TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hank Kingsley

Music DVDs

Either live concerts or documentaries. Which ones are the best?

I have limited experience in the field but really love No Direction Home. I actually thought of this topic because I was browsing Circuit City today and saw I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, about Wilco's struggles in releasing Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Intriguing. Has anyone seen it?

I'm thinking about picking that up, along with Ziggy Stardust and The Last Waltz. Also, are there any DVDs that alone made you become a fan of a band or artist?

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart is really good, I found. Even if you don't like Wilco, I could see you enjoying it.

Guest Felonies!

He does like Wilco, though.

That's been on my list of ones to check out. I bet The Last Waltz is really good. Stay away from Meeting people is easy., unless you think Thom Yorke getting inordinately exasperated about being a famous successful musician makes for a compelling documentary. It really doesn't. You know the Mr. Show sketch where they're doing the MTV interview with Bob and David as Oasis members that just go "....dunno."? In the commentary, Bob says they were actually trying to do Radiohead impersonations. Bob: "They're fucking dicks, man. Such dicks." I love their music a lot, but Thom's whole schtick exhausts me.

Well, yeah, but I meant that if you like Wilco, you'll most likely like the movie, and even if you don't like Wilco you'll still like it. I was just making a general statement not directed at anyone in particular. The Last Waltz is really good. Also, The Concert for Bangladesh is quite good, too.

Guest Felonies!
Well, yeah, but I meant that if you like Wilco, you'll most likely like the movie, and even if you don't like Wilco you'll still like it.

like like like like like

I bought a DVD of Tom Petty music videos for $9. It's really good!

After seeing the sillyness on one Greatful Dead tape(I think it's called Ticket to New Year's) where they overlay bad effects over the jams, the simple "show the band playing" approach of Truckin' Up to Buffalo was quite nice. It's also a plain nice concert with the band pretty hot despite it being after Jerry's coma.

I'll have to say that SOD's Speak English Or LIVE is quite good. A shitload of footage besides just the concert in '92 (including quite a bit of old footage from The Ritz during the tour to promote Speak English Or Die), and in-between every few songs are interviews with Scott and Charlie and then Billy and Dan. Billy is pretty funny during his interviews, too, but it's his usual profane and childish sense of humor.

Also, the "looking back" interview with the band and the producer of Speak English Or Die isn't that bad. Also, the recording sessions of Bigger Than The Devil are featured, and Billy and Dan steal the show.

I have a DVD with two Cabaret Voltaire concerts. The shitty picture and audio quality and lack of extras make it a rather shitty DVD. I gotta sell that one some day.

Is Pennebaker's Don't Look Back worth checking out if I already have No Direction Home? It seems like an awful lot of footage was taken from that film/during that time period anyway.

Last Waltz and I Am Trying to Break Your Heart are really the two that stand out for me. Last Waltz is a must see for any music fan.

Keller Williams - Sight is a pretty cool live performance dvd. He does a lot of looping and multi instrumentation that is cool to see and he has a good sound.

Is Pennebaker's Don't Look Back worth checking out if I already have No Direction Home? It seems like an awful lot of footage was taken from that film/during that time period anyway.

Yes.

Two Social D ones,

Another State of Mind (Documentary) which is pretty neat to see the band in their infancy and as young guys on tour with Youth Brigade and Minor Threat

Live in Orange County (Live Show) this is chock full of neat extras like an acoustic performance of "Bad Luck" in the bathroom at the Anaheim House Of Blues. If nothing else it shows how much the band has evolved.

Completely different takes on the subject. DLB is interesting mainly because you learn Dylan was so completely full of shit and like one of the biggest assholes extant. Made some great albums, though.

The Last Waltz is also interesting, but not terribly good. You wanna see a whole bunch of musicians on coke and Martin Scorsese suck Robbie Robertson's dick? There ya go.

That's been on my list of ones to check out. I bet The Last Waltz is really good. Stay away from Meeting people is easy., unless you think Thom Yorke getting inordinately exasperated about being a famous successful musician makes for a compelling documentary. It really doesn't. You know the Mr. Show sketch where they're doing the MTV interview with Bob and David as Oasis members that just go "....dunno."? In the commentary, Bob says they were actually trying to do Radiohead impersonations. Bob: "They're fucking dicks, man. Such dicks." I love their music a lot, but Thom's whole schtick exhausts me.

WHY DON'T YOU WRITE A SONG ABOUT IT, DICKHEAD?

Peter Gabriel - Play, the Videos

U2 - Rattle & Hum

Pearl Jam - Touring Band 2000

Neil Young/Crazy Horse - Year of the Horse

Guest Felonies!

WHY DON'T YOU WRITE A SONG ABOUT IT, DICKHEAD?

Well played.

It does have a good performance of "Big Ideas" though, so I give the film credit for that.

I am waiting for the second Maiden documentary DVD to come out. The first one was downright awesome, with tons of concert footage.

I want to get Death on the Road, but there were some major issues with the sound and video quality.

Gimmie Shelter's a great one,

If only to see the whole "We can change the world" attitude of the 60's die in one hectic drunken Hells Angels killing night.

Blur: The Best Of is really awesome if you like Blur, it has all their music videos on it from She's So High to No Distance Left To Run.

Unfortunatley, I don't like Blur.

Metallica Live Shit: Binge and Burge is a great live CD/DVD/VHS

The Seattle concert from 88/89 is probably on of the best concerts they have ever performed.

"Gigantic: A Tale Of Two Johns" is a really good They Might Be Giants documentary, really helped by the strong list of collaborators and the fact that both John's come across as funny, likeable guys