TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

Spirit Squad

Guest wildpegasus

Spirit Squad -- Good or Bad?

The SS is an interesting case. You can make a lot of good points or bad points about them. Overall though, would the Raw brand be better or worse off without them?

Possible Pros

-- Not bland

-- Annoying

-- They're not going to get cheered as faces

-- Different

-- Can be jobbed out constantly and you don't have to worry about it too much.

-- Can see them grabbing the attention of a nonfan

-- Can bring some talk to the product

Possible Cons

-- 5 wrestlers are all essentially the same charactor where as if the squad didn't exist you could have a whole bunch of charctors

-- are used too much on the TV screen

-- Don't see much charactor development coming out of this

-- Annoying in a bad turn the channel don't even care kind of way

-- Wrestlers from what I've seen are still green

-- Nobody in their right mind would ever pay money to see the Spirit Squad at an arena show or a PPV and considering how often they're in the main event that is a problem

-- They don't look like wrestlers and come off as nonthreats

Spirit Squad -- Good or Bad?

The SS is an interesting case. You can make a lot of good points or bad points about them. Overall though, would the Raw brand be better or worse off without them?

Possible Pros

-- Not bland You point out below that they all look the same. That's bland.

-- Annoying That's a pro?

-- They're not going to get cheered as faces This isn't a pro. Being able to turn face is a good quality.

-- Different Not in the good way

-- Can be jobbed out constantly and you don't have to worry about it too much. Uhhhh.....ok?

-- Can see them grabbing the attention of a nonfan "Lookit them faggot cheerleaders in the rasslin' ring"

-- Can bring some talk to the product See above comments

Possible Cons

-- 5 wrestlers are all essentially the same charactor where as if the squad didn't exist you could have a whole bunch of charctors

-- are used too much on the TV screen

-- Don't see much charactor development coming out of this

-- Annoying in a bad turn the channel don't even care kind of way

-- Wrestlers from what I've seen are still green

-- Nobody in their right mind would ever pay money to see the Spirit Squad at an arena show or a PPV and considering how often they're in the main event that is a problem

-- They don't look like wrestlers and come off as nonthreats

The fact that we've had more then one SS thread in the past few weeks just shows that they're this forums Snitsky of the Moment. Something different to cheer for but nothing good worth cheering about.

I'm fairly sure we have done this exact topic about 10 different times and in every raw thread this month. There's no new ground to cover.

SS are good talents being used in a pointless and idiotic gimmick.

So who will make the first wrong statement calling these guys "gay frat boys"

Guest wildpegasus
I'm fairly sure we have done this exact topic about 10 different times and in every raw thread this month. There's no new ground to cover.

SS are good talents being used in a pointless and idiotic gimmick.

So who will make the first wrong statement calling these guys "gay frat boys"

I never realised that. I haven't been keeping up to date with Raw at all. Scratch the thread idea than.

So was Frankie Karazarian suppose to take Mitch's spot but refused to get the uniform haircut so Vince told him "YOU'RE FIRED!"?

Kazarian was gone long before the Squad. I swear I remember reading about one guy begging not to be put in the Squad though. Was it Gunner Scott?

Guest Coffey

The problem with the Spirit Squad, just like every other faction or tag team in WWE, is that if they do ever manage to get over, to the point where people are willing to pay to see them, WWE will just split them all up.

For Jeter and Doane, that could be a very good thing. The others pretty much need something like the Squad because they're either bland like Nemeth and Mitchell, or would only be taken as a comedy heel like Mondo is.

BAD! Very bad. People around here tend to think that just because they like it, it is great. The Spirit Squad isn't great. The gimmick is terrible, they hardly make the best out of it, the fans don't care about them, and aside from two of the guys the team is talentless.

The Spirit Squad is like the Ken Kennedy of RAW, everyone likes them for reasons only apparent to themselves.

Guest Human Highlight Reel
BAD! Very bad. People around here tend to think that just because they like it, it is great.

Smell the irony.

I like the Squad, they're good in the ring, and innovative, they play their characters well, and they have the cheating heels thing down.

For Jeter and Doane, that could be a very good thing. The others pretty much need something like the Squad because they're either bland like Nemeth and Mitchell, or would only be taken as a comedy heel like Mondo is.

I concur.

Jeter and Doane are the guys who can break out of the spirit squad, and in reality their current gimmicks aren't that different from their OVW ones (ie cocky heels). People say about them not having personality, but they're starting to give definition to Kenny's character, making him be the one who took HHHs sledgehammer and blowing it for the team. I like the gimmick, I like the workers, I think they've got plans for Doane long term and that he's going to progress from this into a serious character (which won't be difficult to do). Thumbs up from me.

Doane's clearly the one they're high on, as he's considered being better than both Cena and Orton were when they were at his level. Of course at that point they were still polishing themselves in OVW and not on TV. The call-up situation really hit a fast forward in the last two years.

Hopefully he doesn't let it go to his head and can keep his ego in check (stories are rampant about how many of the guys he came up with in OVW can't stand him anymore). Jeter I wouldn't call a main event player, but he could easily slide into the "credible" midcard scene (meaning a guy like Masters, Haas, etc., not guys like Cade, Conway or Eugene) on his own. I wouldn't mind seeing them reenact the Jeter/Capotelli angle with Kenny and Johnny as a way to split the Squad up sometime...while they wouldn't have Heyman's hand in booking it, it may be a good approach. The Jeter/Cap stuff was excellent.

That would involve Doane being a face, which I don't think he could do.

I see Jeter as a Christian/Jericho style midcard heel. He could do well on Smackdown.

Guest JustPassinBy
No. Elijah Burke was recruited for the gimmick, but turned it down and said he'd continue on in OVW until something better came along.

That was a good move.

Its hard to ever be taken seriously once you've been in a really weak group dynamic.

Can anyone name the last wrestler to make it big after being in a weak group?

I just cant see someone going from male cheerleader to legit feared bad ass. Of course, the WWE counts on ADD viewers that forget history and storylines.

Guest JustPassinBy
The problem with the Spirit Squad, just like every other faction or tag team in WWE, is that if they do ever manage to get over, to the point where people are willing to pay to see them, WWE will just split them all up.

Would the WWE have been better off keeping the Hardy's, EC, and the Dudleys together longer? Or did they break them up at the just the right time?

I was pissed they broke up EC when they did. The others were getting bland, but EC never got bland at least for me.

Also, Elijah Burke is a black dude with cornrolls. Would he really fit in with the ultra cheesy whitebread look of the Spirit Squad? I guess he could have been the blatant token (which is likely one reason he'd turn it down).

I'm somewhat torn on this one though. I think the Spirit Squad certainly sucks...for the position they are in. Let's face it, none of these guys has any sort of credibility right now and yet here they are main eventing Raw even as WWE is trying to--at least in theory--hype the ECW PPV and relaunch?

Put this stuff in the middle of the show somewhere and it wouldn't be so tedious. Lord knows HHH has to main event even the most trivial TV shows in nothing feuds though.

Seriously though, shouldn't they be hyping the RVD/Cena matchup more in the main event? Or the Foley stuff?

I think they're great wrestlers and the gimick could have potential, but like I said in the Raw thread, the whole 5 on 1 beat own to end ever freakin Raw is getting old and predictable. why not put them is some other mid-card matches with other wrestlers to really show they can do instead of all 5 of them feuding with one guy, that just gets old and boring.

They are only feuding with "one guy" to get this whole DX thing going. They are also Vince's energetic henchmen, so they do his bidding and stuff. It's the same as when Vince would have the whole Corporation beat people down and stuff.

I think after this runs it's course we'll either see someone leave the group or they will lose the tag belts and then their will be one or two singles guys and a tag team running around doing seperate things, but helping each other out.

I think the whole idea with the Spirit squad is for them to be annoying as hell. It's typical cheap WWE heat building 101...if your really annoying

people will pay to see you get your ass kicked. Now whats more annoying that a group of gay frat boys (there...I said it first) with air horns? The WWE isn't looking long term with these guys, they'll keep them around until they get boring then they will break up the group.

Are they good or bad? good. The reason they are good is because they are drawing attention to the WWE. The mere fact that there is a threat here discussing their merits is proof that they are at least doing an effective job of getting our attention.

I think after this runs it's course we'll either see someone leave the group or they will lose the tag belts and then their will be one or two singles guys and a tag team running around doing seperate things, but helping each other out.

Who are they going to lose the tag team belts to? I can see Vince getting pissed at the Spirit Squad for not getting the job done in getting revenge for Shane and forcing the squad to fight the army of KANE clones!

Who are they going to lose the tag team belts to? I can see Vince getting pissed at the Spirit Squad for not getting the job done in getting revenge for Shane and forcing the squad to fight the army of KANE clones!

Vince: SEND IN THE KANES!!!

*Creepy organ music hits as Fat Kane, Mini-Kane, Super Kane Machine, The Hurricane, and Das und Kane hit the ring.*

Im annoyed by them (I've said this before). It wont bring any members to stardom. They will need to be repackaged before that happens. They are all over RAW (way to much tv-time given) and as charachters they are all over the place. Loud without really accomplishing anything. I still cant distinguish who's who except Kenny because he wears an awful sweatband.