TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Conference Finals

Oh they do, which is what pisses me off. They let the little ones go, SOMETIMEs, then they just randomly decide to call it. Like players picking up, changing or sliding pivot feet happen all the time, but then all of a sudden a player will grab the ball give a pump fake and they will call the split second of their foot lifting before the ball hits the floor.

I have no problem with them calling travel, I just wish there would be some consistancy. Expecially last night when that traveling call against Marion in the corner was a HUGE play and the play immediately after it was a more blatant travel and was a even bigger play.

Shawn Marion is not Dirk Nowitzki. End of story. LeBron could take 7 steps if he wanted to and even won a game with one of his patented triple jump moves, but Gilbert Arenas wouldn't get away with that. Travelling is the one call in the book that superstars get EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You know after all the bitching about that Lebron travel. WHy doesn't anyone like to mention that he got fouled HARD 3 times on that play.

Whine whine whine, "arenas would have never gotten that call" says the people that just forget that Gil drew a iffy blocking foul on Lebron a few plays earlier to go to the line and help them get the lead that Lebron took away.

Its the same way as when a guy is going for a rebound gets pushed in the back and knocks it out of bounds. ALot of times refs will just say that it is his team's ball because they missed the foul call. You call travel against Lebron there and there has to be a answer as to why he was hacked thrice and no call was given.

Rip, haven't you got the memo.

That LeBron guy is a hack. Totally exposed as an average player pretending to be great.

The media made him, I tells ya. He didn't make it this far on talent. It's the media and the refs I say. :rolleyes:

Shawn Marion is not Dirk Nowitzki. End of story. LeBron could take 7 steps if he wanted to and even won a game with one of his patented triple jump moves, but Gilbert Arenas wouldn't get away with that. Travelling is the one call in the book that superstars get EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Which is complete bullshit. This doesn't happen in other sports.

*Michael Vick throws the ball 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage*

"No penalty because Vick is a big star!"

*Mariano Rivera throws a ball waaaaaaaaaaay off the plate*

STRIKE!

That stuff doesn't happen in other sports. Only in the NBA(and if my post looks like sarcasm it's not. I'm dead serious that this BS only happens in the NBA).

Guest Felonies!

STRIKE!

You sure about that one? Clemens gets a bigger strike zone than a rookie pitcher.

STRIKE!

You sure about that one? Clemens gets a bigger strike zone than a rookie pitcher.

But it's not so absurdly large that he can throw a wild pitch and they'd call it a strike or something equally unfair and absurd.

Guest Felonies!

Well, that's true. What am I even arguing? Of course NBA refs are the worst.

I don't really dislike the Mavericks. I started to dislike them during the playoffs though because the majority of Oklahomans are fans of teams from Dallas and the die-hard Mavericks fans didn't switch over to the Hornets and they're just so damn obnoxious. I work with 5 of them and they're like Iggy x10. I now want them to lose so I don't have to listen to these people at work. That and Mark Cuban is annoying.

You know after all the bitching about that Lebron travel. WHy doesn't anyone like to mention that he got fouled HARD 3 times on that play.

Whine whine whine, "arenas would have never gotten that call" says the people that just forget that Gil drew a iffy blocking foul on Lebron a few plays earlier to go to the line and help them get the lead that Lebron took away.

Its the same way as when a guy is going for a rebound gets pushed in the back and knocks it out of bounds. ALot of times refs will just say that it is his team's ball because they missed the foul call. You call travel against Lebron there and there has to be a answer as to why he was hacked thrice and no call was given.

Why are you bringing up fouls when we're talking about travelling? The two infractions are not the same. LeBron routinely takes 3 or 4 steps when driving to the paint and never gets called for it. But I guarantee you if Damon Jones or Larry Hughes did the same thing they'd get whistled up on almost every play. Jordan walked all of the time, as did Patrick Ewing which made his finger roll miss against Indiana in Game 7 even more maddening. Had he taken the extra step like HE ALWAYS DID, it would have been a dunk and a series victory. Shaq shuffles his pivot foot at least 5 times per game, and maybe gets called on it once every other game. No names almost always get called for travelling, superstars usually don't. Dispute it all you want, but just watch an NBA season and you'll see that what I'm saying is true.

As for baseball Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux used to get the entire plate plus 6 inches on either side back in the day. Stars get star treatment in every sport.

I agree with stars getting star treatment in every sport, but I think it's a bigger deal in basketball because no other sport has a "fouling out" rule. The inconsistancy on personal foul calls is worse than the inconsistency on traveling.

Guest Felonies!
the majority of Oklahomans are fans of teams from Dallas and the die-hard Mavericks fans didn't switch over to the Hornets and they're just so damn obnoxious.

Can't blame them, David Stern doesn't repeatedly tell them he's taking their Mavericks away

Miami and especially Dwayne Wade have looked incredible thus far. They're making the best defensive team in the NBA look like lost little puppy dogs trying to stop them.

They're starting to get me worried at this point. I really think they could beat Dallas.

Miami and especially Dwayne Wade have looked incredible thus far. They're making the best defensive team in the NBA look like lost little puppy dogs trying to stop them.

They're starting to get me worried at this point. I really think they could beat Dallas.

Miami vs Dallas ends with Miami in 5 or 6. Miami would have two unguardables against Dallas' one. Terry would also be limited by Wade and if Walker got hot at any point he'd more than negate Stackhouse/Howard. Dallas has the better team, I just think Miami matches up really well against them especially given Dallas' lack of experience.

However, I don't think both of those teams will win even though that's the one series left that I would definitely watch every second of every game for.

Miami vs Dallas ends with Miami in 5 or 6. Miami would have two unguardables against Dallas' one. Terry would also be limited by Wade and if Walker got hot at any point he'd more than negate Stackhouse/Howard. Dallas has the better team, I just think Miami matches up really well against them especially given Dallas' lack of experience.

However, I don't think both of those teams will win even though that's the one series left that I would definitely watch every second of every game for.

I'm not sure if I agree on the matchups so much. I mean no one in the NBA has two scoring threats like Wade and Shaq, so of course that will be an edge Miami has on any team. Dallas has much better role-players though in Harris, Howard, and Stackhouse, and I think Diop would play at least passable defense on Shaq. Also, since Miami does score so well, I think you almost have to just outscore them (which Dallas could do) as opposed to trying to stop them (which Detroit seems to be failing miserably at).

All in all, I think it would be a really even, competitive series, and I could see it going either way. I think that adding up competitiveness, star power, and just general entertainment value, Dallas/Miami would be the most compelling Finals since MJ retired. Oh, and who do you think will lose in the conference finals between Dallas and Miami? I'd give Dallas about an 85% chance of beating Phoenix, and I'd probably give Miami an 80% chance of beating Detroit. If Phoenix or Detroit made the NBA Finals, I'd be quite surprised at this point.

I'm not sure if I agree on the matchups so much. I mean no one in the NBA has two scoring threats like Wade and Shaq, so of course that will be an edge Miami has on any team. Dallas has much better role-players though in Harris, Howard, and Stackhouse, and I think Diop would play at least passable defense on Shaq. Also, since Miami does score so well, I think you almost have to just outscore them (which Dallas could do) as opposed to trying to stop them (which Detroit seems to be failing miserably at).

All in all, I think it would be a really even, competitive series, and I could see it going either way. I think that adding up competitiveness, star power, and just general entertainment value, Dallas/Miami would be the most compelling Finals since MJ retired. Oh, and who do you think will lose in the conference finals between Dallas and Miami? I'd give Dallas about an 85% chance of beating Phoenix, and I'd probably give Miami an 80% chance of beating Detroit. If Phoenix or Detroit made the NBA Finals, I'd be quite surprised at this point.

I just think Shaq would eat Diop, Dampier, Van Horn and Dirk for lunch because he'd know that the title was there and he wouldn't really have to conserve energy for another series.

I think Dallas is more likely to blow their series against Phoenix just based on their history of losing games they had by the throat down the stretch. They should easily be up 2-0 with a chance to put this one to bed with a win in Game 3 or 4. With the Hack-A-Ben working now and Flip Squanders looking like a high school coach, I think Detroit is in some serious trouble especially if Miami takes the game on Monday. The Pistons are far too cocky relative to their output this postseason and I think that Miami's gonna be the team that stands up and punches them square in the mouth.

I agree that Dallas/Miami could be the best series since the late '90s and would love to see that pairing, even moreso if it went 7. It would make up for the miserable 5 year run of the Knicks AND the sickening moments of the Pistons and Spurs hoisting the championship trophies recently.

Dallas has much better role-players though in Harris, Howard, and Stackhouse, and I think Diop would play at least passable defense on Shaq.

I hope you're kidding.

If Dallas can beat the Spurs, who are basically a better version of the Heat, they should be able to beat the Heat. Shaq is not going to have a better series against the Mavs than Duncan had against them. Devin Harris and Jason Terry would run circles around Jason Williams and Gary Payton. Plus, Miami doesn’t have a player like Bruce Bowen or Shawn Marion that can pester Dirk defensively. Dirk would go off for 40 every game.

If Phoenix makes it to the finals, it would be no contest. Miami would get destroyed. The 2 games these 2 played in the regular season were just embarrassing for the Heat. Giving up 47 point in one quarter. Shaq was gasping for air the entire time.

The problem with Miami is that they’re not particularly good defensively, so they try to increase the tempo outshoot their opponents. Against defensive minded teams like Chicago, New Jersey, and Detroit, this may work. But not against the Suns and Mavs. The Heat would be playing right into their hands.

The main argument I can make here is this: The Lakers and Clippers took the Suns to the limit. The Heat are better than those teams, thus I think they'd certainly have a shot and perhaps would be favored.

There's also one key thing to remember: The NBA regular season is virtually meaningless. By reg. season results you'd think the Nets could hang with the Heat.

The Heat can't play Shaq or mourning if they expect to beat the suns. Take out Shaq, and all you have is wade who will get his, but the rest of the team won't stand a chance. There are bad matchup teams for some people. What you saw in the first quarter against dallas in game one is what they would do to the heat all game.

Miami just can't matchup with the Suns. They matchup better against the Mavs, but I don't think they could beat them either.

Everyone says they wouldn't watch the NBA finals if it was Detroit/SA. Well I honestly would not watch if it were Dallas/Miami. Detroit or Phoenix has to be there for me to care.

Everyone says they wouldn't watch the NBA finals if it was Detroit/SA. Well I honestly would not watch if it were Dallas/Miami. Detroit or Phoenix has to be there for me to care.

That puts you firmly in the vast minority.

I still badly want PHX/MIA in the Finals. It would've been better last year when everyone was kicking up a fuss about Shaq being the real MVP or whatever, but it'd still be a fun series now. I think Phoenix would win in 6 because they'd have a game where they missed their shots (like Game 2 vs. Dallas) or Wade would take over. Miami's got enough guys that can hit the perimeter shots to hang with Phoenix for a while. Either way, if Nash or Wade could get a trophy, I'd be happy.

Count me as part of the minority as well

What I want to know is where did people get this notion that the Heat are a fun team to watch. Other than Wade they are just as "boring" as the Spurs and Pistons.

Count me as part of the minority as well

What I want to know is where did people get this notion that the Heat are a fun team to watch. Other than Wade they are just as "boring" as the Spurs and Pistons.

And other than LeBron and Kobe there's no reason to watch the Cavs and Lakers respectively. Wade is only one of the most exciting players of the last couple of decades to watch. The Big Fundamental and his merry band of Spurs are not interesting to watch unless you're from San Antonio, neither are the Pistons when they can't hit more than 35% of their shots and sludge their way to a 74-71 finish.