TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adam

Going on Exchange to the US

I'm going on Exchange, possibly next year, and I need help figuring out which College would be best for me to attend for six months. These are my possibilities:

* Butler University (Indiana)

* Colorado State University

* Ithaca College (New York)

* Kansas City Art Insitute

* State University of New York at Oswego

* Towson University (Maryland)

* University of California

* University of Hawaii

* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

* University of New Mexico

* University of Texas at Austin

* Southwest Missouri State University

* University of Virginia

* University of Western Washington

Now, I would rather be on the East Coast, probably because of the wrestling. Plus, I'll be landing in LA when I get there, so I could probably leave a week early and spend a week on the West Coast before flying across the country. Towson has caught my eye because of their media program (as I work in radio at the moment, and I'm doing a combined Journalism/Marketing degree). I'd like somewhere with a quality radio station, as well as a solid sports program. I've always wanted to be at NCAA Division 1 Football and Basketball games, so I may as well take my chance. Which out of these institutions are the best, and which are the worst?

Because those are the schools that my University has partnerships with, and therefore the ones I can go to to get credit on my own degree.

Well, Towson is a fine school, I guess.

You could see Baltimore, in all it's glory. But MD is no wrestling hotbed, I'm sorry to say.

What do you want from a college anyways?

I would totally go to Hawai'i :)

Adam, go to Texas. Good football and basketball programs, since you want to see them and all.

Virginia has a decent sports program as well, but I personally enjoyed the state of Texas more than Virginia.

I'd want, in this order:

- A quality school, academically

- A radio program

- A quality sports program (for viewing, not participation)

- Some wrestling

- Quality women.

I'd be there for six months, so it'd have to be a decent place, too, somewhere where I wouldn't get bored after a few months. I'm just weighing up my options at the moment, seeing how much money I'd need (they say $10,000 for a six month stay, but I'd want to travel, so I'd have to take 15 probably), and where I could go.

Lushus, I didn't click when I saw 'University of Texas at Austin', I just thought it'd be a smaller campus, not the actual UT, because I didn't think my college would have a relationship with a larger college. Wow, seeing the Longhorns in both Football and Basketball would be awesome, but again, I'd like an East Coast school. Texas seems to get a bad rep from the stereotypical point of view here, but I don't think it would be too bad.

Hawaii would be cool, but hey, as with LA, I could visit for a week and just chill outside of school.

well, obviously go with whatever college helps your life goals...but for extra curricular activities on the EAST coast, hit up Virginia...decent sports program, as I said, and I'm pretty sure they get some good wrestling in that area....women could be hit or miss, however.

Well, speaking for the East coast, Towson is sure on the coast, Baltimore is fine, I guess.

It's no DC Metro area, but it's fine...

Towson is a nice area. It's not "on the coast" as in beach area, but it's still a nice area nonetheless.

If it comes down to Towson or UVA, I'd still say UVA tho

I meant on the coast as in on the EAST coast. Compared to VA.

I just don't know why anyone would chose VA over MD.

It's just a redder state...

And don't worry, your accent will get you play anywhere you go, I think.

What kind of people do you like? That should help dictate where you want to live...

Go to Towson. You can eat good Chinese Food at a place called Sezuan(sp) House. The only problem with studying might be the incessant helicopters overhead and stray gunfire.

B-more is my second home...lots of stuff going on and a nice starting point for trips to NYC, DC, etc. You cant really turn around without seeing a college.

Go to the University of Illinois.

If you want to watch great basketball with a great atmosphere, that's the best on the list.

Baltimore is definitely bustling. The most big-college atmosphere place on that list is definitely UT. Across the board academically, it's California and UVA. If you're looking for a radio program, however, as in a broadcast journalism type program, I know UVA doesn't have one. I'm an alum who loves the school, but the closest they come to that is WTJU 91.1, a student-run radio station that's pretty cool and pretty fun, but that doesn't really do anything that you could get course credit for. The girls are quite hot, your accent will get you laid, and the football is good, if not great. Admission to games is free, and we play Miami next year if you want to see a big game. Beautiful town, very convenient, decent music scene, pretty affordable, and lots of different types of great parties. I don't really follow wrestling, but I know that WWE is coming here in July, and that there are always advertisements for a few small feds scattered around Virginia. If you want the east coast and academics, UVA is probably a good fit. I'm really fond of the whole mid-Atlantic region, so Towson might also be good, though I don't really know anything about them.

If you have any UVA questions, you can PM me. I know more than is healthy about this place.

Western Washington University is in my home down and has a beautiful campus.

Not to mention a lot of weed smoking chicks.

But the big Texas main campus is in Austin....so what's this school?

And what stereotype are you talking about?

yeah, Dama, he was saying it didn't register in his brain when he first saw "The University Of Texas At Austin"...now he knows that that means "the school the Longhorns are from"

I don't know what stereotypes he's referring to.

The female talent at Texas is EASILY top 3 in the nation, so if that's a consideration for you, go to Austin. The nightlife kicks ass as well, provided you love great live music and drinking.

Sez you.

I KNOW for a fact that Towson has better student media than even UMCP does, so in that respect it's pretty damn good.

If you like seafood, Towson (or any coast scene) kills these middling states...

Recomdentation to avoid SUNY Oswego and Ithaca. You may think b/c they're in NY your in for a good time, but they're both in Upstate NY, a boring and souless region that's only good for chicken wings, plus they're in hick towns.

What, so no one in the US has stereotypes of Texas rednecks? Color me shocked. I'm sure its a nice place, just that whenever I think of Texas I think of somehow dying from stray gunfire.

Darthtitki - I'm not sure which Campus of California I could go to, but I might find out today. While everyone I know associates California with Hollywood, The OC, and therefore great women, I can't help but think I'd be better off going to a different state.

I don't know how subjective they are, but on the Top 500 Universities listing, Texas is at 36, with Virginia just outside the Top 100. Texas seems to be everything I want in a University, with the Longhorns getting major coverage over here on ESPN. The only thing is that its on the wrong side of the country.

Towson caught my eye, it seems to have a pretty decent radio program and its in a good spot.

At the moment, my choices seem to be:

- UVA (although Supes certainly freaked me out)

- Texas (although its in the wrong spot)

- Illinois (Just for the Fighting Illini)

and Towson, because its basically in the middle of everything, I could head up to Philly for a ROH show, over to Jersey for a UFC, then up to RI and NY. Seems to have a good radio program too, but its lacking in the athletics department.

I'll be getting more info today, probably. Thanks for your help so far guys, keep it coming.

Yeah, I was going to ask about that, too. I'd be staying in a dorm, but the general consensus is to take about $10,000 for my six month stay. I can get a student loan of 5, and a scholarship of $2,500. I'd probably take another 5 or 6, just to be safe about it, and because I'd want to travel around. Any thoughts?