TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

ECW One Night Stand 2 Thread

"the fact that their cruiserweight's means absolutely nothing"

Agreed if this was WCW 1992-1998 or ECW, but it's WWE. We've learned that cruiserweights will always be booked like shit, jobbed, and forgotten about.

See: Helms title reign. Mysterio title reign. Kendrick & London's title reign.

Helms wrestles on Velocity against jobbers. Rey loses cleanly every other week. Kendrick & London job on Velocity and Smackdown. SENSE A PATTERN?

Your argument was a "classic feel". Fans need attachment and a sense of a team having a future to actually CARE and make something feel classic, and raw with emotion. Sadly, it wasn't the case.

Bah, I knew I forgot something tonight. I didn't wake up until 8 (out all night playing poker last night), and then I flipped on the Finals and completely forgot about One Night Stand. Too bad too, because this is one wrestling show I actually wanted to see.

"the fact that their cruiserweight's means absolutely nothing"

Agreed if this was WCW 1992-1998 or ECW, but it's WWE. We've learned that cruiserweights will always be booked like shit, jobbed, and forgotten about.

See: Helms title reign. Mysterio title reign. Kendrick & London's title reign.

Helms wrestles on Velocity against jobbers. Rey loses cleanly every other week. Kendrick & London job on Velocity and Smackdown. SENSE A PATTERN?

Your argument was a "classic feel". Fans need attachment and a sense of a team having a future to actually CARE and make something feel classic, and raw with emotion. Sadly, it wasn't the case.

By classic feel I meant in the way the match was booked.

On that night, the crowd was totally into the match and them. They usually get a good pop when they're on Smackdown. I'm not expecting them to totally change the Smackdown tag team division or anything, because as you said, the WWE would never allow it.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

012iy.jpg

The girl is former TNA wrestler, and current OVW wrestler, Trinity. Plus Angle and Credible with Diet Sprite Zero and Diet Coke...because diet sodas are EXTREME.

All I got to say is that I'm glad that RVD has finally become a (WWE/ECW?) world heavyweight champion, he has earned it and I wish him a long title reign. The ONS 2 p.p.v. was everything that I expected, there were some things that were good and there were a few minor things that were WWE crap like Eugene, JBL, Sandman's new entrance music, and Show squashing the ECW cruisers for no apparent reason. These are my personal 3 matches of the night:

-RVD/Cena was a decent match with a huge amount of heat which made the match even better than it was, the finish made booking sense and made both guys look good and strong w/o doing a clean job.

-Rey/Sabu was great and here I'm hoping for Mysterio to get traded to ECW right after FNSD gets cancelled by UPN.

-Foley/Edge vs. Dreamer/Funk was a pretty entertaining hardcore brawling match and all the participants did a great job in shocking those crazy ECW fans.

How come when Orton applied the chinlock it was 'boring', but Angle applies a headlock and the ECW fans creamed themselves for the technical wrestling display~! exactly?

My minor observation after sitting through the first 15/20 minutes then going to bed.

The following is from Dave Meltzer:

The impression I've been given, and this is not official, is that they won't strip Rob Van Dam of the title on TV and when he loses it, it will be in the ring.

... Angle's entrance really sucked as well, I guess they wanted to avoid the "you suck" chants, but they could have given him a rewrite rather than just butchering a recording of his old theme.

You do realise that they used the remix at WWE/ECW, right?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. My point is they took his old theme, cut out the "du du" and pasted it together. They could have redone it so that it flowed better.

How come when Orton applied the chinlock it was 'boring', but Angle applies a headlock and the ECW fans creamed themselves for the technical wrestling display~! exactly?

Angle works into other moves from the headlock, Orton's chinlock is just a lazy rest hold.

Angle works into other moves from the headlock, Orton's chinlock is just a lazy rest hold.

Angle is the king of slapping on a superfluous chinlock late in a match because he doesn't know what else to do.

... Angle's entrance really sucked as well, I guess they wanted to avoid the "you suck" chants, but they could have given him a rewrite rather than just butchering a recording of his old theme.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. My point is they took his old theme, cut out the "du du" and pasted it together. They could have redone it so that it flowed better.

He means, "you're just noticing it now?"

My minor observation after sitting through the first 15/20 minutes then going to bed.

You're joking right? It had nothing to do with the hold, but rather who was applying it. Angle was the face to the fans. Orton was the heel. Not that complicated, dude.

I noticed thta on the special last week. Actually the ecw fans wouldnt chant you suck. I gues sthats for when they do the live ecw show at the sd tapings (which will have alot of wwe fans obviously)

I didnt see the show, is it any good? Ill pick up the dvd probably though.

just heard ECW is having a show my way in August (8/13 at Westchester County Center in White Plains) tix on sale this coming sat. I guess Ill be going.

Angle is the king of slapping on a superfluous chinlock late in a match because he doesn't know what else to do.

Yes, but he didn't do that last night.

The Smackdown taping/ECW event is here next Tuesday. I'm still debating if I want to go. If I do, I'll probably try to get the cheapest tickets I can the day of the show.

The Smackdown taping/ECW event is here next Tuesday. I'm still debating if I want to go. If I do, I'll probably try to get the cheapest tickets I can the day of the show.

makes me think, what is gonna happen when they do the supershow double tapings? guess ecw will be taped thta night too?

All I got to say is that I'm glad that RVD has finally become a (WWE/ECW?) world heavyweight champion, he has earned it and I wish him a long title reign.

Which will end tonight.

The following is from Dave Meltzer:

The impression I've been given, and this is not official, is that they won't strip Rob Van Dam of the title on TV and when he loses it, it will be in the ring.

That worries me and I don't know why.

I have to also say - I'm impressed that Sandman got himself into such good shape. Last year he looked like crap, with the huge beer gut and all. This year, it looks like he completely dropped it. Plus, his new shirt is actually something you could wear without wrestling connotations going along with it to the general public. :)

Guest Ronixis

My Thoughts on the PPV.

Now let me be honest. If things went better for WWE (Beniot out for a sabbatical because of sholder problems and his wife that cant lift a thing because of cancer, Awsome being injered so no second match with Tananka which was planned) this PPV would have been a more the first ONS. If it HHH verses RVD then it would have cemented this PPV as better than ONS.

But such is life, and things fell the way they did. But as for this PPV. It was better than expected. Now dont get me wrong, this isnt 1995-1998. And people going to use 1995 as a baramitor of what will happen in 2006, has to be kidding themselfs.

This has to be a new ECW. Sure, the first ONS showed how much better Heyman was in booking. This ONS however, Laranits, while he will never will be as good as Heyman did the best he can with what he has.

Now as for you people saying Judgment Day was better than ONS, thats fine, I consider ONS just as good as WM22. They were trying to restart a brand, as much as WM22 was trying to save one. The sad thing about Rudo doesnt get is, he might just understand this.

Rudo, this is one of the best PPV's in rebirthing a promotion i have ever seen. It gives TNA pause, and gets them to work harder. If the new ECW succeds, it helps both The Brand and TNA because of this. You think you can have your hardcore and all this. While your anger is warrented, consider this.

You cant win on Nolstaliga. This is the problem with many of the returning cartoons from the 80's. Its a rose color glasses issue. Steph wants to make the buisness "Hollywood", and you dont want to go that route. Rudo, you can be serious in telling me that you back Steph? The writing is bad as it has ever been. Its so badly scripted from jumpstreet and the future stars cant be made because of this. You back this side of the business Rudo?

One of the reasons why ECW came back was to prove to Steph that you cant send hollyweird writers to book shows. God Rudo, they have 15 damn weeks. It wasnt gonna beat last weeks show, because life happens and people couldnt make it there, but it was good as for what it did. Tuseday, this 5 year slumber the american buisness has been in ends, and we start the long road back to prosperity. CANT YOU SEE THAT?

God...

Anyway, match rankings:

Tazz vs. Jerry Lawler: Short. No stars.

Kurt Angle vs. Randy Orton ** 3/4

FBI, accompanied by Big Guido vs. Super Crazy & Tajiri: ** 1/2

Rey Mysterio vs. Sabu *** despite the finish.

Tommy Dreamer & Terry Funk vs. Edge & Mick Foley *** 1/2.

John Cena vs. RVD *** 3/4. The croud is the reason why its has a near 4 stars, a repeat of 97 Starcade and Rock Vs Hogan. RVD is the best seller ever, and Cena is out of his shell...

Guest Human Highlight Reel

RVD finally wins the title, and all that was posted here was how he was gonna lose it on Raw. Not one "RVD wins!". Bloody hell, people.

Fuck, I forgot to come on the forums after the show and let everybody know that Rudo was going to bring the fury on anybody who liked the show.

It wouldn't have stopped him or anything but it might've prevented others from making such moronic statements.

WWE Folder, I apologize.

If they aren't going to strip him of the belt, then what exactly ARE they going to do? I assumed they would do a bizarre half Dusty Finish/half schism brand split with Vince saying RVD was not the WWE champion, but Heyman disagrees and still considers him his ECW champion.

Honestly, the only thing they can do is put RVD in a 3 way at Vengeance with Edge/Cena (and since they are doing Edge/Cena tonight 1 on 1 maybe they aren't doing that match at the PPV). Cena pins Edge or Edge pins Cena, then Heyman calls bullshit and says that in ECW they do a real 3 way and since RVD was never pinned he still considers him his ECW champ. It's a little convoluted, but it could work.

WWE.com reports that the WWE Title situation will be cleared up tonight when RAW starts. The plan at this point seems to be to leave the WWE Title on Rob Van Dam and then have John Cena appear on the debut of ECW TV tomorrow night to pull in a crossover audience.

- Paul Heyman was happy with how the ECW PPV went yesterday.

- Heyman is in charge of ECW booking and creative. Vince McMahon has final say, but Heyman is in charge of the brand.

- John Cena was said to have been a real pro backstage at the ECW show last night, laughing and enjoying himself even though he was told he'd be dropping the WWE Title.

-John Cena apparently loved the crowd reaction to him at the ECW PPV last night and enjoyed how into the show the fans were.

- Triple H and Stephanie McMahon were not at the show. Stephanie is no longer traveling due to the fact that she is eight months pregnant. She is now working out of the WWE offices in Stamford.

- Terry Funk needed 5-7 stitches after his match.

- Both Sabu and Rey Mysterio were OK after their match.

- WWE had offered Matt "Spike Dudley" Hyson a spot on the ECW PPV in a match against The Big Show but he turned the offer down and tore the contract up at TNA Hardcore War on Friday.

- Lou D'Angeli (Sign Guy Dudley) has accepted a deal with WWE to become the Director of ECW Live Events. No word on if he will have a regular on-camera role.

- The word going around at the PPV last night was that ECW will return to the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City on 8/1 for a live Sci-Fi TV taping.

- The next ECW PPV is set for 12/23.

Credit: PWInsider/411