TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kobe24KGold

ECW ONSII and Vengeance spoiler

Guest Heel Heat
"An email advertisement for the upcoming WWE Vengeance PPV listed the main-event as John Cena vs. Edge for the WWE Title"

So, RVD isn't winning the title.

Get the Swat team ready.

This is complete and utter bullshit.

Who said RVD is fighting Cena at ONS for the title? He isnt fueding with him, and since winning the $ in the bank match hes been buried in the midcard with all of the other IC contenders. As much as i cant stand Cena he has a lot more marketing appeal than RVD who has a dated look (from his early 90's im a metal guy that also likes bands like Primus and The Red Hot Chili Peppers hairdo, down to his airbrushed tights) his "high risk" style (thats almost every wrestler in TNA and ROH does with more fluidity) and sub par mic skills (where every program has to seem like a shoot on his position in the company, and the highlight is always the end, when he says his name).

In the 90's RVD was the shit, and he may have been a big part of the pro wrestling revolution, since then pro wrestling has evolved, but RVD hasnt, this is not the guy that they are going to put a title on, this is not a guy that they are going to have as the face of the company, and this is most certainly not a guy that is going to be a ratings draw. I had always figured that the most logical opponent for RVD at ECW would be Sabu, another ECW draw and main event, i see that selling ONS more than a match that everybody is most likely not expecting RVD to win.

"An email advertisement for the upcoming WWE Vengeance PPV listed the main-event as John Cena vs. Edge for the WWE Title"

Get the Swat team ready.

Who said RVD is fighting Cena at ONS for the title? He isnt fueding with him, and since winning the $ in the bank match hes been buried in the midcard with all of the other IC contenders. As much as i cant stand Cena he has a lot more marketing appeal than RVD who has a dated look (from his early 90's im a metal guy that also likes bands like Primus and The Red Hot Chili Peppers hairdo, down to his airbrushed tights) his "high risk" style (thats almost every wrestler in TNA and ROH does with more fluidity) and sub par mic skills (where every program has to seem like a shoot on his position in the company, and the highlight is always the end, when he says his name).

In the 90's RVD was the shit, and he may have been a big part of the pro wrestling revolution, since then pro wrestling has evolved, but RVD hasnt, this is not the guy that they are going to put a title on, this is not a guy that they are going to have as the face of the company, and this is most certainly not a guy that is going to be a ratings draw. I had always figured that the most logical opponent for RVD at ECW would be Sabu, another ECW draw and main event, i see that selling ONS more than a match that everybody is most likely not expecting RVD to win.

You expect alot of WWE fans to even know what Ring of Honor is? And casual WWE fans probably have no interest in watching TNA. That is why Rob Van Dam continues to be successful, he is the only person that WWE fans see that has a style completely different from every other superstar they watch on Monday and Friday nights.

If I wanted to put together an ECW card that would draw alot of interest, it would go a little something like this:

Jerry Lynn vs. Rob Van Dam

Little Guido vs. Super Crazy vs. Yoshihiro Tajiri

Masato Tanaka vs. Mike Awesome

Sabu vs. Taz

Matches that people already know have been great in the past and should be great once again.

Guest Heel Heat

Get the Swat team ready.

You expect alot of WWE fans to even know what Ring of Honor is? And casual WWE fans probably have no interest in watching TNA. That is why Rob Van Dam continues to be successful, he is the only person that WWE fans see that has a style completely different from every other superstar they watch on Monday and Friday nights.

If I wanted to put together an ECW card that would draw alot of interest, it would go a little something like this:

Jerry Lynn vs. Rob Van Dam

Little Guido vs. Super Crazy vs. Yoshihiro Tajiri

Masato Tanaka vs. Mike Awesome

Sabu vs. Taz

Matches that people already know have been great in the past and should be great once again.

Im not expecting anything from WWE fans concerning ROH and TNA, my point is that RVD's style has played itself out a long time ago, and it isnt anything that the WWE could bank on, if they could they could sign a variety of guys from either of these 2 feds, even in the WWE you got guys like Shane doing the supposedly impossible Van Terminator, and you had Jeff Hardy taking those kind of bumps in the WWE to little success in the long run.

I fail to see RVD's current success as an impressive run, hes revered by mgmt. in a company that hes toiled 5 years in and the pinnacle of his tenure there may be his current upper midcard status, one that weve seen him in before, i think his in ring work is sloppy, his strikes and kicks look ineffective, and he shows a complete lack of wrestling moves and submissions, his highlight reel has more to do with his muscular flexibilty and dexterity than actual wrestling.

I do however like your ECW lineup, especially Awesome/Tanaka 3.

What part of "Any ONS idea involving RVD doing the job is a BAD IDEA" do you guys not understand?

Any way you look at it jobbing him there is fucking retarded. You cannot restart a promotion and base it around a guy who just jobbed in the biggest match of his life. How the hell would he be screwed anyway? The match is HIS choice, whenever he wants it, and it would be in his environment, with his rules. Christ, if he can't win the belt in those circumstances he's a total loser...so why would I want to see this guy headline a "new" promotion? I fail to see how you could do a screwjob in that environment....if anyone was in a position to be screwed it'd be RVD's opponent.

Heel Heat, your thoughts might be accurate if they were planning on RVD being the face of WWE, but they aren't planning that. He has to be the face of ECW. And while they may eventually get around to jobbing the ECW talent to the WWE guys to make them look ineffectual, you can't do that to begin. Shit, even the Alliance got the initial win in the Invasion main event.

I've got news about this: EVERYONE would be ordering that PPV with the full expectation that RVD would kick the everloving shit out of John Cena. There is literally no believable way Cena could win that match. You have to realize this is not the watered WWE RVD he'd be facing, but instead the ECW RVD that was absolutely unstoppable and damn near unbeatable at his peak. I'm sorry, but there is no way anyone would buy it. I don't care if Cena FU's RVD through a table, there is no way John Cena could beat RVD in an ECW match.

I also read an RVD interview where he basically said Heyman has full control over the ECW PPV (with Vince nominally being backstage). Do you seriously think Heyman is going to book his boy to job or make him look weak in some way?

The more I think on it, the more I am liking HTQ's idea. There will likely be 2 refs, the WWE ref and an ECW ref on the main event. The WWE ref will get taken out, so the ECW ref will end up making the 3 count. The crowd will be happy, and then the next night Vince will do the Dusty Finish and that sets up the ECW split nicely with Heyman recognizing RVD as his world champ.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that, which is why I like the idea of RVD winning and then Vince stripping him of the title the next night.

I like the idea of an ECW ref counting the 3 after a WWE ref bump. ONSII could end with RVD holding up the title with ECW guys celebrating. Kind of like the end of WM10 with Bret Hart. Then, the following night on RAW RVD brings out the ECW guys for a celebration, only to be interrupted by Vince who strips him of the title in front of RVD's peers. The rest can write itself.

There's no real solid way to book this ECW split. The best way to do the actual split is for RVD to win the title and have a stip where ECW gets its independence if he wins. That's the best thing to do, and even then I'm not sure how casual fans are supposed to understand a guy not wanting to be WWE champion and instead wanting to relive being top guy in a defunct league.

Let's say Vince strips RVD of the title. What then? The ECW guys just declare independence and run off? This makes them (RVD in particular) look like wimps who won't stick it to Vince for such a biased decision. I suppose there can be a big 10 man tag match on that same Raw though. RVD, Heyman, etc. can say something like "Hey, if you're going to screw us like this, we want out to form ECW again. Give us your best 5 guys and we'll take them on for ECW's future."

Obviously ECW takes advantage of a contentious WWE team with HHH/Edge/Cena and those guys not getting along.

A little off topic, I suppose, but they HAVE to have RVD come out to "Walk" by Pantera instead of the crappy WWE theme he has. Visually, it would be tremendous on TV and if they paid big bucks for Undertaker coming out to multiple Limp Bizkit songs when they were at their hottest, they surely can spend a little money to play a song by a band that's been defunct for 4 or 5 years.

A little point, but it would go a long way in my opinion.

There's no real solid way to book this ECW split. The best way to do the actual split is for RVD to win the title and have a stip where ECW gets its independence if he wins. That's the best thing to do, and even then I'm not sure how casual fans are supposed to understand a guy not wanting to be WWE champion and instead wanting to relive being top guy in a defunct league.

Let's say Vince strips RVD of the title. What then? The ECW guys just declare independence and run off? This makes them (RVD in particular) look like wimps who won't stick it to Vince for such a biased decision. I suppose there can be a big 10 man tag match on that same Raw though. RVD, Heyman, etc. can say something like "Hey, if you're going to screw us like this, we want out to form ECW again. Give us your best 5 guys and we'll take them on for ECW's future."

Obviously ECW takes advantage of a contentious WWE team with HHH/Edge/Cena and those guys not getting along.

I can only think of one situation where any of this works. In every screwjob option, ECW comes out looking bad. They should have RVD win it and defend it the next night on RAW, Vince tries the screwjob by having a member of the spirit squad as the special guest ref. But just as he's about to make a three count on RVD after tons of Squad interference, the member stops at 2 and Heyman just smiles at Vince. Vince gets to do his wide eyed "what the hell" look. ECW rushes from the crowd, lays out the other members of the squad. RVD battles back, the squad member who turns ECW lays out Cena allowing RVD to hit the five star for the win.

Heyman tells Vince he'll NEVER get the belt off RVD, that they will always be a step ahead of him this time around. The belt belongs to Paul Heyman and the members of ECW. So they offer Vince a deal, either they can take the belt and Vince can keep trying and failing to take it from RVD OR they will give him the belt if Vince gives total control of ECW to Paul Heyman.

RVD looks great, Cena comes out just fine, ECW looks like the renegade promotion that is damn near unstoppable, and the belt doesn't get chumped out.

That is the ONLY way I can think of everyone coming out like roses.

I can only think of one situation where any of this works. In every screwjob option, ECW comes out looking bad. They should have RVD win it and defend it the next night on RAW, Vince tries the screwjob by having a member of the spirit squad as the special guest ref. But just as he's about to make a three count on RVD after tons of Squad interference, the member stops at 2 and Heyman just smiles at Vince. Vince gets to do his wide eyed "what the hell" look. ECW rushes from the crowd, lays out the other members of the squad. RVD battles back, the squad member who turns ECW lays out Cena allowing RVD to hit the five star for the win.

Heyman tells Vince he'll NEVER get the belt off RVD, that they will always be a step ahead of him this time around. The belt belongs to Paul Heyman and the members of ECW. So they offer Vince a deal, either they can take the belt and Vince can keep trying and failing to take it from RVD OR they will give him the belt if Vince gives total control of ECW to Paul Heyman.

RVD looks great, Cena comes out just fine, ECW looks like the renegade promotion that is damn near unstoppable, and the belt doesn't get chumped out.

That is the ONLY way I can think of everyone coming out like roses.

I dig that. I dig it a lot actually. ECW has to do something that 'one ups' McMahon, otherwise it will be a stale Invasion angle again. I do think that tomorrow's show is going to be interesting, and seeing as I have cable now... I'll be able to watch it instead of trying to figure out what is going on by reading the RAW threads.

I really want this ECW angle to work. I want it to work probably more than anyone else. ECW is what really got me into wrestling again, and I hope that it will get me back into it.

Good thing ECW is coming back, or RVD would stay a mid-carder where he belongs and you guys would bitch, bitch, bitch.

Oh, wait...

but I would much rather see a Jerry Lynn / Rob Van Dam spotfest over a Chris Benoit / Kurt Angle match any day of the week.

Wow.

It depends on the Angle/Benoit match. I never cared much for most of the 2001 series of matches they had, with the possible exception of the WM 17 outing. Now stuff like RR 2003? That's a different story.

Personally I find the best of each rivalry (Angle/Benoit, RVD/Lynn) to be must viewing for any wrestling fan.

Guest Evolution

Getting back on topic, I refuse to believe spoilers such as this after the Backlash promo during WM.

That's too bad reading this news. I was actually looking forward to Cena / HHH HIAC or Flair headlining a PPV in his hometown. I don't mind the change. I'm actually more interested in RVD / JBL than RVD / Cena.

What's the difference between 2002 RVD and 2006 RVD?

He was WAY more over 4 years ago.

As it is does it really matter? How is RVD as Champion going to improve things? I don't see it.

Because maybe Vince finally realized that Cena as a face world champion was a failure and wants to give the title to somebody fans truly want to see have. Plus Angle and Mysterio are hurt so RVD on Smackdown would help with starpower.

From WWE's online newsletter:

Vengeance_320x438.gif

This confirms it.

That poster looks shit and why are they spoiling the surprises, it sucks.

Probably because they want people to actually BUY the PPV.

Anyways, it's funny how they DX logo totally obscures edge's face.

There is one critical thing here that you guys don't seem to grasp: Rob Van Dam isn't going to move to SD. He isn't going to be the champ on Raw. He is going to be in the new ECW.

I personally want the RVD/JBL scenario too, mainly because I don't think RVD vs. Cena makes a lick of sense. Sure, Cena would get nearly lynched at the PPV, but what about the shows leading to it? If anything the crowds would be highly confused, since Cena wrestling on an ECW PPV makes no sense. He has no history against ECW, and since he's still technically a face it'd come off truly bizarre if he suddenly started trashing ECW and RVD.

I'd go with the JBL idea. Aside from the fact that RVD isn't on SD currently the rest of it would be solid. JBL can beat Rey for the title, then it's easy enough to say RVD can cash in his shot against either champion. In fact on the Power 25 this week it pondered "When will RVD cash in his WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP opportunity?" That seems to suggest he can cash it in against either guy.

With the heat that JBL got last year with ECW, I think an RVD/JBL match would be spot on. The fans would give JBL much more heat than Cena just because of the promos and the shot that JBL took at ECW.

The only question I have is... If RVD wins the title, what happens to Smackdowns! championship?

Guest BarnacleBill
Because maybe Vince finally realized that Cena as a face world champion was a failure and wants to give the title to somebody fans truly want to see have. Plus Angle and Mysterio are hurt so RVD on Smackdown would help with starpower.

I don't care for Cena But I don't get how you could say he's a failure as champ...He's their top merchandise Seller and he's mere presence creates insane crowd heat.

I think the idea of Cena being a failure stems from the notion that your top face shouldn't be getting booed out of the building. And to be honest, Cena isn't THAT big of a draw. Not enough to justify the ludicrously long title push he's had. His run has been about as long as Austin's 1998-99 run from WM 14 to Summerslam 99. Except with Austin he was screwed out of the title a few times, took time off, others held the title during that period (Kane, Rock, Mankind).

I've watched Cena's MEs more recently than in the past, mainly because of the insane heat. I'm guessing that's gonna die off now though.

It'd be interesting if Vince actually goes for shades of grey in his booking from now on bearing in mind the reaction Cena and HHH have got.

I don't care for Cena But I don't get how you could say he's a failure as champ...He's their top merchandise Seller and he's mere presence creates insane crowd heat.

I think the idea of Cena being a failure stems from the notion that your top face shouldn't be getting booed out of the building.

Exactly.

Guest Eric the Eagle
I think the idea of Cena being a failure stems from the notion that your top face shouldn't be getting booed out of the building.

I would, actuall, rather argue that he is a failure as a top face, rather than a failure as a champ, actually.

ECW ONS 2 Poster

w00302X.JPG

Not horrible, but kind of bland. With what, three weeks to go until the PPV, I think it is about time for RVD to make the official announcement on RAW tonight that he is cashing in the MITB at ONS II, that way there is at least the next two weeks to build for the Main Event. I mean up to now, RVD and Cena had what, a 2-second kind of stare, and that's it. They need to build for this.