TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

Ya know, I was working on a top ten list (that I didn't finish) and came to realize that I really don't like Requiem for a Dream. But not in the traditional way of not liking something. It's a movie that walks a tightrope, balanced by the performances and the direction (this includes the fridge scene, which is really effective). It ultimately falls, for me, in two ways- that it provided such a visceral, nauseating feeling for me that I can't go back and enjoy it (the DVD hit big in my group of friends around the time I was in tenth or eleventh grade and for some reason they insisted on watching it over and over back to back....ass to assssss) and the second being that I can't shake the feeling that I just watched a big budget modern after-school special.

Otherwise, mine matched up for the most part with the others, only I had Charlie Wilson's War on it.

But if you've said it before, it was without the shift button, lessening the impact.

I don't know what my top 10 of the decade would be. I didn't start going to the movies like crazy until 2004. My #1s since then were Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Cinderella Man, The Departed, Knocked Up and TDK.

I finally saw "All the Boys Love Mandy Lane." Pros and Cons:

Pros:

-The acting, for the large part, is pretty good, especially Amber Heard as the title character, and Whitney Able as Chloe.

-While not the goriest slasher flick (

many of the deaths are caused via shotgun blasts

), it's still brutal enough. Reminded me of a Jack Ketchum novel at times (that's definately a good thing), and at moments, felt like a slasher movie as written by him.

-It's a movie that understands genre conventions, but never feels too aware of itself, too self congradulatory, or too busy riffing on other horror movies.

-Lesbian overtones.

-Great opening sequence.

-

It actually reveals who the killer is halfway through.

I don't know why, but I liked that.

Cons:

-Most of the characters are completely uninteresting. Sure, it's stupid to say that about a horror movie, but it spends plenty of time trying to develope some of them, yet it fails to do that right. Only Mandy Lane and Chloe were interesting. The others are totally unsympathetic, even when the movie tries to make them so.

-The twist and the ending. The twist itself (

Mandy was in on it the whole time

) is terrible, and the ending-I'm still trying to figure that out.

Overall, I'd give it a 7 or a 7.5 out of 10. It's good, well acted enough, and definately kept my interest, but a part of me thought "that was it?" Worth a look, though not worth all the hype and praise it's been getting.

I was watching some of the film "Satan's Little Helper" on television... I assumed someone made this film as a joke and was shocked to find out it was actually in the Tribeca Film Festival in 2004.

-Most of the characters are completely uninteresting. Sure, it's stupid to say that about a horror movie, but it spends plenty of time trying to develope some of them, yet it fails to do that right. Only Mandy Lane and Chloe were interesting. The others are totally unsympathetic, even when the movie tries to make them so.

Absolutely. I'd vaguely heard how this was supposed to be a good horror flick... then again I keep hearing that about every Saw sequel too. After having watched AtBLML, I wish I'd gone for a Saw sequel instead. Partly due to this right here: it was essentially a bunch of incredibly stupid and annoying kids doing dumb shit and being irritating for an hour, occasionally interrupted by pedestrian slasher stuff.

-The twist and the ending. The twist itself (

Mandy was in on it the whole time

) is terrible, and the ending-I'm still trying to figure that out.

Oh god yeah. When

they told us who the killer was halfway through the movie

, it was a pretty easy guess that meant that we were getting another extra twist for the ending. And the most obvious one seemed to be

Mandy's in on the murders

, especially since we had no other explanation why the hell the local innocent virgin was partying with all the drug-addled nymphos in the first place. Completely predicting a film's "twist" ending ahead of time is something which doesn't make me feel smart, it makes me feel like the filmmakers were dumb.

I also wasn't a fan of how they seemed to be trying to remind us of Columbine in a goddamn teen-slasher flick, that was pretty repugnant. As you mentioned, the acting was alright with those two chicks; I wish they'd just made an entire movie along the lines of the weird little scene in the bathroom, rather than the half-baked leftovers we ended up getting.

No chronological, or even logical order here for my Top 10 of the Decade.

The Dark Knight

Memento

SAW

Batman Begins

Requiem for a Dream

The Incredibles

The Departed

Spider-Man 2

Battle Royale

Notable Mentions for WALL-E, The Wrestler, Phantom of the Opera, No Country for Old Men, and the 3 LotR films.

I managed to catch a replay of The Roast of Bob Saget on The Comedy Network last night. Well, more accurately, I watched a DVR recording of it and for whatever reason it was only listed as being an hour so I missed everything after Norm's roast. Good stuff there (a bit late, I realize).

I managed to catch a replay of The Roast of Bob Saget on The Comedy Network last night. Well, more accurately, I watched a DVR recording of it and for whatever reason it was only listed as being an hour so I missed everything after Norm's roast. Good stuff there (a bit late, I realize).

Just remember, that there is no truth to the rumor that BOB SAGET RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL IN 1990!!!!

Just remember, that there is no truth to the rumor that BOB SAGET RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL IN 1990!!!!

Whose bit was that from? Anyway, for whatever reason, I really liked the joke about there being no "Scoundrels Room" for Gilbert.

Whose bit was that from?

Gilbert.

Fine, I'll add my 10 best of the millenia so far

1.) Children of Men

2.) Amelie

3.) City of God

4.) Audition

5.) The Dark Knight

6.) The Wrestler

7.) No Country for Old Men

8.) The Incredibles

9.) Zodiac

10.) The Departed

Honerable Mention goes to Oldboy, The Descent, and Grindhouse.

Norm's myspace has outtakes from his roast. Great stuff

You heard whether or not he's getting that FX show or not? Cause Norm following Sunny would be a outstanding comedy block. And anything that gets Testees away from being an hour is a positive.

The one episode I saw of Testees was amazing, mainly b/c I immediately recognised they filmed it in Toronto.

I don't know anything about the FX show. Norm is touring for much of the first half of this year, so I don't know when he'd have the time.

Speaking of Norm, Chevy Chase told me on Saturday that he thought Dirty Work was terrible

Well, Cops and Robbersons, Nothing But Trouble, and Oh Heavenly Dog show us that Chevy Chase is no arbiter of cinematic quality.

Speaking of Chevy, has anybody read the authorized biography on him that came out a year or so ago? I'm really curious to read it given all of the stuff I've read about him being a massive asshole.

I've wanted to read it, but apparently it's just a total whitewash of the guy. I think it was written in response to Live from NY and every other story about it.

The two times I've met him, he's been okay, but he does have that rub you the wrong way personality.