Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

The Great Debate: Spirit Squad vs. UMAGA

The Great Debate!  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you marking for?

• The Spirit Squad
    • Umaga and Armando

You also have to look at the Umaga type of squash matches and Joe's squash matches in TNA. Joe's TNA Squashes actually led him somewhere, Umaga's WWE squash matches isn't really leading him anywhere. You could say their building up his gimmick but I don't see where they could possibly take it......and no we don't need a Cena vs Umaga feud before or after Summerslam.

I heard a rumor that Umaga may be groomed for an ME run in the fall, which is an idea that I completely hate.

Umaga should be positioned as the upper midcard foil the face has to get by before challenging for the WWE title. He shouldn't be main eventing. Basically, Umaga should be to Raw what Abyss is to TNA- the monster guy you have to conquer to get to the champ.

On the subject of Umaga, I do not like Estrada. I think he overacts. That deal on OVW is fine because it's that hokey small promotion/borderline indy stuff. But on the big league level, it doesnt' work for me. Since when does overacting = charisma? Estrada=overrated.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
A related question: somebody, anybody, please explain how the SS come off as "gay"? Aside from being male cheerleaders, nothing they do is played as being gay. Yet every week, several people use the terms "acting gay" or "stereotypically gay", etc., and I'm just not seing it.

They certainly not the butchest guys out there. They look like a bunch of metrosexuals.

Guest TheGreatWesuke

I don't particularly mark for either... but if I had to pick one, Spirit Squad, I guess.

Had this thought the other day, it might have been said before but I'll mention it anyway:

Spirit Squad would work much better if it was just two guys teamed up with say 2-4 girls who could actually perform some cheers properly. Sure, we're supposed to hate them because it's all annoying guys, but really, as a casual viewer I have yet to differentiate any of these poor guys from one another and I doubt that by tuning in once in awhile I ever really will. If the focus was put on two guys with some T&A to back it up the actual wrestlers wouldn't be lost in the shuffle.

Spirit Squad are better in the ring but I'm tired of seeing them in the ring. It's just over the top burnout for me about them, I just want them gone now. I don't feel the need to boo them cause they are beating up HBK because it seems there is no such thing as a face or heel anymore. They turn so fast with no rhyme or reason that I don't even see the point about caring for any of them. I used to care for the Squad and found them entertaining but week after week after week of seeing them, I've just had enough. The more I see them, the more I realize they are incredibly boring.

Umaga is just boring. I'd rather see Meng's old ass running around the ring doing loud yells and locking on the Toungan Death Grip than a taped up thumb to the neck. And I'm still not seeing the greatness in his manager.

I'll pass on both of them but the more talented in the ring is easily every member of the squad.

A related question: somebody, anybody, please explain how the SS come off as "gay"? Aside from being male cheerleaders, nothing they do is played as being gay. Yet every week, several people use the terms "acting gay" or "stereotypically gay", etc., and I'm just not seing it.

They certainly not the butchest guys out there. They look like a bunch of metrosexuals.

I'm pretty sure they're going for the preppy high school douchebag thing. They're supposed to act like hotshots, even if they're not really that tough.

Guest Coffey

If Umaga didn't paint his face and won with his top rope splash instead of the Samoan Spike, I wouldn't have any problems with him at all.

If Umaga didn't paint his face and won with his top rope splash instead of the Samoan Spike, I wouldn't have any problems with him at all.

good call...the Spike is a nice set up, but I'd like to see a high impact finisher.

I'm pretty sure they're going for the preppy high school douchebag thing. They're supposed to act like hotshots, even if they're not really that tough.

200px-708_image_01.jpg

Guest JustPassinBy

High School "Hotshots" would never be cheerleaders though.

Male cheerleaders are made fun of in high school. Its not a 'cool' thing to be.

When I see these 5 guys, i think boy band bc their names on their shirts, they all look the same, etc... However overall, they are just boring.

The only thing that could be worse than this gimmic, would be if Randy Orton took these 5 dudes under his wing, and they became like a fraternity or something. That would probably actually be even more annoying, although you'd get more "lets see these guys get their asses kicked" heat, rather than "just get these guys off my TV" heat.

I dont like either Umaga or SS, but Umaga at least doesnt make me flip the channel. Its actually somewhat interesting watching Umaga squash people.. Watching SS do cheers, or beat up someone 4-1 doesnt really accomplish anything.

Guest Princess Leena

I think Umaga is they're attempt at Samoa Joe, And to be honest if Joe signed with them and did everything Umaga has done(sans facepaint) everyone would probably think it was the greatest thing ever.

Yer kidding right? If anything, people who actually watched Samoa Joe before this hypothetical WWE Run, would be horrified at what Vince had done to him, and would be hoping that he would purposely do something to get fired. Umaga has yet to even show he can work a good match and people want to compare him to Samoa Joe? I mean really, if this is Vince's best attempt at ripping off Samoa Joe, then he is in desperate need for a better creative writing team.

It's more like the Impact version of Samoa Joe... who just beats the fuck out of jobbers for 3 minutes.

And I don't Vince really gives a lick about workrate, either.

I heard a rumor that Umaga may be groomed for an ME run in the fall, which is an idea that I completely hate.

Umaga should be positioned as the upper midcard foil the face has to get by before challenging for the WWE title. He shouldn't be main eventing. Basically, Umaga should be to Raw what Abyss is to TNA- the monster guy you have to conquer to get to the champ.

On the subject of Umaga, I do not like Estrada. I think he overacts. That deal on OVW is fine because it's that hokey small promotion/borderline indy stuff. But on the big league level, it doesnt' work for me. Since when does overacting = charisma? Estrada=overrated.

I agree with you on Estrada, the dude is average at best. Not sure about the whole "Umaga = Abyss" comparison because it wouldn't be long before WWE fans are thinking about Umaga what TNA fans think about Abyss: Why don't they ever step it up? (Although I suppose that question about Abyss was just answered).

spirit squad for me, but also enjoy a.a. estrada. Umanga i can do without. Maybe if rosey tagged with him and there was some remblence of a tag team division.....

BTW, What is x-pac heat??? I know of the wrestler and his gay ass bronco buster move,banging china, etc. But i dont understand the term

BTW, What is x-pac heat???

It's where the fans aren't booing the guy because they want him to get his ass kicked, but because they want him to get off the screen.

a form of heat that people are often too quick to attach to someone who gets over but they don't like them, so the insist it's X-Pac heat. What's worse? X-Pac heat? or Masters heat(none)?

BTW, What is x-pac heat???

It's where the fans aren't booing the guy because they want him to get his ass kicked, but because they want him to get off the screen.

What's worse? X-Pac heat? or Masters heat(none)?

X-Pac heat. With X-Pac heat they don't want you there at all. At least with Masters Heat they aren't outright rejecting you.

I bet smarks would have cum in their pants if Samoa Joe squashed Ric Flair at Backlash in 4 minutes.

I agree with you on Estrada, the dude is average at best. Not sure about the whole "Umaga = Abyss" comparison because it wouldn't be long before WWE fans are thinking about Umaga what TNA fans think about Abyss: Why don't they ever step it up? (Although I suppose that question about Abyss was just answered).

Isn't the whole point to being a manager in WWE is to over react to everything? The thing with Estrada is that he has all of the tangibles together: He has the look, gimmick hat, gimmick suit, gimmick accent, and everything is so absurb to a point that you can't help not to laugh at everything he does.

I bet smarks would have cum in their pants if Samoa Joe squashed Ric Flair at Backlash in 4 minutes.

If Flair was protected like a legend, then maybe 'smarks' would have done. But Flair has been so abused for the last ten years beating him doesn't mean anywhere near what it used to.

Isn't the whole point to being a manager in WWE is to over react to everything? The thing with Estrada is that he has all of the tangibles together: He has the look, gimmick hat, gimmick suit, gimmick accent, and everything is so absurb to a point that you can't help not to laugh at everything he does.

The whole point to being a manager is to help get the wrestler paired up with you over. Estrada doesn't compliment Umaga, he upstages him. What he does, he does to get himself over and not Umaga.

And I don't think he's funny and I don't laugh at everything he does. In fact, I usually turn the channel now when he comes on the screen. That's just me though. I see his appeal to some and that's fine for them, but he's not my cup of tea.

The whole point to being a manager is to help get the wrestler paired up with you over. Estrada doesn't compliment Umaga, he upstages him. What he does, he does to get himself over and not Umaga.

Prince Nana, is a excellent example of a manager who can be a character in his own right but still make the focus on his wrestlers. He puts them over with his antics, while Estrada is a character designed to get himself over.

Estrada is along the lines of Julius Smokes. So irritating that he becomes amusing.

The Spirit Squad definitely has X-Pac heat with me at least. I'm tired of handicap matches, I'm tired of their music, I'm tired of virtually everything they do. They may have been good enough to warrant this exposure at some point, but it's too much too soon. That and they remind me of the current hell-bent "we make an action-adventure television series" attitude in the product.

Umaga is just another "monster" that's going to be inexplicably pushed to the main event, and Estrada always looks like he's constipated when he talks. The pairing doesn't make much sense on its own anyway. Has he ever even explained how he discovered Umaga in the first place?

Anyway, both of these gimmicks are reasons on a long list of why WWE is starting to grate on me and I'm seriously considering not watching Raw anymore (Smackdown hasn't been regular viewing material for me in years). More power to you if you're feeling them, but I'm sure as hell not.

Goooooooo Spirit Squad!

I thought Kenny had some in-ring potential, but then he had to botch the spinebuster last night. When Stephanie McMahon can take a spinebuster better than you can, you know you have some problems.

Ok, this is a horribly unfair judgment on Kenny. He botches one spot, and all of a sudden he no longer has any talent? Come on. Ric Flair has botched spots. Bret Hart has botched spots. Chris Benoit has botched spots. And the list goes on. When you're performing as much as wrestler's do, no one's going to bat 1.000.

And I'd like to see Stephanie do a leg drop as well as Kenny.

I said it in the Raw thread, I'll say it here.

Kenny 'botched' the spinebuster to avoid landing on the sledgehammer.

Go back and watch it again, if he took it right, he would have landed on the sledge and broke his fucking back.

And I like both SS and Umaga.

:ph34r: