TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Wiiiiii!!!!

Listen to the Penny Arcade podcast, the last one, it's all about the Wii, and if you can't get behind the name after hearing how they figure it out, nothing will convince ya

They're actually calling it the fucking Wii?!! You gotta be kidding me. That HAS to be the most ridiculous name for a console EVER. They should have stuck with the Revolution name. At least that sounds better.

The boys at Penny Arcades slant.

20060428.jpg

I guess this can be the Wii thread for now.

Ubi has strong Wii support in the works.

We already knew about Red Steel and new Rayman, but...

1up reports (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152629) "Far Cry, Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII, Monster 4x4 World Circuit, Open Season and GT Pro Series" are also coming. Okay, the 4x4 thing I could care less about, but a solid racer coming onto the system that isn't Mario based is great news.

However, a Ubisoft France press release has announced Wii is getting (in 2007) a PRINCE OF PERSIA game on Wii!!

If I wasn't buying one already I'd be getting one now.

Nintendo is clamming up about it until September.

All we have to go on now is "by Thanksgiving" and "under $250 USD."

I call November 5th for $200.

MK Armaggeddon is also coming to Wii. As someone who doesn't have a PS2 or Xbox, but plans on getting a Wii, that's pretty nice.

Guest wildpegasus

Do you have an option of playing games the normal way with a joystick without swinging your arms through the air and all that? If that's the only option available than that's going to be a turnoff.

I'm thinking Nintendo continues to copy Apple's marketing and goes for a surprise worldwide launch after Spaceworld next month. The tech is just updated Gamecube graphics, it doesn't need much more refining or work. The controller is operational. The only thing I'm unsure about is the Virtual Console, since Nintendo's never done anything like it.

The other day, IGN had an article about Nintendo debuting some new games at another convention and said one would be particular pleasing for fans. Any speculation?

Do you have an option of playing games the normal way with a joystick without swinging your arms through the air and all that? If that's the only option available than that's going to be a turnoff.

Smash Bros. Brawl will use the classic set-up. Others will only use the Wii as it's intended, like Super Mario Galaxy, I believe. Some will surely have the option of both schemes (or in the case of GCN Twilight Princess, playable on the Wii and Wii Twilight Princess, two different versions, though it's unknown if the Wii version will have another scheme available).

The other day, IGN had an article about Nintendo debuting some new games at another convention and said one would be particular pleasing for fans. Any speculation?

An official Kid Icarus announcement? A real Donkey Kong game? Otherwise, I don't know.

Plenty of games will use 'traditional' controls. Either the "shell" controller (which apparently is a completely separate controller) or the Gamecube controller (which is confirmed to work with Smash Brawl) will do the job.

Joystiq says Twiilight Princess will use the traditional controls if you prefer, and the wiimote is only an option, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

November 21 I doubt. It's a Tuesday, and Nintendo is apparently going with Sunday (ship dates) for many of their major releases. Plus, November 14th/15 is the rumored PS3 street date. Nintendo would be lost in the mix if they launched last. I think even November 5 is a bit later than they should go for.

Yeah I like the idea of this. The PS3 sounds absurdly expensive.

I really don't want to buy any system until they've all been out for a while. Then I'll decide what I want.

What he said.

Can you say $299?

7-11 in conjunction with Nintendo apparently will have a new contest

beginning November 1 where the prizes include free Wii consoles. Why this

matters is that according to the official rules, the Wii is valued at

$299.99 USD, $399.99 Canadian. The price would have had to come directly

come from Nintendo because they're in partnership with 7-11.

Looks like Nintendo may have decided to take advantage of the PS3 price

being so high and not sell for $250 or less. According to Gamespot, the

console coming bundled with a game accounting for the extra $50 isn't likely

because a game is not mentioned as one of the prizes. The other prizes

values, like a $69 iPod Shuffle are correct in the rules so this is either

one massive error or Nintendo's going to pull a surprise.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24867981&sid=6155289 ://http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...mp;sid=6155289 ://http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...mp;sid=6155289 ://http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...mp;sid=6155289

All I can say is its the first of the final nails in the coffin for Nintendo in the home console business (lets face it, they will continue churning out portables for a long time to come) if they go at $299 for an overclocked Gamecube. My guess is $299 is a bundle they'll offer with controller accessories and maybe free VC downloads if its not an actual bundled game. It would probably be smart actually to bundle free VC downloads instead of actual games anyway.

I would pay $299 for a Wii. Calling it an "overclocked Gamecube" is a ridiculous statement. In terms of graphics, sure, but who gives a shit about graphics? Wii games will play like nothing we've ever played before. I hope, anyway.

but who gives a shit about graphics?

Every market but Japan.

As it is, the Wii is going to get less attractive to the US market once HD TVs spread to more homes. Plus 2009 is the cutoff for analog signals to be broadcast.

It won't be $299 for a core. I'll tell you that much.

And are any of the other prizes yet to hit the market yet? No.

ARV = *Approximate* Retail Value.

2 SKUs wouldn't shock me, if the 2nd one included something extra like 2 wiimotes and the already-mentioned VC bonuses.

Is the Wii 480p? That is HD, just not very good HD.

Taking Mole to HD School!

480P isn't HD at all.

480i = standard definition

480p = enhanced defiition

720p/1080i/1080p = High Definition

Enhanced Definition is essentially current DVD resolution with a Progressive Scan capable DVD player. They sell used to sell EDTV Plasmas for about 500-1000 cheaper than regular plasmas to suckers who don't understand all the technical jargon but now they're pretty much off the market cause they were worthless.

The gamecube was able to do 480p if you were lucky to get the cables that they dont sell anymore. Of course I would have appreciated HDTV compatibility in the W!!, but Nintendo is stubborn and honestly I dont see what good making the W!! HD Capable would do if the graphics aren't going to be a major improvement over the Gamecube.

As it is, the Wii is going to get less attractive to the US market once HD TVs spread to more homes. Plus 2009 is the cutoff for analog signals to be broadcast.

I don't get why so many people confuse this. Analog signal broadcasting has absoulutely nothing to do with HD tvs. Once over-the-air analog is stoped, you are still going to be able to watch regular cable on a regular old tv. The government stopping the analog over-the-airs DOES NOT mean that tv is all of a sudden switching to High Def.

I'm sorry but it is absolutley inexcusable to not have hi-def capabilites. It's the standard on Xbox 360 and will be on the Ps3 as well. Just mindboggling how far Nintendo is behind on the times.

No matter how good this system can be, the lack of true HD support will be a big big problem.

Is the Wii 480p? That is HD, just not very good HD.

Taking Mole to HD School!

480P isn't HD at all.

480i = standard definition

480p = enhanced defiition

720p/1080i/1080p = High Definition

Enhanced Definition is essentially current DVD resolution with a Progressive Scan capable DVD player. They sell used to sell EDTV Plasmas for about 500-1000 cheaper than regular plasmas to suckers who don't understand all the technical jargon but now they're pretty much off the market cause they were worthless.

The gamecube was able to do 480p if you were lucky to get the cables that they dont sell anymore. Of course I would have appreciated HDTV compatibility in the W!!, but Nintendo is stubborn and honestly I dont see what good making the W!! HD Capable would do if the graphics aren't going to be a major improvement over the Gamecube.

Hmm, someone at the AVS forums lied to me then.

The question is--will it sell well outside of Japan?

Ubisoft North America confirmed the "rumored" Prince of Persia game on Wii, but there's no other details.

So, they're selling one to me. :)

Oh fuck all that HD480P whatever the fuck bullshit.

This will sell because it's Nintendo, no matter what.

I disagree.

The Gamecube was a failure here in the states, it sold well in Japan though. Nintendo is just behind everyone else, I'm not saying it will bomb, but Nintendo needs to get with the times.

Not having a hi-def standard is just inexcusable these days.

who fucking cares?

This isn't real life, these are videogames.

Everything is rendered anyways.

You'd take the PS3's HD nothing over W!!'s announced and displayed and innovative games?