TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CurryMan

World Cup 2006 in Germany

Crouch was dire: The England match was the worst yet.

I though Crouch did well in the first half. The problem is, he's not a sole striker. He comes deep for the ball, makes runs to make space for Owen and gets knock ons from the long balls. However, he doesn't have the pace or skill (or knowledge) to play as a sole striker, especially at international level.

Agreed, though. The match was the worst of the World Cup so far.

Robben played better than anyone else in this tournament besides maybe Riquelme.

Argentina impressed me in the way that they played awful, but won.

I wouldn't say they played awful by any stretch, the only criticism would be that they allowed the Ivorians a lot of the ball. Their tackling/recovering from that position was virtually flawless.

I'm ready to see Portugal beat the hell out of their former colony, Angola.

I wouldn't say they played awful by any stretch, the only criticism would be that they allowed the Ivorians a lot of the ball. Their tackling/recovering from that position was virtually flawless.

Not awful, but by their standards it wasn't great. I won't know how good they really are until the Holland game.

Mascherano was awesome at the "Makelele" style in midfield, shame he's at a club that's "linked" with Chelsea.

Guest Vitamin X
I'm ready to see Portugal beat the hell out of their former colony, Angola.

Too bad they won't have the same kind of success against their other former colony in the WC Tourney..

Guest CurryMan

Breaking news from the Swedish squad...

According to the Swedish channel 4 there were abit of an altercation after the match yesterday. The players who were involved were Olof Mellberg and Fredrik Ljungberg.

If people know there history these two people are great "friends" and here is a nice friendly hug from the WC 2002

1087363400.976.jpg

Portugal tonight showed that same problem they've had for 10 years, no Cutting Edge in the final 3rd of the pitch.

They'll get beat by the Group C team they play in the round of 16.

Cristiano Ronaldo has some serious issues, he seems like the type that could lose it at any moment.

Guest CurryMan

A commecial in germany about the Germany - Poland game the commercial was removed shortly after it was aired for the first time.

"last time we took Poland it took 39 days, this time we are going to do it in 90 minutes"

Talk about bad taste, this according to a popular swedish radio station. I´m trying to look for some other source.

Holland, a team that has a rivalry with Germany, has made new helmets that mimick the Nazi ones. Pretty tasteless since it's a whole fanbase.

What you heard is probably just some radio station's gag for the game or something. That's like hearing one of those shock jock DJ's in America pull something tasteless than assuming the actual people involved allowed it to run.

I though Crouch did well in the first half. The problem is, he's not a sole striker. He comes deep for the ball, makes runs to make space for Owen and gets knock ons from the long balls. However, he doesn't have the pace or skill (or knowledge) to play as a sole striker, especially at international level.

I agree. Crouch was one of the best players on the pitch in the first half and nobody should be blaming him for what happened in the second half.

Agreed, though. The match was the worst of the World Cup so far.

So what? The opening match of Italia 90 against the Oirish was god awful and yet we went on to reach the semi-finals and play in the best three matches of the whole tournament. I'm not expecting similar great things this time around if i'm honest but it shows how a side's performances can dramatically improve, no matter how unlikely it seems earlier on. Argentina's run in 1990 and Germany's in 2002 proved that sometimes you don't even need to improve on mediocrity to go far.

I've done a World Cup prediction thing my local pub is running. Predict the scores of all 48 group games and score points as follows = 2 points for the correct outcome and 5pts for a correct scoreline.

Germany 4 Costa Rica 2 (Prediction: 3-0)

I wasn't banking on the German's being so suspect at the back.

Ecuador 2 Poland 0 (Prediction 0-0)

Sat on the fence with this one and paid the price.

England 1 Paraguay 0 (Prediction: 2-0)

Nearly right.

Sweden 0 Trinidad & Tabago 0 (Prediction 2-0)

Hislop ruined this one.

Argentina 2 Ivory Coast 1 (Prediction: 2-1)

Get in! First spot on call.

Holland 1 Serbia & Montenegro 0 (Prediction 1-0)

Two in a row! I'm on a roll now.

Mexico 3 Iran 1 (Prediction 3-1)

THREE IN A ROW!!!!

Portugal 1 Angola 0 (Prediction: 4-0)

Looked more like an 8-0 early on but Portugal pissed about and Angola dug in well.

Not bad so far. Still plenty of time for it all to go wrong.

"last time we took Poland it took 39 days, this time we are going to do it in 90 minutes"

That's fantastic. But the Polish will definitely trouble the Germans, despite the inital loss.

The Dutch won me money, so hooray for them. Now its our turn. I'm going with a 2-1 win for the Aussies.

I'm worried that the Czechs "injury problems" are a bunch of bull.

If the US somehow wins against the Czechs or Italy, a ton of people will be left with egg on their faces. The US needs to arrive, and this is it's biggest opportunity. Everyone can watch these games, as opposed to 2002 when they were at 2 in the morning. If the Czech players are hurt, it wouldn't be the same as beating them with everyone healthy, because people will always have their excuses.

All I want is a draw.

Guest Vitamin X

Bad taste? That's funny as hell.

:lol: agreed.

I'm kinda pumped for that US/Czech Republic match tomorrow. That commercial about how the US is ranked 5th in the world and no one believes in them was cool enough that I had to put down $100 at 40/1 that they take the tournament down.

Australia are playing Wilkshire at Right Back? With us he's been a creative midfielder who's scared of getting "stuck in" and been left on the bench because of his "tackling skills"

Might work though, our 1st choice Right Back was also a CM before being moved.