TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

2006 NBA Finals

Series starts Thursday in Dallas. I'll post the rest of the schedule when I find it.

I got Dallas in 6.

I just felt like bringing this exchange back

But if Dallas has also improved each of the last two years without Nash, what does that say about his value? If he was the league's MVP two years in a row, how come Dallas is better without him? Name another team that has given up a back to back MVP and done better because of it. That's why I don't get all of the Nash love. He makes the Phoenix SYSTEM work well, and it doesn't hurt that he had 2 of the other 14 best players in the league with him last year. This year I think there were others who led teams with less assistance to the postseason, and in some cases better records than Phoenix, but that doesn't matter because the media is in love with Nash, the worst multiple MVP winner in the history of all of American pro sports, and possibly the only guy who will ever win back to backs and still not make the HoF in his sport.

Dallas is better? When they make it to the finals they'll be considered better.

Dallas is better without Nash.

I'll also go out on a limb and predict that Phoenix will be worse with Amare next year. He's gonna eat into minutes of guys who got them this far, and he demands too many touches. And let's not forget they were a Tim Thomas miracle 3 away from losing in the 6th game of Round 1 and Nash will be a year older next year.

I'm gonna say Dallas in 7, though I'd like to see Miami in 6. Either Dirk or Wade will get # 1, so it's win/win for me.

I just felt like bringing this exchange back

But if Dallas has also improved each of the last two years without Nash, what does that say about his value? If he was the league's MVP two years in a row, how come Dallas is better without him? Name another team that has given up a back to back MVP and done better because of it. That's why I don't get all of the Nash love. He makes the Phoenix SYSTEM work well, and it doesn't hurt that he had 2 of the other 14 best players in the league with him last year. This year I think there were others who led teams with less assistance to the postseason, and in some cases better records than Phoenix, but that doesn't matter because the media is in love with Nash, the worst multiple MVP winner in the history of all of American pro sports, and possibly the only guy who will ever win back to backs and still not make the HoF in his sport.

Dallas is better? When they make it to the finals they'll be considered better.

Dallas is better without Nash.

I'll also go out on a limb and predict that Phoenix will be worse with Amare next year. He's gonna eat into minutes of guys who got them this far, and he demands too many touches. And let's not forget they were a Tim Thomas miracle 3 away from losing in the 6th game of Round 1 and Nash will be a year older next year.

I'm gonna say Dallas in 7, though I'd like to see Miami in 6. Either Dirk or Wade will get # 1, so it's win/win for me.

Dude, keep your hating in one thread. Noone wants to read your "OMG NASH SUCKS" Crap in every NBA thread.

Dude, keep your hating in one thread. Noone wants to read your "OMG NASH SUCKS" Crap in every NBA thread.

No worries, he's gone fishing. I won't say a word about him until next April at the earliest.

Guest Felonies!
But if Dallas has also improved each of the last two years without Nash, what does that say about his value? If he was the league's MVP two years in a row, how come Dallas is better without him? Name another team that has given up a back to back MVP and done better because of it. . . . the media is in love with Nash, the worst multiple MVP winner in the history of all of American pro sports, and possibly the only guy who will ever win back to backs and still not make the HoF in his sport.

What about the M's having that amazing season after losing Alex Rodriguez, and the Rangers having a +.500 season afterward? I don't think he won it back-to-back, though.

Guest Vitamin X

I like the prospect of this series. I'm actually going to be rooting for the Heat after the celebration that engulfed 100 blocks going east-west (literally because I live off of 87th Ave, AAA is close to 1st, and I was back and forth last night..) cars honking, people going nuts... the town's just really excited for the chance to win another championship (last one was in 2003- fuck this city is really spoiled)

I don't think Dallas parties like we do, but I'm sure they're happy too, and I'm excited that we'll have a first time champ this year. I thought Dallas looked like champions the whole way and that as long as L.A. or Detroit didn't get in their way, they should win the whole thing. I'm sticking to that, but I'm apprehensive as Miami has looked better and better as the playoffs have gone on. I think the Heat benefitted greatly from their disparity in rest against Detroit, and the Pistons never seemed like they were able to recover from the Cleveland series.

If Dallas wins, I'm calling it in 5. If Miami wins, 7.

I think Miami and Dallas are really, really, evenly matched and have both been peaking at the right time of year. You honestly could hardly find an edge based on talent. Thus, I say homecourt will decide it, and in the only proper ending for a playoff season this good, it will be Dallas in 7.

I wonder if Shaq will start ripping Erica Dampier again during the series.

Fixed it for you.

I'd say there's a good chance because the Mavs really have no answer for Shaq. I think a little issue that might be of some importance now is that Mbenga guy still having 5 games left on a suspension for going into the stands last series. Sure, he hasn't seen much playing time, but I bet they'd like to have his 6 fouls to throw at Shaq to give Dampier and Diop a break.

I like the Mavs' depth, balance, and home court, but if Shaq and Zo can cut off the lane from Dirk, it could be a long series for the Mavs (possibly ending in defeat).

Oh yeah, a prediction.

Miami in 6. If they need to run up and down the court with Dallas, they can. Just look at what happened to Jersey, even though they aren't nearly as deep, they were well neutralized.

Dallas can't stop Wade and Shaq, and Miami can't stop Dirk. 2 unstoppable guys to one. Dallas just has no answer.

This is Shaq's last title, and knowing the way he is, he would want to go out on top.

Oh yeah, a prediction.

Miami in 6. If they need to run up and down the court with Dallas, they can. Just look at what happened to Jersey, even though they aren't nearly as deep, they were well neutralized.

Dallas can't stop Wade and Shaq, and Miami can't stop Dirk. 2 unstoppable guys to one. Dallas just has no answer.

This is Shaq's last title, and knowing the way he is, he would want to go out on top.

Is someone going to shoot Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry? Because to my count thats 4 1/2 unstoppable guys (Stackhouse gets a half) to the two of Miami. Dallas in 5 on this one for me.

The bulls proved that the Heat has trouble with teams that can hit from the perimeter, something that Jersey and Detroit can't do on a regular basis.

Simply put, Detroit had about 10,000 wide open 3's and so did Jersey. They had wide open 16 footers. Do that against Dallas and you are going to get your ass smoked.

And that Erica Dampier comment from Shaq stems from when he used to go to Golden State and get tossed around like a bitch by Danny Forson, Adonal Foyle and Eric Dampier. He would get mad because they got all physical with him.

Oh yeah, a prediction.

Is someone going to shoot Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry? Because to my count thats 4 1/2 unstoppable guys (Stackhouse gets a half) to the two of Miami. Dallas in 5 on this one for me.

The bulls proved that the Heat has trouble with teams that can hit from the perimeter, something that Jersey and Detroit can't do on a regular basis.

Simply put, Detroit had about 10,000 wide open 3's and so did Jersey. They had wide open 16 footers. Do that against Dallas and you are going to get your ass smoked.

Terry isn't stoppable, I did forget about him. They can stop the other two. Miami can score too, and Dallas isn't going to be playing good defense when they have to worry about Wade and Shaq. Miami in 6 is a big hunch pick.

And that Erica Dampier comment from Shaq stems from when he used to go to Golden State and get tossed around like a bitch by Danny Forson, Adonal Foyle and Eric Dampier. He would get mad because they got all physical with him.

I know. I don't see why he lets himself get into arguments with role players. That's one thing he does that has always pissed me off, especially considering that he dominates them on the scoring end and winds up getting into bitch fests with them. It makes him look bad.

That's going to be my pet-peeve of this series. The whole Cuban/Stern stuff.

I like Cuban but I don't need the networks talking about what would just be a simple handshake moment.

Bret and Vince shook hands and the whole kept spinning. Cuban and Stern, shaking hands won't shake our foundation.

Guest Vitamin X

A sweep? I think a bit of explanation should come behind that one.

The Mavs are going to score more points than the Miami Heat in four out of six games.

Also, the Mavs have younger legs, a slightly deeper bench, and Pat Riley is evil, and will not win another NBA title as a head coach.

Dallas in 6, though the more i think about it the more i start to lean a little in Miami's direction. Sticking with the Mavericks though, with Dirk to unsurprisingly be the finals MVP.

Its a bizzare series for me, because both teams have guys I like (Dirk, D Wade) and guys I don't care for (KVH, Shaq). The Heat have two guys that probably deserve a ring before they retire ('Zo, Payton).

I hate to say this, but I think I'll be pulling for the Heat in this series, just because a Finals MVP for Wade would make the next ten years very interesting in the whole '2003 Draft Class' story. One of the triple threat gets a ring, and now its time for the other two to step it up. I think seeing Wade get a ring and a trophy will motivate Bron and Melo to play like crazy bastards next season.

That said, the Mavs are very, very strong, and have beaten two quality teams to get this far. Sure, Miami defeated arguably the best team in the NBA, but Dallas have a very strong team.

Regardless of who wins, I'll be watching every game. But I'll say...

Mavs in 6

Miami is going to have real trouble against a team that can score AND defend, something they haven't yet faced in these playoffs. The Bulls came closest to being such a team, and they were the team the Heat had the most trouble with. Beating Detroit wasn't much of an accomplishment in these playoffs.

Mavs in 6.

Mavs in 3

A 3 game series? I think a bit of explaination should come behind that one.

I say Mavs in 6. I want to say 4, but the Heat should win a game or two. We saw the Heat struggle against a team that had two quick scorers at the guard positions in Chicago, and the Terry/Harris combination should hurt them a bit too. No one should be able to handle Dirk either, and atleast you can throw Howard at Wade. Dampier and Diop should do okay on Shaq. Not enough to stop him, but to make him work. Then I like Stackhouse over Walker. I see Stackhouse as being a more consistent scorer. As far as the coaching goes, I think Avery has proven he's the coach of the year in the playoffs, so I also give the nod to him, no matter how many titles Riley has won. I think Dallas should win easy, but i'm hoping it's a tough series.

Its a bizzare series for me, because both teams have guys I like (Dirk, D Wade) and guys I don't care for (KVH, Shaq). The Heat have two guys that probably deserve a ring before they retire ('Zo, Payton).

No, Zo doesn't deserve a ring.

Mavs in 6.