TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

X-Men 3

A thought occured to me about the Wolverine/Phoenix scene near the end. Someone was saying earlier about how Wolverine couldn't have used a needle, because only his healing factor allowed him to get that close.

While I understand that his flesh was growing back as she was ripping it apart, how does him having a healing factor prevent Phoenix from just tossing him a thousand miles away? Like, she's the most powerful psychic there is, and she can't even summon up the telekenisis to knock Wolverine off of Alcatraz?

A thought occured to me about the Wolverine/Phoenix scene near the end. Someone was saying earlier about how Wolverine couldn't have used a needle, because only his healing factor allowed him to get that close.

While I understand that his flesh was growing back as she was ripping it apart, how does him having a healing factor prevent Phoenix from just tossing him a thousand miles away? Like, she's the most powerful psychic there is, and she can't even summon up the telekenisis to knock Wolverine off of Alcatraz?

The simple answer, as dumb/sarcastic as it may sound is, she could but she didn't.

I mean, why did she eat away at everyone's flesh instead of just tossing everyone miles away? Her intent was to kill, not to mention she was already in the process of 'using that power' I guess you could say, she wasn't just gonna stop and toss wolverine a few miles.

It almost seemed like she wasn't trying very hard to stop Wolverine, since she probably realized what was going on...didn't she tell Wolverine to kill her, or say words to that effect?

Jean wanted to die to save everyone, the Phoenix wanted everyone to die. Jean prevented her from flinging him like a ragdoll but she couldn't prevent everything. Least that's what I got out of the situation.

I actually liked this movie and didn't find it as horrible as others did. Here's my thoughts.

The Good

-The idea that the XMen really are screwed. Losing Jean, Cyclops, and Prof X is a big deal. Even though it deviated from the comics, I liked the direction the team was going in, Wolverine and Storm heading the ship.

-Iceman coming off like a pussy who is more "defensive". I liked that take on the character, and I liked how he Iced up at the end and walloped on Pyro. Would have liked to see more than a headbutt, though.

-the opening young jean gray scene. I don't know why, but it was a great way to start the movie.

- Beast. I was skeptical, but his action scenes were GOLD.

-Ditto on shadowcat. I think I have a slightly pervy crush on her.

The Bad

- I agree with an earlier poster that this should have been two movies. Phoenix and The Cure were two HUGE themes that felt very compressed when put together in one movie.

- Why shove Angel down our throats as the big definitive scene in the trailers, have him in all the magazines posing with the other X teens, give him a great backstory (self mutilation) and then give him 3 lines and maybe 5 minutes of screen time?

- Bad script equals Bad Acting, but God bless Hugh and Halle for giving it their best.

I'll probably come up with some more later.

The movie was decent. It's biggest flaw was trying to fit so much into such a short time. With another 45 minutes, they could have paced the film much better, developed the stories a lot more, and generally take the movie from a C+ to a B. X2 will likely always remain the best X-Men movie, but for now I think I'll take the Last Stand over the anticlimactic first installment.

I don't think extra time would have saved the dreadful dialogue.

Writer: I think this script is ready.

Writer 2: I know it's ready, but are YOU ready?

Writer 3: Guys, come on, team work.

Writer: The best offense is a good defense.

Writer 2: Slow down guys, I gotta get this down, this stuff is gold...

Writer 3: I hear you're a real animal.

Writer: You've always wanted to build bridges.

Wah wuh.

Yeah, the lines were total cheese. This is off-topic, but somehow though, X3's dialoge doesn't make me cringe as bad as in the Spider-Man movies. Jesus, every scene with Peter and Mary Jane is MURDER.

And I really hope there's only one version of the after-credits scene out there. I hate it when 100% of the faces' deaths are swerves.

while I agree that the chemistry between Tobeyand Kirsten is kind of lacking, the casting of Tobey as Peter Parker is one of the best casting moves I've ever seen.

Yeah, Tobey is good, or as good as the lines given him. However, I really don't like Kirsten Dunst, who apparently went to the Renee Zellwegger "Hard Squinting Can Express Every Emotion" Acting School.

ya know, with the current lineup they have (and they could bring Nightcrawler back really easily), they could possibly use the Days of Future Past story for the next movie

That story is so infinitely better than the Dark Phoenix saga. (which was terribly disappointing when I read it)

You know, Claremont did a lot of good stuff, but after reading four volumes of Essential X-Men, he did just as much pure crap. All that Shi'Ar, Brood, space opera shit is completely insufferable. He had to have an Arcade storyline every goddamn couple of years (and they ALWAYS sucked. Badly.) What's wrong with mutants fighting mutants, and occasionally being angsty?

Shit, I think Magneto and Juggernaut each showed up once in that span of Essentials, which is like 8 years of continuity. The space opera shit seemed to take up at least a third of that time.

You know, John Byrne deserves some credit (or blame, depending on your likings) on those stories like Dark Phoenix and Days of Future Past along with Chris Claremont. IIRC Byrne was credited as co-plotter/writer on many of those stories. IMO Claremont functioned better alongside Byrne, whereas Claremont alone leaves much to be desired as he has as much downs as he has ups (specially his later showings.)

I love the music when Jean kills Charles. It's odd, it isn't menacing it's more almost uplifting or something. It shouldn't go with what is happening but it works. It gives a feeling of awe. I also like how that theme comes up again when Logan is struggling to reach her at the end. I think that whole scene in her house is the best in that series and probably any comic movie. That is what I keep thinking back to and what I'll immediatly recall when X3 comes up years from now.

The president is the worst character. I think every single line he has is a cliche. It's so bad it seems like it had to have been on purpose. My god have mercy, they want a war then we'll give them a war, and so on. The military stuff in general was lame. The soldiers acted straight out of a cartoon. It was like the military advisor took the day off. Like that scene where Multiple Man tricks them. The elite special forces agents sneak up all stealthy arbitrarily saying stuff like "alpha team" while a bunch of generals and cabinet members sit around a table watching it on monitors. The president himself tells the head ninja to attack and they just run up to the camp and start screaming and waving their guns. Much worse than the way Stryker's soldiers were portrayed in X2.

I was watching X1 and 2 and it's weird to think of how little actually happens in this series. At least with me I tend to think of the story being much longer and epic because of it being many years between movies and the millions of comics and cartoons that came before. The actual trilogy is nothing. The events of the 3 movies are only a couple days each. The X-Men team only had like 3 "missions". Logan and Jean barely even knew each other! They meet in X1, he is gone till X2, they see each other a few times, then she is dead till becoming Phoenix.

And it's odd how Colossus and Kitty have just randomly joined the team. What exactly gets you on the team? In the first it was the teachers and then Logan just to help in the end. It was a school and then the adults were the X-Men team. Now it seems like it's the adults and then some kids. Iceman makes sense because of 2, Colossus seems like one of the oldest students, but Kitty? Why is Kitty on the team instead of "change the channel by blinking" guy, Jubilee or any of the other generic students you saw in the background before? They don't even acknowledge their promotion. They're seen in the danger room in the beginning, they go back to being regular students in the middle, then in the final battle Logan, Storm and Beast are suiting up and they're just standing there in uniform.

And the whole code name thing has always annoyed me. It's so cheesy. Almost nothing else comic booky about the movies bugs me except that. The uniforms, Magneto's silly helmet, the jet, they're all acceptable...but the idea of calling someone "Cyclops" is just so goofy. I'd be fine if it was something they used in battle and just a codename like how Charles explained it to Logan in X1 but I hate it how they will just randomly use them in casual speech. Like Kitty saying "Storm told us to stay in our rooms". Ugh. Nobody talks like that. And even worse is how a couple people just don't have code names for no apparent reason. Kitty is just Kitty and Jean is Jean. So it's like

"these are the X-Men...Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine...and Dr. Jean Grey". Did they ever call Beast "The Beast" either? I don't think so.

X-Men: The Last Stand crumbled in its second Friday in theaters dropping a steep 78% to an estimated $10.2M. The disturbing fall was almost identical to the hefty 77% second-weekend crash that fellow Marvel pic The Hulk suffered three years ago. The super hero sequel should still deliver $32-35M for Fox this weekend putting it in the runnerup spot. (boxofficeguru.com)

I guess this means X-Men is getting some poor word of mouth.

while I agree that the chemistry between Tobeyand Kirsten is kind of lacking, the casting of Tobey as Peter Parker is one of the best casting moves I've ever seen.

can I ammend this (and sorry for going off topic)? JK SIMMONS is the best comic book movie casting move I've ever seen.

The computer effects in the beginning to "de-age" Prof X and Magneto SUCKED, btw. Seriously, this was the X-Men George Lucas would have directed, shitty dialogue and needless special effects and all.

Shit, both Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart were doing TV & Movies 20 years ago... it shouldn't have been THAT hard to make them look younger considering the considerable amount of reference points for both.

Looks like WB's sabotage job was a complete success. Most of the glaring problems of this movie (music, dialogue, pacing, story) would not have happened if Singer and crew were there. We'll see it in Superman Returns, maybe. Only things I see staying the same with Singer is that Cyclops means nothing and Xavier gets taken out right away. But in X2, it had a purpose.

This movie was complete fluff and a slap in the face to everyone who saw X2 and liked it. X-Men 1 was bad, but forgivable because it was the most heavily hyped comic book movie in ages (Blade had a cult following at best) and no one knew what to do, and even then the movie was tolerable. But there was a can't miss formula in X2 (tell a compelling story and let the action supplement it), and the ball was completely dropped. Phoenix, Xavier, Cyclops, Mystique, Angel, Rogue, and Beast were completely useless.

Marvel needs to stop thinking that the name can sell a movie. At this time last here, many were saying that the only Marvel movies to care about were Spider-Man and X-Men, because Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher, and Hulk were all hit-or-miss. Now it's down to one.

Marvel needs to stop thinking that the name can sell a movie.

Well since X3 had the second highest opening say EVER (After Revenge Of The Sith) then I guess that the mentality they have is fine.

And I quite liked The Punisher. Very underrated and one of the better Marvel movies.

Well since X3 had the second highest opening say EVER (After Revenge Of The Sith) then I guess that the mentality they have is fine.

And I quite liked The Punisher. Very underrated and one of the better Marvel movies.

Read bob barron's post. X3 will be lucky to make back it 210 million dollar budget. Hulk had the same problem. Once word got out that the movie blew, it finished at 120 million, which is exactly how much it cost to make the movie in the first place. This is not good news in the least.

And Batman and Robin had an awesome opening weekend too. And they never made their money back. Even more embarrasing was that it was destroyed in the third week by a chick flick (My Best Friend's Wedding).

Batman should take note when they (re)do the Joker, there's no need to get rid of your best villian after one film.

And by all accounts (at the moment at least), Joker will be in the third Batman to fuck up Harvey Dent.

Wait. I heard it will be in the second one and then Two-Face will be in the third

The computer effects in the beginning to "de-age" Prof X and Magneto SUCKED, btw. Seriously, this was the X-Men George Lucas would have directed, shitty dialogue and needless special effects and all.

If it was a Lucas film it would of had more teen angst and politics with countless minutes of filler pushing Lucas personal opinions. There would of been a 15 minute Senate speech by Beast filabusting about how using the cure is wrong. The love triangle between Rouge, Iceman, Shadowcat would of taken 30% of the movie and 40% would focused on Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine and 20% for the Magneto/Mistique subplot which would leave a mere 10% for the fight scenes.

Read bob barron's post. X3 will be lucky to make back it 210 million dollar budget. Hulk had the same problem. Once word got out that the movie blew, it finished at 120 million, which is exactly how much it cost to make the movie in the first place. This is not good news in the least.

X3 is 4th, not 2nd highest.

$210 million budget?! X1 was $75m and X2 was $110m. Fox's faith in Ratner over Singer is rather disturbing. I guess all those explosions don't come cheap, though.

X3 is 4th, not 2nd highest.

$210 million budget?! X1 was $75m and X2 was $110m. Fox's faith in Ratner over Singer is rather disturbing. I guess all those explosions don't come cheap, though.

2nd highest opening day gross and 4th highest opening weekend gross.