TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iliketurtles

Has Mick Foley ruined his legacy?

The problem with Foley is that WWE is promoting him the same way they promote Hogan in that they have the "legend" make the comeback to putover whoever is the flavor of the month for a couple PPVs for the short term. And when the nostalgia charm wears off after a couple of weeks of the same old shit of cheap pops, buy my book, and socko bits Foley disappears back to where he came from only to return some 10 months later to repeat the cycle. I personally did not give a damn about the Orton feud because I knew Foley better than the flavor of the month rookie who brought nothing to the table other than "HHH and Flair is letting me join their fake Horseman stable and Dibiase is letting me use his pose!". The hardcore match of Foley vs Orton is one of the most overrated matches to ever be produced by the WWE. Whooty fucking do Orton took a thumbtack bump that match is ***** based on that? So if you tell yourself the same lie over and over and over again it somehow becomes the truth? Nothing really came out of this other than a +1 transitional title change for HHH and a few loses to Undertaker. So Foley lost to Orton for nothing in the long run. Foley then takes some time off only to return to feud with Carlito over some stupid shit that again means nothing to Carlito or Foley in the long run. Again Foley goes back to write some kiddie books and New York Post top sellers only to return to feud with Edge over some some shit I can't remember cause my short term memory can't remember anything longer than 3 months. So the Edge vs Foley feud leads up to the ECW style hardcore match at Wrestlemania which Foley claims to be the best damn hardcore match ever! Then a few weeks later they have a rematch on Raw but this time Foley brings in everybodys favorite ECW underdog Tommy Dreamer for the 3-Way-Dance which was 3 minutes of pure garbage...oh and Foley turns on Dreamer what a surprise. So now Foley takes SCSA spot in the invasion rehash and shooting on Paul E. in debates about how it was working in the great bingo hall in south philly. If this is Mick Foley's farewell tour then it better fucking put somebody over in the long run cause I don't think I can stand another Dude Love or Corporate Mankind return out of retirement just so he can attempt to put over the next flavor of the month from OVW in the next 18 months. Will all of this buildup to the return of ECW mean anything or will the new ECW be forgotten in 6 months? Looks like Foley just wasted his time again and making his legacy a joke if it isn't perceived as such already. The hardcore fans will remember all of the "classic" matches he had from every fed he worked for but the casual fan will remember what he did last and if his last match was something lame like a beatdown by the Spirit Squad or kissing Vince's ass then all I have to say is.....

YOU SOLD OUT! YOU SOLD OUT! YOU SOLD OUT! and never show you face on tv again.

I can see the future...

"Now Mick, you seemed to have some trouble with Mr. Socko last night on Raw."

"Well Jr Junior, I went into my pants and grabbed a limp, soft object and needless to say, it wasn't a sock."

Guest Overworked

I think what the problem turns out to be is that Mick Foley can't reinvent himself anymore. Over the span of his career, hes been Dude Love, Cactus Jack, Mankind, he's been heel he's been face, he's been both and thirds or whatever. But when the gimmicks dropped away and all thats left is Mick Foley. Thats what he has been running by. Ever since his career ending match and the subsequent matches afterwards of the past years he has been operating in the ring as himself more or less. Coming out with sort of an heelish anti ECW kick to him after being a proponent for ECW all this time seems a bit cheesy.

He has been relegated to that status of a seasonal wrestler, who is brought back to either put someone over or to sell tickets alla Hulk Hogan, but unfortunately, he isn't a Hulk Hogan. He is the great huggable lovable Hardcore maniac with a torn ear and a few screws loose, literally...but unless you use him right, he has become more or less a luke warm recieving performer. And they are Not using him right.

I loved Foley's WWF run 96-00. Favorite Attitude era character hands down. Even his Commish run there after was nothing but awesome. But he really is killing a part of legacy if this is his great "creative" idea he pushed to Vince a month or so back in Foley is Blog (which it has to be). He has to have creative control at this point, so it can't just be "Foley had an idea then WWE creative killed it." My boardline mark/smark friend had a scary idea: Foley/Edge lose and say it's to Dreamer by pinfall. He declares the Hardcore belt the ECW World title, instead of the WWE or World Championship being sacrificed.

The way ONS II has been booked, I can see it happening. I'm still on the line as far as ordering it.

He hasnt ruined his legacy but it is becoming weaker and weaker by every passing week right now. He used to be a big favorite of mine abck in 1994 and I always held him in high regard but the latest Foley stuff just havent been that good. I enjoyed some parts of the Edge angle and the match itself was awesome but apart from that + the Carlito bullshit he's sunk down a notch.

And the ECW feud is weird because Foley is alligned with a heel. A heel he feuded with just before he became friends with him nontheless. This makes people boo this alliance. However their competition is ECW who also is portrayed as the heels in the eyes of WWE. Maybe ECW could be said to be tweeners. This leads to the bad reactions for both sides. Because if you havent noticed ECW isnt nearly as over as it was around this time last year.

Would Foley/Edge II worked out better for ONS than this friendship angle?

Yes, definately. Boh the angle and the match would have been better I think. They are working against the odds now with a stupid angle and 3 guys who arent all that active in the ring anymore.

Would Foley/Edge II worked out better for ONS than this friendship angle?

The only way I can see going anywhere would be if Foley turns on Edge at ONS during a hot tag spot and somebody like say the Brood makes the save setting up Foley/Dreamer vs Edge/Grangel.

Foley has been relegated to that status of a seasonal wrestler, who is brought back to either put someone over or to sell tickets alla Hulk Hogan, but unfortunately, he isn't a Hulk Hogan

Hogan comes back for "dream matches" What does Foley come back for other than job to some midcard kid that should'nt be on the main show? Maybe a miracle will happen and after all of this Edge comes out of this looking like championship material but I doubt it.

Yeah, that great Foley promo last night...except that it made no sense. Nor does his entire angle. And the presentation was over the top.

Foley has great delivery but he needs some decent material and the illusion of spontaneity to make the whole thing work.

i think foley takes himself a little too seriously. because of the praise his ecw interviews got, he believes people would care about a 20 minute self-serving, monotonous, and cliched anti-hardcore? come on, mick. do something original if you're gonna come back. this whole heel turn hasn't made any sense. its boring. and its the reason that this whole fued is shitty. that & the fact the funksters next investment looks to be a walker.

The hardcore match of Foley vs Orton is one of the most overrated matches to ever be produced by the WWE. Whooty fucking do Orton took a thumbtack bump that match is ***** based on that? So if you tell yourself the same lie over and over and over again it somehow becomes the truth?

I saw that match live and completely agree, it was nothing I hadn't seen before and the fans couldn't give any less of a shit about Orton, before or after the match. All the heat was directed at Foley. Even after the show when we saw Batista & Orton in a car, everyone surrounded Batista's side to get his autograph, and only a couple fat chicks surrounded Orton's... Despite the fact that Batista wasn't even on the card and Orton just beat Mick Foley in the second biggest match on the show!

I still find Foley very entertaining on the mic, but I do think he's not as good in the ring as he used to be(which is to be expected, I guess). If were gonna make comparisons here, I'd say Flair was in a much worse position than Foley. As another poster said, Flair jobbing to Umaga is a bunch of crap. I mean, it's not like Undertaker jobbing to that no-talent Khali, because you know sooner or later, Taker will return and seek "revenge"(and beat Khali cleanly), whereas after Flair jobbed the feud with Umaga was quickly forgotten. Foley hasn't jobbed to anyone ridiculous since his current run.

As for not sticking to retirement stipulations, Foley's certainly not the only one guilty of that, so I don't think it's fair for us to take out our collective fustration about that on him.

Foley would do well to divorce himself from ECW, but I actually like this partnership with Edge(a cool heel), even though the angle was not reasonably explained.

Current actions, should have no affect on your memories.

It shouldn't...but sad to say it does. For example...back in the day in my kayfabe prime I was a fan of Lawler. I'd put some of his matches against Savage, Funk, Austin Idol or Eddie Gilbert against any classic match of any era. These days Lawler basically relegated to a color commentator that fights a handicap match every night with puberty and his libido. And the sad truth is yes...Lawler is known for more than shouting "puppies." But it's that shouting that tarnishes what he did in the past.

I think Foley and Carlito was the jump the shark moment although Foley is nowhere close to Flair in terms of being a complete shell of himself. The idea for the ecw turn was a good one, but executed all wrong. The teaming with Edge is stupid too. Personally, take his former tag champion partners Rock or Austin in the role against ecw and now something would be cooking. Then again, maybe Austin would have to borrow Funk his kneebraces during the match.

I still don't understand Edge and Foley teaming up. It has to be more logical, like with HHH and Michaels.

Oh wait, nevermind

Foley's current association with TNA has done nothing but help him really. His career in WWE really tailed off towards the end, but now he's back, and he's enjoying himself with his character.. That's what Mick Foley has always been about.