TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

The greatest movie cast of the 1980's is finally coming together today: (From the WON)

Speaking of The Expendables, Arnold Schwarzenegger just signed on this week to do a cameo. The movie is about a team of mercenaries going to South America to overthrow a dictator and besides Couture, signed up for the cast are Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Forest Whitaker and All Japan Pro Wrestling’s Aaron Aguilera (Zodiac). They are also in talks with Ben Kingsley and Sandra Bullock.

The greatest movie cast of the 1980's is finally coming together today: (From the WON)

Speaking of The Expendables, Arnold Schwarzenegger just signed on this week to do a cameo. The movie is about a team of mercenaries going to South America to overthrow a dictator and besides Couture, signed up for the cast are Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Forest Whitaker and All Japan Pro Wrestling’s Aaron Aguilera (Zodiac). They are also in talks with Ben Kingsley and Sandra Bullock.

My god, that looks like such a cluterfuck of a cast, but in such a great way!

Guest Smues

The Chun Li movie is currently sitting at 0% on RT. That's out of only 11 reviews so far, but if there's only 11 reviews up on the day it's released that likely means that they didn't screen it for the Critics, meaning the studio knows it sucks. I am so going to have to see this.

I'm still wondering when were are going to get a trailer for Michael Mann's Public Enemies (with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale). All that we have got so far is like a 9 second trailer at the end of the Oscars:

This needs Van Damme.

"The Lawnmower Man" is a hilarious movie.

Fox just sent word that they've picked up The Simpsons for two more seasons. So, if you've stopped counting, that means the FOX staple will have completed 22 seasons and an astonishing 493 episodes by the time this pickup runs out. I'd imagine they'd want to push for 500, so don't be surprised to see a 23rd season, as well.

Look, say what you will about what the show has become; it's not as funny as it used to be, it doesn't make news anymore, blah blah blah. It's still quite shocking that in this day and age of quick-trigger-fingered network executives that any show can last as long as The Simpsons has.

Anyone who saw The Simpsons debut in 1989 would have never guessed it would still be on today. Why? Because it was hilarious and just a little bit subversive (at least according to the first President Bush). You would think that creatively the show would have tanked long ago or the novelty of it would have worn off to the point that people would stop watching it. But it keeps chugging along.

I watched the first-ever HD episode a couple of weeks ago, and while I wasn't overly satisfied with how frantic it was (I mean, the story of why Homer didn't win the class president election would have been enough without the silly sauce stirrer/soothsayer), I still thought it was funnier than most of what I see on TV today. Since there's such a lack of comedy on network TV, having The Simpsons stay on the schedule to help influence tomorrow's sitcom writers can't hurt, right?

So, how much longer do you think the show will go? Let me know in the comments.

tvsquad.com

That is GOOD news.

I remember hearing it was on it's final season like 5 years ago. What ever happened to that?

The good thing is there must be about 7 seasons that I haven't seen a single episode from now, so if I ever buy the DVDs it'll be a first time experience for me.

I've finally gotten round to watching the trailer to the new Street Fighter movie.

Good lord what a pile of toss.

The elation I had when I found out that Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, and Harry Shearer were doing an unplugged tour together playing Spinal Tap and The Folksmen songs was quickly dashed when I found out that the ticket prices for their Boston show was $60.

Yeah, wasn't sure where to put a post about a joke band(s) made up of comedians touring but I figured it'd work better here than in the Music Folder.

So Late Night with Jimmy Fallon was as bad as I thought it would be. I don't want to be hard on the guy since it was his first night but my god. The Monologue was god awful and so was his delivery.

"The Visitor" is a very good movie. Bravo Richard Jenkins.

Co-signed. Watched it today and it's excellent. Very disarming in the way it goes about things, almost too obvious and intentional but Jenkins is great as are the actors who play Tariq and his mother.

He cries like a bitch and dumps bitches like a bitch

Oh my god that does sound terrible. Firstly, I love the part where the article offhandedly mentions that the producer of this show is currently busy shooting a movie... Demonic Toys 2, to be specific. Some might note that such humble beginnings do not guarantee future failure; Dark Knight screenwriter David S. Goyer started out writing the first Demonic Toys flick, after all. But it's still a pretty bad omen.

Furthermore, apparently it's essentially gonna be H.P. Lovecraft's Smallville, with a young Herbert West going to school and learning his trade. Firstly: even the "good" Re-Animator movie was nowhere near good enough to merit an entire franchise. Secondly: a frigging "Lovecraft" protagonist with goofy MTV emo boy-band hair?

Finally: have ANY of these people actually READ the original story, "Herbert West: Re-Animator"? Aside from being a generic Frankenstein ripoff, it's not one of Lovecraft's better works, and is possibly the most racist thing he's ever written (check out that unbelievable description of the unevolved gorilla-like black guy). This shit is so far from the original inspiration that it really makes me wonder why they even bother. I mean, really, are Howard Phillips Lovecraft's books so goddamn popular, 82 years after his death, that there's any kind of built-in fanbase to take advantage of? I've seen at least half a dozen movies based on his stories, and every single one of them has veered so far away from the original text that I don't even see the point of claiming it's an adaptation in the first place.

ugh, Nip/Tuck wrapped up its least memorable season ever this week. Not much Julia and Matt this year, which was a plus, but it's a shame that a show that was so fun for 2 seasons has been so bad for 3

Really, the Carver reveal was a shark jumper for me...and then Julia banging the dwarf just did the show in for good. I tried getting in to the whole doctors in hollywood thing, but I've lost all interest in this show.

The Carver was such a letdown...a character like that didn't need to be an established character already, could have been a totally new person and it would have made more sense.

And yeah, the dwarf thing was more funny than anything else.

The show's awful, but I still manage to find time for it