TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felonies!

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Guest Felonies!

Meh. A lot of it just sounds like background music from Meeting People Is Easy or The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth Of All Time: in fact, the new backing track from Cymbal Rush WAS in The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth Of All Time, called "Try To Save Your Prize."

Guest Felonies!

"And It Rained All Night" is kinda fun, I like the piano loop on the title track, "Cymbal Rush" is still great but I wish he had just left it with the throbbing 4/4 bass line from the live version rather than the more complicated loop from TTSYP, which is recycled, anyway. The drum loops on the title track are very Casio, though, as if to say CAN YOU TELL HOW ARTIFICIAL THIS IS MEANT TO SOUND

Guest abowen33

I like Cymbal Rush, Black Swan, and Atoms for Peace, but its all actually pretty booooring.

Well, Pitchforkmedia is just heaping accolades on it, which pretty much means that it's boring and sounds like background music.

Guest Felonies!

Listening again, I think even more songs are just retreads of Most Gigantic Lying Mouth songs. I know that usually each album is hinted by the previous not-an-album (hints of The Bends on My Iron Lung, traces of Kid A on How Am I Driving?), but this is ridiculous. Also, the title track should be called "pyRmdsng(djThomEremix)"

Hey, What's the song on Meeting People Is Easy when they're at the radio station and the visuals are a bunch of people walking up and down stairs, across a bridge and fading in and out of the scene?

I thought it was nice, if inoffensive. It's good background music...nothing like Kid A, where it almost was background music for a second, but then had something jump out at you from nowhere. This is just kinda there. I still like Thom's voice.

Guest Felonies!
Hey, What's the song on Meeting People Is Easy when they're at the radio station and the visuals are a bunch of people walking up and down stairs, across a bridge and fading in and out of the scene?

I'm gonna find out for you, Loaded Glove. Preemptive guess: "Palo Alto"

Yep, that's the one. It's an OK Computer B-side that was gonna be the title track for the album

Guest Gym Class Fallout

semi-relevant bump

This album grew on me a little bit since last summer. Seeing A Scanner Darkly helped, as did getting the cool alternate version of "Harrowdown Hill." That, "The Eraser," and "Black Swan" are really cool songs. I still like "Cymbal Rush" more in the live setting, though.

Apparently, there's a b-sides/rarities compilation that came soon after called Spitting Feathers, which has the extended "Harrowdown Hill" and some other little experiments. It's pretty much what you'd expect. "Drunkk Machine" is kind of a neat minimalist thing that would've fit in Kid A as a little interlude, and "A Rat's Nest" feels like a COM LAG track. "Jetstream" reminds me of a more electronic "15 Step." "Iluvya" sucks.

I just tacked this onto The Eraser to create a 62-minute album of sorts. Maybe that should've been done in the first place anyway. I mean, why not? I don't think it would dilute the original album or anything. I suppose they could've been presented as bonus tracks, even though in such a situation, there's no such thing as a bonus track. There are only tracks.

If anyone likes this or later Radiohead (Kid A, etc) then I recommend Union of Knives (album: Violence & Birdsong). Good shit right there. :P

I wasn't really too fond of this one the first time around, but the bump w/download gave me enough reason/excuse to throw it for a second spin for this morning's commute. "Analyse" and "And It Rained All Night" are decent enough but, by and large, all of these songs drag on just a bit too long. I really like parts of "Black Swan" and "The Clock", but not for four or five minutes each.

Never heard Spitting Feathers before today, though, and I'm not sure I really missed much. "A Rat's Nest" is a nice little diversion and the beginning of "Drunkk Machine" is nice and Metroid-ey, but that's about it.