TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

MLB All-Star Voting...

Yeah, it is only April, but I still voted.

AL:

First Base: Ortiz, D., BOS

Second Base: Roberts, B., Bal

Third Base: Lowell, M., BOS

Shortstop: Young, M., TEX

Catcher: Varitek, J., BOS

Outfielder: Crisp, C., BOS

Outfielder: Ramirez, M., BOS

Outfielder: Suzuki, I., SEA

First Base: Garciaparra, N., LAD

Second Base: Biggio, C., HOU

Third Base: Mueller, B., LAD

Shortstop: Ramirez, H., FLA

Catcher: Estrada, J., ARI

Outfielder: Griffey Jr., K., CIN

Outfielder: Roberts, D., SD

Outfielder: Soriano, A., WAS

Hmmmm. No obvious biases in Mole's worthless ballot. He can't even vote right.

Anyway, how about we wait until the end of May, or once we've really played a majority of the season before figuring out who gets game 163? You know, reward consistency instead of just the best April.

Yeah, it's waaaaaay too early for this. They're basically begging people to stuff the ballot boxes.

Crisp has played what? 5 games? Lowell is Kevin Millar with shorter hair and a different position. Why not write Loretta in just to make it even more obvious that you're a fucking asshole?

Hmmmm. No obvious biases in Mole's worthless ballot. He can't even vote right.

Yeah, since I won't vote for my team.

Crisp has played what? 5 games? Lowell is Kevin Millar with shorter hair and a different position. Why not write Loretta in just to make it even more obvious that you're a fucking asshole?

Now that I think about it, I shouldn't have voted for CoCo, but, whatever.

Millar and Lowell? What are you talking about? Lowell is ten times better than Millar. Plus, I'm a huge fan of Lowell and A-Rod or Glaus aren't getting my vote.

So you perfer to be a homer despite them not being worthy of the spot. Explain the Griffey selection, as he played 2 weeks this season and will probably be injured by ASG anyways (same with Nomar) Please, you are blatant homer and pick the "names". The problem is, a large % of the voters follow the same formula as you.

Nomar over Pujols proves you're a fucking moron. Thankfully not all Red Sox fans are like you.

I probably should have voted for Shelton, Jeter, Wells, Pujos etc.

Who gives a shit if I'm a homer? That is my team, so I'll vote for them.

Meh, I just voted like I voted last year...all Astros. That doesn't make me a homer. That just makes me good at evaluating talent, as everyone in the Astros starting line-up is deserving of starting in the All-Star game. And Phil Garner's managing it, so I think it would be great to have an all 'Stro lineup. Yeah...

Seriously though, Morgan Ensberg deserves to be on the All-Star team. Berkman deserves to be there, but he's not gonna beat out Pujols for the start. Biggio, meh, but what other really standout second basemen are in the NL, besides Jeff Kent-former Astro? Hell, I think Adam Everett totally deserves to be an All-Star...and he deserved the Gold Gloves this year. He's the best defensive shortstop in the N.L.

Meh, I just voted like I voted last year...all Astros. That doesn't make me a homer. That just makes me good at evaluating talent, as everyone in the Astros starting line-up is deserving of starting in the All-Star game. And Phil Garner's managing it, so I think it would be great to have an all 'Stro lineup. Yeah...

Seriously though, Morgan Ensberg deserves to be on the All-Star team. Berkman deserves to be there, but he's not gonna beat out Pujols for the start. Biggio, meh, but what other really standout second basemen are in the NL, besides Jeff Kent-former Astro? Hell, I think Adam Everett totally deserves to be an All-Star...and he deserved the Gold Gloves this year. He's the best defensive shortstop in the N.L.

Khalil Greene.

Brandon Phillips? I mean, the idea is supposedly THIS season's best players. Phillips, has had a pretty good season thus far. Im not saying he should start or even make the team but he's another NL 2B, having a good season thus far.

Well, I coulda said Omar Vizquel...

But, seriously...uh....in the new book The Fielding Bible by...some guy, it was said that Adam Everett is statistically the best defensive shortstop in baseball over the last...3 or 4 years. Quick! Someone do a conclusive statistical analysis!

Yeah, forgot about Phillips. He's on my fantasy team. He's looked good for the week or so he's been up.

And just having done a quick look at baseballreference.com, I see that in 2004 Khalil Greene made 20 errors in 136 games, while Adam Everett made 10 errors in 99 games (he broke his arm in like...June, I think). In 2005, Greene made 14 errors in 121 games, and Everett made 14 errors in 150 games. Take that for what it's worth. I'm sure someone, somewhere has more access to better quality research and can provide a conclusive answer.

I don't know why the set the All-Star Game ballot before the season even starts. They left Nick Swisher off the ballot, not that he'd get voted a starter and not that I'm certain he'll hit like Lance Berkman all season but if they'd actually bothered to check the A's depth chart they would have known he'd be an everyday player. Rocco Baldelli is on the ballot for crying out loud.

Just noticed they stuck David Ortiz and Travis Hafner on the ballot under first base since there's no DH. I'd say Ortiz will probably be voted the starter.

Anyways here's April's All-Stars, completely meaningless picks, for players actually on the ballot, and I'm not actually voting.

A.L.

C: Victor Martinez

1B: Chris Shelton

2B: Brian Roberts

3B: Eric Chavez

SS: Miguel Tejada

OF: Vernon Wells, Jermaine Dye, Garret Anderson

N.L.

C: Brad Ausmus (yup he'll have a near .500 OBP all year)

1B: Albert Pujols

2B: Jose Vidro

3B: Morgan Ensberg

SS: Omar Vizquel

OF: Carlos Lee, Andruw Jones, Adam Dunn

The catcher position in the N.L. is just ugly. Piazza probably gets voted a starter again.

HAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHA

The correct answers are:

AL:

C - Martinez

1B - Hafner

2B - Roberts

SS - Jeter

3B - Chavez

OF - Guerrero, Sheffield, Wells

NL:

C- Barrett

1B - Pujols

2B - Freel

SS - Wilson

3B - Ensberg

OF - Dunn, Abreu, Lee

I just realized that when I mentioned good 2b in the NL, I forgot Chase Utley. I have a mancrush on Chase Utley...nothing sexual.

The correct answers are:

AL:

C - Martinez

1B - Hafner

2B - Roberts

SS - Jeter

3B - Chavez

OF - Guerrero, Sheffield, Wells

NL:

C- Barrett

1B - Pujols

2B - Freel

SS - Wilson

3B - Ensberg

OF - Dunn, Abreu, Lee

Correct answers? YEah, okay...

Anyone other than Pujols at 1B in the NL has to be considered a "wrong answer". He was considered the best player in baseball going into the season, and through April he's on pace for 96 homers. He hit more home runs than anyone has in April in the history of baseball. And he's not just swinging for the fences every time either as he has an OBP of .495.

Most important of all, he's carried the Cranky Old Men St. Louis Cardinals to one of the best records in the league.

OF - Dunn, Abreu, Lee

If "Lee" means "Carlos Lee", than yes. If "Derrek Lee", than no, as he's injured.

Guest Princess Leena

Yeah, it is only April, but I still voted.

1B: Jason Giambi, NYY

2B: Robinson Cano, NYY

SS: Alex Gonzalez, BOS (LOLLIPOPZ!)

3B: Alex Rodriguez, NYY

C: Jorge Posada, NYY

OF: Gary Sheffield, NYY

OF: Hideki Matsui, NYY

OF: Johnny Damon, NYY

Write-ins: Andy Phillips, NYY. Kelly Stinnett, NYY.

NL:

1B: Conor Jackson, ARI

2B: Orlando Hudson, ARI

SS: Craig Counsell, ARI

3B: Chad Tracy, ARI

C: Johnny Estrada, ARI

OF: Eric Byrnes, ARI

OF: Shawn Green, ARI

OF: Luis Gonzalez, ARI

Write-ins: Tony Clark, ARI. Chris Snyder, ARI.

Guest Felonies!

Why not write Jeter in just to make it even more obvious that you're a fucking asshole?

Guest Princess Leena

I wanted to vote A-Rod in at SS and 3B!!! but, the voting is FIXED!

Guest StylesMark

Leenas vote is the best, IMO.

Leave Mole alone. He voted the way 80% of the voters will....for THEIR guys.

Here's my opening ballot...

A.L.

1B: David Ortiz, Bos

2B: Placido Polanco, Det

SS: Miguel Tejada, Balt

3B: Alex Rodriguez, NYY

C: Victor Martinez, Cle

OF: Vladimir Guerrero, LAA

OF: Manny Ramirez, Bos

OF: Gary Sheffield, NYY

Most of these are self-explanatory. Placido Polanco nearly led the Majors in batting average last year. I'm weary about Brian Roberts being a one-year wonder, and Robinson Cano isn't quite established. I am VERY unsure about the pick, and might switch it to Luis Castillo if he's still hitting .330 or higher next month.

N.L.

1B: Albert Pujols, StL

2B: Chase Utley, Phi

SS: Rafael Furcal, LAD

3B: David Wright, NYM

C: Paul Lo Duca, NYM

OF: Jason Bay, Pit

OF: Bobby Abreu, Phi

OF: Brian Giles, SD

I do not look at current statistics when I fill out my ballot. A hot start might get my attention, but I am more concerned about what a player did in 2005 and to a lesser extent 2004. Now understand I am NOT advocating the election of washed up stars to the event. Rather, players should have established themselves as stars, and not just flashes in the pan. A player should have some name value, although that is not necessary. It helps in a case such as the NL catchers' spot where there are really no standouts.

Some fans fret about popular players being elected to the game. It is a small problem, but it is not really that big a deal. Any group of voters, be it fans, players, coaches or the media, are going to make some stupid decisions. The players voted some bad players as reserves. The coaches make bad votes on Gold Glove awards. The media makes bad MVP decisions. If we are going to see mistakes, I would rather see a bad choice that at least fans want to see.

The biggest problem the All-Star voting has is the outfielders. The AL's best three are Sheffield, Guerrero and Ramirez. That's an awful defense. It is about time MLB started separating the outfielders into three separate categories: left, center and right. The balloting should require a center fielder directly voted into the starting lineup on each side. After all, wouldn't it be silly to vote for four infielders and stuff Pujols, Helton, Howard and Delgado in? Of course.

I do find it interesting that Yanks, Sox, AND Mets fans were able to agree that Mole is retarded.

Yeah, I know!