TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

"Revolution" officially named

Yeah, or it might be like the stylus. We really have no idea.

Well, the difference between the DS and the Virtual Boy is the game library. The VB had virtually nothing of worth, while the DS has a pretty stacked library, including many titles that actually put the stylus to work.

If the Wii comes along with titles that really take advantage of the innovative control system, then we're looking at a contender, silly name or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATRAC3 Wikipedia is never wrong...

What the heck is that supposed to prove..Sony's digital music format is inferior to MP3 and yet they up until recently continued to push it on all of their digital music players as the only format option..including that dumb bean shaped one that I forgot to mention that Sony pulled the plug on.

Well, the difference between the DS and the Virtual Boy is the game library. The VB had virtually nothing of worth, while the DS has a pretty stacked library, including many titles that actually put the stylus to work.

If the Wii comes along with titles that really take advantage of the innovative control system, then we're looking at a contender, silly name or not.

The VB's problem was that you can't expect people to play with something that straps to your face with a tripod on it. Plus, that system never looked quite 'portable'.

The VB's problem was that you can't expect people to play with something that straps to your face with a tripod on it. Plus, that system never looked quite 'portable'.

Point taken - the product design is probably the worst thing that Nintendo has ever committed to production. I guess my point is that, even if the hardware is a little bit quirky (like the DS design), the software can and will determine the ultimate success of the platform.

I still don't understand what you mean by saying the DS isn't a palm pilot.

Are you implying that the DS is not a success?

Nintendo should just market to the kiddies and forget the adult market. As for Apple well I can see them buying out NGAGE and making it into another sexy hip must have toy for the early adaptors.

The "kiddies", at least NA ones, prefer GTA to Nintendo franchises. I base this on solid empirical data which basically consists of me seeing snot-nosed little brat bastards bitching for "Gwan Teft Otto" in game stores all the time.

The average age of GC owners are early 20's, with PS2 about midrange and X-Box near the higher range.

Sega had several failed *consoles*, that's the problem.

In the grand scheme of things, the Activator is no worse than the U-Force or Power Glove.

However, the 32X, Sega CD, and the poor handling of Saturn eroded Sega's rep to the point where a good console was doomed fairly quickly (Dreamcast).

Back in the 90's the industry had a big hard on for numerous use of the CD medium SEGA, Panosonic/Goldstar, 3DO, etc. thought it was a good idea to make "interactive games" i.e. glorified point and click movies that had no repeat value. This killed the consoles since nobody wanted to pay $$$ for software that was better suited for PCs at the time. Nintendo is on a similar path with the nunchuck controller, download games, and its revolutionary concepts that the general public will refuse to pay $$$ for.

CD drives were way expensive back then. Plus the quality and the loading times of those games were awful. Nintendo is promising a cheap system with backwards compatability. I think a lot of people may buy it because of the retro games, which is horrible, because this system should be about the new games.

Retro games is this gens gimmick for portables and made GBA the #1 selling system for the big N but I don't see alot of people dying to pay $$$ for the same games just because it has new revolutionary controls or that highscores can be posted on the internet.

"Glorified point and click" games would be better than much of the trash Digital Pictures and Sega produced.

Adventure games, a fine immersive detective game...those have redeeming value.

However...SEWER SHARK?! Having that as a pack in was like twisting the knife.

"Congratulations on your purchase of the Sega CD. Here's one of the worst ****ing games of all time. Enjoy!"

Zipping through a nasty, FMV pipe shooting nasty FMV rats while nasty FMV actors choke through bad dialogue...next level, indeed.

The Wii is getting NFL Blitz 2007 even though Midway didn't release it on the Gamecube this go round because of the whole kiddie argument..

So theres your first football game on the Wii..I doubt Midway will go to the trouble of setting the control scheme up though..

Nintendo is on a similar path with the nunchuck controller, download games, and its revolutionary concepts that the general public will refuse to pay $$$ for.

Revolutionary concepts like the DS's touch pad. The DS has sold like a kazillion units. I'm sure someone smarter than I can pull numbers. Get the Japan numbers, too.

This is just an example of the DS ownage in Japan, taken from the week 3/20-3/26

Software:

01. PS2 - Final Fantasy XII (Square-Enix): 237,678 (2,001,944)

02. NDS - Pokemon Ranger: Diamond & Pearl e-no Michi (Nintendo): 193,337 (*NEW*)

03. PS2 - Ace Combat Zero: The Belkin War (Namco): 109,100 (*NEW*)

04. NDS - Oideyo Dobutsu no Mori/Animal Crossing DS (Nintendo): 82,797 (2,270,601)

05. NDS - Motto Otona no DS Training/Brain Training 2 (Nintendo): 76,911 (1,648,640)

06. PS2 - Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires (Koei): 54,360 (*NEW*)

07. NDS - Eigo Zuke/English Training (Nintendo): 46,411 (703,156)

08. NDS - Otona no DS Training/Brain Training (Nintendo): 46,223 (1,768,819)

09. PS2 - Harukanaru Jikuu no Uchi de 3 (Koei): 45,636 (*NEW*)

10. NDS - Mario Kart DS (Nintendo): 21,691 (1,210,800)

Hardware:

DSL: 119,986 (382,666)

NDS: 39,307 (591,952)

PS2: 34,169 (414,608)

PSP: 31,077 (515,550)

GBASP: 5,627 (82,499)

GBM: 4,883 (52,907)

GCN: 1,458 (39,853)

360: 1,415 (30,164)

XBX: 108 (1,204)

GBA: 98 (2,089)

Nintendo DS (both): 159,293

Other systems: 78,835

78,835 * 2 = 157,670

The DS sold more than TWICE all other systems combined that week.

Nintendo announced today that the DS Lite ships June 11th in the Americas, and will be for a MSRP of $129.99.

Sorry, Anya, no pink, just white initially.

They need to allow special ordering if you want different colors, with the option of personalization. I'd love an emerald green DS Lite with my name on it.

In Japan they have white, navy, and ice blue. Not sure about any others.

EDIT: These are obviously fake, but if only...

http://ryle.the.forest.free.fr/ds_lite/ds_lite_pink.jpg

http://ryle.the.forest.free.fr/ds_lite/ds_lite_green.jpg

Nintendo is on a similar path with the nunchuck controller, download games, and its revolutionary concepts that the general public will refuse to pay $$$ for.

Revolutionary concepts like the DS's touch pad. The DS has sold like a kazillion units. I'm sure someone smarter than I can pull numbers. Get the Japan numbers, too.

patton0rv.gif

whoopty flippy do! The kiddies had to get a new system to play Pokemon....DS Lite Black I choose you!