TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

Oh my god that does sound terrible. Firstly, I love the part where the article offhandedly mentions that the producer of this show is currently busy shooting a movie... Demonic Toys 2, to be specific. Some might note that such humble beginnings do not guarantee future failure; Dark Knight screenwriter David S. Goyer started out writing the first Demonic Toys flick, after all. But it's still a pretty bad omen.

Furthermore, apparently it's essentially gonna be H.P. Lovecraft's Smallville, with a young Herbert West going to school and learning his trade. Firstly: even the "good" Re-Animator movie was nowhere near good enough to merit an entire franchise. Secondly: a frigging "Lovecraft" protagonist with goofy MTV emo boy-band hair?

Finally: have ANY of these people actually READ the original story, "Herbert West: Re-Animator"? Aside from being a generic Frankenstein ripoff, it's not one of Lovecraft's better works, and is possibly the most racist thing he's ever written (check out that unbelievable description of the unevolved gorilla-like black guy). This shit is so far from the original inspiration that it really makes me wonder why they even bother. I mean, really, are Howard Phillips Lovecraft's books so goddamn popular, 82 years after his death, that there's any kind of built-in fanbase to take advantage of? I've seen at least half a dozen movies based on his stories, and every single one of them has veered so far away from the original text that I don't even see the point of claiming it's an adaptation in the first place.

reminding me: 'demonic toys', in its own special way, is balldroppingly awesome. i saw it when i was eleven, and shortly afterward hit puberty. not a coincidence.

Bad Biology, or: Frank ("Basket Case", "Braind Damage", & "Frankenhooker") Henenlotter's First movie in 16 year. Or:

There's a woman with seven clits who wants to have sex with God and tends to take photographs of men in the state of orgasm and then kill said men, cameos from rappers and a hip hop soundtrack (and score from Prince Paul), vagina masks, a dude with a 24 inch long drug addicted cock that escapes and becomes a stop motion rape happy monstrosity with a mind of it's own, POV vagina shots from the inside, an ongoing orgasm-I could go on.

Never before have I felt weird about laughing so something so fucked up. Love it or hate it, it's unlike anything I've ever seen. I still can't tell if it's a Horror/Comedy or the world's longest dirty joke.

In short: Milky, this might be right up your alley.

Random super hero movie news: Alexander Skarsgård ("True Blood") is in talks to play Thor while Josh Hartnett is in the running to play Loki. I guess with HHH getting arrested, they want to distance themselves from him... Meanwhile, despite the two movies being marginally successful, Fox is looking into rebooting Fantastic Four and serious-ing things up due to the prosperity of Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

I saw that at rottentomatoes. The F4 movies make money, so why not just keep going?

I know a reboot means all new cast, but I just picture the original cast acting all serious, and it cracks me up.

Yeah. I saw it at Dark Horizons, and they noted that rebooting the Hulk only led to an extra $17 million or some other un-notable number. F4 coming off two episodic movies and getting immediately rebooted might not make much more, if not less, of a difference than that. You know, I don't think I've watched either F4 movie from beginning to end, but I kinda like the cast, even if Jules McMahon, a decision I was excited about before they started filming, made for a disappointing Doc Doom. And of course, Latin girls with blond hair look like cheap whores, according to comics' own John Byrne.

Hulk (ang lee) made 132 million.

Hulk (Ed Norton) made 134 million.

Adjusted for inflation, more people saw Hulk 1 than New Hulk. I think 5 years is way too soon to reboot something. At least with the Batman series, you got the sense that they were really changing the look and feel of the series. New Hulk looked like the first Hulk, except with Toronto filling in for whatever city was in Hulk 1.

the Hulk reboot wasn't even really a reboot, it was just a recast. Everything from the first film was acknowledged, including Hulk ending up in South America to escape the US military. It just came off like a sequel with brushed up graphics and a new cast. Sam Elliott should have been brought back for the simple fact, he's Sam f'n Elliott!

I enjoyed The Incredible Hulk as a sequel more than I enjoyed the original Hulk. However original Hulk was a attempt at something different that just backfired and ended up incredibly weird, stupid and creepy by the ending.

I saw that at rottentomatoes. The F4 movies make money, so why not just keep going?

Yeah I don't understand that... they have a nice niche that no other comic book franchise has right now with the whole family friendly ratings and all.

the Hulk reboot wasn't even really a reboot, it was just a recast. Everything from the first film was acknowledged, including Hulk ending up in South America to escape the US military. It just came off like a sequel with brushed up graphics and a new cast. Sam Elliott should have been brought back for the simple fact, he's Sam f'n Elliott!

I don't think it was exactly intended to be a straight sequel to the first film. Lots of major plot elements from the first film are completely ignored: Banner's father, the genetic tinkering, the nuclear blast during Bruce's childhood (hell, did that ever get explained in the first Hulk?), stuff like that. Plus, they explicitly changed the origin story of how he became the Hulk in the first place, basically reverting back to the Bixby/Ferrigno television version. I think they just started the story off with Banner in the jungle again to avoid confusing people who saw the first movie but aren't comic fans and don't understand how comic franchises retcon things all the time and fans mostly just accept it. Plus, it was a logical starting point anyway, with Banner hiding away from the world until he's found by Ross again.

I think my new favorite show is The Misadventures of Flapjack. Yes, on Cartoon Network. Not Adult Swim, either. Straight up cartoon made supposedly for kids. It's very much a Ren & Stimpy successor.

ScarJo & Mickey Rourke Help Raise Iron Curtain

: E! OnlineThu Mar 12, 2009, 4:33 am EDT Buzz up!

Scarlett Johansson is joining the superhero set.

Her rep confirms that the actress has signed on to play Black Widow in the Iron Man sequel opposite Robert Downey Jr. The deal was signed this afternoon.

"Scarlett is thrilled to be a part of Iron Man," her rep, Marcel Pariseau, tells me.

Meanwhile, after months of negotiations...

The Wrestler's comeback kid, Mickey Rourke, has finally sealed a deal to play villain Whiplash, according to Variety.

Rourke's team had reportedly held out for more money after Marvel's initial offer was just $250,000.

Scheduled for a May 2010 release, part two of the franchise will also include Gwyneth Paltrow returning as Pepper Potts, along with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Don Cheadle playing Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes.

Random super hero movie news: Alexander Skarsgård ("True Blood") is in talks to play Thor while Josh Hartnett is in the running to play Loki. I guess with HHH getting arrested, they want to distance themselves from him... Meanwhile, despite the two movies being marginally successful, Fox is looking into rebooting Fantastic Four and serious-ing things up due to the prosperity of Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

When did this happen?

I was thrown off the first time I saw that, too. "What? Did he get busted with steroids on his person or something?" I actually pulled up the Observer website to check the headlines before I remembered the angle.

That being said, why the hell was HHH ever rumored to actually be considered as the starring hero of a major big-budget franchise film? Aside from Rock, no wrestler has ever been trusted with anything close to that, and anyone who saw HHH in Blade Trinity can tell you that he's no Rock when it comes to acting. I've never seen any sources on why his name was floating around for the Thor role. As far as I can tell, it all started after he came out dressed as Hunter The Barbarian at Wrestlemania 22.

That being said, the cast is the colorless vampire dude from True Blood and fucking Josh Hartnett? Ewww.

To be fair, Hartnett did Lucky Number Slevin, which was criminally ignored if you ask me.

Josh Harnett as Loki is pretty stupid.

I'd love to agree but:

Lucky Number Slevin

Sin City

Black Hawk Down

all killer movies and he was just fine in them

Josh Harnett as Loki is pretty stupid.

I'd love to agree but:

Lucky Number Slevin

Sin City

Black Hawk Down

all killer movies and he was just fine in them

And while most shit on it, I still think "O" was a damn fine movie. Mekhi Pfeifer overacted (which is to say Mekhi Pfeifer was in the movie), but Hartnett played a good manipulative asshole.