TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Crud. Sonic Youth

Well, everyone knows they're my favorite band, ever. Along with the Velvet Underground.

The new album, which you can stream (and I did) in its entirety sorta... sucks. Well it doesn't suck but it sounds like half of Murray Street and Sonic Nurse. The reason I loved Sonic Youth were they had crazy unique chords, that I hadn't heard. I don't mind their hippy sensibility at all. Rain On Tin Kills. It just Kills. And they repeated themselves just once, if at all.

Rather Ripped? A lot like Cromulantly Crappy.

Not that it's bad. Kim's toned it down for years, and she;s actually the best part of the album, vocally. but the good songs sound like weak spectres of Murray Street and Sonic Nurse. So, So, Dissappointed.

I wouldn't say it's a bad album, really - just disappointing. As you said.

But I've only listened to it once so far, so I can't really make many judgments. I wasn't too impressed the first time around, mainly because it was just Sonic Nurse Pt. 2, but I have a feeling that it could end up growing on me.

I like Rather Ripped. Okay, it does contain their worst song since NYC Ghosts & Flowers (that's "Lights Out," if you're curious), but SY have acquired a good, solid formula over the last few albums. Yes, it is a formula, but they know how to work it. And not only is this the third good Sonic Youth album in a row—a feat they haven't pulled off since the 80s—it's also the third Sonic Youth album in a row where I didn't want to headbutt Kim Gordon in the ovaries. Cheers.

It's grown on me. I think initially it just sounded to similar to Sonic Nurse, which was disappointing, because one of the things I really like about SY is they really don't repeat themselves. If this had come out first, I probably would have been disappointed with Nurse.

it's also the third Sonic Youth album in a row where I didn't want to headbutt Kim Gordon in the ovaries. Cheers.

Yeah, the first track on the album is insanely catchy. For a while there I thought she was going to ruin the band. On Thousand Leaves ever song she does is just torture, and every other song I like quite a bit.

Boys go to JUPITER get more Get more STUPIDER!

Girls go to MARS become rock STARS!

Fuck me was that bad.

Even more, the Kim Gordon tracks, on average are the best ones. :0

I really like the album, now. I should learn, Sonic Nurse and Washing Machine and Rather Ripped I disliked, then grew to love. You'd think I'd learn, since they're my favorite band.

This album is pretty lyrically dissapointing from Thurston's standpoint.

I HATED "Sleeping around" the first time I heard it, thought it was the worst song on the album, but it's because the lyrics suck. The guitar work is pretty cool. Plus it comes after the first three tracks, which I love.

The first three tracks are terrific. Track five is catchy as hell, the next three are pretty good, lights out is bad, Pink Steam is really good, then the closer which is just fine, but I don't like nearly as much as their most recent closers.

Overall, I'm just impatient with my favorite band. You have to listen a couple times to open yourself to the guitars. And this album has some sparkiling, pretty guitar riffs. Maybe a bit close to the last two albums, but that is certainly not a bad thing.

You know, I think you're right, at least since Daydream, which had Intro to Teen-Age (crtics be damned, I love that intro.) The Sprawl, Kissability, and Eliminator Jr. But on that album everyone else was just as good.

Rather Ripped, every Kim track is good. I was a bit disappointed with Lee's track, buit it wasn't bad. Surprisingly Thurston is getting weak on his lyrics, but he can still play guitar like a motherfuck.

Kim surprisingly hasn't had a bad track since NYC Ghosts, besides the &*%^7 and hand cream song, which everyone loves except for me. I hate that song.

EDIT: I don't think anyone likes Waching Machine besides me. (Well everyone with a bit of taste loved Diamond Sea)