TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

Heavy Metal Band Tournament: Nomination Thread

Rammstein

Marilyn Manson

At The Drive-In

ATDI being heavy metal is a pretty big stretch.

I've seen them played in metal clubs. And they don't suck. That's all I care about.

Guest Coffey

A bunch of shitty bands.

Ten bands, you dumb dick. I mean, at least when I said Limp Bizkit ten times, everyone knew I was joking. You probably said Winger and meant it.

Smell my hand, dickweed. Your post was more worthless than mine, hypocrite.

Okay...to those of you posting sarcastic replies: good. Cool. Funny. We get it.

To those of you (J0BBER) who does not understand what a fucking metal band is:

PISS. OFF.

And with that said...no hardcore, no punk, no cock rock, no 70's arena rock bullshit...just metal...

Slayer

Iron Maiden

Black Sabbath

Sepultura (w/ Max)

Cannibal Corpse

Shadows Fall

Motörhead

White Zombie

Pantera

Acid Bath

Slayer

Iron Maiden

Black Sabbath

Sepultura (w/ Max)

Motörhead

White Zombie

Pantera

I second these, and add...

Anthrax

Metallica (old school stuff)

Ozzy (seperate from Sabbath since I think he's done a lot of stuff that is great since his run with them)

Rainbow

Deep Purple

Iron Maiden

Black Sabbath

Queensryche

Dio

Dream Theater

Metallica

Cathedral (just for the hell of it, they have 1.5 good albums but that 1.5 is that good)

At the Drive In would be more at home in a punk tournament, now Maiden is a fucking metal band.

My nominations:

Ulver

Agalloch

Iced Earth

Children of Bodom

Carcass

Meshuggah

DOWN!-They have one great album but it's one really great album.

and though they've already been said, I strongly second:

X JAPAN!

Guest J0bber
Okay...to those of you posting sarcastic replies: good. Cool. Funny. We get it.

To those of you (J0BBER) who does not understand what a fucking metal band is:

PISS. OFF.

And with that said...no hardcore, no punk, no cock rock, no 70's arena rock bullshit...just metal...

Slayer

Iron Maiden

Black Sabbath

Sepultura (w/ Max)

Cannibal Corpse

Shadows Fall

Motörhead

White Zombie

Pantera

Acid Bath

How do I not know what a metal band is? Is it because I had the guts to stick up for actually creative metal bands that everyone labels "nu metal"? It's not like I nominated Adema or Limp Bizkit. I wanted to have a wide base of sub genres covered when I nominated the bands. Oh yeah, both Derrick's and Max's Sepulturas deserve a nomination.

No, Derrick's really doesn't. When Max and Igor split up, all of the magic of Sepultura died. It's kinda sad that after three Soulfly albums they have surpasses what Sepultura has become. Sepultura went from having excellent-but-simple riffs and amazing tribal drumming to having...well...lame riffs and excellent tribal drumming. I really wish Max and Igor would just kiss and make up. The brothers Cavalera were mint together.

And no, it's not because you put "creative metal bands."

Rob Zombie: Borderline as I'd, personally, say a lot of his songs are metal, but you cannot fucking listen to The Sinister Urge and go "that's a metal album." If you did, you'd have to then call everything Alice Cooper has done heavy metal, since...well...I love Rob Zombie to death, he's one of my idols, but he's had a handful of metal songs since leaving Sean and J to fend for themselves.

Marilyn Manson: NOT FUCKING METAL. Again, you'd have to call Alice Cooper metal, which he's not. He's VERY borderline and had the metal attitude back in the day, but he's NOT METAL. Manson is straight-up shock rock. Fuck, The Dickies and The Plasmatics - legendary punk bands - are more metal than Manson could ever dream of being.

Coal Chamber: Nu-metal bullshit. They're like KoRn...only with less whining and more screaming. Now, if you put Dez's new band, that piece of shit pseudo-death band he has that sounds identical to Otep (who sounds identical to early Kittie before any of them knew how to play) who I forget the name of, then it'd be acceptable since they at least, you know, play METAL.

Mushroomhead and Slipknot are pushing it. I still say Slipknot has more in common with hardcore than it does metal, but Joey's Lombardo-style drumming might make them more metal than hardcore. Mushroomhead, though...yeah, I'll call 'em metal since Faith No More are considered metal.

But really...COAL CHAMBER?! MARILYN FUCKING MANSON!? You might as well have just said Linkin Park and KoRn, dude.

Mushroomhead, though...yeah, I'll call 'em metal since Faith No More are considered metal.

Eh, I wouldn't call Faith No More(at least The Real Thing or Angel Dust) metal. A great deal of it is just "out there" pop rock. Not saying that as an insult as I love Faith No More. There more like what the alternative rock label was really meant for.

Guest Coffey

All I know is Ozzy, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden referred to Marilyn Mason as metal. If anyone knows about metal, it's those three. Those three bands ARE metal. I'm taking their opinion, sorry.

All I know is Ozzy, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden referred to Marilyn Mason as metal. If anyone knows about metal, it's those three. Those three bands ARE metal. I'm taking their opinion, sorry.

And Vinnie Paul referred to Nirvana as a metal band. Drummer of Pantera/Damageplan/Rebel Meets Rebel. Does that make Nirvana metal? No, because they weren't musically metal. Neither was Marilyn Manson.

Oh, and you really should never take Ozzy's opinion on anything. The man's always been a blithering fool. Iommi and Butler defined metal, not Ozzy.

Guest J0bber
No, Derrick's really doesn't. When Max and Igor split up, all of the magic of Sepultura died. It's kinda sad that after three Soulfly albums they have surpasses what Sepultura has become. Sepultura went from having excellent-but-simple riffs and amazing tribal drumming to having...well...lame riffs and excellent tribal drumming. I really wish Max and Igor would just kiss and make up. The brothers Cavalera were mint together.

And no, it's not because you put "creative metal bands."

Rob Zombie: Borderline as I'd, personally, say a lot of his songs are metal, but you cannot fucking listen to The Sinister Urge and go "that's a metal album." If you did, you'd have to then call everything Alice Cooper has done heavy metal, since...well...I love Rob Zombie to death, he's one of my idols, but he's had a handful of metal songs since leaving Sean and J to fend for themselves.

Marilyn Manson: NOT FUCKING METAL. Again, you'd have to call Alice Cooper metal, which he's not. He's VERY borderline and had the metal attitude back in the day, but he's NOT METAL. Manson is straight-up shock rock. Fuck, The Dickies and The Plasmatics - legendary punk bands - are more metal than Manson could ever dream of being.

Coal Chamber: Nu-metal bullshit. They're like KoRn...only with less whining and more screaming. Now, if you put Dez's new band, that piece of shit pseudo-death band he has that sounds identical to Otep (who sounds identical to early Kittie before any of them knew how to play) who I forget the name of, then it'd be acceptable since they at least, you know, play METAL.

Mushroomhead and Slipknot are pushing it. I still say Slipknot has more in common with hardcore than it does metal, but Joey's Lombardo-style drumming might make them more metal than hardcore. Mushroomhead, though...yeah, I'll call 'em metal since Faith No More are considered metal.

But really...COAL CHAMBER?! MARILYN FUCKING MANSON!? You might as well have just said Linkin Park and KoRn, dude.

Let's face it, you're one of those metalcore kids who's jumping on the bandwagon to label every metal band that came out in the mid to late 90s nu metal. Call it nu metal if you want, but bands like Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Mushroomhead and Coal Chamber were far more revolutionary than the bands that are coming out today. They deserve some recognition in the metal scene. I'm sure five years from now when the metalcore scene is dead everyone will be saying how metalcore wasn't true metal.

As for Rob Zombie being "Alice Cooper" metal, I have no problem with that. He does have some great metal songs though like Demonoid Phenomenon, which is why I mentioned him. However, a band you nominated, Black Sabbath, can be termed "Alice Cooper" metal. Ozzy was also a shock rocker back in the day just as Manson and Zombie are now.

I don't know why I like Derrick Green in Sepultura. Maybe it's because his growl is a bit deeper than Max's. I know I'm in the minority when I say Against is one of my favorite Sepultura albums.

bands like Marilyn Manson, Slipknot... and Coal Chamber were far more revolutionary than the bands that are coming out today.

Revolutionary in that they sold their subpar music (though Slipknot improved over time) almost entirely on their respective images, which isn't very revolutionary at all, actually.

If Marylin Manson was Metal, then Nine Inch Nails would be metal, and I'd nominate them. NIN is a far better, and FAR more original band than Marylin Manson. However, they're industrial. I like industrial, I still listen to NIN, Tool and Ministry on occasion, but I don't consider them heavy metal.

Guest J0bber
bands like Marilyn Manson, Slipknot... and Coal Chamber were far more revolutionary than the bands that are coming out today.

Revolutionary in that they sold their subpar music (though Slipknot improved over time) almost entirely on their respective images, which isn't very revolutionary at all, actually.

I didn't necessarily say those bands were revolutionary. I said they are more revolutionary than the metalcore bands that are coming out today. They each had their own identity. Nowadays, there is no character in metal.

I tried listening to some of Shadows Falls's albums, but they were just so terrible I couldn't get all the way through. The t(h)rash metal scene died a long time ago. We don't need people reinventing it. However, I will admit that there are some decent bands coming out like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Every Time I Die who do have a great sound and seem to be coming from the metalcore scene.

Mason metal? Eh, I agree with Corey that he's VERY borderline in the industrial/industrial-metal genre so whether he's actually metal or not is hard to say but I'd say he has a lot more in common with NIN who aren't a metal band but uses metal elements.

Could Rammstein be considered metal? I'd rank definatley rank them in the Industrual-Metal genre though sometimes it's hard to say.

As for Rob Zombie being "Alice Cooper" metal, I have no problem with that. He does have some great metal songs though like Demonoid Phenomenon, which is why I mentioned him. However, a band you nominated, Black Sabbath, can be termed "Alice Cooper" metal. Ozzy was also a shock rocker back in the day just as Manson and Zombie are now.

I don't know, Sabbath is about as metal as you can get. Just listen to "Hole in the Sky" and the riffs off of Master of Reality and see how heavy this band is compared to bands that claim to be metal today.

Almost done compiling results, plenty thanks go out to the jokesters and trolls who have made it ten times harder to sort out actual nominations from fake ones.

Let's face it, you're one of those metalcore kids who's jumping on the bandwagon to label every metal band that came out in the mid to late 90s nu metal. Call it nu metal if you want, but bands like Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Mushroomhead and Coal Chamber were far more revolutionary than the bands that are coming out today. They deserve some recognition in the metal scene. I'm sure five years from now when the metalcore scene is dead everyone will be saying how metalcore wasn't true metal.

FACT: The first CD I ever owned was White Zombie's Astro-Creep 2000.

FACT: I was learning Slayer and 80's Metallica songs on my guitar before I even knew who the fuck Slipknot, KoRn, or Limp Bizkit were.

FACT: You are a stupid fuckwad.

Dude, you really think I'm just one of those "metalcore" bandwagon kids, eh? Oh, so I guess listening to metal since I grew my pubes in, having 200+ CDs chronicling multiple styles of the genre, and being one of the only TSM'ers that have been one of the "TSM Metalheads" since TSM started makes me a fashioncore wannabe bandwagoner.

...yeah, and I guess that means Journey is metal. I mean, they had long hair! And distorted guitars! And solo's, dude! It takes more to be a metal band than Drop-D and palm muting, dumbass. Nu-metal is just pseudo-grunge with screams about how much the overprivileged youth of the nation hate their yuppie parents instead of muttering. Weed replaced heroin, Hot Topic replaced the local thrift shop, and looking like a fucking clown replaced looking like a lumberjack.

Also...what the fuck? "Far more revolutionary"?! Coal Chamber ripped off KoRn (who just ripped off Helmet), Mushroomhead is basically one big Mike Patton love afair with some Ministry thrown in (listen to Mushroomhead, and then listen to Mr. Bungle and Patton-era Faith No More, and you'll see what the fuck I mean), Slipknot is a weak-ass wannabe version of Sepultura and Slayer that stole Mushroomhead's gimmick (the original Mushroomhead masks were eerily similar to the original Slipknot ones, and Mushroomhead predates Slipknot by a few years), and Marilyn Manson just took his favorite elements of KISS and Alice Cooper and tossed some New York Dolls and David Bowie into the mix. I won't deny that SOME of these bands produced some quality music (I've been trying to get my hands on some old-school Mushroomhead to no avail since I love XX and XIII ain't that bad, and Manson produced some quality hard rock up until Holy Wood), but there's a diamond in every rough. Just because one band happens to be good at playing a bastardization of another style of music, that doesn't mean that the music being played isn't a bastardization nonetheless.

Nu-Metal bands (like Coal Chamber and Slipknot) are to REAL metal bands (like Iron Maiden and Exodus) what Pop-Punk bands (like Blink 182 and Simple Plan) are to REAL punk bands (like TSOL and Black Flag): a fucking corporate bastardization, simplified and watered-down to appeal to a larger market that has no idea what the meaning of the style even is.

No, Sabbath really couldn't be. Ozzy did fucked up shit because he was playing to the stereotypes of rock n' roll, and constantly on a vast array of drugs. Sabbath, MUSICALLY, defined heavy metal: heavy distortion, dissonance, an overall sense of power in musical form, and doom. Heavy metal is meant to reflect the darker aspects of society as a whole, not "waah, my daddy raped me when I was 10 so now I'm scared of the dark."

And, again, I fucking love Rob Zombie. Doesn't make his solo work metal, though. Some of it is metal (funny how you say "Demonoid Phenomenon," one of his weakest songs, and fail to mention killer tracks like "Superbeast," "American Nightmare," and even his latest single "American Witch").

I don't know why I like Derrick Green in Sepultura. Maybe it's because his growl is a bit deeper than Max's. I know I'm in the minority when I say Against is one of my favorite Sepultura albums.

Yeah, you are. You'd prolly prefer Soulfly's second album over Sepultura's classic Schizophrenia, too.

Now, onto your second post...

I didn't necessarily say those bands were revolutionary. I said they are more revolutionary than the metalcore bands that are coming out today.

No, you said "than the bands" that are coming out today. Name me one band - one fucking band - that could fall into the nu-metal category that newer bands like Mastodon, High On Fire, or even Unearth aren't better than. Say what you will about Unearth, but Buz can fucking SHRED on guitar, and Trevor writes some damn decent lyrics. Much better than your generic Marilyn Manson "I do coke and worship Satan, but I'm not such a bad guy" message with faux-fascist overtones just to get a rise out of the religious right.

And Mastodon...FUCK. If there's a single band you even listen to on a regular basis that can hold Mastodon's collective pubic hairs then I'd like to hear them.

They each had their own identity. Nowadays, there is no character in metal.

No. Nu-metal was the forerunner to today's "metal," or as I and a lot of others call it, fashioncore. Whiny, generic, and it sounds like a bunch of riffs pasted together with no rhyme or reason just to finish the song. I couldn't tell any nu-metal band apart from the other without seeing their pictures, and even then I saw fishnet shirts, poorly dyed black and purple hair (often long braids or short spikes), and your standard black Hot Topic faux-bondage pants with Doc Martens.

I tried listening to some of Shadows Falls's albums, but they were just so terrible I couldn't get all the way through.

Really? Which one? Because The Art of Balance sucked, the second half of Of One Blood lacks energy and drive, and Somber Eyes to the Sky suffers from terrible production. Listen to The War Within from start to finish and you'll see why Shadows Fall are the only young band that a lot of old-timers actually fucking respect.

The t(h)rash metal scene died a long time ago.

Somebody better go tell Exodus that, since they just released two of their best albums in the last couple of years. Somebody better go tell Slayer that, who are headlining the biggest metal tour in the States this year. Somebody better tell The Haunted that, since, you know, they're one of the most widely-known "newer" metal bands (and yeah, fucky, there's a reason "newer" is in quotes, so do some research). And as for SOD and Kreator and all of those other old-school thrash bands that are making somewhat of a comeback, even if it is post-mortem? Who the fuck needs them!?

We don't need people reinventing it.

You're right, we don't. Fuck off, Susperia! Fuck you for trying to add some of that amazing black metal ambience to thrash metal! Eat shit, Darkest Hour, for even fucking THINKING you could do some 7-minute long heavy thrash-influenced epics! Hey, Bitchslicer, go lick your mother's taint! You too, Despotic Robot, we don't need your fucking jazzy improv and grindcore insanity to be added to thrash metal!

However, I will admit that there are some decent bands coming out like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Every Time I Die who do have a great sound and seem to be coming from the metalcore scene.

Every Time I Die is pretty good. I'm surprised you like them. Dillinger Escape Plan, though, is atrocious. If you like a band that just tries to fit as many annoying riffs into one song as possible, go ahead and listen to them. They're talented, though, I can't take that away from them, but they're music sorta, you know...sucks.

Are you seeing my point yet, J0bber? Thus far you have proven to know about 5% as much about metal as a style as I do...and I'm one of the LESS KNOWLEDGABLE posters here when it comes to heavy metal.

Get a room you dorks.

"My Mastadon is better than your Manson!"

The problem with a thread like this is that inevitably a couple of small children come in and start arguing what is and is not metal. Didn't the thread starter even say don't worry about it, just nominate it if you think it fits?

Although I agree almost 100% with Corey this is really a moronic discussion to be having.

Yeah, it is, but so is every other thread in this folder, or the entire forum, for that matter. Fuck, I think the only debates/arguments/etc. that actually do have any bearing beyond "my dick is bigger than yours" would be some of the ones in Current Events.

Still doesn't stop J0bber from knowing a whole fuck lotta nothing about a style of music I've loved and cherished for as long as I can remember.

I think the only debates/arguments/etc. that actually do have any bearing beyond "my dick is bigger than yours" would be some of the ones in Current Events.

No, not really