TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

How far is too far?

I was at a indy show the other night and there were several times where the fans "got involved" with the wrestlers and vice-versa. A wrestler came out with a water bottle and poured it on fans, spat on them, took a guys hat and threw it away. The fans spat and threw water back, in kind, obviously very angry. There were other incidents of wrestlers pushing fans as well. Chris Hero punched a guy in the face and busted up the fans nose and that fan and his friend were about to kill Hero before security got in and took the two guys out. Needless to say, it was awesome and everyone was buzzing, and lots of people from that show are acting indignant and saying "YOU DO NOT TOUCH PROFESSIONAL WRESTLERS!" and whatnot.

So whaddya say? Where do you lean? Are you with the "fans are there to see the performers perform" side, or are you more along the "alls fair in love and work". Or is there a middle-ground?

There is obviously a fine line and this was a subject that got alot of debate, when Samoa Joe chased down a fan and got involved in a confrontation with him (which alot of reports wern found to be overblown). I'm all for wrestlers/fans jawing, because that is a part of the whole thing.

I think fans get caught up into the act and convince themselves, they are a part of the show.

Wrestlers and fans should have NO physical contact whatsoever (except for stuff like the babyfaces shaking people's hands). It's dangerous, unethical, and in fact quite illegal.

I think you'll see how far is to far when one day Chris Hero, Samoa Joe, or any other wrestler decide to work or remove a fan and have themselves a nice little fight on their hands. Not every wrestling fan in the world is a wimp who can't defend his or herself.

I quite honestly think that slightly contact such as pushing from a wrestler should be allowed, maybe even a slight slap...but I also feel if they take that liberty they should be willing to get whatever happens in return.

Yes and no to the above comment. If you, say, throw a cup of beer at a wrestler, pissing him off enough to the point where hes mad enough to fight you, how is that fair to the other paying fans in attendance, who just want to watch a show? This is especially true at indy shows, where he other guy waiting in the ring may have a chance to make a big splash blown.

A lot of this thread will depend on circumstance. We could agree that say, a pat on the back is good, but there's always going to be that one crazy fan.

There is obviously a fine line and this was a subject that got alot of debate, when Samoa Joe chased down a fan and got involved in a confrontation with him (which alot of reports wern found to be overblown).

Funny thing is, that fan, "Mike on Crack", was at last night's UWA show. He hopped a barricade to fight Josh Prohibition.

Fans should be allowed to cheer or boo the wrestlers they want to cheer or boo. IF the wrestlers have a problem with being ridden...tough, that's what you sign up for.

However, the fans and wrestlers can't get physical. There is no excuse for it, period.

The fan and his asshole entourage hit Hero in the back. Maybe you should let everyone know that before starting a topic about wrestlers and how far things go in entertainment, when they are ASSAULTED by customers.

No physical things should be happening between audience and wrestler that are of a "heel nature". No spitting water on people to piss them off. Not taking their stuff.

In the same way stupid fans shouldnt take the initiative to go into the ring to beat the wrestlers up. If that happens I think its quite alright for the wrestlers if they give the fan a real beating.

I can confirm or deny what the guys did to Hero because I didn't see it. I did see Hero sucker punch a dude in the face, however.

Here is something that bothers me, some promotions such as ROH (as I witnessed this friday) will have staged fights between fans and workers. Such as when Super Dragon "attacked" a fan(plant). Of course, this will make the dvd release and it'll inspire fans to go "hmm, I could take Super Dragon" and the next time ROH or Dragon is in town, they think it's okay to go after the guy.

I know Dragon makes a living off assaulting fans but when promotions encourage it, it's not good.

It's fine for fans to jaw back and forth, I've had tons of ROH wrestlers get in my face and curse at me and I yell back. I've even had Homicide take my hat.

But I do it not expecting the wrestlers to touch me and I don't go after them

Buh Buh Ray once chucked my buddy's cap into the crowd. I thought that was pretty rotten but I think my friend found it to be kinda cool that he could 'enrage' a worker so much to get him to throw his hat into the crowd. If it was me, I'd just be pissed about losing my cap.

I remember that one time a fan attacked Raven on Nitro. I'm not sure if it was a real fan or not, but I do remember security tackling his ass ASAP. I think they worked it into the "Kanyon stalking Raven" angle in 98. I'm not sure if the actual incident was Kanyon just doing it as part of the story since I haven't seen it since then.

Anyway, verbal is fine, but no throwing shit or no spitting. And if a wrestler shoves me or whatever physically manner, I don't give a shit if I get my ass kicked, I'm going down swinging.

I remember that one time a fan attacked Raven on Nitro. I'm not sure if it was a real fan or not, but I do remember security tackling his ass ASAP. I think they worked it into the "Kanyon stalking Raven" angle in 98. I'm not sure if the actual incident was Kanyon just doing it as part of the story since I haven't seen it since then.

Anyway, verbal is fine, but no throwing shit or no spitting. And if a wrestler shoves me or whatever physically manner, I don't give a shit if I get my ass kicked, I'm going down swinging.

It was on Thunder, and it was hilarious. Raven's slouching in the corner, cutting his usual depressed promo, when all of a sudden some nut runs up behind him (from outside of the ring) and pulls his hair. Security tackles him immediately, and Raven just gives this, "What the fuck?" look and then continues on with the promo.

A wrestler and fan talking trash back and forth to eachother is perfectly acceptable, but I don't think there should be any physicality involved.

Agreed.

Just to be clear, Hero punching a fan is pretty out of character.

ROH stepped over the line with the first staged fan riot involving Homicide and crew. Soured me on ROH for a long time. Works like that always suck. Fan interaction is good so long as it's in good fun. Wrestlers mocking people is all good. Wrestlers touching fans shouldn't be completely taboo (hell, Delirious 'mistaking' fans for CM Punk and 'choking' them out is one of the funniest things I've seen in wrestling), so long as it's all in good humour.

This was a sore spot for me a few years back. I was second row at a show a few years ago and two guys named Jamie Coxxx and Gavin Starr were doing a "heel tag team breakup" angle and trying to get at each other at ringside. So, me being a smartass, start saying "Chickfight, chickfight".

Coxxx walks over to me.....keep in mind that I'm still seated and in no way in any physically confrontational presence to him......and asks me to repeat what I said. So I do. He paintbrushes me across the face and then security gets in between us.He didn't hit me hard enough to hurt me but the fact that the guy slapped me with no physical justification shocked me.

Then a debate began on their board about it a few days later about it. See, this promotion runs their shows in the back of a bar in suburban Detroit and our point was that a) wrestlers shouldn't be hitting fans who aren't physically threatening to them and b) being in a bar, who knows if the fan is gonna be some drunk with a knife or a gun and get pissed off for getting hit. Basically , we were told that if we didn't like it,we could stop coming to the shows. Great business strategy from a promotion that draws maybe 50 people a show for something like 4 years running and looks like that they are holding illegal dog fights in the back of some dirty club. (That was the first impression I had when I walked into their show for the first time) That and a good portion of the crowd is related to the promoter so I doubt they are actually paying customers.

Then apparently they made it part of his gimmick or something because I know he did the same thing to someone else the very next show and possibly the show after.

^^^

Now thats retarded. I've seen Jamie Coxxx on a JCW tape. He is a skinny bitch. You should wait outside for him the next time they have a show.

Over the week or so I've changed my opinion. Fans nor wrestlers should touch each other, but under the pretense of rules are made to be broken. If it's in good fun, yes. If it's in defense(fan or wrestler) yes. So basically I think it should be just like it would be on the street if some guy busted you in the nose randomly.

But the laws in Japan back twenty years ago are quite different from American laws now. All it would take to completely bankrupt a promotion like ROH is just one stupid incident of a wrestler hitting a fan, one good civil trial lawyer, and one sympathetic judge. These promotions are seriously risking their future whenever shit like this is pulled.