TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Tino Standard

The OAO Raw Thread 5/1/06

I did appreciate that Kenny had no problem getting in Triple H's face.

I kinda dug that as well. Although, I'd have had the Kenny character act a little more passive at first and try to charm HHH into making a faster count rather than throwing a tantrum after every pin attempt.

Guest Fook_Theta
How much of the current audience even knows what D-X was?

90%+ know who DX was and watched during then. Supposely there's a few fans that started watching post WCW-closure but they're an extreme minority. Mainly women that were introduced to the product through their husbands.

I think we are in line more towards fun TV than another boom period. Creatively, they can get better, but for another boom period to happen, it needs to be with fresh stars. A boom period is not going to happen with guys from the past. They need to be new guys who are the happening thing right now. For all we know, we still may not have been introduced yet to the next breakout star/s who will lead the next boom, if there is one.

I think they are still testing the waters to see if a DX reunion would still work. They teased it just right so far that they can still pull back on it if the idea starts to get cold.

If they are going to have a DX reunion, then a slow build like this is the way to go, especially everything that HBK and HHH have been through together over the past few years.

Right now, for the first time in a long time, I feel like we have the correct pieces of the puzzle all spread out on the floor to lead to another sort of wrestling boom, and if not that then at least another period where we get back to having fun TV week after week. Unfortunately, it's up to Vince an co. to put all of those pieces together.

Ya, I was thinking the same thing.

I was EXTREMLY happy after Wrestlemania, cause the WWE looks like it's heading in the right direction. I think that your right about the wrestling boom again, and it's gonna be GREAT.

Though the show did have it's iffy moments, Raw was once again an entertaining show from top to bottom. 2006 has been a great year for Raw so far IMO, with pretty much a good show every week.

Remember what things were like in 2004 or even last year when WWE could NEVER string together two decent shows in a row?

The difference between now and then is that they have a clear direction on where to go. We are seeing a new WWE style coming through that is somewhat a blend of WWF Attitude and the 80s cartoon era. And I like it. A lot.

And if you don't... I've got two words for ya...... Joey Styles. Apparently the new ECW will cater more towards wrestling and less towards sports entertainment.

So everyone happy? In theory. We'll see how it goes, but these are interesting times again to be a wrestling fan, to be sure.

Guest Princess Leena

So, bringing back things that thrived in the 90s (DX and ECW) makes for the next wrestling boom?

Ok.

I will say this: The Styles promo was gold. It was nearly perfect. The only problem I had with it was that it was speaking directly to the smart fans. With the way he insulted the WWE and made the marks feel stupid for being marks told me that McMahon was only trying to outsmart the smarks. I’m surprised he got the pop that he did for that, esp. when he said that last part about where he all but called WWE fans stupid. I’m sure it had a lot to do with the marks thinking that the fanbase Styles was referring to didn’t include them. It was a perfect worked shoot. When fans (and not just smart ones) see the show behind the show, only good things can happen.

Yeah, they could do another invasion angle, but they need to show more worked shoots. The only way any invasion angle looks believable and not hokey (like the whole May 19th thing) is if it looks real and the fans are left to either guess whether it is real or not or wonder why McMahon allowed that in the script.

So, bringing back things that thrived in the 90s (DX and ECW) makes for the next wrestling boom?

Ok.

Yeah, I don't see it either.

I think new ideas would be the key but what do I know.

Well, we already have The Oddities back...sorta.

Old stars can help a wrestling boom, so don't be so quick to dismiss the idea of guys that have been around for a long time doing just that. Sure, the guy was totally different, but Hulk Hogan had a huge part in the wrestling boom of the mid-90's with the entire nWo angle. The key is to just not do the exact same angle again.

A DX vs. Vince feud, while it could be really entertaining, isn't going to start a boom, but DX could have a part in it, just like ECW could.

Well, we already have The Oddities back...sorta.

Old stars can help a wrestling boom, so don't be so quick to dismiss the idea of guys that have been around for a long time doing just that. Sure, the guy was totally different, but Hulk Hogan had a huge part in the wrestling boom of the mid-90's with the entire nWo angle. The key is to just not do the exact same angle again.

A DX vs. Vince feud, while it could be really entertaining, isn't going to start a boom, but DX could have a part in it, just like ECW could.

But part of the reason Hogan worked in helping WCW was because they were competition. What WCW was doing was a true alternative to what WWF was doing at the time. Now, WWE has no competition. A DX vs Vince feud can create a buzz amongst people who are already wrestling fans, but the casuals, who make up the prime reason for a boom period would see it and say, "been there, done that" as far as who is involved. A boom period isn't happening until the next wave of stars is ready to break through to the next level.

If you do bring back DX, let them be the old heel-ish DX. DX became lame after HBK left. Hell, I'll take the nWo HBK!

Hogan worked... because it was such a drastic character change that many people would never even think would be possible.

Sure... old guys can also help add to it... help create that spark of interest, but they also need some new guys that will keep people watching throughout the show. If they play their cards right... one of those guys can end up being Carlito.

Not as long as the Lungblower is a setup to the rollup with tights...

Any finisher can be pushed. A fucking elbow/knee drop is less intimidating then a lungblower.

If they play their cards right... one of those guys can end up being Carlito.

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually agree about Carlito now.

What I am unsure of is how exactly do they do this ECW angle past ONS? After that does ECW simply branch off and become a different entity or do they hang around on Raw and/or SD for an angle?

I still don't see the fuss in Carlito. Average mic skills, and he's decent in the ring at best, though he impressed the hell out of me in his tournament match with RVD when he used the springboard corkscrew death. If he truly is capable of more in the ring than what he's showing off, I would love to see it, and my opinion of him would probably change. He has the look of a heel, and IMO should've stayed one, mainly because he LOOKS like he would be a complete asshole.

What I am unsure of is how exactly do they do this ECW angle past ONS? After that does ECW simply branch off and become a different entity or do they hang around on Raw and/or SD for an angle?

They probably pretend like some network executive at UPN or USA liked the ppv so much they gave them a timeslot.

Or that the ECW guys liked working the ppv so much their quitting and joining ECW, which Paul Heyman some how aquires the rights to.

Not as long as the Lungblower is a setup to the rollup with tights...

Any finisher can be pushed. A fucking elbow/knee drop is less intimidating then a lungblower.

What I'm griping about is that Carlito doesn't even use the lungblower for his finisher, he still rolls up.

Someone suggested a scenario for RVD vs. Cena at One Night Stand that may very well take place. Since it's a WWE Title match, obviously a WWE referee will be appointed for the match. This will most likely be Raw's head referee, Mike Chioda. At some point in the match, Chioda gets knocked out and an ECW referee, either Jim Molineaux or John Finnegan, comes out and counts the 3 for RVD to win the WWE Title. Either after the match at the PPV or the next night on Raw, Vince McMahon comes out and declares the title change invalid since an ECW referee counted the pinfall, and gives the belt back to Cena. RVD says, "Fuck this," quits, and goes to ECW 4 life.

Someone suggested a scenario for RVD vs. Cena at One Night Stand that may very well take place. Since it's a WWE Title match, obviously a WWE referee will be appointed for the match. This will most likely be Raw's head referee, Mike Chioda. At some point in the match, Chioda gets knocked out and an ECW referee, either Jim Molineaux or John Finnegan, comes out and counts the 3 for RVD to win the WWE Title. Either after the match at the PPV or the next night on Raw, Vince McMahon comes out and declares the title change invalid since an ECW referee counted the pinfall, and gives the belt back to Cena. RVD says, "Fuck this," quits, and goes to ECW 4 life.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...............

This sounds familiar.......

Guest Coffey
What I'm griping about is that Carlito doesn't even use the lungblower for his finisher, he still rolls up.

The Backcracker ain't his finisher anyway, that Roll the Dice neckbreaker thing is.

He did it last week, though it was kind of in the middle of a huge brawl thing...so it didn't get alot of coverage.

Also... I thought about it today, and ALOT of things they did from step one in the show last night helped build toward the ending...

1. Vince's "God" egostroke.

2. The entire Vince/Candice thing...including the extra shot during the tag match (i think), which was PERFECT in a "Forklift" sort of way.

3. NO COACH. It doesn't seem a big deal, but Joey 'attacked' the WWE brand of announcing...which most people see as being JR/King. King was "playfully heelish" perfectly, because had Coach been there he would have had to play the heel against Joey, and that wouldn't have made Joey's explosion as good. He needed to have one single target, and with JR not there -- it had to be King. He would have gotten heat for going after Coach, but not the kind of heat that the segment needed.

4. The various mentions Styles makes of "smark" news during his interview capped it off nice while still playing the kayfabe side. Meaning, him bringing up his meetings with Vince about how he commentates, but then talking about how they "fired" JR.

Other things were good too, including Edge and the Squad mocking Joey when they could, which nobody has really done on screen before. I can sense next week's little Edge/Foley match might have more going on than we think, but we'll have to wait and see. It's fairly rare that a segment can be layered like that, setting up not only a match but also a completely "unrelated" storyline just because of a few randomly dropped sentences.

Did someone spike the WWE writer's water again?

I was just glad that last night's show had a decent build throughout and made some sense in the main event. You had the Kenny-Cena match announced at the start, the making of HBK as special referee of the Kane match (which played into him refereeing the main event), the meeting between Vince-HHH when Vince basically told HHH to screw off and decreasing HHH's effort as the referee of the main event, then the match itself followed by the DX tease and HBK coming down to count the final pin.

That's more buildup for a RAW main event in quite some time and I also thought that the RVD/Carlito vs. Masters/Shelton match was pretty good with a nice finish to further a possible Haas-Benjamin angle.

Coupled with the Joey Style angle last night the writers have an opportunity to make RAW interesting for me again but my confidence in them to deliver isn't very high for obvious reasons.