TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Gnarls Barkley

This is Ceelo (of Goodie Mob) teaming up with producer Dangermouse (MF Doom, Jay-Z's Grey Album). They got a MTV hit with "Crazy", but it's so fresh from what I'm used to hearing I checked out more tracks and I dig it. This is some good stuff and although me and Dangermouse had our disagreements, particularly about Jay-Z's Grey Album, I find he has aged remarkably well and produces a wonderful record. "Crazy", "I Try", and "Smiles" are standout tracks. Anybody else check these guys out?

They're massive in the UK at the moment, scoring simultaneous number ones on the album and singles chart. Crazy was the first single in the UK to reach the number one singles position on downloads alone, getting there before it was even released on CD.

Crazy has been played to death. I want to hear some of the other stuff off the album so I can make up my mind about them.

I've just listened to "I Try" I'm still left feeling unconvinced.

Guest CurryMan

There single Crasy is playing on all the radio stations here in Sweden and I do enjoy it. I have somehow gotten my hands on what seems to be the album but it doesn´t seem to have those songs that you are speaking of aka I try and smiles.

Picked it up a few days ago. It's quite fantastic.

this is correct. i had trouble with danger doom & such. all of these musical marriages are getting weak. but this one had a purpose. it was different. both stepped out of their comfort zone with this one. the name is for 15 year old skaterpunks. so that part is not genius. whenever i think of the word "gnarly" i think of blink 182. which is bad. though i did enjoy their self titled album. ha.

I'll get it when I havew the chance. From what I've heard from them, it's awesome.

I bought the album, and enjoyed it, but would by no means call it great. It does sort of get old at some points, but the best songs can be fantastic, and the "Country Death Song" cover is amusing.

It's a brief album and real hit or miss. The video for Crazy is a great play on the title; people not familiar with Cee-Lo may be a bit put off by it at first, but those who aren't will dig it.

whats danger mouse's best work?

I'd actually say the last Gorillaz album is his most polished, well rounded work. He seems to have a problem with consistency, because while he has 3-4 great tracks per record over an album it gets a bit bland.

If you're looking for something to listen to I'd reccomend The Grey Album. Not his best tunes, but his most clever and it has great replay value. Again, it's hit and miss but the best tracks (such as What More Can I Say/While My Guitar Gently Weeps) add to both the source materials.

i agree about the grey album. it sorta spawned a hideous rash of horrible mash-ups, though. its a very clever combination, where anyone with any discernable taste in music can absolutely jam to two of the best albums around.

and i can't even comment on the gorrilaz. i foolishly purchased their first album several years ago & hated it. i think albarn sorta fits into the same category as yorke where the voice usually disqualifies whatever is happening musically.

barkley may die a quick death. but upon the first listen, its totally different then what i had anticipated. this has been hyped for some time (so i hear) but i am out of the loop with most anything, so i am oblivious to any hype.

The Gorillaz second album is better than their first one. It's a lot more adult and has more variety, but I wouldn't neccessarily say you liked it if you didn't like the first one. It's worth a download if nothing else.

I'd say Gnarls Berkley is more a Cee-Lo than a Danger Mouse album. The best bits are his IMHO.

Bought it today. Big thumbs up. I think it's one of the best albums of the year.

I would say that Thom Yorke and Damon Albarn both have good voices: do you just find the somewhat whiney nature of them hard to swallow?

The Violent Femmes cover is on point, son. Really good album. Cee-Lo gets better every new project.

Agreed.

As does DangerMouse, for the most part.

Just got it...love it.

Only song I don't like is Gone Daddy Gone. The rest is on repeat

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I really like "Crazy" and I'm starting to like "Smiley Faces." I bought it and it's the shit.