TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

Rob Zombie to direct next Halloween movie

That's mostly because the other two studios (Universal and Warner Bros.) thought HOTC was too graphic for most audiences, or something like that, which is funny, because compared to say, Hostel II or Devil's Rejects, it's almost tame. Granted, this was before the horror movies became major box office.

Anyways, Rob's been asked to do two more movies for the Weinsteins after this one.

Again, I'm going to a preview screening tonight, so I'll let you guys know what I think of it tomorrow.

The funny part is Donald Pleasance loved the Dr. Loomis character so much that he would reprise his role no matter how awful the sequel was. He would have easily done H20, H:R, and the remake.

Just saw it. Well, I can't say I hated it, but I didn't really like it either. Here's my thoughts. Oh yeah, spoiler alert BTW.

THE GOOD

-

The acting for the most part is actually not that bad. McDowell pretty much steals the show. Scout Taylor Compton is a good Laurie, and Brad Dourif is pretty damn good too. Sheri Moon Zombie actually suprised me, and does a good job when Michael enters incarceration. I kinda felt bad for her character.

-

I love the idea of Micheal making and wearing various masks while in incarceration. It's actually a pretty cool idea, IMO.

-

The nods to the original are nice. (Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" showing up, the kids watching the original 1950's version of "The Thing")

-

Clint Howard! I have a weird thing about the guy. He pulls off having a goatee and moustache pretty well.

-

The fact that Loomis wrote a shitty book about his experience trying to understand Myers. I found it amusing.

-

Plenty of tits and ass.

-

I really liked the image of Michael carrying Laurie. It reminded me of 1930's and 40's era Universal monster movies.

-

The mask looks pretty scary.

-

Don't worry, in spite of what you may have heard, there's no rape scene.

THE BAD

-

I absolutely hate that Michael's family is made up of white trash fuckups. William Forsythe was pretty bad, as was Hannah Hall as Judith Myers.

-

The violence ends up being a detrimate. Some on-screen violence wouldn't have hurt, but it ends up feeling like overkill. I wish Rob would learn a bit about less is more, which worked so well in the original.

-

I never want to see Ken Foree sitting on a toilet again.

-

I really wish we didn't see young Michael killing the bully. It just felt unnecessary.

-

Could have used more of Udo Kier, who only gets a cameo.

-

Also not needed: young Michael being into mutilating and killing animals.

-

Michael taking his mask off, and showing Laurie a picture of him as a kid with a baby Laurie. We don't need Michael to be sympathetic.

-

Michael kills Loomis near the ending. A really bad idea.

-

It just kind of...ends. No resolution, other than Laurie kills Michaels, screams and cries, there's some closeups of her face, we see clips from Michael's childhood, and it ends. Just like that.

So yeah, I'm 50/50 on it.

Well, that sucks to hear. Guess I'll be renting it instead. Do they play "Mr. Sandman"? If not, add that to THE BAD list.

Well, that sucks to hear. Guess I'll be renting it instead. Do they play "Mr. Sandman"? If not, add that to THE BAD list.

Yes, they use it.

I don't know, the movie is just the biggest disappointment of the year for me. It's pretty much just a wasted opportunity, with several "give me a break" moments.

Here's the thing: when you try to humanize Michael, and you give him more of a backstory, he just isn't scary anymore. He isn't the boogeyman-like force of evil anymore. He just becomes another serial killer. That's not what Michael Myers is.

Also, other than Michael's mom (who really didn't need to be a stripper) and at times Laurie, you don't care about anyone in this. You don't care what happens to Laurie's friends, her adopted parents, and eventually, even Michael himself.

IMO, that's one of the biggest problems with horror movies these days. Writers and Director's keep trying to humanize these murderers, and make them sympathetic. Zombie did the same thing with the Firefly Family in Devil's Rejects. I remember people talking about how they actually felt pity for Otis, Spaulding, and Baby when they had been captured and tortured by the Sheriff. I'm sorry, but I just spent the previous hour + watching these people commit some of the most fucked-up torment and murder to an innocent family in a hotel, and you want me to feel sorry for them when the same thing happens to them? Every time the sheriff landed another shot on Baby, and when he nailed Otis to the chair in the basement, I cheered him on the entire time. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that 2 wrongs will make a right, but don't ask me to feel pity for these murderers when karma comes back to bite them in the ass in the form of a a pissed-off William Forsythe.

Well, in better news, it seems like Dimension will be releasing a movie Rob's been working on called "The Haunted World of El Superbeasto." All I know is that it's an animated movie (done by Spongebob creator Stephen Hillenberg) about a luchador who battles various evil villains. This actually sounds like the kind of movie Rob might be good at, since I always saw him doing a campy horror/comedy.

I read the spoilers and I'm going to check it out this weekend. Sounds like something I'd be 50/50 on as well, though.

Also - am I the only one getting tired of Directors constantly casting their significant others in their films? (Ie: Rob Zombie and his wife, Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter, etc) I wonder if these chicks have to audition like everyone else...

Maybe it's just me, but I would have done it all as a prequal of sorts, with most of it being Michael in incarceration. Meanwhile, Loomis continues to try to understand Michael, only to eventually discover that there really is nothing to understand. Yeah, there can be violence and such, but still, I'd just keep it simple, and end it all with Michael's escape. That's what I would have done.

Well, I guess on the bright side is that this piece of the franchise has to be better than what I read about the proposed "Pinhead vs Michael Myers" storyline from a few years ago.

Here's the thing: when you try to humanize Michael, and you give him more of a backstory, he just isn't scary anymore. He isn't the boogeyman-like force of evil anymore. He just becomes another serial killer. That's not what Michael Myers is.

I'm 50/50 on this. In a way, I like seeing the fact that he is actually human instead of the pain resistant superhuman. I don't like the fact Zombie explains HOW / WHY he became evil because it was cool enough that he was just crazy.

The more I think about it, the "Halloween" remake becomes less 50/50 and more "man, what a disaster." It's better thanparts 3, 5, 6, and Resurrection, but I now think it's pretty damn bad. I ended up giving it 3/10 on the IMDB. Oh well.

Hey gf, quick question - in the workprint

there's a horrible scene about 20 minutes or so in where young Michael goes and sits on the curb outside his house because he's sad, and the song "Love Hurts" plays while cutting between his mom dancing at the strip club and young Michael kicking it emo on the curb.

Is that fucking shit in the theatrical version?

I hope it is just so I can laugh my ass off in the theater.

I've watched about 45 minutes of it online, and I hate it. I hate it so incredibly much that I'm not quite sure how to put it into words.

Hey gf, quick question - in the workprint

there's a horrible scene about 20 minutes or so in where young Michael goes and sits on the curb outside his house because he's sad, and the song "Love Hurts" plays while cutting between his mom dancing at the strip club and young Michael kicking it emo on the curb.

Is that fucking shit in the theatrical version?

Yes, it's in there unfortunately.

At least we get a nice shot of Sherri Moon Zombie's ass.

We did get some nice trailers though. The Mist looks good, Hitman seems watchable, and 30 Days of Night looks great.

I'd say this review pretty much nails it. http://horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com/200...oween-2007.html "While better than Resurrection (so is being raped by an elephant), Rob Zombie’s Halloween is such a mess, such a massive disappointment, such a… clusterfuck, that I am almost convinced I didn’t even see the whole movie."

Yep, that pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. Serioulsy Rob, what the fuck?

Also, one of the reasons I wish Grindhouse did better is because I wanted a Werewolf Women of the SS movie to be made after I saw it. Too bad really, as that would have been a riot. At least The Haunted World of El Superbeasto is supposed to be a comedy, and as I already said, I'd love to see Rob do a campy horror/comedy instead of something like the Halloween remake.

I was worried when I heard the work print was a disaster and Rob had to do massive edits and reshoots. Guess my worst fears have been realized (that and they now reveal in the trailer that

Loomis dies, which is crap Rob!

)

Regardless, I'll go see it for 3 bucks later this year. Probably around October is when it'll hit the cheap theater and of course it'll get a sequel I'm sure although that'll probably be pointless as Hills have Eyes 2 was both times around.

Here is the CHUD review.

The final score is a "Fuck You Out Of 10".

Ouch. Man, that reviews roughs Rob up. Seems like the same complaint over and over again with everyone too. Damn, it's starting to look less and less worthy of 3 dollars now.

I think the ironic think about Rob Zombie is how he will interview really well and get a good point across, that being of how Michael Myers has been over-exposed via all the Halloween sequels, and that if he is re-born in a new light, it will make him scary again. That statement right there is just fine and dandy, yet when he puts his vision into action, the only thing he can come up with is to "humanize Michael Myers" I mean COME ON...WTF? How does that make him more scary?

Isn't it time to just give up on the Halloween series? The main problem it has always had is that Michael Myers just isn't all that interesting of a character. He's not as twisted, clever, or terrifying as Freddy Kruger. His backstory and MO aren't as interesting as Jason Voorhees. Michael is just this guy that is a psycho.

Let's face it, when the last decent movie in a franchise was made in 1981, it's time to give it up. Well, okay maybe Halloween 4 was a sorta decent **-**1/2 as well.

I'd have preferred the Halloween series be left along after Pt. 5. I loved the scene with the man in black storming the police station with his machine guy, killing everyone, and helping Michael escape. Has anyone seen the "producer's cut" of Curse? It's supposed to be infinitely better than the theatrical release, and nearly a different movie altogether.

The producer's cut is a bootleg tape. I'm sure a P2P or torrent site has it but I have never bothered to look.

http://www.halloweenmovies.com is loading very slowly right now but they had pictures and brief synopsis of the movie.

The Producers cut is MUCH better but it still needed more expanding as it tried to explain Michael. By that point though, no one really cared. Truthfully I think the producers cut could have breathed life into the series cause it went in a different direction. Course then it was completely abandoned for...whatever the hell happened.

The Producers Cut is pretty good, the one I have seen makes a lot more sense than the original cut. I saw it about three or four years ago. It fleshes the film out, and makes a lot more sense. Some of the gore was cut out of my version, but a pretty good film.

I picked Halloween 4 at a used DVD shop (Multi-Media Exchange) and it's not bad. I got for 11 bucks and it's got decent video and audio. It was a limited edition that came in a tin case. My copy is 1733/40,000.

I'm seeing the film tonight since I got nothing better to do and my friend gets me in for half the price. If it sucks badly, I'll go see Death Sentence the next day or at a drive-in.

I dunno, I try not to think too much and just watch it for what it is. I liked it. I'm not a fan of the Halloween Original series of movies anyways so what do I know. Most horror movies are laugable shit anyways to me. I tend to like a bit of realism in my horror anyways. The whole "Boogeyman who can never be killed and just magically appears wherever to fuck people up" if fun too but meh. I'm a fan of HOTC and Devils Rejects too.

Oh man, it was great!

A couple points: I think you can humanize Michael Myers because we already have a basically perfect movie where they don't. Jesus, let's nail Rob Zombie to a cross because he wants to do something different.

That was actually one of the things I liked most about it: I actually do sympathize with killers, and I myself used to kill cats and shit when I was a kid, and so I think that's good to see in a movie.

Actually, let me just repost my reaction from the secret board for jerks:

I... loved it. It's not the original, but I still loved it. I'm just going to have to admit that I'm a huge fan of Rob Zombie's movies. They're flawed, and I do understand why people don't like them, but it's my kind of thing.

The biggest gripe I had was about the psyche of murderers. Loomis was always my favorite character (still is... Donald Pleasence and Malcolm McDowell? Fuck yeah), but this time his "Michael Myers is pure evil. He is an unstoppable killing machine." bit didn't really work. When you see Mikey as a kid and all, it's obviously not true. He's not even a pure psychopath. Also, I didn't understand how a pudgy, effeminate little boy grows up to be a thousand feet tall.

Then again, maybe Loomis is just a shitty doctor. His shitty book fits in with that. Lot of psychiatrists are idiots.

I saw it, and I like it a little, but just a little.

I found just about all the Mike as a kid crap intolerable. Within 2 minutes of the film starting I was wondering "okay, when is Mike going to butcher his family up?" and thinking "they deserve it." But that didn't happen. It just dragged and dragged.

When it actually got around to adult Mike, I liked it. Huge crazy guy killing folks, providing opportunities for gratuitous breast shots--now that's what I wanted. I like that the deaths weren't too over the top, but plenty gritty and simple, for the most part.

The twists that make you expect it's going to strictly follow the original, then taking it in a different direction--that I liked.

Loomis being dead would suck, but I'm not expecting a sequel anyway.

Also, I didn't understand how a pudgy, effeminate little boy grows up to be a thousand feet tall.

Even more confusing--where'd all those muscles come from?

What the hell time did this movie mostly take place in? Kid Mike is obviously in the 70s, with 70s music playing everywhere, the KISS shirt, etc. But then 15 years later people are still seemingly playing a bunch of 70s music, Mike kills a blaxploitation-style character and...there are cell phones?! Wha?!

A couple points: I think you can humanize Michael Myers because we already have a basically perfect movie where they don't. Jesus, let's nail Rob Zombie to a cross because he wants to do something different.

Hey, when buddy decides that he wants to fuck with a piece of history, a horror classic, and especially - a piece of my childhood.. then he fully opens himself up to any cross-nailing that might come his way.

Rob Zombie owes the movie going horror fan, not the other way around.

Hey, when buddy decides that he wants to fuck with a piece of history, a horror classic, and especially - a piece of my childhood.. then he fully opens himself up to any cross-nailing that might come his way.

Rob Zombie owes the movie going horror fan, not the other way around.

First of all he didn't fuck with a piece of history. He made his intrepretation of an older story, WITH THE BLESSING of John Carpenter, I might add. Not only that but he made it perfectly clear that he never intended this to replace the original and it won't. Will the orignal Halloween disappear because this movie was made? Will the existance of that movie be erased from everyone's memory, and retail store's shelves? If you don't like it, don't watch it again. If you didn't see it (I'm not going to go back through the thread to see if you did), stop your whining cause you have no basis to complain other then hearsay.

And Rob Zombie owes horror fans NOTHING and neither do they to him. Whatever gave you the notion of either? He's a fan of said movies and he made a movie that he thought he would like. It wasn't done to please the entire population of crybabies on the internet who do nothing but bitch about shit.

I haven't seen this yet, and am going to see it tongiht. If I like it, cool. Zombie made another movie that I thought was awesome for what it was. If I think it suck, oh well, no big deal... 7 bucks down the drain. I gaurentee you there won't be a post on some message board about how Rob Zombie remade a movie, which in turn caused me to question my existance on this earth. The way you put it, it is like your entire will to live depended on this movie and now that you didn't like it (assuming you've seen it) you believe that Rob should be sacraficed for his sin against your holy beliefs. No go listen to some whiney bitchy music and paint your eyes black and write a blog on how your life is over and that you entire world is crumbling.