TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

Official Judgement Day Thread

Guest wildpegasus

May as well start up the official Judgement Day thread on the heel of the announcement that Benoit vs Finlay is on baby!!!!!!!!!!

I say we just drop the rest of the card and just let Benoit and Finlay fight it out for three hours straight.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/judgmentday/benoitvsfinlay

A good ol' fashioned fight added to Judgment Day

By Ed Williams III

May 15, 2006

His name is Finlay, and he likes to fight. But so does Chris Benoit. And they will get the opportunity to show just how much they love to fight this Sunday, live on pay per view at Judgment Day.

SmackDown announcer Michael Cole hosted the Judgment Day pres conference, which was shown live on WWE.com, and opened the event by telling the fans about the brand new match. And his first guest was none other than former World Heavyweight Champion Chris Benoit.

Just two weeks ago, it was Finlay who cost Benoit an opportunity to advance in the King of the Ring tournament. They met in an opening round match, and the fighting Irishman resorted to underhanded tactics to pick up the victory. With the referee distracted, Finlay used a steel chair to jab Benoit in the throat. With Benoit gasping for air, Finlay hit him with his signature Celtic Cross and picked up the win. It’s an incident Benoit has not forgotten.

Actually, Benoit has vowed that he will make Finlay tap out to the Crossface.

“Finlay will find out that the Crossface is for now, forever and for real,” Benoit said at the press conference.

These Superstars share very similar styles and are considered two of the best brawlers in sports-entertainment history. Their intensity is matched only by each other, so it’s no surprise that the history between these Superstars goes back much further than their King of the Ring match a couple of weeks ago.

In fact, the two had several memorable clashes during their days in WCW over the Television Championship. Finlay successfully defended his WCW Television Championship against Benoit at Slamboree in 1998.

The rivalry resurfaced on SmackDown back in February, and it has gotten more and more violent with every altercation. On the Feb. 3 edition of SmackDown, Booker T chose Finlay as a replacement in his Best of Seven Series for the United States Championship. After battling it out tooth and nail, Finlay was disqualified when Sharmell interfered. Ironically, it was Booker T whom Finlay defeated to become the Television Champion in WCW. Booker T managed to reclaim the gold from Finlay about a month later.

Over the next few weeks they found themselves on opposite sides of tag team matches, with each Sueprstar earning a victory. But during their WWE rivalry, they are 1-1 in singles competition.

Who will win this rubber match at Judgment Day? Can Chris Benoit fulfill his promise, and make Finlay tap out? Or will Finlay make it two in a row over the Rabid Wolverine? Find out this Sunday at 8/7 CT on pay-per-view at Judgment Day.

Plus more

World Heavyweight Champion Rey Mysterio vs. United States Champion JBL

King of the Ring Tournament Final

WWE Tag Team Champions MNM vs. Paul London & Brian Kendrick

Undertaker vs. The Great Khali

Kurt Angle vs. Mark Henry

Cruiserweight Champion Gregory Helms vs. Super Crazy

Melina vs. Jillian

Right now, I'm planning on ordering. Benoit-Finlay and the Tag Title match should be good. JBL-Rey, based on their previous matches, could be decent, as could the Cruiser match given time.

They've given the Tag Title feud a segment on each show since WM, so I'm really hoping that means the match will get more than 10 minutes.

Right now, I'm planning on ordering. Benoit-Finlay and the Tag Title match should be good. JBL-Rey, based on their previous matches, could be decent, as could the Cruiser match given time.

They've given the Tag Title feud a segment on each show since WM, so I'm really hoping that means the match will get more than 10 minutes.

Sure.

It'll get 10 minutes, 2 seconds. ^_-

Pretty solid looking card overall, despite the weak booking leadin in. UT/Khali and Angle/Henry will be dud territory for sure, but all the other men's matches should range from pretty good to WWE MOTYC's. The women's match will probably be average.

I agree it's a solid-looking PPV show. The good could be really good, but the bad, oh man, could be atrocious (I'm looking at YOU, Great Khali.)

Hopefully Kurt is good enough to go with Henry, so that he "permanently injures" him and we never have to see Henry even near the mid-card, let alone the main event. I'm looking for a Tag Title change where both teams are allowed to go all out, a good and successful Cruiserweight defense on the part of Helms, and Rey Misterio FINALLY having a successful World Title defense against all odds.

Anybody know if Rey is supposed to retain, or will he drop the belt so he can have surgery on his knees again? :huh:

Looks like a pretty good card for a non-major pay-per-view. However, my home cable is messed up so I can't order this show.

We putting predictions up here? If so I'll go ahead and lay mine out (keep in mind I don't watch Smackdown! as often as RAW):

World Heavyweight Champion Rey Mysterio vs. United States Champion JBL:

King of the Ring Tournament Final: Booker T vs. Lashley

WWE Tag Team Champions MNM vs. Paul London & Brian Kendrick

Undertaker vs. The Great Khali

Kurt Angle vs. Mark Henry

Cruiserweight Champion Gregory Helms vs. Super Crazy

Melina vs. Jillian

The WWE has really booked themselves into a corner in the World Heavyweight Title match because either Mysterio gets destroyed by a guy who lost to the Boogeyman in short order at the Royal Rumble and destroys his credibility to ever be a top caliber guy again (if that hasn't already been destroyed) or JBL jobs and looks INCREDIBLY weak in the process which could also impact the image of the US title (which I also believe the WWE doesn't care about). I can see where they could put Rey over in a "JBL is too cocky" type scenario but I just don't see it happening and I just wouldn't buy it. Of course, then what happens to the U.S. title?

I expect Lashley to go over in the KOTR to keep his push going although maybe they'll push Booker T back into the main event picture to face Rey if he wins at the GAB? After all, with that Batista incident you might have an immediate program if Batista returns.

I choose London & Kendrick to go over MNM for the belts simply b/c swapping the titles between the teams seems like the logical thing to do. I've really enjoyed the parts of the MNM-London/Kendrick program I've managed to see.

Part of me believes that this won't be the end of the Great Khali at this pay-per-view. I can see UT winning by DQ to set up a specialty match at the GAB where the Undertaker could extend his "kill" streak to three. However, that's probably just me dreaming.

The other matches I could really care less about. I think it's clear that Angle will go over Henry, the Cruiserweight title gets bounced around from time to time and I just have a hunch Super Crazy wins it, and Melina is a hot product for WWE right now so I expect her to win over Jillian.

Guest Princess Leena
I can't be the only one who thinks that Rey winning would be total bullshit.

You're not the only one.

This title reign with Rey is a complete joke, and needs to end. Although, high probability is he'll never get beyond upper midcard again after this... which is the shame.

Plus, JBL is entertaining out of the ring, as always.

Rey should drop the Belt to JBL, but stay in the main event scene.

They can have a few more matches before all those dudes on that one poster/cover/whatever, start getting mixed in there, and at Summerslam, Batista or Rey should have the title by that time.

Then one of them should turn heel. I vote for Rey.

He can be all," You fans never cared about me, you chanted a deadman's name in place of mine" or some such shit.

Ya know, 'cause Rey and Batista were all buddy-buddy when Big Dave got taken out.

If for one VERY tiny second, all the brains of everyone working for WWE would click, They could see all of the easy, easy, booking ahead for both shows.

They've got enough shit set-up right now that if they play thier cards right, most of the shit going on now can play out all through the summer and into the fall. And most of it has potintial to be good.

Peace

Looking foward to Benoit/Finlay. I hope we get a clean finish this time.

Booker/Lashley should also be good.

Feel sorry for UT, who won't even be able to carry dumbass Khali to a mediocre match.

Don't know what to say about Rey/JBL. The whole thing's a mess, and I think Rey's title run should end ASAP.

Given the crap way they've made Rey a joke there's no way I'm ordering this PPV. I could care less about it. That said, what kind of sense does it make to job Rey out incessantly before the PPV...and then just job him again? I mean honestly where can you really go with JBL as champion? The only idea with him is the ONS scenario where he faces RVD. Other than that, you just have him get killed by Batista when Batista gets back, and who wants to see those matches again?

I am going against all history, logic, and instincts on the KOTR final and will say Booker. Unless they might go with JBL/Lashley (and I hope not, since Lashley is too green to main event right now). I'll take Booker anyway, since as stated Lashley is a bit green. Also if Rey retains they can go with him vs. Booker, and Booker can get that elusive title in WWE. Plus I'm also going against the time honored truism of "He who gets a bye in a tourney shall lose in the finals."

Either way this PPV is just a time waster until One Night Stand.

Booker/Lashley should be pretty good, since they have been tearing it up at House Shows lately.

The one thing I was interested in was Book playing the chickenshit heel champion against a returning Batista. I've felt this way since the Rumble.

Guest Princess Leena

Unfortunately, the same for me...

Which is sad, because I'm strangely interested in a SD-only PPV for once.

JBL/Rey, Lashley/Booker, Taker/Khali and Benoit/Finlay all catch my interest.

But, are all kinda meaningless matches.

Rey's title reign is nothingness. Either it mercifully ends to a deserved, but rushed JBL reign... or Rey's joke reign continues.

And Lashley was gonna get pushed eventually. A win over Booker, a glorified jobber nowadays, doesn't really solidify anything.

Judging by the posts above, there is some WWE smark interest. Not sure if it'll do a good buyrate.

To me, it looks like a very good episode of SD, but not worth that kind of money.

There are only two ways that I'll be watching this PPV. One, my birthday is Saturday so someone might order it for me. Two, I'll download it after it goes off and watch it the following day.

I don't think Rey should win, but not just because of his jobbing. Rey already looks like shit, he has all year other than his two big wins at RR and WM. We have seen him job cleanly to Mark Henry and Kahli. As far as I'm concerned, his days as a main eventer, ever, are totally over. Not only would it not make sense to have Rey beat JBL considering everyone else has already beat him, but if Rey does beat JBL, then will that say about JBL himself?

I never usually believe stuff like this, but really, I think Rey is totally ruined when it comes to the main event. Having Rey beat JBL would just make JBL look that much worse as well. I don't see any reason in fucking up two of their top stars in this mess.

The only possible way that it would be acceptable for Rey to beat JBL even in the slightest is if JBL turns face almost right away, and he just isn't ready for that yet, at least not in my opinion.

My predictions

JBL beats Mysterio

Super Crazy over Helms

Angle over Henry

Kendrick/London over MNM

Finlay over Benoit

King Booker over Lashly

Jillian beats Melina (Michelle McCool returns to cause interference)

Taker over Kahli in a ***** classic! (not)

Does anyone really think that tiny heel Rey against monster face Batista would work? I mean, fuck Kidman/Hogan, that shit would be ridiculous.

Except that Rey can't ever be a heel.

Yeah his one attempt as part of the Filthy Animals was abysmal. You can't have a guy the size of Mysterio being a heel against Batista. That would be... beyond words.

Celtic Cross, huh? I was hoping they would call it Finlay's Rainbow.

I'm really, really sorry about that. That was just an awful joke. Really, I'm sorry.

I too am looking forward to about four matches, which has to be a first for a brand only PPV. And the Taker-Khali match is going to be such a great train wreck.