TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. S£im Citrus

Covers you liked better than the original?

Land of Confusion

Also, Manson's "Personal Jesus/Reach Out and Touch Faith" song totally owns the 80's version, which I just heard on the radio for the first time in forever, and is really lame.

Fuck no. Depeche Mode's original kicks Manson's sorry ass.

Sorry about that. It's just that Depeche Mode is one of my favorite bands, and I really hate Manson's cover of that song.

Manson also did a terrible cover of "Highway to Hell"

Depeche Mode's version of Personal Jesus is so much better than Manson's or Cash's. It's such a great song for driving around.

Shit, you can't beat the breathing solo!

Personally, a lot of what Manson does lately sucks. Golden Age of Grotesque anyone?

Also, there's the horrible cover of "A Little Help From My Friends" that he did. Hell. the guy should just be barred from covering songs.

Oh, have I mentioned some of the awesome covers Sonic Youth has done?

-Ca Plane POur Moi, kick ass.

-Superstar (best cover ever, IMO)

-NOw I wanna be yr dog (I like Iggy's version better, but damn is this one raw)

-Bubblegum

-Moist Vagina

All the covers on the 'Ciccone Youth' Whitey album are hilarious, and arguably better than the originals. Well, maybe not the Mike Watt song,but damn if it isn't funny.

http://saucerlike.com/downloads.php

Couple are here.

I'm not Manson-head or whatever, hell, I dress preppyish, but I've always found his more popular songs, like "Disposable Teens", "Long Hard Road Out of Hell", "Personal Jesus", "The Beautiful People", and "Fight Song" to be good (not great) songs.

Since I've rarely heard anything about his non-radio hits, I suppose that may mean that you're right, and Manson isn't that great at all. But to simply rip those songs, especially when they're both powerful and easy to listen to, plus sound cool, I don't understand.

I'm not Manson-head or whatever, hell, I dress preppyish, but I've always found his more popular songs, like "Disposable Teens", "Long Hard Road Out of Hell", "Personal Jesus", "The Beautiful People", and "Fight Song" to be good (not great) songs.

Since I've rarely heard anything about his non-radio hits, I suppose that may mean that you're right, and Manson isn't that great at all. But to simply rip those songs, especially when they're both powerful and easy to listen to, plus sound cool, I don't understand.

Favorite Manson song of mine is "Angel With The Scabbed Wings"

I wouldn't say I like the cover better, but I dug The Fugees version of "No Woman, No Cry" and I do like thier "Killing Me Softly" better.

Motley Crue's cover of "Smokin' In The Boy's Room" was good too.

Depeche Mode's version of Personal Jesus is so much better than Manson's or Cash's. It's such a great song for driving around.

Shit, you can't beat the breathing solo!

This entire post is pure, unfiltered fact. Although the acoustic guitar in the Cash version is pretty rad, but it sort of gets repetetive at the end of the song.

Favorite Manson song of mine is "Angel With The Scabbed Wings"

I give so much love to Portrait it's not even funny. If Manson had continued with the style he had going on that album, I'd like him that much more. But, oddly enough, after Portrait of an American Family, my favorite album of his is Mechanical Animals. Start-to-finish, it's just quality. Everything after it is shit, though. "Fight Song" is pretty much just Blur's "Song 2" without the brevity that makes it work, and "Disposable Teens" is just a modification of the main riff of "The Beautiful People."

But yeah. "Snake Eyes & Sissies" and "Dogma" would have to be my favorite Manson songs, and some love to "Coma White."

Diamanda Galas-Dancing in the Dark

The menacing piano and her terrifying vocal gymnastics making for one of the scariest listening experiences ever.

Love Will Tear Us Apart-Swans

The organ and Jarboe's delicate vocal approach leaves a bittersweet impression the more upbeat original couldn't create that well.

Black Eyed Dog-Swans

Jarboe turns the sad gloom of the original into paranoid/horror that fits the lyrics just as good.

Oh, and resolved: Uncle Tupelo's "I Wanna Be Your Dog" surpasses the original.

uhm, no.

I just noticed this, and yes. Why? John Cale didn't understand this band at all. I hate his production on the original Stooges recording of it, as well as the rest of the album it came from. Too clean and sterile; plus, mixing Iggy's vocals so high in the mix was total idiocy. Why attract attention to the lyrics, which was the one bad thing about the band? Had the s/t been less sanitary and more sleazy like Fun House, I would never have stated the above.

Also, there's the horrible cover of "A Little Help From My Friends" that he did. Hell. the guy should just be barred from covering recording songs.

Fixed.

Guest DRH 502

"My Minds Playin' Tricks On Me" Kottonmouth Kings will always be better than the Geto Boy's version. Though, I must admit I had fun singing along with Necro Butcher and some fat dude on the way to Hodgenville singing the latter.

"My Minds Playin' Tricks On Me" Kottonmouth Kings will always be better than the Geto Boy's version. Though, I must admit I had fun singing along with Necro Butcher and some fat dude on the way to Hodgenville singing the latter.

Well, now, good to know I can instantly discount your opinion on most anything.

uhm, no.

I just noticed this, and yes. Why? John Cale didn't understand this band at all. I hate his production on the original Stooges recording of it, as well as the rest of the album it came from. Too clean and sterile; plus, mixing Iggy's vocals so high in the mix was total idiocy. Why attract attention to the lyrics, which was the one bad thing about the band? Had the s/t been less sanitary and more sleazy like Fun House, I would never have stated the above.

I don't really want to be a jerk here, but I'm just going to have to shut you down on that one. First of all, I agree-- he Uncle Tupelo version is better. And the mixing on the first Stooges album IS very unfit for the group's sound.

But, John Cale doesn't have as much to do with the poor mixing as you think. John Cale PRODUCED the album, sure, but it should be noted that when he turned the album in to Elektra Records in 1969, the sound WAS slightly sleazier and the vocals WERE lower in the mix. It was actually Elektra head Jac Holzman who took the album, and remixed it in the way that it was eventually presented. He himself raised the volume of the vocals in order to make the sound more commercial and whatnot.

So, yeah-- not John Cale.

I remember a Led Zeppelin tribute album about 10 years ago and I thought the Hootie and the Blowfish cover of Hey, Hey, What Can I Say was better than the original. As was STP's version of Dancing Days. Sheryl Crow's D'Yer Mak'er was awful however. I think I feel this way mainly because I have never much cared for Robert Plant's voice.

I think Juice Newton's version of Angel of the Morning is better than Merilee Rush's version.

I'm amazed anyone would say Metallica's lousy cover of Sabbra Cadabra. But then again I think most Sabbath covers are hideous, including the covers Ozzy himself has done with others.

uhm, no.

I don't really want to be a jerk here, but I'm just going to have to shut you down on that one. First of all, I agree-- he Uncle Tupelo version is better. And the mixing on the first Stooges album IS very unfit for the group's sound.

But, John Cale doesn't have as much to do with the poor mixing as you think. John Cale PRODUCED the album, sure, but it should be noted that when he turned the album in to Elektra Records in 1969, the sound WAS slightly sleazier and the vocals WERE lower in the mix. It was actually Elektra head Jac Holzman who took the album, and remixed it in the way that it was eventually presented. He himself raised the volume of the vocals in order to make the sound more commercial and whatnot.

So, yeah-- not John Cale.

I'll give you the mixing, but the production is still Cale's doing, so yes, he deserves blame.

mix be damned, the song is meant to be dirty. on the opening guitar riff alone, the song is already more successful tha tupelo's. admittedly i'm not too too fussy when it comes to particular mixes (remixes) of albums, so that aspect of the argument never struck me at all. the tupelo version reminds me of the tongue in cheek covers phish used to do. it doesn't represent them at all. in fact, when i think of that song, i ONLY think of iggy. i couldn't imagine any other artist slithering across the stage yelping the chorus. even watching reunion shows of the stooges on dvd or live albums, when i hear that opening riff i get the little goosebumps. its a matter of preference, i don't think i could definitivly say either one is better, but for this guy, stooges all the way.