TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

Al Harrington is a double-double guy? Could have fooled me.

My point is they have 3 reliable scoring options in Hinrich/Gordon/Deng and reliable secondary options in Nocioni (the guy put up a steady 13 per and stepped it up to 22 per in the playoffs) and (supposedly) JR Smith. Plus the way they play defense and force transition, with several guys who can clean up on garbage points around the hoop, I don't think they have a problem scoring the ball.

And how do they aquire and pay Al Harrington? Didn't they just use all their available cap room on Ben Wallace? Harrington won't sign for an exception.

Plus he cuts into the minutes of Thomas, Nocioni and Deng...and Noc' and Deng especially should be getting over 30 a night

Not saying he's a bad player, he's just completely unnecesary for this Bulls team for the ammount of money he commands

IGNORE ME

They were tied for 13th best, 7th best in the east, I was looking at postseason #'s. But it also took them half the year to get their rotation together, If I could find the splits I'd bet they were better than 13th in the 2nd half

But ANYWAY they've lost no major contributors, the team is improved, and every single one of their young scorers looks to improve :P

I don't really agree with that Yahoo article so much. I mean, Wade is great. Fantastic player, carried the Heat to the championship, but that team changes a lot when Shaq retires. He's nowhere near the player he used to be in terms of production, but he still commands frequent double-teams and allows Wade to be a more flexible first scoring option than almost every other #1 guy in the league.

As for LeBron, yes, he's great, and he'll win titles when he's got a better team around him. Cleveland's still working on getting that better team and really haven't figured it out yet despite millions of dollars of trying. Dwight Howard's way good, but I think it's preemptive to say that he's going to lead teams as dominant as Cleveland and Miami could be when the most proven other guy on the Magic roster is Hedo Turkoglu (Grant Hill doesn't count anymore).

If the Chicago/NO trade goes down, then I really, really love the Ben Wallace signing, even at that bloated price. With two consecutive years of extremely high drafts picks followed by offseasons with substantial cap space, they can afford to throw that max deal out and be happy with the additional wins they get. Getting rid of Chandler's contract is good, especially since the deal for a reasonably comparable player like Przybilla is confirming that they overpaid for Chandler's services. Like Ripper said, they have enough assets now to comfortably work a trade for almost any player being shopped without giving their own roster a significant hit, and the situation will be the same next offseason. I mean, they could probably get Iverson from Philadelphia in a heartbeat if they wanted him and could make the salaries match.

I don't really agree with that Yahoo article so much. I mean, Wade is great. Fantastic player, carried the Heat to the championship, but that team changes a lot when Shaq retires. He's nowhere near the player he used to be in terms of production, but he still commands frequent double-teams and allows Wade to be a more flexible first scoring option than almost every other #1 guy in the league.

As for LeBron, yes, he's great, and he'll win titles when he's got a better team around him. Cleveland's still working on getting that better team and really haven't figured it out yet despite millions of dollars of trying. Dwight Howard's way good, but I think it's preemptive to say that he's going to lead teams as dominant as Cleveland and Miami could be when the most proven other guy on the Magic roster is Hedo Turkoglu (Grant Hill doesn't count anymore).

If the Chicago/NO trade goes down, then I really, really love the Ben Wallace signing, even at that bloated price. With two consecutive years of extremely high drafts picks followed by offseasons with substantial cap space, they can afford to throw that max deal out and be happy with the additional wins they get. Getting rid of Chandler's contract is good, especially since the deal for a reasonably comparable player like Przybilla is confirming that they overpaid for Chandler's services. Like Ripper said, they have enough assets now to comfortably work a trade for almost any player being shopped without giving their own roster a significant hit, and the situation will be the same next offseason. I mean, they could probably get Iverson from Philadelphia in a heartbeat if they wanted him and could make the salaries match.

I don't disagree with any of what you said, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of the post Shaq NBA in 2-3 years. The league is evolving away from the dominant low post, back to the basket, big man like Shaq. Once he's gone so is that "breed" of player. Nowitzki showed in this year's Finals he can't carry a team on his back yet. Amare's health is still an issue and even though LeBron's also not there yet he's also ridiculously young. Wade already went on a one man rampage and he too should get better.

The way I look at it is once Shaq comes off of Miami's books in a few years they'll have a shitload of money to pay to anyone they want and who in their right mind wouldn't want to play with a guy like Wade? It's the same reason that there won't really be a shortage of guys looking to make moves to wherever LeBron is and Howard will probably be the ideal big man for guards to want to go hook up with. Just keep in mind that in 2008-2009 and beyond guys like Duncan & Garnett will be heading toward that inevitable slide too and I just think the league will be much more guard/slasher oriented giving the teams with the best players with those skills a huge advantage. It's sorta the same way you couldn't go wrong if you always picked whichever team had Shaq or Duncan to win the title for years. In the future it'll be whether you've got to beat LeBron or Wade for the trophy.

Before that window closes you can still see other teams make runs, but it's going to be a rarity if LeBron stays in Cleveland to see an NBA Finals that doesn't have him or Wade involved if the league keeps heading in its present direction.

If the Bulls get KG, they're going to the NBA Finals. Chandler/Deng/Thomas is a damn good deal for Minnesota, as it gives them a very solid foundation for rebuilding. They'll end up starting Chandler, Thomas, Deng, Davis and Banks, probably. And of course, if the Bulls get KG, it'll be Ben, KG, Nocioni, Gordon and Hinrich as the starting lineup, which is awesome.

You're right. Oden's there for the taking, as long as Isiah keeps screwing up. As a side note, who's do you all think will get Joakim Noah next year?

Charlotte. No rhyme or reason, but I think they'll be bad enough and won't be able to pass him up.

One thing's for sure: Chandler is gone before the season starts.

But even with the Bulls trading Chandler, having the Knicks' pick next year could logjam a lot of positions for the Bulls, especially with the cap space they'll have. Losing Hinrich or Nocioni next summer isn't a possibility, so they're staying. Gordon, Deng, Sefolosha, Tyrus, Sweetney and Duhon are all there until 2008, and they just acquired Wallace. That's still a small amount of money invested in a team that are already playoff bound.

Guest Felonies!

When does Charlotte become a force to be reckoned with? It seems like they're really stockpiling the college talent. They've gotta amount to something sooner or later.

I think if Charlotte add one veteran player and another top draft pick, we'll see them make a playoff run in the next three years.

Lindsey Hunter stays with Detroit.

Trade rumor has Derek Fisher going to Utah for Devin Brown, Keith McLeod and Andre Owens.

Bulls getting KG is good if they win now, but their young players will keep them in contention for years down the line. It's a bit of a gamble, but I think the Bulls should go for it. Imagine KG and Ben on the front line... Would any team be able to get an offensive board ever? Plus Garnett gives them a go-to scorer.

Also, is Cleveland in cap trouble or do they suffer from inept managing? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be a more desirable destination for FA's with Lebron and all.

Also, is Cleveland in cap trouble or do they suffer from inept managing? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be a more desirable destination for FA's with Lebron and all.

They aren't really in cap trouble long-term, but they don't have anything other than the mid-level this summer. Cleveland's problem was having a lot of money last year and trying to spend it all at once to put a winning team around Lebron. They divided up the money between Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Larry Hughes, Damon Jones and Donyell Marshall and none of them really worked out how they expected. No one was really hating on those deals at the time (except maybe Hughes, who didn't really fit their system), so I wouldn't really call it inept. They are a top 4 team in the East... that's not bad.

Tyson Chandler to N.O. --

Bulls to deal Chandler to Hornets for Brown, SmithBy Marc Stein

ESPN.com

The Chicago Bulls and New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets on Wednesday reached a verbal agreement on the widely expected trade that will send Bulls center Tyson Chandler to the Hornets for veteran forward P.J. Brown and swingman J.R. Smith.

Tyson Chandler

Center

Chicago Bulls

2006 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

79 5.3 9.0 1.0 .565 .503

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that the players involved have been notified that the deal will officially go through July 12, which is the first day NBA teams can officially complete signings and trades after the league announces the salary cap for the 2006-07 season.

The ability to deal away Chandler, who has five years and $54 million left on his contract, was crucial for the Bulls in their pursuit of Ben Wallace. They likely couldn't have offered Wallace as much as they did -- nearly $60 million over four years -- without receiving Brown's much friendlier contract in return.

The willingness to take on Chandler's contract, meanwhile, represents the third bold move from the traditionally quiet Hornets in the space of a week, after years of criticism endured by Hornets owner George Shinn for his reluctance to spend.

"It's my understanding that the trade is going to happen," said Mark Bartelstein, Brown's agent. "P.J. is very excited. He feels like the Bulls have an opportunity to compete for a championship. He really enjoyed his time with the Hornets, but he has so many fond memories of his days in Miami and contending every year that Chicago is a really good situation for him to get back to."

New Orleans/Oklahoma City commenced its aggressive summer makeover by offering Peja Stojakovic a five-year deal worth more than $60 million to entice the sharpshooting former All-Star to leave the Indiana Pacers. That was Saturday.

On Sunday, Shinn followed the Stojakovic coup by sanctioning a three-year commitment worth more than $15 million to Memphis Grizzlies guard Bobby Jackson.

The venerable Brown, who turns 37 in October, has only one season left on his contract at $8 million. Swapping Brown and the out-of-favor Smith for Chandler means New Orleans/Oklahoma City has committed to well over $120 million in new contracts since free agency began Saturday at 12:01 a.m.

Smith

Brown

It adds up to the most unexpected outlay ever seen from Shinn, even more unexpected than the big contracts he awarded Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn in the club's Charlotte days. Those moves were contract extensions. The Hornets have never been known for making offseason splashes such as these.

Yet this deal holds obvious appeal on both sides.

Hornets coach Byron Scott, himself the recipient of a three-year contract extension just before the draft, wants to play an up-tempo game and will inevitably see the more athletic Chandler, at 7-foot-1 and turning 24 in October, as a better fit than Brown alongside Rookie of the Year point guard Chris Paul, Stojakovic and power forward David West.

The trade makes even more sense for the Bulls. They don't want to play two non-scorers together (Chandler and Wallace) and moving out Chandler's expensive contract for Brown's expiring deal makes it much easier to absorb Wallace's deal.

Brown, furthermore, is regarded as one of the best locker-room influences in the league and, along with Wallace, would provide legitimate size ... as well as the veteran know-how lacking in Chicago since the breakup of Michael Jordan's Bulls after their sixth and final championship in 1998.

Smith has at least three players ahead of him in Chicago's swing rotation -- Andres Nocioni, Ben Gordon and Luol Deng -- but the 20-year-old has attracted significant trade interest since falling out of Scott's rotation halfway through the season. Smith, then, figures to be a valuable trade chip for the Bulls if he can't crack coach Scott Skiles' rotation, although league restrictions on trades would make it difficult for Chicago to move him until 60 days after this trade is officially consummated.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Bad deal for the Hornets. Chandler is garbage and woefully overpaid at that. Chicago fans can thank the Knicks for making most of these moves possible. Sigh.

Tyson Chandler isn't much of a player, but if you look at what average post players have been getting in recent years (Dampier, Dalembert, Nene, Foyle, etc.), he can't really be considered overpaid. He'll fit in nice enough in NO and provide some young athleticism.

Brown to the Bulls makes the Wallace signing easier to stomach, and gives the team some flexibility come next summer. I'm not sure what the future holds for JR Smith, but I hope its more like the end of his rookie season instead of what we saw last year.

While not a great deal for the Hornets, it clears up the question of "Who'll be the big man to hit the boards?" for the immediate future.

I expect at least one more deal before the start of the season, which should send Arvydas Macijauskas packing. (He's not a happy camper right now.)

This mostly-young lineup is looking interesting, but I'd like to see how it ends up gelling.

C Tyson Chandler

PG Chris Paul

SG Desmond Mason or Bobby Jackson

SF Peja Stojakovic

PF David West

Guest Felonies!

I wish Tyson Chandler well down in Oklahoma City, but damn, I think this juuuuuust about purges the Jerry Krause years off the roster. If Brown and Wallace end up working out, this is gonna be a great year. The Pistons are regressing, and I can't tell what the Bucks and Pacers are up to.

Somebody had to pay for Dallas' collapse in the NBA Finals. The Mavericks started with someone they owed a lot of money.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN's Marc Stein Wednesday night that the Mavs have agreed to trade forward Marquis Daniels to the Indiana Pacers for veteran forward Austin Croshere. The Dallas Morning News also reported that the deal was confirmed by Mavericks officials.

Daniels, who averaged 10.2 points and 3.6 rebounds last year in his third season in Dallas, signed a six-year, $36.8-million contract before the 2004 season. He has three guaranteed years remaining at $6 million per year and a fourth-year team option at $7 million.

Since he had fallen down the depth chart behind Jerry Stackhouse and Josh Howard in the small forward rotation, he became an expensive luxury. He averaged only 3.4 points per game in this season's playoffs. Dallas' drafting of swingman Maurice Ager out of Michigan State was a very visible sign that the 6-foot-6 Daniels might not be in the Mavs' plans.

The 6-foot-10 Croshere, who averaged 8.2 points and 5.3 rebounds last season, has just one year remaining on his contract at $7 million. He helps the Mavs hedge their bets on Keith Van Horn, who is a free agent and appears to be drawing interest around the league.

Daniels is the Pacers' first acquisiton since sharpshooter Peja Stojakovic reached a verbal agreement Saturday to leave Indiana and sign with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. The 25-year-old was not selected in the 2003 draft but promptly earned a big contract after a strong rookie season under Don Nelson.

Nelson viewed Daniels as a player with three-position potential -- point guard, shooting guard and small forward. But when Nelson was re-signed in March 2005 and replaced by Avery Johnson, Daniels gradually faded out of favor.

The Pacers were drawn to Daniels' versatility and will try to reignite his career after finally finding a taker for Croshere, who has been shopped for years after struggling to live up to the sizable contract he received after a strong performance in the 2000 NBA Finals.

Croshere affords Dallas some future salary-cap flexibility as well as frontcourt experience and proficiency from the perimeter. He is likely to claim minutes as a backup to Dirk Nowitzki, minutes that last season went to Van Horn.

Holy crap. That's awesome. I hate to see Austin go, but Daniels was probably the closest we were going to get to Ron Artest defensively, and it also gives us some more leverage to work out a deal for Harrington.

Holy crap. That's awesome. I hate to see Austin go, but Daniels was probably the closest we were going to get to Ron Artest defensively, and it also gives us some more leverage to work out a deal for Harrington.

The only problem with that line of thinking is that, unless the Pacers work out a multi-team trade to take place this weekend, they can't do a direct sign-and-trade using Daniels as bait.

You have to wait 60 days after the trade is complete before you can re-trade an involved player.

Harrington will most definitely be signed by the time 10 days are up, let alone 60.

What I meant was Daniels makes guys like Jackson and Fred Jones more expendable for that sort of thing. Obviously they didn't make that trade to just turn around and trade Daniels. Should have been more clear I guess.

I'm happy with that, and I have a large dislike for Jackson, so trading him and Jones away would make me happy.

Things are shaping up nicely for OKC now. I think I'll definitely go to some games next season. Especially when the Celtics come to town.

And that starting lineup may.......MAY get OKC an 8th seed in the playoffs.

Who's OKC? :D

They are much better, but it is still a logjam in the West, and I would still tend to think that if Carlos Boozer is healthy the whole year the Jazz who finished 9th will still have a better team.

Who's OKC? :D

They are much better, but it is still a logjam in the West, and I would still tend to think that if Carlos Boozer is healthy the whole year the Jazz who finished 9th will still have a better team.

That team in Oklahoma City. The OKC Hornets. I can't for the life of me figure out who this NO everyone keeps mentioning is. NO means NO?