Ring of Honor 4.28.06

World Title Match

Bryan Danielson defends vs. Jimmy Yang

Tag Title Match

Austin Aries & Roderick Strong defend vs. Samoa Joe & Matt Sydal

Pure Title Match

Nigel McGuinness defends vs. Christopher Daniels with Allison Danger

The War Rages On

Jim Cornette will lead a ROH army(Ace Steel already named) vs. Necro Butcher, Super Dragon & Claudio Castagnoli

Special Challenge Match

Jimmy Rave vs. Delirious

High-Flyers Tag Team Match

Irish Airborne vs. Jay Fury & Spud

Bonus Attraction Match

Colt Cabana vs. Jimmy Jacobs with Lacey

Also Scheduled: BJ Whitmer, Adam Pearce, Chad Collyer and more!!!

-

This is the first night of a pretty action packed weekend in Ohio (which I'll attend each shows). Cornette is also making a "big" announcment (likely to announce his departure from ROH due to his injury and potential return to OVW). This show still seems like the set-up to the even bigger show saturday night in Cleveland.

I'll probably have a full report friday night when I return from the show.

Back at Dragon Gate, I would presume

Indeed. Jack's touring full-time with DG for at least another month or two; he's even in the new version of Blood Generation (there was a split between CIMA's guys and Doi's sort of youngblood group, with CIMA turning BloodGen into a face group as a result whilst Doi is leading a new rudo faction).

Back at Dragon Gate, I would presume

Indeed. Jack's touring full-time with DG for at least another month or two; he's even in the new version of Blood Generation (there was a split between CIMA's guys and Doi's sort of youngblood group, with CIMA turning BloodGen into a face group as a result whilst Doi is leading a new rudo faction).

DG, is getting another dosage of Gen Next as Sydal is coming over for a tour for 3 months.

My live review...

All right, here's a quicky review since Im coming down with something and I don't think I can stomach a full detailed report.

Crowd: I would estimate a low 450-high 550 but I wouldn't dare estimate anything around 600.

Pre-show: Opened with a six-man match that was pretty meh,Trik Davis went over. Collyer worked a good solid 6-8 minute match with Dempsey and got the victory. Crowd was half-way into the match.

Opening Match

COLT VS JIMMY!

Colt, was quite over with the crowd and it was a fresh sight to see him happy again (boy, would that change later). Jacobs, came out to a good ovation as the crowd got into the Lacey Ballad. A Pretty short comedy opener, as expected from these two. A few cute spots involving Lacey(who looked superb), I couldn't tell you how the match finished because I forgot it but I know Colt won and Lacey's tantrum was enjoyable. It wasn't a great match by any means but it served to entertain the crowd and warm them up, as the standard goes for a opener.

Cornette, came out on crutches and cut a excellent promo with Ace Steel with a flood of brilliant one-liners and good scathing insults for Claudio. Cornette asked Colt to join Ace against CZW. Colt, turned it down saying he wants to focus on wrestling. A ROH chant and another plea from Cornette, changed Colt's mind and he agreed.

Irish Airborne Vs Jay Fury and Spud.

Spud, looks like a 10 year old to say the least and I don't think the crowd really got into him at all. Despite the fact IA were playing heels, they were the home crowd favorites. The match was short and didn't offer much as far as wrestling match was concerned. It was more of a display of stunts, which is expected when it's billed as a High-Flyer match. Even then, the high-flying was seemingly toned down save for a really scary looking SSP from Fury that came inches from completely missing. IA got the win over Fury via their Suicide finisher.

Jimmy Rave Vs Delirious

Rave, with Daizee but no Nana was still very much over as the TP parade seemingly lasted a good 5 minutes before it died down. Delirious was over with the crowd and was playing off his hand injury from last week as he had it bandaged up. The first few minutes, was standard Rave who stalled while Delirious looked on in confusion. Finally the match got rolling around the 8-10 minute mark as Rave was a pretty good dick here. The crowd was slowly really getting into it when they called for the time-limit draw @ 15 minutes which really pissed off the crowd. Awkward booking.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Deliriou doing a Randy Johnson on Daizee. Delirious grabbed a roll of TP and after the lights turned back, he NAILED Daizee right in the ****ing face and Daizee was clearly pissed off.

-I believe it was here that Super Dragon "attacked" a fan-

Pure Title Match

Christopher Daniels, is so over in Dayton it's scary. Allison Danger, was absent which always sucks. Nigel, via the home crowd was over as well despite being a complete heel. Nigel, completely mocked Danielson's "I GOT TIL 5!" routine. The match took a little bit of time to warm up but it got there and again, they pulled it from the rug as they had another questionable booking move by having Nigel pull MK into a charging Daniels to get the count-out victory. Crowd wasn't pleased with the finish.

Whitmer, cut a quick and passionate promo but it's interupted by Claudio who brawls with him.

Inter-Mission (I grabbed the AW and 4YA shows, as well as a couple SS's).

It was around here, I started feeling sickly. I missed the Flash match as I returned at the very end of the match and I never caught the other guys name as well.

WORLD TITLE MATCH

Look, Danielson can have a good match with anyone. Yang, was on tonight for the most part but this was all Danielson. (I don't mean he carried Yang, but he was the match). Alot of hot near-falls, almost had the crowd buying that Yang had a legit chance. Alot of interesting stuff to watch out for when it comes out. Yang had a few good ???? here that was nice to see in a Danielson match again. A hot finish really elevated this match.

TAG TEAM TITLES

Okay, I guess Joe is now a member of Gen Next. As all four men wore Black and Blue. This was really good, I didn't really realize how great it was while it was unfolding inf front of me. Match went about 20 and Joe was in for about 5 minutes. Sydal, completely Morton'd this match and it was great. I liked the subtle "why did i pick this guy?" faces Joe made waiting for Sydal to make a tag. Gen Next was great at Isolating Sydal and keeping Joe away. This had a fantastic hot finish that had the crowd insane, with alot of close calls that had people thinking title change right there. Excellent Tag match.

The Brawl

Joe, called out CZW to start the brawl. Necro emerges from the crowd and they go at while the crowd goes BONKERS. A quicky brawl is stopped when CZW runs out but ROH evens the odds. Joe is quickly taking out of the match as Necro takes him to the back and Joe doesn't return for the night but CC

HOLY SWEET JESUS. This was insane to follow and I basically decided to just watch what was nearby. I know I probably missed a few things. There were alot of really crazy stuff happening, alot of good stuff with Whitmer and Dragon teasing a repeat of last week. Cabana took a SICK neseta bump that completely took him out of the match for good. Whitmer, was a pool of blood. A really sick finish with Dragon stomping Whitmer's head through the chair. Nasty stuff. CZW scoring the pinfall completely silenced the crowd as they all walked off quietly into the night.

-

Over-All

It wasn't the greatest show ever but it wasn't the worst. Two questionable finishes and a completely dehumanizing finish won't help the sentiment but The Tag title, world and main event completely delivered. MOTN was easily the Tag Title match, hands down. MOMENT OF THE NIGHT was probably Cabana's bump.

I was at this show, and despite the amazing RoH Title and Tag Title matches, I left with a very bad taste in my mouth. Why?

1. They stopped me at the door and made me take my didgital camera back to my car. I don't care if it is becuase I can take shitty little movies with it, it was stupid and put me in a bad mood right off the bat. Meanwhile, they frisked my friend to make sure he wasn't packing or, god forbid, carrying a digital camera.

2. The ticket guy was rude as hell.

3. My wife often declines to go to wrestling or rock shows with the phrase, "It's not the event, it's the genetic defectives in the audience." I usually chuckle because I know she is exagerating. But this time, she was dead on. The entire group of numb-nuts sitting behind and around us made the show almost unbearable to watch. It's like they thought they were the entertainment, not the wrestling. If they shut up for more than a minute during the entire show with their lame-ass "kick him in the taint" and "Super D!" screams, I'd be shocked. Them alone nearly ruined the show for me.

4. Shitty finishes for two matches I was enjoying. As Hawk said above, they pulled a time limit on the Rave/Delirious match, then followed it up by pulling a count out on the McGuinnes/Daniels match. Pissed me off.

5. The final brawl was fun to a point, but it crossed a line for me into "Shit, I hope someone doesn't get hurt" and "Shit, I hope the numb-nuts behind us don't start a riot" territory. Not to mention it ended with an injury angle to Whitmer that was the sickest bump I have ever seen in person. Just made me very uncomfortable.

6. They announced the end of the show and told usto get out. Ok, no biggie, my friend (who, by virtue of being a good looking woman did not have her film camera even glanced at, nor her purse searched) was taking a picture of the carnage around the ring and we were picking up our empty soda and water bottles. The fat-ass security guy starting wazing at us and telling us to move it. OK, no biggie, we were going anyway. But I guess we didn't sprint to the exit like he wanted so he told us to, and I quote, "Hurry up and get the fuck out." Well, you know, I can only move as fast as the herd in front of me moves. He badgered us until we were out the front doors.

So, there it is. I've been to the last two RoH shows in Dayton and really enjoyed them, but I think I'm done with them. I can't stand the way they treat their fans and I don't want to give them any more of my money.

1. The ticket clearly states no digital photography allowed.

2. The ticket guy (I assume you mean the guy who takes the ticket) is just the same as most security guard @ any venue. If you meant Mike(guy at the booth) he's a good guy. Must been a bad timing.

3. Idiots attend every sporting event, not just ROH shows.

4. The Count-out made better sense after what happened in Cleveland, so it was all a storyline progression. The time-limit was just pointless as if the match wasn't average enough. When the highlight of the match occurs before the bell rings, thats not a good sign.

5. It was supposed to be uncomfortable finish. CZW silenced the ROH crowd again and the injury angle was designed to make fans leave thinking "damn, they really did a number on Whitmer"...which was building to the next show where Whitmer got his revenge on Super Dragon.

6. The reason they rushed everyone out is because they have a midnight curfew and I recall the show ending @ 11:40 and they had to start tearing down the ring to pack up for Cleveland. It also was to sell the Whitmer injury.

To respond:

1. I didn't buy a ticket in advance, so I had no idea digital cameras weren't allowed. Why is that? Is it the movies thing?

2. The guy at the booth. I just wanted a GA ticket and we ended up buying floor seats and he was kind of rude about it. We didn't want floor seats because on of our party is a 5'2 woman who can't see over people when we are on the floor. We ended up abandoning our floor seats and sitting in the bleachers anyway.

3. Yeah, but the proportion of idiots at the RoH shows I've been to is so high you don't have any chance of getting away from them. Not so in any other event I've ever been to.

4. The count-out made sense only if you drove to Cleveland to see how it played out? Well then I guess that makes my $20 a waste then because I won't drive 4.5 hours to see the show. That just annoys me but I guess it is something you have to live with to follow RoH.

5. Again though, I didn't get to see his revenge on Dragon. My last imprssion of the entire show was "RoH got their asses kicked by these guys all night long." I don't know. It just wasn't the best impression to leave a crowd with I guess.

6. That's fine, but the guy acted like an ass to us about it, like we were purposefully trying to hang around and be a problem. I think the "Get the fuck out" was a little uncalled for, frankly.

1. Digital Cameras aren't allowed because of the same reasons concert venues don't allow them. It's pretty standard.

2. That would be Mike and that is uncharacteristic of him. He's always been a big help for me, he took my 3rd row seat in January's Cleveland when I asked if I could exchange them for two GA seats for Cleveland and he just gave me 2 extra front row seat free of charge. That's the kind of guy he is.

3. Just depends where you sit really. I sat in a area with quiet and knowledable fans who didn't detract from my enjoyment.

4. ROH is a touring promotion that is a video dependent promotion, every show is meant to transistion to the next. What happened in Cleveland will build for 5/12 and 5/13 in LI and NJ.

5. Of course it wasn't the best impression to leave, and I criticized them for it, saying they had an awkward booking pattern by having the CZW team go over in the closer for Dayton but had ROH go over in the mid-card in Cleveland. Whitmer getting his revenge on Dragon could have closed Cleveland, since AmDragon/Nigel was a CO finish. The tag match should have closed Dayton, not Cleveland. The Brawl in Dayton, should been mid-card as it was for Cleveland.

6. Like you said, there are alot of idiots. So he was probably pissed off enough and just was a little rough.

That seems fair. The whole night seemed a little out-of-character for RoH from the minute we stepped in the door. I don't know if I'll go back and see them in July (I had enough of the sweatbox feel back at Redemption in August) but I won't hold the last show against them.

And man, tell me where you sat because I keep finding the bad parts of the crowd. ;)

Man, the OVEN as Dayton is lovingly refered to as is a part of the charm. The heat(from the crowd and the weather) is a key part of why Redemption was so great.

I sat in section C by the soundboard and it was pretty quiet in our area and thats where a good chunk of the brawling occured as well.

I think WOCN1 just suffered from not having all the talent available (Shelley and Sabin for instance) and coming off a incredible streak of shows from 3/11 to 4/22. They had to let down a little bit, Dayton just happened to be in line.

The Oven? Well that is certainly an appropriate nickname. We'll have to get there earlier next time and grab some GA seats over on that side of the ring. I've always been on the opposite side, and Friday I was directly across from the soundboard on the bleachers next to the stage.

Thanks for the comments Hawk, I feel better about the show than I did all weekend. I was disappointed because of how good the two previous shows were.

I'm blown that someone who lives near such a popular ROH venue as Dayton OH would actually decide NOT to go a show.

You're spoiled, man.

Spoiled? I don't know. I don;t really have the cash to keep up with what is happening in RoH, so half of the time at the shows I don't know why something is happening. As far as deciding to go or not, well, sometimes I just have better things to spend the $20 on.

Not enough money? All you have to do is read their news, etc. I've never been to a show and I don't have any DVDs, and I atleast have a general idea what the storylines are.

Does ANYONE know if they're coming back Maryland way again?

I'm at work and can't really go to ROHWrestling.com...

Does ANYONE know if they're coming back Maryland way again?

I'm at work and can't really go to ROHWrestling.com...

No, they have no plans to return to Maryland. ROH tour stops are NYC/LI/NJ/CT/Dayton/Cleveland/Chicago/Detroit/St.Paul/Phily and over this summer, the UK as well. They mentioned adding new markets early this year but aside from the return to St. Paul, they haven't announced new markets yet or even indicated they are going to at all.

Maryland is a pain in the ass as far as the commission is concerned and I'm not sure if gabe or cary have a license in Maryland anyways.

Well, frankly, up to the last show here in Dayton, it wasn't a big issue. Either I just didn't care about storylines or they did a pretty good job explaining what was going on and wrapping it up in a way that seemed satisfactory. I don;t know about you, but I don't like any wrestling enough to read results on the Internet on a regular basis. I'd much rather watch shows.