TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dogbert

Songs you hate by artists you like

I find most of XTC's Oranges and Lemons absolutely repulsive, 'Hold Me My Daddy' in particular. I wish that album didn't exist. Many like 'Chalkhills and Children' but not I.

"The Loving." Even though it's guilty of having a guitar solo that plays the melody note-for-note, which has long been a peeve of mine. Also, if you can ignore the hokey lyrics, "The Mayor of Simpleton" is nice, but then I'm a sucker for Byrds-esque jangle.

Those are the two I'd be like 'oh, okay then, Andy, if you really must...' for. Agreed on the note-for-note gripe, but man, when it works. Roxy Music knew how to do it almost perfectly.

I find most of XTC's Oranges and Lemons absolutely repulsive, 'Hold Me My Daddy' in particular. I wish that album didn't exist. Many like 'Chalkhills and Children' but not I.

"The Loving." Even though it's guilty of having a guitar solo that plays the melody note-for-note, which has long been a peeve of mine. Also, if you can ignore the hokey lyrics, "The Mayor of Simpleton" is nice, but then I'm a sucker for Byrds-esque jangle.

Good point

Yeah!

Those are the two I'd be like 'oh, okay then, Andy, if you really must...' for. Agreed on the note-for-note gripe, but man, when it works. Roxy Music knew how to do it almost perfectly.

Roxy Music didn't do it that much, did they? I'm having trouble thinking of any of their songs that have that kind of solo. And ha to your triple post.

Graves-era Misfits was...fucking Goosebumps.

Danzig = Sam Raimi.

Graves = RL Stine.

There's just no need to be knocking Goosebumps. The Haunted School fucking owns you and you know it.

Static Age is the album to start with, right?

It was originally suppose to be their debut before it got shevled during the great punk backlash of the late 70s. I personally think it's their best and it's probably a good idea to start with it. Stay clear of the overpriced collections as most of the songs feature botched mixes.

Ehhh...yeah, I'd have to agree. It's either Static Age or Earth AD, but the latter is definitely not what you think of when you think of The Misfits. It's practically a hardcore album, since that was recorded and released close to the end of the Danzig-era when Jerry and Glenn had a huge falling out. So all of that resentment just built up and unleashed itself musically.

Which brings me to the belief that discomfort in a band is what produces quality music. When everybody gets along just enough to come to a conclusion on songs, that's when magic happens.

One thing about Danzig that seperates from other punk vocalists, is how damn soulful and sincere he sounds despite the absurd subject matter of his lyrics. You can tell a Johnny Rotten or Jello Biafra are being sacrcastic but with Danzig there's no distinction. The result is either hilarious or moving in it's own disturbing way.

Aye. Danzig's sincerity in his singing has always been something I really dug about him. Too bad his solo career has been pretty lame, for the most part.

I don't know what reminded me of this thread specifically, but I heard "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith today, which certainly fits.

Also, "Dr. Feelgood" by Motley Crue and "Settle" by The Headstones.

Being a Motley Crue fan and not liking "Dr. Feelgood" is like being a pizza fan and not liking tomato sauce! (Yes, I know about white pizza. FUCK THAT SHIT.) Now "Girls, Girls, Girls," that song is terrible.

There's a handful of Morrissey songs I hate, I always detested 'Lucky Lisp' for some reason. And 'Instant Weight Loss' by Sparks. I think both artists have written worse songs, but I'm such a big fan of the albums those are included on that it magnifies the hate.

"D'yer Mak'r" by Led Zeppelin.

Simply the worst song Zeppelin ever recorded.

"Wearing and Tearing." "Dy'er Mak'r" is a good song.

Guest WhackingCockDick

No it's not. It's awful, though not as bad as "Living Loving Maid" or some of the filler on In Through the Out Door.

I always found "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle" to be far and away the worst Smiths song, even worse than duds like "Unhappy Birthday" or creeperoos like "Handsome Devil." Tell me what I'm supposed to get out of this thing.

I rather like that one. "Lay Lady Lay," too.

agreed. dyer maker rules, man.

rainy day woman is my least fav dylan song from the classic era. the only thing close to a mistep on blonde on blonde, actually.

i could say gimme shelter by the stones is up there. never liked.

I rather like that one. "Lay Lady Lay," too.

rainy day woman is my least fav dylan song from the classic era. the only thing close to a mistep on blonde on blonde, actually.

I'm pretty lukewarm on "Leopardskin Pillbox Hat," although the lyrics are kind of amusing.

I'm having a hell of a time coming up with anything for this thread. I mean, all my favored artists have songs that I'm not crazy about, but I can't think of any that I actively hate. I guess I've always thought that Bowie's cover of "Let's Spend the Night Together" was a wretched waste of time.

"Lay Lady Lay"

I second this.

Also, I love The Libertines, but I can't fucking stand "Don't Be Shy." Absolutely horrible.

In fact, almost all of the second album kinda sucks.

And "Handsome Devil" is a great song, btw.

Half of Demolition Hammer's Time Bomb album is trash. Fucking Century Media...the band broke up, and the two who wrote the album had a different name, but CM wouldn't distribute it under anything but the Demolition Hammer name, so they got kinda fucked there. It's not a bad groove-metal album, but it's not Demolition Hammer quality in terms of brutal thrash.

And I think my hatred of Shadows Fall's "Destroyer of Senses" is known.

Guest WhackingCockDick

I don't think so, Corey; you'd better write a 1200-word essay about it with no paragraphs or linebreaks so as to erase all doubt.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Ha!

Slayer's Diabolus in Musica. To be honest, though, I haven't listened to that album in YEARS, so I have no clue how it aged. I'm guessing poorly.

Zappa songs I skip:

"Florentine Pogen"

"Wild Love"