TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

The Pizza Hut Rebellion, right? Is it worth picking up? I hear it nearly is similar to GDS and frankly don't wanna go through that again.

GDS?

1) Is Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid worth picking up? I hear a lot of good things about it, but I know next to nothing about it. Can you guys at least tell me somethings about it and is it worth while?

If you've seen FMP then you know what to expect and if not, it's probably recommended viewing going in. TSR is so much better regardless. Since it's only 13 episodes there are no wasted moments and is quickly paced, the action and villains are great, and the character development, especially Sousuke's is well done. I'd probably rank TSR and Fumoffu (speaking of, for comedy it doesn't get much better) even at the top with FMP second.

2) Is anyone else not that impressed with the current season from Japan? Its a little underwhelming this time around, while I am only into just Negima (fan of manga) and Kanon (actually is quite entertaining, if cliched), from what I've read of the other series just seem to frivolous and not really worth it (I'm not interested at Death Note before anyone asks.).

Eh. I don't think it's been any better or worse than usual.

Black Lagoon (though technically a continuation), Code Geass, Death Note, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto and Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi (fulfilling my demon slaughtering steeped in history and shogunate era politics fix, but unfortunately subbers are slow on both) are all worthwhile and are first tier in my eyes.

There's more enjoyable releases out there which have one or two flaws or may not appeal as broadly, like Kekkaishi, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Hitman Reborn, Kanon, Pumpkin Scissors (loads of potential, just waiting to see if GONZO fucks it up, as usual), even dumb Shonen Jump-type action like Busou Renkin or D.Gray-man. Maybe it's just because I have a high tolerance/hate to give up on a series partway through.

What are people's thoughts on Avatar. I never watched this show because it's on one of the kiddie networks and I only really watch Cartoon Network and only then for Adult Swim. But I have a very dear friend who swears that the show is great. Is it worth watching.

It's actually an American production but is quite good, although I completely missed out on the second season. There's obviously a lot of effort put into the production, the animation is always smooth, as is the fight choreography. It gets a little heavy handed with morals at times, which is to be expected, but it's still more mature than a lot of kid's shows, so you can do worse.

The Pizza Hut Rebellion, right? Is it worth picking up? I hear it nearly is similar to GDS and frankly don't wanna go through that again.

GDS?

I had the initials wrong. GSD was what it was supposed to be and that's Gundam Seed Destiny for clarification.

1) Is Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid worth picking up? I hear a lot of good things about it, but I know next to nothing about it. Can you guys at least tell me somethings about it and is it worth while?

If you've seen FMP then you know what to expect and if not, it's probably recommended viewing going in. TSR is so much better regardless. Since it's only 13 episodes there are no wasted moments and is quickly paced, the action and villains are great, and the character development, especially Sousuke's is well done. I'd probably rank TSR and Fumoffu (speaking of, for comedy it doesn't get much better) even at the top with FMP second.

Actually, I haven't seen FMP the original either I guess I should say. So how does this work for FMP? FMP -> TSR -> Fumoffu in terms of watching?

2) Is anyone else not that impressed with the current season from Japan? Its a little underwhelming this time around, while I am only into just Negima (fan of manga) and Kanon (actually is quite entertaining, if cliched), from what I've read of the other series just seem to frivolous and not really worth it (I'm not interested at Death Note before anyone asks.).

Eh. I don't think it's been any better or worse than usual.

Black Lagoon (though technically a continuation), Code Geass, Death Note, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto and Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi (fulfilling my demon slaughtering steeped in history and shogunate era politics fix, but unfortunately subbers are slow on both) are all worthwhile and are first tier in my eyes.

There's more enjoyable releases out there which have one or two flaws or may not appeal as broadly, like Kekkaishi, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Hitman Reborn, Kanon, Pumpkin Scissors (loads of potential, just waiting to see if GONZO fucks it up, as usual), even dumb Shonen Jump-type action like Busou Renkin or D.Gray-man.

I meant in terms of new shows. Code Geass seems like Gundam Seed Destiny rehash, Death Note I'm not really sure I'd like, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto I know nothing about, and TIAA is another one that just doesn't seem to be appealing to me (yet I'm reading Kenshin and loving it, kinda weird since I should like both if that is so). I'm only watching Negima!? out of faithfulness and Kanon because I liked the original (like this one much better though).

I'm actually watching anime again, and I started with Texhnolyze. It's quite moody, ambiguous and slow-moving so far, which isn't necessarily a negative. It's quite interesting actually.

Pizza Hut Rebellion, heh. 4channer?

Code Geass isn't like Seed Destiny at all, unless it suddenly starts to suck, then tanks massively. At this point, though, it's very good. I also like the fact it avoids some of the more typical mecha show cliches, and Lelouch as a protagonist is just great.

Actually, I haven't seen FMP the original either I guess I should say. So how does this work for FMP? FMP -> TSR -> Fumoffu in terms of watching?

The primary plotline runs from FMP to TSR. Though they were originally published concurrently the stories in Fumoffu don't tie-in strongly chronologically to either and someone could watch Fumoffu without needing to watch FMP/TSR and vice versa.

Pizza Hut Rebellion, heh. 4channer?

Code Geass isn't like Seed Destiny at all, unless it suddenly starts to suck, then tanks massively. At this point, though, it's very good. I also like the fact it avoids some of the more typical mecha show cliches, and Lelouch as a protagonist is just great.

Random Curiousity and then it moved on over to 4chan or so I noticed.

<_< Um... I do not frequent 4chan, I just sorta know... For some reason.

...I'm digging my own grave here, aren't I? ^_^;; ...yes, 4channer, shut up. :P

Wait, it avoids the cliches in a mecha show? You mean there's no God like war machine that mows that everyone wants or knows of (and usually wants)? What else is different, if I might inquire?

The primary plotline runs from FMP to TSR. Though they were originally published concurrently the stories in Fumoffu don't tie-in strongly chronologically to either and someone could watch Fumoffu without needing to watch FMP/TSR and vice versa.

Ok, so Fumoffu can sometimes tie-in, but doesn't always. So it would be FMP AND some of Fumoffu then TSR? Hm. I'll see if I can pick me up some. Though I really hate how its like 70$ for 4 discs and like 8 episodes. :( Hopefully the subtitles are in (I hate dubs only).

I guess you're buying so it's worth looking into ADVs Complete Collection Thinpak sets. There are less frills than the single releases but they're a cheaper alternative, though I think the FMP sets have all extras included anyway. From a look through ADVs site the original is going for $90 and Fumoffu (which was just released) for $50.

And no, I mean it doesn't tie in at all, really. The main plot and side stories of Fumoffu were released side by side, but as far as the anime goes, cross references and what not are kept to a minimum, meaning barely any and there's no strict interpretation as to where certain episodes belong. You know those omake chapters sometimes released with manga? Think of Fumoffu as those, basically supplementary material meant to focus on characters' personalities and various underutilized aspects of the series, where it fits doesn't matter.

As for Geass we've seen parts of it before, especially from Sunrise. Keep in mind I've only seen bits of Seed since going through the awful Wing. It's generally well done and there's something for everyone, including harem romance, comedy, of course action, war, politics, etc. It's definitely not a stretch to call it a more grounded Gundam. Naturally mechs are reminiscent of Gundam, FMP, Patlabor, etc. The mechs are more or less a prop in the grand scheme, however, the true backbone and crux lies in the rebellion and characters, which is what sets it apart. I like the dueling moral ambiguity thing when it's done well and there's no shortage of it in Geass although time will tell where everyone falls. The dual leads are of the hopeful Sunrise idealist, where the appeal lies is that they're strong and proactive in their role, neither of them whine and cry like in so many other mech shows, basically angst is nil. None of the main characters really fit into the stereotypical archetype of their roles in the series as dictated by anime standards. The designs by CLAMP are hit or miss and there's cheese here and there but it's shaping up to be the best of the season as long as it keeps up this consistency.

Suzaku (Geass) is beginning to grate on my nerves, because I've gotten to dislike the typical "goody two-shoes idealist wonder-pilot" bit, especially after Seed Destiny.

There's also a lot of fear they're going to pull a Kira Yamato with him. I don't really think the fears have much foundation, but, I'd rather the spotlight stay on Lelouch.

The female character designs are better than the mens, IMO.. Why? They were refined by Takahiro Kimura (King of Braves Gaogaigar, Godannar, for two of his more famous designs) who's just awesome.

Picked up the entire run of the Midori Days anime for $20 (Hooray Fry's!). It's 13 or 14 episodes long and an average formulaic romance-comedy anime (except for the love interest being the guy's right hand), but I'm not complaining for the price I paid.

In the process of getting the first few eps of Death Note for a change of pace.

Some awesome viral marketing by Kadokawa and Bandai by the way. I'm guessing they'll be using Bang Zoom! as the studio.

Did you catch the Code Geass parody site?

Yep.

I noticed the Haruhi site link on animeondvd's forums about a week ago, and remembered what was going on when I saw the threads on 4chan. The stuff they were slipping into the source code was great, too.

None of the auditions in the Haruhi polls were all that good but maybe things will come together once they actually start production. In any case there'll still be subtitles.

And of course SaiGAR is finally under way. Mechazawa for the victory.

Just thought I'd throw this out there:

www.rightstuf.com is currently running 40% off all VIZ DVD's and a third off VIZ manga. This, of course, includes Bleach, Inu Yasha, and Naruto. Preorders are included in the special. Special runs through January 14th.

Just in case someone's interested.

Considering I'm buying Full Metal Alchemist, this is great news CV, thanks.

And the only thing I'm interested in for the new season is the stuff that's still playing and Shuffle. All the others don't really seem to be grabbing my attention.

Naruto is pretty hit or miss, especially the fillers. There are some really good fights mixed in with the crap, but they tend to be too damned stop and go due to the characters making 5 minute speeches while in the midst of combat.

hahahah I'm shocked nobody has further discussed this. While I enjoy the knowledge, sometimes they too often randomly cut from a HUGE fight to explain why this and this is happening. Good example is when Rock Lee first used the Lotus.

Anyway, I'm on about ep 60 in Naruto after finally deciding to watch what the best friend gave me, and I love it. Looks like the love will suddenly halt somewhere, though :(

question: what ep number is Naruto on?

So a friend of mine recommended some anime called "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" to me. Is it any good? I don't really watch that much anime outside of sometimes Adult Swim.

I have watched a little of this and I love it. It's actually quite funny.

Bleach Fillers are now over, new arc begining. Oh happy day!

For those of you who don't know:

The first DVD of "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi" will be on sale apparently this January 27th. That's right, in two days you'll be able to own the first DVD of Haruhism. And even better, they've got the whole ED dance routine in it (as well as intructions on how to do it). If you want to see what its like early: Click Here!

...yes, it just leads you to 4chan, I lied. I do that on occasion.

Seriously though, I'm so learning how to do this for when I head down for AX.

The first DVD of "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi" will be on sale apparently this January 27th. That's right, in two days you'll be able to own the first DVD of Haruhism. And even better, they've got the whole ED dance routine in it (as well as intructions on how to do it). If you want to see what its like early: Click Here!

I need a gif of that dance. I need it now.

Wow, it's been a while since I posted here. I think the new anime AS has been mentioning in the bumps lately might be Blood+, but that's just wild speculation on my part.

I finally got my torrent shit working again(goddamn Windows Service Pack 2), but all I could really catch up with was Bleach(I know I'm in the minority, but I fucking loved the Bounto filler arc and wish it could have somehow been incorporated into the manga), Busou Renkin(Papillon makes me want to gouge my eyes out), and Yugiou GX. Though I have started watching One Piece and wish I had done so sooner.

Oh, and a hearty FUCK YOU to Bill Gates for screwing up my torrent client to the point where I had to basically stop watching everything(except Bleach, thankfully) til I finally figured out how to fix it.

Odd. I haven't had any problems with uTorrent since the update. Of course, the only things I've had a chance to download have been .hack//SIGN and .hack//ROOTS. Playing the first game in the new .hack series got me interested in the extended universe. Had to figure out how the hell Haseo got to where he was.

Well, I didn't start running uTorrent til recently as I was still using BitTornado. I switched to uTorrent and still had the same problem(AOL booting me offline after about 10 minutes) until I found the patch on the uTorrent site that put a stop to that shit.

Ginger will get you the .gif as soon as its made. Hm... There's apparently a torrent of it (high def), as well as people saying that this is just a teaser and that there is a full version of the dance that is on the DVD only.

BTW a long time ago I mentioned that there would be a podcast I was doing on anime. Well, here it is: Go here and download episode 1 and 2! Episode 3 is scheduled for this Sunday, hopefully up on Wednesday. BTW, for those wondering, I'm Kageho in the podcast. You know, the OTHER American. ...I ain't gonna get over that.

And am I the only one going "thank God there's still shows going on from last season"? Because I'm totally unimpressed with this current season of new stuff.

Also, I picked up the Death Note manga and I'm absolutely loving it and wished I got into Death Note sooner. It is pretty damn awesome.

That's some amazing turnaround from officially announcing the license to getting the DVD on shelves. To go with one of the Haruhi motifs, it'd been funny if it started appearing on shelves before the official statement was made.