TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5_moves_of_doom

Best Album of 1977

EDIT: Oh dammit to hell. I somehow mistyped the post's title. Is there any way to fix that? Anyway, yes, it should say "Best Album of 1977".

This one should be quite a bit more difficult than the "Best Album of 1975" thread that (I believe) Inc started a while back.

My top five are, in no order:

Kraftwerk -- Trans-Europe Express

Wire -- Pink Flag

The Clash -- The Clash

David Bowie -- Low

Television -- Marquee Moon

No surprise to me that my list is dominated by punk-related albums... this year was, of course, the year of most of punk's greatest albums. However, one should note that there was quite a bit of awesome reggae going on within this year as well, and some pretty intense funk too.

Oddly enough, Iggy Pop's The Idiot is the album that inspired me to start this topic, and yet it didn't make my list.

Anyway, as for narrowing those down to my absolute top choice... we will see.

I am interested in seeing what everyone else has to say on this topic, because I know that there are quite a lot of black sheep and dark horses from this year that tend to become sentimental favorites of some people.

It's got to be The Sex Pistols.

Though Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True are both awesome.

Wire -- Pink Flag

The Clash -- London Calling

David Bowie -- Low

do you perhaps read pitchforkmedia?

Yes, I had meant the self-titled Clash album -- sorry, it was in the A.M. when I posted this last night and I must have been pretty groggy, considering the typo in the title and the Clash screw-up as well.

Anyway, I had forgot about the Talking Heads (which is a pretty stupid thing to do, considering the title of the album.)

Anyway, I'm starting to think that Kraftwerk is my first choice. Fela Kuti's Zombie used to be a favorite of mine, but I haven't listened to it in ages... perhaps I should do something about that.

I never really enjoyed about half of the songs on The Sex Pistols record.

Guest Felonies!
Trans-Europe Express ain't holdin' up well for me these days. YOu could shave like a third off of the first four tracks and not miss it. Low made a Bowie fan out of me, though. Does Lather count as '77 if it never really came out?

I think we're all forgetting that a band called Foreigner released an album in 1977. It contained the smash hits "Feels Like the First Time", "Cold as Ice", and "Headknocker". All the other great albums released that year, The Idiot, Talking Heads '77, The Clash, Low, none match the brilliance of Foreigner.

Wire -- Pink Flag

The Clash -- London Calling

David Bowie -- Low

do you perhaps read pitchforkmedia?

Not on a regular basis, no, but I have read the "Top 100 Albums of the 1970s" list that you are probably linking my tastes with. Not surprisingly, that list is the list that they've done that I most agree with. I am not pumped enough on Radiohead to be a "Pitchfork kid."

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Trans-Europe Express ain't holdin' up well for me these days. YOu could shave like a third off of the first four tracks and not miss it. Low made a Bowie fan out of me, though. Does Lather count as '77 if it never really came out?

The original free radio broadcast of all 8 sides was in 77, so I guess. If not, take Zappa in NY.

Guest Felonies!

Now we're talkin'. Every song with Don Pardo on it is a winner. And the Brecker Brothers too! Man.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Amusing zappa moment: I was listening to ZINY at work, and a woman came in my office right in mid-Illinois Enema Bandit.

"What the fuck are you listening to?"

"Kool and the Gang."

Guest Felonies!

Should've come in at either "he then decided to give his female victims a little enema! Apparently, there was no law against that." or "he called her a slut, and a pig, and a whore, and a bitch, and a cunt"

I think that's the only time Frank uses the c-word, right?

Guest Velouria
Marquee Moon, in a walk. T-EE is a personal favorite, but does drop off in the second half. Clash's S/T is really good, but not in the same ballpark. Low bored me to no end. Need the Wire disc.