TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CurryMan

World Cup 2006 in Germany

Ukraine finally beats Switzerland after taking the penalty kicks 3-0. The game was a bit of a grind, admittedly, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the announcers were making it out to be.

It was worse than the announcers made it out to be. This is the kind of game that turns off new fans as both teams were playing for PK's midway through the 2nd half.

Basically all of Switzerland's shots were aimed directly at the goalie with only a modicum of force behind them. I've never seen such a lethargic set of penalty kicks in my life.

Let me guess, NGA, diving Italians cost the Socceroos the game?

I don't know if you were watching the same game as I was, but if you were, you'd know that Australia dominated the entire game in terms of posession, strategy, and implementation. The Italians were struggling from the get-go, we were starving them of posession and moving the ball well.

That was NOT a penalty.

Guest Felonies!

I only watched for like ten minutes, so I don't know who dominated what when how. I just know those Italians love to dive.

That they do. Saw a replay of the "foul" tonight, Lucas Neil's foot never made contact with his legs, Totti jumped and dove over him.

Sadly you never really looked like getting a goal, good effort though.

At Least you'll be at the next one with the move to Asian qualifying.

To be fair to the ref in the Italy/Aussie game, on the first replay I saw it looked like Neill went to ground and then lifted his arm up into the Italian's path.

Of course, he didn't...but for a moment it looked like it.

Guest Felonies!
Lucas Neil's foot never made contact with his legs, Totti jumped and dove over him.

IT'S THE BEAUTIFUL GAME!!!

Czech made me laugh. If "beautiful" means "look at the form on that dive, just amazing acting there, simply beautiful", then yeah. It seems like if you don't speak English, you can't tell the referee you were fouled, so you have to do a spectacular dive.

You can't get a penalty for obstruction, only a freekick. Australia were pretty unlucky, but I thought they could maybe have attacked the Italians a little more in the second half.

Brazil just swatted Ghana away without even playing well.

I'm really looking forward to France/Spain later. Hopefully it'll be an open, attacking game.

Oh yeah, I'm aware it's an indirect free kick. Theatricality still played it's part, just unecessary risk from Neill. I don't care for France, but it was great seeing Zidane finish the job.

Guest The Beta Male

holland vs portugal was the most entertaining game of football i`ve ever seen.

that match > vengeance.

How much of a chance do you guys think there is that the 2010 WC is going to stay in South Africa? From what I understand, it's one of the more dangerous places in the world.

I have a co-worker who just came back from South Africa. Her tour bus driver was stabbed on their trip, and about half the people had stuff stolen. She herself lost her camera, her passport and her plane tickets. Apparently, the cops didn't really give a shit when the thefts were reported.

I have some money saved for going there and am going to save more, but that's really what bugs me. I've heard some really bad stories, especially about Johannesburg. I don't think the WC will be held there if they can't fix the problems.

If I would have thought about it ahead of time, I would have went to Germany to watch the embarrassment that was Bruce Arena's coaching. Apparently, the contingency plan for WC 2010 is for it to be held in the US. At least that's what I've heard.

I'd like to see Ukraine go over Italy, next. First because of the bullshit against Australia, and second because every final four needs a dark horse (ex: Korea in '02 and Croatia in '98)

His lack of lineup changes, lack of formation change, his decision not to play more quality teams in favor of Latvia's and Jamaica's in friendlies, and his decision to not have the US play in Copa America twice, even though they've been invited.

The way I look at it is, there has to be a guy to get the program out of the shitter, then a guy to get the team truly competitive (Arena) and then a guy to get them to another level.