TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

I saw this on MSN, I thought it was pretty funny and accurate.

There are times when the romantic chemistry between the stars of a movie can be so real, so palpable, and so compelling you believe you are really seeing two people fall in love right before your eyes.

These ten movie pairings were not any of those times.

Nick Nolte & Julia Roberts

I Love Trouble - 1994

In the early 90's, Julia came out of nowhere to become the biggest female star in the world. Nick was named People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" in 1992. So why not pair them together in a screwball comedy about dueling reporters? Because he was nearly twice her age, and both of them appeared to be painfully aware of that fact.

Ben Affleck & Jennifer Lopez

Gigli - 2003

Ah, "Gigli." The makers of "Ishtar" thank you for replacing their movie title as the funny word that means "embarrassing flop." Ben and J.Lo met on the set of their ill-conceived gangster-meets-lesbian love story, and the tabloids were packed with stories about them every week thereafter. Still, real life sparks don't always translate to the screen, and the movie's failure killed the couple's future.

Harrison Ford & Anne Heche

Six Days, Seven Nights - 1998

When Anne Heche was cast in this romantic action movie, she was a little-known but well-respected actress. By the time the film hit screens, everybody knew her as Ellen DeGeneres' girlfriend. But even without the real world intruding, there's no way anyone would buy the 29-year-old Heche and 56-year-old Ford ending up together, no matter how much time they spent on a desert island.

Kevin Spacey & Kate Bosworth

Beyond the Sea - 2004

The real Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee were quite an odd couple. He was a balding singer from the Bronx; she was a 16-year-old movie star. But somehow they made it work. In the movie of Darin's life, however, Spacey and Bosworth were completely unbelievable. It didn't help that Spacey was eight years older than the actual Darin actually lived to be. At least his hairline fit the part.

Hayden Christensen & Natalie Portman

Star Wars - Episode II and Episode III - 2002/2005

After watching the uncomfortable scenes with Natalie Portman and 10-year-old Jake Lloyd in "The Phantom Menace," Star Wars fans everywhere thought, "It can't get worse than this." Oh, how little they knew. For the next two prequels, they were faced with Portman and Christensen stiffly reciting George Lucas' leaden dialogue. When the giant lizard Obi-Wan rides is more convincing than their romance, it's enough to make you want to scream "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Madonna & Adriano Giannini

Swept Away - 2002

The original Italian 1974 film "Swept Away," was an examination of class and gender issues. Guy Ritchie's 2002 remake is an examination of his then-wife's dedication to Pilates. Watching this movie makes you not only question why Madonna would fall for Adriano Giannini's crude and abusive fisherman, but why she thought it'd be a good idea to make another movie with her spouse after having already bombed with Sean Penn in "Shanghai Surprise."

Dan Aykroyd & Rosie O'Donnell

Exit to Eden - 1994

"Exit to Eden" was a dark, romantic novel by "Interview With a Vampire" author Anne Rice about bondage and S&M. Who better, then, to turn it into a movie than the creator of "Mork and Mindy?" An even better question: what movie executive thought that the formula for box office gold was putting Dan Aykroyd and Rosie O'Donnell in skimpy studded leather outfits? As the comic relief they are painfully unfunny, and not the kind of painful a dominatrix would enjoy.

Justin Guarini & Kelly Clarkson

From Justin to Kelly - 2003

Casting the first and second place finishers of "American Idol" in the lead roles of a movie is sort of like letting the "Top Chef" winners perform your appendectomy. You would think being on a TV show together would make both Justin and Kelly comfortable being in the presence of both a camera and each other, but they look lost without Simon around to berate them. At least the dismal failure of the movie insured that we wouldn't be subjected to "From Cook to Archuleta."

Eddie Murphy & Eddie Murphy

Norbit - 2006

It took 25 years of hard work for Eddie Murphy to go from "Saturday Night Live" cast member to Oscar-nominated thespian. But it took just 2-1/2 minutes of the "Norbit" trailer to kill any hope he ever had of being taken seriously again. As both the nerdy title character and his overweight and domineering wife Rasputia, Murphy proved he can be supremely unpleasant no matter what size or gender.

Woody Allen & Any Actress 20+ Years Younger than Him

It was always part of the comedy in Woody Allen's early movies how a bespectacled, awkward guy like him could end up with gorgeous women. Unfortunately, no one ever let Woody in on the joke. And by the time he was casting women like Téa Leoni (31 years younger than him) and Julia Roberts (32), it really stopped being funny. The most absurd: when his character in "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion" is seduced by Charlize Theron (a full four decades younger than Woody).

Saw this trailer before The Wrestler today. I giggled a bit when they started talking about the donkey punch, but I couldn't stop laughing after the title came up.

I saw the Donkey Punch trailer a while ago...looks epic in a hilarious kinda way. They make it sound like the donkey punch will be the greatest moment in sex history...and dude kills a girl with it :)

Is "Sweeps" an antiquated concept now? A friend of mine was all excited that, with it being February, shows would be new all month. Well, a glance at the 2 weeks of my scheduled DVR recordings reveal no new Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, Office, and I think there's one episode of 30 Rock. Family Guy makes it's return tonight after what I believe was a 7 month drought (sure seemed that way), but Fox's Sunday night line up appears to be right back to not existing after tonight (I get that the 22nd is the Oscars though). So, what the hell happened to "Sweeps Month"?

I'm sorry, but I can't take any movie called "Donkey Punch" seriously.

Anyone seen the trailer for "Inglorious Basterds" yet? Just saw the trailer for the first time tonight and I like the look of it so far, although Brad's accent is a bit, shall we say, forced.

I've been trying to jump start a Talking Heads renaissance for a while. See, for example, a few years ago, I bought a Jeff Buckley CD and got my friends into it and next thing you know, "Hallelujah" starts turning up in The West Wing and every other movie and show. Which is weird, because none of my friends work on The West Wing or anything. Regardless. Two years later, I got Stop Making Sense on DVD and got all my friends into it. So I shoulda seen this coming.

So to answer your question, I have no idea.

Ok so I was watching "seeing Red" last night

Buffy series 6 spike Rape episode and a thought occured.

With the way that Spike ends that episode should Series 7 have been Evil Spike finally becoming the Big Bad ?

Now admittedly I was a total mark for the end sequence of the series 7 opener, but they never really played with

the concept in the way it could have been utilised.

I know Buffy ex love turning evil had been done before, but so had Vampire with a soul.

I think series 7 just was a missed opportunity and I haven't been collecting series 8.

Any thoughts??

Charles Harrelson (actor Woody Harrelson's dad) was an expert marksman. In 1960, he became a contract killer, one of the best (and highest paid) in the world. In 1968, he was hired to kill businessman Sam Degelia. He would serve time in Leavenworth for the murder. After being released, Harrelson’s wife gave birth to a son, Woody, who later achieved fame as an actor on “Cheers.” While under arrest, Charles Harrelson confessed to the murder of John F. Kennedy. He later withdrew the confession but was convicted of murdering Judge Wood and was sentenced to two life terms.

Is this common knowledge?

It doesn't really need it's own thread. But here is the trailer for my first short film:

Enjoy and be kind.

It doesn't really need it's own thread. But here is the trailer for my first short film:

Enjoy and be kind.

Looks to be some decent shots, the one at the very end in particular. But I dunno if I like the high contrast black and white filter you put on it. I would agree with the abovementioned "hand cannon" issue, but without it being in the context of the movie as a whole I don't know how much of an issue that would really be. And the title being in red is a bit jarring with everything else being desaturated.

How long is the movie?

You should have made it a comedy a la Shaun of the Dead....or maybe it is? I mean, I did laugh a few times, not sure if that was the reaction you wanted. I'm not hating though, Luke, you have a lot more ambition, drive and focus than my lazy ass does, so good luck with this!

It's not meant to be a comedy, but I have had some laughs from the people who watched the rough edit. The film is about 45 minutes.

RE: Black and white. The film isn't, my editor has obviously got his new editing package and went a bit "effect" crazy on it. Don't worry the film doesnt look like that.

And no worries on the hating BL, I take critisism well.

Jesus Christ.. no show could have ever jumped the shark harder than Roseanne.

The last season's "Roseannebo" episode is on....and WOW just WOW

From blue collar to battling terrorists on a train

Jesus Christ.. no show could have ever jumped the shark harder than Roseanne.

The last season's "Roseannebo" episode is on....and WOW just WOW

From blue collar to battling terrorists on a train

I agree, that show was great and then... went to WTFVille in short order.

Steve Martin makes me so fucking mad now. Every movie after 1991 pisses over the memory of all the work he did in the 70s and 80s. Fuck Pink Panther and this imposter Steve Martin.

Steve Martin makes me so fucking mad now. Every movie after 1991 pisses over the memory of all the work he did in the 70s and 80s. Fuck Pink Panther and this imposter Steve Martin.

I was looking at his IMDB page to defend against this...but yeah, 91 was the turning point for him where everything sucked after