TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CurryMan

World Cup 2006 in Germany

I will say the blitz of yellow cards is getting very irritating. Unfancied teams that don't have the depth of Argentina or Brazil will be hampered with unjust suspensions if they go further than expected.

We have bigger fish to fry.

Like a whole group of sports that the rest of the world doesn't know or care about?

Yeah, pretty much. Football and baseball are our games, and we like it that way. Tough shit; we don't need to validate our existence by beating Peru in a soccer game like you guys do. To most people, soccer is just what everyone wants 8-year-olds to play so that nobody can feel bad about losing, inasmuch as you only need to run up and down with everyone else to feign participation. Hockey has basically the same "chase the item around and get it in the goal" premise as soccer, but at least it has the element of good old Americanadian physicality, and even that's being ruined by all the Floppy McFakehurts coming into the sport from--you guessed it!--soccer countries. I watch a soccer match, and I'm not sure if it's an athletic competition or a tribute to the life and times of Curt Hennig. You bump into a guy and he flies halfway across the field, writhing in pain.

Art Sandusky - What's the point?

That Argentina game actually cheered me up a bit. England can be deeply dull and infuriating sometimes but we're too solid to ever get spanked like that, even on a bad day.

It's called 'staying positive'.

I will say the blitz of yellow cards is getting very irritating.

I'm just gonna run up the field here, see if I can maybe kick the ba OOHHHHH GOD YOU HURT ME OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD MY KNEE YOU MONSTER I HURT SO BAD

2:0 Holland at the moment. Sets up a good match against Argentina next week if they carry on this way.

Wait, so you can boot the ball into the crowd and the clock doesn't stop? What kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this?

Dude, stop trolling.

If you don't understand the rules, make a thread about it, if you don't like soccer, stay out of the thread, if you're just looking to wind people up, why?

The clock never stops, and the referee adds time on at the end based on his estimate of how much the ball wasn't in play.

If the Ivory Coast had a structured plan, they would be going through.

It's always struck me as odd that the timer goes up rather than down. It creates a bit of tension at the end of a half though, because you see the timer hit 45 and your team may only be up one goal and you're saying "Come on! End... now! ...now! ...now! come on, end!"

Wait, so you can boot the ball into the crowd and the clock doesn't stop? What kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this?

Okay. Cool it. You obviously are just trolling here, so I'm going to have to ask you either stop or leave this thread alone.

Guest Princess Leena
Cricket - it can be dull, (as can any sport, come on) but honestly, when it's good, it's my favourite sport to watch. Hard to explain, but the best moments of the last Ashes series (neutrals have agreed with me) were unmatched drama.

My biggest problem with cricket is that matches are way, WAY too long. I know there's different types of games and such... but, I usually see these all-day matches, and there's no way I'm watching that. The strategy and such is somewhat interesting, though.

Soccer just needs more scoring chances. There's too much dead time. And most of the time when there is a goal, it's because of a defensive breakdown, some 50/50 offside call, or total luck. A typical American sports fans thought on the sport, but I'm more open to foreign sports than most.

It's virtually accepted now that the low scoring is the reason Yanks don't like it. Fair enough, there's dumb reasons for me not liking American football, basically cos there's all that padding and it's such a ridiculously stop/start affair. With me appreciating the variables, stats and strategies that cricket generates, I inevitably see baseball as too simplistic & short, etc.

It's virtually accepted now that the low scoring is the reason Yanks don't like it. Fair enough, there's dumb reasons for me not liking American football, basically cos there's all that padding and it's such a ridiculously stop/start affair. With me appreciating the variables, stats and strategies that cricket generates, I inevitably see baseball as too simplistic & short, etc.

Football is start-stop, and it does get annoying. I see what you mean. Baseball probably has just as many stats as cricket, if not more, though.

Portugal still has issues with team chemistry, Cristiano Ronaldo looked amazing.

The US must give this game everything they've got.

Good Lord, even Ghana is doing better than the US at the World Cup with a goal against the Czechs inside of 75 seconds I think.

A ghana win here is probably the best result, as it means USA don't need to beat the Italians .