TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UseTheSledgehammerUh

The Worst Wrestling Show of All-Time

Following on from that, in retrospect it probably would have made sense if someone established but not in the title picture had one some of these dreadful KOTRs, it would have likely meant more heat to the ensuing main events.

You know I always did wonder why both UT / Yoko matches were casket matches. It kind of came out of the blue since they didn't have a regular singles match to start off with.

I have to throw in any WCW PPV where the world title wasn't even being fucking defended. Mostly, Hogan is to blame for that since he was the champion, but they did a few times with Goldberg too. Now, I'm not saying ALL the PPVs they had without it were bad, I'm sure there were a few decent ones that were able to pull through, but no world title match severely hurts the PPV so there's another reason why WCW ended up getting their ass kicked by WWE. Say what you want about WWE and their lame PPVs, but I'm glad they don't pull this shit off.

Say what you want about WWE and their lame PPVs, but I'm glad they don't pull this shit off.

Not often, but they did it at Buried Alive: IYH with HBK.

I guess there really wasn't a solid contender for Shawn at that point. Besides that show was built around the draw of the Buried Alive.

Deon, WCW did really stupid shit even before the Hogan deal. How about any time Cactus Jack flirted with the main event in WCW? I recall Beach Blash 1992, which is a very solid show, but the booking of the Sting/Cactus street fight is idiotic. The announcers practically ignore the match to focus on Sting's upcoming defense at the OMNI in Atlanta (why yes, this was Bill Watts era WCW). The title wasn't even on the line here I might add. Oh, and the announcers also hyped Sting's issue with Vader more than the Cactus feud that was playing out at that PPV! It was really insulting to Foley really, since this was a match he called one of the best of his career.

On that same show they also had the Steamboat/Rude Iron Man match and it wasn't even for the US title! I mean seriously, what the fuck was WCW thinking? Did they not realize you need stuff like title matches on a PPV?

I have to throw in any WCW PPV where the world title wasn't even being fucking defended. Mostly, Hogan is to blame for that since he was the champion, but they did a few times with Goldberg too. Now, I'm not saying ALL the PPVs they had without it were bad, I'm sure there were a few decent ones that were able to pull through, but no world title match severely hurts the PPV so there's another reason why WCW ended up getting their ass kicked by WWE. Say what you want about WWE and their lame PPVs, but I'm glad they don't pull this shit off.

Actually, the NWO-era shows without a Hogan title defense tended to be better overall.

Fall Brawl 96

Starrcade 96 (had a Hogan singles match vs. Piper, but was non-title)

Uncensored 97

Slamboree 97

BATB 97

Fall Brawl 97

Halloween Havoc 97 (Same ME situation as Starrcade 96)

Souled Out 98

These were all good-excellent shows without a World title defense. Compare that to:

Hog Wild 96

Souled Out 97

Superbrawl 97 (Same ME situation as Starrcade 96)

Road Wild 97

Starrcade 97

Those shows all had World title defenses but were average-fucking terrible in quality.

To be fair WW3 96 and Spring Stampede 97 didn't have a defense and were bad shows overall. Once the Goldberg reign hit, WCW shows were pretty much down the shitter for good, so a title defense wouldn't have done much either way.

I found this old thread on here, and since there have been mentions in other threads of old horrible PPVs I figured some might enjoy reading this.

By the way I have a new candidate for Worst PPV Ever: Halloween Havoc 2000. The last Russo Era WCW PPV and he was trying to book it with a serious concussion. It had David Flair vs. Bagwell in the DNA match, Mike Awesome vs. Vampiro with them missing every spot they try, Sting vs. Jarrett with an army of fake Stings helping JJ, a world title match with Booker and Steiner ending in a DQ, and the actual main event is Goldberg squashing Kronik.

The first Judgment Day is one of those sneaky bad shows. Like most Russo PPVs, it's basically just an extended episode of RAW. But this is an especially bad episode. You have Kane Vs The Undertaker in the main event (which had gotten tired even by then), The Rock jobbing cleanly to Mark Henry just as The Rock's getting a superpush, and The Headbangers (who were Shotgun fodder by this point) getting a tag team title shot for no other reason than the fact that The New Age Outlaws had probably gone through every other team on the roster by this point. Mankind-Shamrock and X-Pac-D Lo Brown may have been good, I don't really remember as I haven't seen it in seven or eight years but I remember not liking it as a mark so that should tell you something. I can think of shows I thought were good as a mark that I think are terrible now but I can't think of a show where the opposite rang true.

Oddly enough due to the negative hype surrounding D2D I ended up not thinking it was as bad as some others. It's certainly not good and probably would be on the list of worst PPVs, but at least MNM vs. Hardys was pretty good and while the main event was booked for shit there was some decent action in it at times (RVD/Punk was a decent, but brief, segment in the EC).

I wonder, does TNA have a 3 hour PPV that would qualify for this list? Even when their booking is moronic there's usually enough quality wrestling action to avoid being on such a list.

Probably, but who can recall? TNA's ppvs seem to have two speeds: Great Wrestling Show and Generic Crap Which You Won't Even Remember Tomorrow. Also, insert snarky joke about TNA's buyrates here, since the WWE's lowest-selling show still outdoes TNA's best-selling show.

Years ago but I'm having a hard time remembering any specifics. Hollywood Hogan teamed up with Bret Hart which is kind of odd and they faced...uh....*checks DDT Digest* Roddy Piper and Randy Savage. It was also the show where Juvy fought Reese. Looking at the card on paper now, I'm sure the undercard was decent but the last few matches stunk on ice. That last sentence describes virtually every WCW PPV from '96 to '98.

Jobber, go ahead and use the GAB line if you want.

Couple of points: I don't think Russo did the Booker angle where he lost his T. That would be during the early 2000 period when Russo was sent home and Kevin Sullivan was booking. The Sullivan period is the worst shit anyone has ever booked in the history of God's green earth.

Booker's 2000 title push wasn't well thought out. I'd heard people say for years that Booker T. was a guy they should push harder, but the thing is they didn't lay a foundation for his push. It was just "Okay, Booker is losing his T. one month, then joining MIA as GI Bro.....now let's give him the world title!"I have to admit I had drawn a blank on Unforgiven 2003 until now. Like most WWE shows of the period it's not "Worst Ever" level bad, but more or less just kinda boring. With most WWE shows there's at least SOME kind of decent work on it. I recall the Jericho/Christian/RVD match being at least around the *** mark.

I think for a show to be worst ever level bad it has to be a hideously boring affair as well as not even having a match rising to the *** level. To me, Russo era WCW doesn't qualify because his PPVs certainly weren't boring. It was a 170 min. barrage of crazed angles, hectic run ins galore, jawdropping weirdness. Stuff like SuperBrawl 95 is much worse. It's just bad and boring, and the main event (Hogan/Vader) could have been decent but had a non finish.

There is a fine line between sublime badness like Uncensored 95 and tedious badness like SuperBrawl 95.

I remember some sort of shoot interview with Booker from after he had been in the WWE for a couple of years or so. In that interview, he said he loved the idea, and he honestly thought that G.I. Bro was gonna be huge and be a great role model for young black males. He said he was gonna have an action figure that would be as big as G.I. Joe and kinds of shit. Dude was like completely oblivious to just how horrible the entire angle, character and anything to do with really was.

And I wanna throw Judgement Day 03 in for worst ppv consideration.

And I wanna throw Judgement Day 03 in for worst ppv consideration.

Judgment Day '03 isn't bad at all. And the main event is fun. How dare you.

Sure, Judgment Day 03 has a fun Brock-Show match and an average ladder match, but the rest is pretty bad. This is a show that features Hogan vs. Piper in 2003. The six-man tag could've been a decent little opener given 10 minutes or so, but it gets about 3, and Rhyno never even tags in. Test & Steiner vs. La Resistance (in their first match) and HHH vs. Nash... dear god. I usually like Battle royals, too, but that one was pretty boring. It's a bad show.

JD 2003 gets a pass from me for having a decent enough main event and also one major aspect as well. That would be the rise of Eddie to major star status, thanks to his makeshift teaming with Tajiri in that ladder match. Eddie literally carried 3 men in that match and it really launched him.

Years ago but I'm having a hard time remembering any specifics. Hollywood Hogan teamed up with Bret Hart which is kind of odd and they faced...uh....*checks DDT Digest* Roddy Piper and Randy Savage. It was also the show where Juvy fought Reese. Looking at the card on paper now, I'm sure the undercard was decent but the last few matches stunk on ice. That last sentence describes virtually every WCW PPV from '96 to '98.

From the few matches I've seen on DailyMotion, which were the tag match and the Giant/Sting main event, and a few others before the main event. With the exception of the Booker/Benoit match, I'd say you're right. That shit was horrible.

The highlight though, was right before the tag match, the cameraman focused in on a sign in the crowd that read: "Hogan/Hart vs. Piper/Savage Welcome to Jurassic Park"

The first Judgment Day is one of those sneaky bad shows. Like most Russo PPVs, it's basically just an extended episode of RAW. But this is an especially bad episode. You have Kane Vs The Undertaker in the main event (which had gotten tired even by then), The Rock jobbing cleanly to Mark Henry just as The Rock's getting a superpush, and The Headbangers (who were Shotgun fodder by this point) getting a tag team title shot for no other reason than the fact that The New Age Outlaws had probably gone through every other team on the roster by this point. Mankind-Shamrock and X-Pac-D Lo Brown may have been good, I don't really remember as I haven't seen it in seven or eight years but I remember not liking it as a mark so that should tell you something. I can think of shows I thought were good as a mark that I think are terrible now but I can't think of a show where the opposite rang true.

I Highly disagree. Watch it again. Snow-Mero, Taka-Christian and Goldust-Venis were all good-great midcard matches. X-Pac-D'Lo and Shamrock-Mankind were solid if unspectacular.

I still say the worst show I have ever seen is Fall Brawl 98. You get Bulldog/Anvil vs the Disco Inferno & Alex Wright, the Goldberg midget, the worst War Games match ever, Norman Smiley vs Ernest Miller, & Rick Steiner vs Scott Stiener. The only decent matches were Malenko vs Hennig and Raven vs Saturn for control of the Flock.

I think I should commemorate WCW's amazing stretch of mediocre to bad PPVs.From Slamboree '99 to New Blood Rising, WCW did not produce a single PPV that was better than mediocre. That's sixteen crappy PPVs in a row. Say what you want about the current product but that kind of streak is never happening again.

Mercifully, the streak was broken by the slightly above average Fall Brawl '00. But the crappiness returned in full force with Halloween Havoc '00, which rivals SuperBrawl X and Uncensored 2000 for the worst WCW show of that year.

kotr 95 without question. That was a horrible year for the wwe. There were maybe 3 or 4 memorable matches for the entire year. Could you imagine the wwe having a roster split with 2 brands today with the 1995 roster?

I feel awful that I made my parents spend their hard earned money on all those crappy WCW PPV's back in 98. Hailing from Calgary (dramatic pause) Alberta, Canada, we started watching WCW for Bret, but with their booking, we never knew if he was in half in the nWo, or wrestling Van Hammer.

I'm putting WWF Fully Loaded 1998 in the running.

Any PPV that has a tag team main event usually sucks, and Austin/Taker vs. Kane/Mankind was no exception.

The two out of three falls match between HHH and Rock was good despite the stupid finish, eh, Im on the fence with it.

The Dungeon match that was tapped days before was a little weird.

Val Venis defeated Jeff Jarrett (w/Tennessee Lee) (7:41)

D'Lo Brown (w/The Godfather) defeated X-Pac (w/Chyna) (8:26)

Faarooq and Scorpio defeated Terry Funk and Justin Bradshaw (6:51)

Mark Henry defeated Vader (5:03)

The Disciples of Apocalypse (8-Ball and Skull) (w/Paul Ellering) defeated L.O.D. 2000 (Hawk and Animal) (w/Sunny) (8:50)

Owen Hart defeated Ken Shamrock (w/Dan Severn as Special Guest Referee) in a Dungeon match

WWF Intercontinental Champion The Rock fought Triple H (w/Chyna) to a time limit draw in a Two out of three falls match (30:00)

Jacqueline defeated Sable (w/Jerry Lawler as Emcee) in a Bikini contest

The Undertaker and Steve Austin defeated Kane and Mankind to win the WWF Tag Team Championship

Aside from the Bikini contest, this was a snoozer.

Also, Souled Out 1998, Nash vs. Giant, gotta love that finish, jesus christ!

Also, Souled Out 1998, Nash vs. Giant, gotta love that finish, jesus christ!

Hey, Souled Out is actually a pretty good PPV minus the "main event" between Luger and Savage. Benoit vs. Raven, the Luchadors 8-man tag, Booker vs. Martel, and Bret vs. Flair are all good-great. Everything else is about average, but there's not much actively bad other than maybe Hall vs. Zbyszko that I can recall. Even Nash vs. Giant is better than expected.

Besides, Tony's reaction for Dusty's heel turn is awesome. He carries those hurt emotions into the next match and beyond!

Kamala is more charitable towards Fall Brawl 2000 than me. I would put it in there with WCW's run of suck from Slamboree 1999 until Havoc 2000. You know what's truly sad? WCW got quite good for the last 5 months or so, like from Oct.-Nov. 2000 until March 2001.

Eh, there's enough good stuff on Fall Brawl '00 to drag it up to above average (making it the best WCW PPV of '00 sadly). There's the shockingly good Steiner-Goldberg match, a decent opener, a fun MIA-Three Count six man tag, and The Filthy Animals-Natural Born Thrillers was shaping up to be decent before the weird ending. And Booker T-Nash is about as good of a Nash match as you're going to get not against a guy who's not named Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. Sure, there's some crap on there (Mike Awesome needing the help of the entire Buffalo Bills offensive line and Gary Coleman to beat Jeff Jarrett, typical Sting-Dark Carnival junk, and I think there was a Harris Boys match on there...) but a lot less than say New Blood Rising or Halloween Havoc.

And WCW's minor resurgance in early '01 was depressing to me because deep down I knew it was the end of the line. The last PPV, Greed was the best PPV they had put on in years with a undercard that rocked the shit and a main event that was actually pretty good.

You know what's truly sad? WCW got quite good for the last 5 months or so, like from Oct.-Nov. 2000 until March 2001.

True dat, yo. I was there live for Superbrawl Revenge, and it was a shockingly good show. By WCW standards. It had nothing on what the WWF was doing around the same time, but still, considering that it was a dying company on its last legs, that was a good show. Hugh/Wall and Dustin/RSteiner were worthless, but aside from that everything on the show was enjoyable in some fashion. And this includes matches with Kevin Nash, Ernest Miller, and Kronik.

Now, the WCW house show I went to about a year before that... deserves to be mentioned in this thread. The highpoint of the show was seeing Daffney live for the first time. Everything else was horrible beyond belief.

I'm a huge house show mark. I manage to have a decent time even at mediocre ones most of the time.

The one exception was a Smackdown! house show on a Monday night in July of '02. There was no Hulk Hogan, no Rock (though I imagine he'd stopped doing house shows completely at this point), no Triple H, not even Jericho. The wrestling itself wasn't terrible for the most part (We got to see Rey before he made his return on TV in a decent match, teaming up with Kidman against Chavo Guerrero Jr and Tajiri and the main event between Kurt Angle and Edge was decent if not slightly rushed) but the experience was terrible. The reason for this being the third person who was supposed to go with my brother and me backed out at the very last minute and our wrestling hating dad decided go with us (we really didn't have a choice as neither of us had licenses at that point) and he was bitching all night. Just a miserable experience and it was a terrible time in WWE history. The arena was only about a third filled. Right before the separate rosters idea gelled and before the Smackdown Six showed up to redeem the show somewhat.

Anyways here's the results courtesy of Cawthon's site

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Portland, ME - Civic Center - July 1, 2002 (3,388; 3,200 paid)

Included an in-ring segment in which Scotty 2 Hotty announced he would soon return to the ring, only for Chief Morley to come out and order him out of the arena

Sho Funaki pinned Rico by avoiding a spin kick and using a roll up

Lance Storm & Christian defeated John Cena & Steve Bradley when Storm pinned Bradley with the superkick

WWE Cruiserweight Champion Jamie Noble pinned the Hurricane as the challenger attempted a suplex into the ring, Nidia swept his feet out from under him and held the leg down during the cover

WWE Tag Team Champions Billy Gunn & Chuck Palumbo defeated Val Venis & Hardcore Holly when Gunn pinned Holly with a roll up after a Jungle Kick from Palumbo

Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Chavo Guerrero Jr. & Tajiri after Kidman vaulted Rey into the air and Mysterio hit a Frankensteiner off the top on Chavo

D-Von Dudley, Batista, & Albert defeated Hugh Morrus, Rob Conway, & Mark Henry when D-Von pinned Conway

Torrie Wilson defeated Stacy Keibler in a Bra & Panties match

Rikishi pinned Test

Edge pinned Kurt Angle, despite outside interference from Billy Gunn, Chuck Palumbo, and Rico; after the match, Edge, Val Venis, Hardcore Holly, Rikishi, and Scotty 2 Hotty held off Gunn, Palumbo, Rico, Christian, Lance Storm, and Test