TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Wiiiiii!!!!

Oh, another thing is how will this sucker take discs? My friend seems to think it's like a car stereo, whereas I was expecting a tray

Are you talking about this quote:

(MasterThrasher @ Aug 10 2006, 05:38 PM)

"I have a question similiar to this. DVD's carry a 480i signal right. On another message board, someone wrote that the Xbox 360 upscales games to 720p/1020i because only HD-DVD's and Blu Ray discs store actual 720p/1020i.

I think his assumption is wrong but I could be wrong."

The person on that message board has no idea what they are talking about.

Xbox360 games (excluding Gotham) render natively at a minimum of 720p. Some games will render natively in 1080i as well.

The only scaling the 360 does is scale that original game resolution (720p in most cases) to whatever your selected output resolution is ... if you selected 1080i it will scale 720p to 1080i. With games that natively render in 1080i as well it wont need to scale to 1080i.

Are you talking about this quote:

(MasterThrasher @ Aug 10 2006, 05:38 PM)

"I have a question similiar to this. DVD's carry a 480i signal right. On another message board, someone wrote that the Xbox 360 upscales games to 720p/1020i because only HD-DVD's and Blu Ray discs store actual 720p/1020i.

I think his assumption is wrong but I could be wrong."

The person on that message board has no idea what they are talking about.

Xbox360 games (excluding Gotham) render natively at a minimum of 720p. Some games will render natively in 1080i as well.

The only scaling the 360 does is scale that original game resolution (720p in most cases) to whatever your selected output resolution is ... if you selected 1080i it will scale 720p to 1080i. With games that natively render in 1080i as well it wont need to scale to 1080i.

Mole's wrong again. Honestly I didnt know that about the 360 myself though so I guess I shouldn't be saying anything. Theres obviously a difference between storing film on a disc and storing game information thats rendered by a CPU.

http://www.nwizard.com/web/index.php?optio...45&Itemid=2

Wii launch title lineup:

Avatar: The Last Airbender - THQ

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - Ubisoft

Blitz: The League - Midway

Call of Duty 3 - tivision

Cars - THQ

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - Atari

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors -Square Enix

Elebits - Konami

Excite Truck - Nintendo

Far Cry - Ubisoft

GT Pro Series - Ubisoft

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - Square Enix

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nintendo

Madden NFL 07 - EA

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision

Metal Slug Anthology - SNK

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Nintendo

Monster 4x4 World Circuit - Ubisoft

Need for Speed: Carbon - EA

Open Season - Ubisoft

Rayman Raving Rabbids - Ubisoft

Red Steel - Ubisoft

SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab - THQ

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - Sega

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam - Activision

Trauma Center: Second Opinion - Atlus

Wii Sports - Nintendo

Metal Slug, Metroid, Zelda, Rayman, maybe one of those SquEnix titles will be good. Ouch in the wallet bigtime....

Per usual, no Smash Bros just yet, though.

Although it looks like Wii is going to also get a lot of rushed 3P port jobs.

Licsensed shovelware, ports and sequels. That's so innovative and revolutionary. Nintendo was right, the bounderies of gaming have been broken. Nothing will ever be the same.

Licsensed shovelware, ports and sequels. That's so innovative and revolutionary. Nintendo was right, the bounderies of gaming have been broken. Nothing will ever be the same.

Excite Truck, Wii Sports, and Red Steel (assuming they're all good) have that covered, nevermind the interesting titles that happen to be sequels of something. How's WARHAWK 2, GENJI 2, and KILLZONE 2 looking, btw?

The DS had a horrible launch lineup. Everyone expects Nintendo to trot out their franchises, just with new gameplay. The innovative, quirky titles are best left until it's established.

Crab game doesn't make for an excting launch either. One launch being weak doesn't excuse the other. Don't assume because I say something negative about Wii that I support something else.

Nintendo's rhetoric for the past year has been nothing but hype about how everything is different now not "ok we'll launch with the same old same old and then uh, the real stuff comes later....just wait!".

The fact that people are actually excited about this lineup just shows my point that all the talk about innovation from fans doesn't really matter, everyone just wants a new Nintendo system. Which is fine but just SAY SO instead of repeating Nintendo's PR. You can't talk about how gaming isn't original anymore and you need Wii because it's so different and then get excited about Metroid Prime 3 and SSB 3.

the price point and the controller are the selling points for me...plus I have kids (well only one of them is old enough to play games) so the kid friendly games are another selling point.

looks like kind of a lacklaster launch to me. Zelda and maybe Wii Sports just for the novelty are the only ones that would interest me.

To be honest, the chance to play mario 64, and the past zelda games, via virtual console, is more interesting to me than the majority of the launch games.

what is Wii FF crystal chronicles supposed to be like? I love the ps1/2 FF games but i've heard the CC games were a completely different beast and kinda sucky.

To be honest, the chance to play mario 64, and the past zelda games, via virtual console, is more interesting to me than the majority of the launch games.

oops, a selling point I forgot to mention! good call, metr0

No one's even the least bit excited about a new Dragon Quest? I'm definitely getting that at launch along with Zelda, which alone should occupy my time for at least a month.

oops, a selling point I forgot to mention! good call, metr0

That along with a new Dragon Quest game, like El Luchadore Magnifico mentioned, have me wanting this system.

I like the fact that Nintendo have actually had a wide variety of launch titles and ports instead of jsut their own games. I think it could be a good selling point. It's like will I play Madden the same way I always played it, or will I get it on a cheaper console in which I have a complete new way and style of playing it, and I can actually simulate throwing the ball.

Crab game doesn't make for an excting launch either. One launch being weak doesn't excuse the other. Don't assume because I say something negative about Wii that I support something else.

Fair enough, you proud 360 owner.

By this point I don't even think about what the companies say. I put on my automatic BS filters and assume that most of their promises are BS. I do want a new Nintendo console, but I know the gameplay styles are going to see more change in them than the actual IPs. Almost all of Sony's 1st party stuff are sequels.

However, Nintendo's 1st party stuff are almost all going to play differently. So if you want to boil it down to "just a different controller," so be it.

The fact that people are actually excited about this lineup just shows my point that all the talk about innovation from fans doesn't really matter, everyone just wants a new Nintendo system. Which is fine but just SAY SO instead of repeating Nintendo's PR. You can't talk about how gaming isn't original anymore and you need Wii because it's so different and then get excited about Metroid Prime 3 and SSB 3.

Nobody here has. But the potential here is amazing, and we already have seen demonstrations on how Zelda, Prime 3, etc are going to play. We've seen Smooth Moves and Wii Sports being played and are definitely interested. We know a lot of stuff is going to be gussied up with Mario, though. Brand innovation often is different than gameplay innovation, though. SMB, SMB2, SMB3, Super Mario 64, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Smash Bros--all innovative gameplaywise (some even revolutionary in their design), but have the same central character. If you think Nintendo is betraying their promises by having way more Mario/Samus/Zelda than they do unique new IPs, that's fair--but they never specified that. Of course you're not interested in them anyway.

what is Wii FF crystal chronicles supposed to be like? I love the ps1/2 FF games but i've heard the CC games were a completely different beast and kinda sucky.

Wii Crystal Chronicles is just a blip on a release chart now. Nobody knows the gameplay for sure. However, the GC game was crippled by the necessity of multiple players, each with GBAs, to make it worthwhile.

CC is just a bone tossed to Nintendo by Squeenix, who are saving the "real" FFs for Sony, while using the opportunity to churn out ports of the old FF games. Ironically, the most interesting Squeenix games I'm seeing coming are all on DS--Mario Hoops and the Zelda-riffic Dragon Quest Monsters: Rocket Slime. Some of you might care about the severely-overhauled Final Fantasy IIIj, too.

No one's even the least bit excited about a new Dragon Quest? I'm definitely getting that at launch along with Zelda, which alone should occupy my time for at least a month.

It's not "Dragon Quest" Dragon Quest. It's a Dragon Quest IP. It's not DQIX--that's all but a lock for PS3. Now, that could be a good thing (give me Rocket Slime any day over the archaic, stodgy DQVIII), but don't pretend it is a "real" Dragon Quest if that's what you want. I don't know the gameplay on that one, either.

I just like the fact that theres some 3rd party support for the W!! even if most of the 3rd party games will be lame ports of games that wont utilize the controller to its full potential if at all. Given time though that will change.

ExciteTruck is basically Excitebike-bikes+trucks (duh). It sorta sounds interesting but not anything amazing I dont think.

As far as I can tell, the Dragon Quest for Wii is basically a hack 'n slash using the controller as a sword, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Not in the mood to start an argument regarding VIII at the moment. :P

Nintendo confirmed a Mario Strikers sequel and Battalion Wars 2 today for Wii. Given that Battalion Wars was a spectacular bomb in sales, I don't really know why they're doing this, but hey, I guess it works for some people.

I saw on Joystiq: No 3rd party games will support Wi-Fi until next year which means all the launch games like COD3 and Madden2007 wont have any wi-fi support.

I dont care though cause I dont have broadband/fast enough connection to play games on.

There's no real "positive" way to spin that. It's a big mistake; it isn't just that there's no 3P online games this year, but Nintendo isn't sharing the code to let it happen.

Of course, that's a matter of months, really. I personally don't care, but its Nintendo that suffers, not the 3Ps.