TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Celtic Guardian

Zarqawi's dead!

From AP via Yahoo:

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the al-Qaida-linked militant who led a bloody campaign of suicide bombings, kidnappings and hostage beheadings in Iraq, has been killed in a U.S. air raid north of Baghdad, Iraq's prime minister said Thursday.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said al-Zarqawi was killed Wednesday evening along with seven aides.

The Jordanian-born militant, who was believed to have personally beheaded at least two American hostages, became Iraq's most wanted militant, as notorious as Osama bin Laden, to whom he swore allegiance in 2004. The United States had put a $25 million bounty on al-Zarqawi, the same as bin Laden.

In the past year, he moved his campaign beyond Iraq's borders, claiming to have carried out a Nov. 9, 2005, triple suicide bombing against hotels in Amman, Jordan, that killed 60 people, as well as other attacks in Jordan and even a rocket attack from Lebanon into northern Israel.

This is good news for the long run. I think though that this could spark an increase in attacks for a couple of weeks.

Guest JustPassinBy

This is the best news since the fall of the Taliban.

Capturing Hussein was a good move symbolically, but at the time he was on the run and didnt really have much power.

Zarqawi OTOH yielded alot more power. He was like the Bin Laden of Iraq.

Excellent job troops!

Just remember, there were announcements that he was dead in 2005 too.

I was awake last night around 1:30 AM CST (couldn't sleep) and was flipping through the channel. Surprisingly, I saw this first reported on ABC network's Late Night News (or whatever it's called) in a special report. MSNBC had something about 30 minutes later, followed finally by CNN.

Just thought people might find that interesting.

Guest JustPassinBy

They also killed the #2 Al Qaueda guy in Iraq that was travelling with Zarqawi.

Good job American special forces!

CNN.com's article says they bombed his safe house.

Doesn't sound like it was too safe to me!

What would be really interesting is if that wasn't the target and a stray bomb hit it.

Well if he's dead, good I suppose. I just wonder which insane mass murdering monster is going to step up and take his place.

Guest JustPassinBy

The price of Crude Oil has dropped 1.42 since the announcement. Its fell to under $70/barrel for the first time in 8 weeks.

There is a terror risk premium out there concerning Crude, but if Iran accepts the UN's offer on their nuclear ambitions It hink you'll see the price fall even more.

Its about time we got that little bastard! USA! USA! USA!

:D

so all we have to do to lower gas prices is kill terrorists?

Yes, less terrorist mean the companies cannot claim threat to oil product in countries like Iran and Iraq. Essentially.

Now mutilate his body publicly and string him up.

Yeah, wouldn't be a backlash to that. Need to get his damn face off television. They are already going to be pissed, I'd rather not us help them with recruiting for the future anymore than we have in the past.

Guest JustPassinBy
so all we have to do to lower gas prices is kill terrorists?

That will take about 15 bucks out of the price of crude IMO.

However, it wont stop the supply/demand problem with supply remaining constant, and demand skyrocketing in china and India.

If Iran wasnt a problem and Iraq was peaceful, and Venezuela didnt have a guy threatening to drop OPEC production, I'd say US gas prices would be $1.45-1.55. I think OIL would drop to 45 bucks a barrel. There wouldnt be that constant threat of damaging the supply chain that keeps futures prices up.

But hey, one towel-head down, right!?

I know! How dare they kill this peaceful, hard working, and loving family man! Huh? What's that you say? He devised plans that lead to the gruesome and heartless deaths of hundreds (perhaps thousands in the end) of people? Oh...well he's still human and doesn't deserve that regardless!

</People like Curry>

Pretty sure Curry was referring to the jingoistic reaction to this sort of news. (see: Deon and Invader's response).

Oh, and apparently a woman and child were also killed in the bombing coffee.gif

Pretty sure Curry was referring to the jingoistic reaction to this sort of news. (see: Deon and Invader's response).

Oh, and apparently a woman and child were also killed in the bombing coffee.gif

Yeah it was his family. It's a damn shame but the problem being he has been taking his family with him everywhere he went. Odds are his death will also lead to the execution of the hostage they have as well. So pretty much, three innocents will die but it was getting to be a situation where they finally knew where he was going to be without doubt and went with it.

Damn shame though.