TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

Very surprising, but a good trade. Toronto gets a very good PG to dish to Bosh and Bargnani, while the Bucks get a scoring PF to compliment Bogut, and Mo can start. Now if only the Bucks could move Magloire for a SF...

I don't really like this trade. Are you telling me Charlie Fucking Bell is going to be counted on to carry the PG load now? I mean, he's not trash or anything, but he's no TJ Ford.

As far as Toronto, I doubt Bargnani's going to be ready to be a second scoring option.

I want Banks, personally. He's a legit lockdown defender that can help Farmar work on that end of his game.

Are you willing to give him the entire MLE is the question. Because that's what he's asking, from all I've read.

That's a wild deal. I'm surprised either team would give up either guy, but I think both teams got better as a result.

Agreed. It's really rare in this age of the cap that two teams can make a trade that makes sense financially and on the court. Toronto has a logjam up front and needs a point. Done. The Bucks need some help at forward. Done. Both guys have tremendous upside.

I guess I just kind of feel the same way about the Bucks' PG situation now as I do about ours. Tinsley, if he's healthy/in shape, is solid, but that's a HUGE "if". Bell and AJ both had great second halves of the season, but it's not enough to me to say "ok, you're our new starting PG". If Tinsley does end up getting traded, which is a distinct possibility, I'm not sure I'd have faith in AJ/Jasikevicius to carry that load. And I feel the same about Bell and Mo Williams. Maybe they'll start Mo, but all I know is Bell and Ford were splitting the starting job at the end of last season with Mo coming off the bench.

I still remember the Mark Jackson-to-Denver trade, and the debacle that was the 96-97 season. I knew Haywoode Workman and Travis Best weren't going to cut it, and between Workman going down and missing the entire season and that douchebag Larry Brown refusing to play Jalen Rose, that was it. Even hastily trading to get Jackson back couldn't save us. That's the only year we've missed the playoffs since 1989.

Scott Padgett was waived by the Nets yesterday, and the team also didn't pick up its option on Cliff Robinson.

I'm liking the TJ Ford/Chris Bosh combo alot, if Bargnani can perform like a #1 pick in a year or two Toronto will be on the right track for the first time in seemingly forever.

I guess I just kind of feel the same way about the Bucks' PG situation now as I do about ours. Tinsley, if he's healthy/in shape, is solid, but that's a HUGE "if". Bell and AJ both had great second halves of the season, but it's not enough to me to say "ok, you're our new starting PG". If Tinsley does end up getting traded, which is a distinct possibility, I'm not sure I'd have faith in AJ/Jasikevicius to carry that load. And I feel the same about Bell and Mo Williams. Maybe they'll start Mo, but all I know is Bell and Ford were splitting the starting job at the end of last season with Mo coming off the bench.

It'll be Mo Williams. They were going to trade one of the two this offseason. At least they got some good value back.

The funny thing about this trade is, on the Bucks board, they think they got robbed in the trade, and on the Raptors board, they think they are the ones who got robbed.

Makes sense that each team's fans would feel that way. Each guy is a young player who's proven his ability in front of a group of fans. To Bucks fans, Villaneuva is probably a decent rookie but a guy with just one good season--who knows if he'll replicate it and improve on that? To Raptors fans, Ford is a guy who's spent half of his three years in the league injured. And if any of them are doubting Bargnani, dumping Villaneuva, who seemed like such a steal at #7 after last season, has got to look very risky.

I want Banks, personally. He's a legit lockdown defender that can help Farmar work on that end of his game.

Are you willing to give him the entire MLE is the question. Because that's what he's asking, from all I've read.

I would, and then give Reggie Evans the low level if he would take it.

That is a horrible trade for the Bucks. So they give up a guy that has allstar level potential at the point for another small forward....after they gave Bobby Simmons like a gazillion dollars the other year(unless they are going to play him at the 4). And why the hell would Toronto not push for Jamal Magloire in that deal too. They would have sured up the entire starting line up.

That is a horrible trade for the Bucks. So they give up a guy that has allstar level potential at the point for another small forward....after they gave Bobby Simmons like a gazillion dollars the other year(unless they are going to play him at the 4). And why the hell would Toronto not push for Jamal Magloire in that deal too. They would have sured up the entire starting line up.

The Bucks intend to put Charlie Villanueva at the four alongside Andrew Bogut, giving them one of the better young frontcourts in the game. TJ Ford looked amazing coming out of college, but the past two years have shown that they can live without him. As of right now, he doesn't look like a future All-Star. He has spent nearly half of his three years on the injured list and although he is still a great young player, Mo Williams will give them a comparable performance. Charlie was the second best rookie in the game last year, so you can't complain about his potential.

As for the Raptors, they already traded for Rasho Nestorovic, and just drafted Bargnani. Jamaal Magloire doesn't really fit into their long-term plans (although there is 0% chance he would have been included in the deal anyways). TJ Ford solves their PG problems and they can now focus their $20 million in cap room towards other pieces to fill out the squad.

Free agent season has begun in the NBA. Negotiations between players and teams start today, but nothing offical can be signed until July 12.

-Jason Terry has agreed to a six year deal worth $50 million to stay in Dallas.

-Carmelo Anthony has agreed to a five year extension worth $80 million

-Lebron James was offered a five year, $80 million extension, but has NOT accepted at this point in time

I heard Dallas is trying to get Dirk a 3 yr extension. They're gonna need to have some money left for Howard and either Harris or Daniels in the near future as well, or they're gonna be faced with a Phoenix Suns situation where they're overextended moneywise and will need to start shipping off key parts.

Lebron James was offered a five year, $80 million extension, but has NOT accepted at this point in time

That's because he's not going to accept.

I heard Dallas is trying to get Dirk a 3 yr extension. They're gonna need to have some money left for Howard and either Harris or Daniels in the near future as well, or they're gonna be faced with a Phoenix Suns situation where they're overextended moneywise and will need to start shipping off key parts.

Two things: Dallas has shown the willingness to overspend to keep the players they want. Mark Cuban has said he is willing to lose money in the short term for a chance at a winning ballclub. The new owner in Phoenix is supposedly very cheap and will not go over the luxury threshold.

Second, they are going to trade Marquis Daniels.

Lebron James was offered a five year, $80 million extension, but has NOT accepted at this point in time

That's because he's not going to accept.

While it is slightly curious that he did not accept the offer immediately, I can't foresee any reason that he won't accept by the end of the holiday weekend.

I would become a "witness" if LeBron left the Cavs high and dry. That would be THE basketball story of the next decade if he just upped and left Cleveland. I'm not saying he should go to Miami for the MLE, but that's fun to think about in the category of "absolutely, positively, never going to happen".

While it is slightly curious that he did not accept the offer immediately, I can't foresee any reason that he won't accept by the end of the holiday weekend.

Well, more money from Nike is one reason.

Well, more money from Nike is one reason.

Well the more money from Nike clause would only apply if he signed with New York or Los Angeles. That's not happening, so its not even worth talking about. Plus I doubt that the clause would make up the money he would lose waiting to become a free agent, as well as the additional contract money you can only receive by resigning with your team.

He likes playing in Cleveland and he's happy with the moves they made to put a contending team around him. There's no reason for him to leave now. If he ever decides its not working, he will demand a trade. Simple as that.