TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

Rob Zombie to direct next Halloween movie

I have high hopes for this.

However, it's just the same'ol; never should've been renade thing. Wicker Man, Ju-On, Black Christmas are all perfect for what they want to be.

Yeah, but omg it's Rob Zombie and he's gonna make it all gory n' shit!

Except part of what made the original great was that it relied heavily on building tension and being suspenseful instead of schlock gore like Friday the 13th did. Taking Halloween and making it super gory has been done before, it's called 90% of the horror genre in the late 70's and 80's.

I'll admit, the trailer didn't look too shabby, but I am still not sure about it. I'll see it eventually, but not sure if I will spend the money to see it in the theater.

But i have faith in the Zombie.

I however have no faith in "The Zombie".

His first two films were crap and I don't see a super gory "re-imaging" (God do I hate that Hollywood bullshit word) of Halloween reversing the trend.

House of 1000 corpses might not have been brilliant (he seemed to be fitting too many ideas and wanking over Texas Chainsaw Massacre too much) but i really enjoyed Devils Rejects, i thought it was a much better film.

Id like to say "i wish hed go back and make music", but after that last album, im quite glad he isnt.

Well, house of 1000 Corpses was just awful. Just awful. Well, I guess aside from Sid Haig's incredible opening.

Then The Devil's Rejects is the most fun exploitation cheap-ass movei till Grindhouse.

I'm Perplexed!

My opinion on House of 1,000 Corpses changes each time I watch it. If Rob cut out half of the "interviews" with the Firefly family it really would have been that much better, because there's enough confusion going on with the music video-like editing to add an aura of danger to the whole thing. Plus, when

Otis blindsides the deputy and the girl's dad with gunfire, and then makes the deputy stay down on his knees for what seems like forever - all the while there's no sound - only to shoot him in the head at point blank range

? That's a perfect indicator of what the grindhouse/exploitation horror was all about: showing you what's happening, and never once letting you forget that it's just a movie.

The Devil's Rejects, though, is wonderful. The cast is perfect (yes, even Sherri Moon Zombie's horribly annoying laugh is perfect), it's violent but not overly violent (for fuck's sake, your average 80's Ahnuld flick had more actual violence in it) while at the same time being gruesome due to the nature of the characters and Rob's directing of it (again: it's there, and you're not allowed to forget it's just a movie). I don't see how anybody could say that it's not amazing. Everything about the movie was spot-on, and even the hilarious moments (

woman gets hit by 18-wheeler

) were so disgusting that if you were to stop and think about why you're laughing you feel dirty and somewhat ashamed. Bill Mosely and Sid Haig are wonderful together, and I wish Rob

didn't kill off the remaining Firefly clan

, because they're so entertaining together that the end of the movie is kind of a letdown.

As for the Halloween remake goes...I guess I'm one of the few horror fans that just doesn't care about it. I've never been too big a fan of serial killer movies (I think the only slasher films I even really like are Freddy vs. Jason for its stupid, tongue-in-cheek fun and indy gorefest Kolobos), and I like Carpenter's other movies better (The Thing owns Halloween in every way, shape, and form). But I do feel that if there were any filmmaker around today that would instantly bring credibility to a remake of Halloween, it would be Zombie. To simply write him off as nothing more than a gore-oriented director is ridiculous. The man grew up on classic horror! I'd wager that there's few other people in/around Hollywood, besides those who experienced it all first-hand, that understands what made horror great in its golden ages (40's to early 50's, and the 70's to early-80's) besides Rob.

Re: his last album

It's no secret that Rob's solo work is completely fucking lame and inferior compared to White Zombie, but Educated Horses is, IMO, the best of his three solo albums, and here's why: the inclusion of John 5, whose solo work has been considered "country metal" due to his inclusion of steel guitar and classic rock groove, to his band has helped Rob create a sound that can truly be considered "horror music." Before, his solo stuff was just generic industrial rock, with the only few standout's being his radio singles. The exact opposite is true with Educated Horses, as the first single, "Foxy Foxy," is actually the worst song on the album. "The Lords of Salem," "The Devil's Rejects," "American Witch," and "Scorpion's Sting" are the best songs he's produced since Astro-Creep 2000 dropped in 1995.

My opinion on House of 1,000 Corpses changes each time I watch it. If Rob cut out half of the "interviews" with the Firefly family it really would have been that much better, because there's enough confusion going on with the music video-like editing to add an aura of danger to the whole thing. Plus, when

Otis blindsides the deputy and the girl's dad with gunfire, and then makes the deputy stay down on his knees for what seems like forever - all the while there's no sound - only to shoot him in the head at point blank range

? That's a perfect indicator of what the grindhouse/exploitation horror was all about: showing you what's happening, and never once letting you forget that it's just a movie.

The Devil's Rejects, though, is wonderful. The cast is perfect (yes, even Sherri Moon Zombie's horribly annoying laugh is perfect), it's violent but not overly violent (for fuck's sake, your average 80's Ahnuld flick had more actual violence in it) while at the same time being gruesome due to the nature of the characters and Rob's directing of it (again: it's there, and you're not allowed to forget it's just a movie). I don't see how anybody could say that it's not amazing. Everything about the movie was spot-on, and even the hilarious moments (

woman gets hit by 18-wheeler

) were so disgusting that if you were to stop and think about why you're laughing you feel dirty and somewhat ashamed. Bill Mosely and Sid Haig are wonderful together, and I wish Rob

didn't kill off the remaining Firefly clan

, because they're so entertaining together that the end of the movie is kind of a letdown.

As for the Halloween remake goes...I guess I'm one of the few horror fans that just doesn't care about it. I've never been too big a fan of serial killer movies (I think the only slasher films I even really like are Freddy vs. Jason for its stupid, tongue-in-cheek fun and indy gorefest Kolobos), and I like Carpenter's other movies better (The Thing owns Halloween in every way, shape, and form). But I do feel that if there were any filmmaker around today that would instantly bring credibility to a remake of Halloween, it would be Zombie. To simply write him off as nothing more than a gore-oriented director is ridiculous. The man grew up on classic horror! I'd wager that there's few other people in/around Hollywood, besides those who experienced it all first-hand, that understands what made horror great in its golden ages (40's to early 50's, and the 70's to early-80's) besides Rob.

Re: his last album

It's no secret that Rob's solo work is completely fucking lame and inferior compared to White Zombie, but Educated Horses is, IMO, the best of his three solo albums, and here's why: the inclusion of John 5, whose solo work has been considered "country metal" due to his inclusion of steel guitar and classic rock groove, to his band has helped Rob create a sound that can truly be considered "horror music." Before, his solo stuff was just generic industrial rock, with the only few standout's being his radio singles. The exact opposite is true with Educated Horses, as the first single, "Foxy Foxy," is actually the worst song on the album. "The Lords of Salem," "The Devil's Rejects," "American Witch," and "Scorpion's Sting" are the best songs he's produced since Astro-Creep 2000 dropped in 1995.

Im gonna completley agree with your first two paragraphs.

The third, i can see your point and the more i think about this, im going to enjoy this film. I mean, i liked ALL of the Friday the 13th movies (apart from the ending of 8) and all of the Nightmare movies (apart from 2, for obvious reasons). Hell, i even enjoyed all the halloween films (apart from resurection, a film i pretend never happened. Like Robocop 3).

But i cant agree with your views on Rob's solo work. Granted, its not as good as his work with White Zombie, and even then, i dont really like La Sexisto. But i fucking love Astro Creep and Super Sexy Swinging Sounds, and most of Kill Them Slowly. But Hellbilly Deluxe is a great album, and Sinister Urge isnt that bad, its not great, in fact its for the most part, shit. But tracks like Feel So Numb and Scum of the Earth wont let me hate the album. Educated Horses on the other hand, sucked. I cant name a track on there i like. I liked American Witch because I thought during the chorus he was saying "yeah" in that way that he does only to find out he isn't. Which sort of tainted the song for me, because i wish he was saying "yeah". For me, Rob's work goes a bit like:

Astro Creep 2000

Hellbilly Deluxe

La Sexisto

Sinister Urge

Kill The Slowly

Educated Horses

That last Halloween movie was pure crap. This is a series that needed a reboot.

I can't decide which new movie convention I'm tired of more: reboots or EPIC TRILOGY. If they sign on Zombie to two more movie so he can "complete the EXTREME trilogy of terror!" I'll probably get someone to reboot my head into the ground. I mean, all it would take to set this apart from the other movies would be renaming the characters and retooling them. It would make sense in that I find the scariest thing about the original Halloween to be that this could randomly happen anywhere, anytime, so having it happen just out of nowhere to some likable characters with an interesting premise and some palpable suspense would be infinitely more interesting to me than trailer trash origin stories of unexplainable evil. But I guess I'm not Rob Zombie.

*If it helps I think that Laurie being Michael's sister is the worst thing that ever happened to the movies.

We have some new bits of news:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/9040

Today the official website was launched for Rob Zombie's Halloween remake, which hits theaters August 31. At the site you'll find a sweet intro, new theme song and what could be a teaser of the new poster. Read on for a peak and watch this spot for updates as they come in. After being committed for 17 years, Michael Myers, now a grown man and still very dangerous, is mistakenly released from the mental institution (where he was committed as a 10 year old) and he immediately returns to Haddonfield, where he wants to find his baby sister, Laurie. Anyone who crosses his path is in mortal danger.

halloween060507eu2.jpg

As excited as I am for this flick couldn't they just wait two months and open it on Halloween...cuz you you know...it's Halloween.

I'm guessing the release date will be Oct 31 or around that time period?

EDIT: nevermind, I saw Aug31st in the trailer, at least in the US.

It doesn't look to bad but I hate the remake idea. Carpenter could have gone back to redue it and I would have still had a problem with it.

I thought Rob's first two movies were lame, though he did improve with his second (a monkey farting on a snare drum would have been an improvement). I'm a fan of Halloween, I always dug how creepy Michael's movements were. I'll illegally pirate it when I get a chance.

From what I've seen, this looks pretty good.

-The trailer seems to indicate that it's not gonna be just a scene-for-scene remake, with all the footage of Michael in the asylum and such.

-Michael Myers killed the Benoits! At least, that's what Geraldo's gonna say when he finds out that Myers is played by Tyler Mane, aka Sabretooth in X-Me... and who used to be a pro wrestling called Nitron, who was Nancy "Woman" Sullivan's bodyguard at one point. One degree of separation~!

-And holy shit, horror & cult movie fans, check out that cast. Malcolm McDowell, Brad Dourif, Udo Kier, William Forsythe, Danny Trejo, Clint Howard, Dee Wallace, Sybil Danning, Bill Mosely, and even Adrienne motherfucking Barbeau. Plus Micky from the Monkees, for whatever reason.

As excited as I am for this flick couldn't they just wait two months and open it on Halloween...cuz you you know...it's Halloween.

I don't think een Halloween can now compete with the new Halloween movie Saw.

But there's no Saw 4 this year. Don't know why they wouldn't wait two more months to get a guaranteed bigger box-office.

Actually, Saw 4 IS happening this Halloween again.

::checks IMDB::

Dammit. And, uh, I never saw 3 (Hah! punnery), but from what I heard about the ending to that one, doesn't it make the idea of another sequel kinda difficult?

Saw is just an awful franchise that didn't need any sequels. I actually enjoyed the first one when I saw it at the TIFF but it was all downhill from there in terms of shitty sequels, and I still can't believe there is a 4 AND a 5 coming.