TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

"Revolution" officially named

I don't get how people in charge of making mutli-billion dollar decisions can come up with stuff like this. I mean, they must have carefully considered this, compared it with alternatives, weighed the pros and cons of the name, and yet they decided that the best possible name for their new system is "Wii". Strange.

I get what they're going for...the two "i" represent the controllers, and they're trying to emphasize this as a multi-player console. But, I can't imagine anyone saying "Let's play some Wii!"

Captain Pun-ishment needs to fly to Japan and kick somebody's face in.

Worst console name, ever. Even worse than just being numbers (see; Atari 2600, etc.).

I was expecting something 1 syllable ever since I heard the rumor about the "Go" name, but Apple doesn't call their little MP3 player the iPuu.

Maybe it's not supposed to be pronounced "we", but "why", since it could be some play off of the consoles wifi capabilities? Or maybe you're just supposed to be asking yourself "Wii would I buy this?"

Guest Princess Leena

I'm expecting some crappy commercials with Michelle Wie now.

To be honest, I think Nintendo simply disregarded English terminolgy in selecting this name. I doubt Wii has anything sort of negative meaning in the Japanese language, so the Big N must have decided that the name was good enough for the rest of the world, too.

Maybe this is Nintendo's attempt at relieving itself of American console sales once and for all. Oh well, I'll still buy one.

This hasn't changed my decision in buying the console. After playing XBOX 360, it's pretty much the same boring experience I had with XBOX and PS2. At least this system will have a whole new way to play.

Suddenly, Muggy's custom title has alot more relevancy.

I'll only forgive this if there's a string of killer apps within the first year of launch. Even then, what the fuck is with "Wii"?

Should call it "Wuu" and sign Ric Flair up as a spokesperson. A Japanese video game commercial with Ric Flair in it is almost a guaranteed classic.

To be fair, I'll do what I did with the N64 and just call it Nintendo. Others will follow suit.

Guest OSIcon

Like I said in the other thread, I kind of like the name in the usual quirky Nintendo way. Than again, I was buying the system anyway so my opinion might not matter much.

The one thing I don't get is stuff like this....

You know, I was pretty interested in picking up a Revolution, but I can't see myself buying something called 'Wii'.

I can't imagine not buying something or playing something JUST because of the name. If you were going to play it before, does a name change really make that much of a negative difference?

When I pre-order the system, I'm going to say "I would like to pre-order the WHEEEEEEEEEE"