 1) escape Earth on a cargo vessel bound for an unknown planet, which is run by Colonel Spears. The cargo? Impregnated human hosts in hypersleep. Well, the hypersleep got fucked, and the aliens get out, and Hicks and Newt have to eliminate them, but Spears has other plans: he's got a pair of entire hives he's using to breed aliens in an attempt to train them and use them to take back Earth.

That goes to shit, of course, and Hicks and Newt escape Spears' base on an uncharted planet to dock at Gateway Station (where Ripley met Burke in Aliens). Who do they meet again? Ripley. Turns out that she was awoken out of hypersleep during the Sulaco's return to Earth by ANOTHER Weyland Yutani military team, and she, along with two other soldiers on the 10-man team, were the only survivors. Ripley and Newt have been having dreams: dreams of the Alien Queen Mother, the original Alien Queen on the Alien Homeworld. The mission then becomes to go there, kidnap her, bring her to Earth to gather ALL of the Aliens from around the planet...and nuke the fuck out of them, taking back the planet. Different shit happens, of course, but the end DOES see Ripley, Newt, and Hicks succeed. Earth War, the conclusion (which starts with Ripley and Newt arguing about why Ripley left her and Hicks), is the weakest in the series, just because there's so much going on and it's impossible to really follow what's going on. That, and the ending is very anti-climactic.

...yeah...I'm a fanboy...

Oh man Alien Vs Predator...now that was a sack of shit. I love Alien (well the first two anyways) and I love The Predator so I figured it couldn't be too bad but man was I wrong. I was (still sort of am) mildly tempted to see the sequel but fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The reason I finally got around to seeing the movies was because of AVP:R. When it premiered on "Super Channel" here, they did an Predator / Aliens marathon (on their HD channel to boot) so I just DVR'd the whole thing.

I would almost say I enjoyed Resurrection over 3, solely because of Ron Perlman's performance.

I read somewhere (probably wikipedia) that Ridley Scott consider the original AVP the 3rd best movie in the series.

Cool. Are you gonna be in town on the 27th? UFC party is going to be huge for this one.

I should as far as I know.

Boy, having only one channel sucks...especially when you can't sleep at 3 A.M. on a Tuesday. I'm left watching some weird ass court show with Kato Kaelin as the reporter. Dammit! Shouldn't World News Now be on? Why is Kato Kaelin still working anyways? Didn't his fifteen minutes pass about twelve years ago?